Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

I don't see a carve out for energy on this new legislation - dated today. Can someone who's good at translating diplomatic to English give a take?

Direct link to the download: https://t.co/Fn7SfoG8SL

https://twitter.com/maria_shagina/status/1498343358145650705?t=ANlQ_OPYrrfyjBEl6nwYjw&s=19

Belgium isn't loving around. :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm assuming if the US wanted to help Ukraine with special forces, the Green Berets would be the ones to use here?
They'd be deployed to train the locals as insurgents or soldiers that can fight?

Probably, yes. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that's happening right now, but if so it would be done very, very secretly.

Edit: It would be an extremely risky thing to do for the reasons outlined a couple posts above. Then again, we had people in Syria for years before the press really picked up on it. That said, I think it'd be more likely to train Ukrainians in Poland, and then send them back across the border. I don't really know though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Putting Ukraine into the EU accession process would be a decent way of playing Putin's frozen conflict trick against him - formalising the notion that as far as the EU concerned an occupied/annexed Ukraine is in the process of joining and being prevented by Russia gives European leaders a little wiggle room in future to say "well of course I would like to try some normalisation of relations, but there's this issue here..."

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Hello;

My son is looking to go over to Poland to help with humanitarian aid. I told him to contact MSF and the red cross, is there any other organizations he should call as well?

This really depends on what he wants to do and what his background is. I’m here in Poland and can help figure it out - PM me or email kylofon@gmail.com .

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/jason_corcoran/status/1498343208094478354

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

DoomTrainPhD posted:

They have a history with big bullies.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

”Brussels“ means the entire EU here, not just Belgium. The European Commission is there.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

I don't see a carve out for energy on this new legislation - dated today. Can someone who's good at translating diplomatic to English give a take?

Direct link to the download: https://t.co/Fn7SfoG8SL

https://twitter.com/maria_shagina/status/1498343358145650705?t=ANlQ_OPYrrfyjBEl6nwYjw&s=19

The EU going a lot harder than the US on sanctions sounds like the correct way to approach this from an escalation prevention PoV, no? Putin's stance is that NATO (let's be honest, the US) is masterminding the conflict. So having the US tagging along behind Europe at least helps a little in undercutting that narrative.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rouble will be having some crazy time when Russians unblock the stock market.

EUR/RUB

USD/RUB

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Honj Steak posted:

”Brussels“ means the entire EU here, not just Belgium. The European Commission is there.

Remember when the European Commission threatened to kill the Bush presidency over tariffs, getting the States to back off?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1498346782656454656?s=20&t=rF5gInV1KZXmqnEIfC4dDw

:staredog:

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Only one of the turnstiles in this picture accepts card/NFC payments. The ones in the middle are for standard prepaid (often period) tickets.

This picture is just normal rush hour traffic. It frequently is way more busy at the Moscow metro stations that I frequent.

Also, you can't put cash in the turnstiles anyways. If anything not having Apple Pay makes this go faster, since people don't fumble around with failing to use their fingerprints or face ID or whatever.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Aramis posted:

The EU going a lot harder than the US on sanctions sounds like the correct way to approach this from an escalation prevention PoV, no? Putin's stance is that the NATO (let's be honest, the US) is masterminding the conflict. So having the US tagging along behind Europe at least helps a little in undercutting that narrative.

The Europeans are simply more alarmed by the war because of geography, no need to find a more complex explanation.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Oh boy

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Aramis posted:

The EU going a lot harder than the US on sanctions sounds like the correct way to approach this from an escalation prevention PoV, no? Putin's stance is that the NATO (let's be honest, the US) is masterminding the conflict. So having the US tagging along behind Europe at least helps a little in undercutting that narrative.

Exactly. It sells NATO as a mutual alliance by European states against agression and the US just happenes to be a member in solidarity with them. Pay no attention to funding charts or material forces % given.

Honestly Biden is playing this very well. He'll probably get a big popularity bump just from this. Now if he stops blowing off his own toes on domestic issues he might be sitting pretty well.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 28, 2022

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Honj Steak posted:

The Europeans are simply more alarmed by the war because of geography, no need to find a more complex explanation.

100%. If you take Putin's own speech at face value there are a whole lot of EU citizens that are in line to get Russified.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Whelp. If anyone wanted to see what a competent air force would do, you just might see it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

"Denazification" vis a vi bombing a bunch of Jews. Jesus Christ, Putin you loving monster.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Putin getting the ol' Mossad treatment would be quite a twist.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Rouble will be having some crazy time when Russians unblock the stock market.

EUR/RUB

USD/RUB

Apologies for a possibly silly question but I'm not that knowledgeable about markets and the economy. Since Russia is getting slapped with sanctions and what not, what are the implications of them closing the stock market like they did today? Can they just keep it closed since they're being economically isolated right now and keep the exchange rates frozen to make it look like things are "ok" for the domestic audience?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Well that seems like cause for concern.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Whelp. If anyone wanted to see what a competent air force would do, you just might see it.

Gonna guess that the IDAF wont be flying to Ukr.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Ruble?

More like rubble!

I’ll see myself out.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1498350735695790086

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

gently caress. Are these Israeli nationals (studying/working abroad), or Ukrainian Jews evacuating to Israel? I know that Israel has received thousands of right-of-return requests from Ukrainians over the past few days. Either way it's really loving bad and could escalate things quite a bit.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fabulous Knight posted:

The name Volodymyr (which is obviously the same name as Vladimir) Zelensky as well as the Ukrainian ambassador being named Volodymyr reminds me of the times the Kremlin's official English language website published reports of calls between Zelensky and Putin. In these they referred to the former as "Vladimir Zelensky", and one can draw their conclusions as to why.

There's also the question if you say Alexander Lukashenko (Russian) or Alyaksandr Lukashenka (Belarusian). A lot of English media uses the Russian version, while in Finland media mainly uses the Belarusian version. Not saying that either is wrong, but it's interesting.

America's president is of course Dzo Baiden, thankfully there's no ambiguity there.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

They have a history with big bullies.

Also a history of being one themselves in a certain African country but that's a story for another day.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Messaged my Russian friend last night.
I told him I'm sorry for what the sanctions will do to regular people.
And that if he can please tell his friends that Americans don't hate Russians. They're good people.
He replied that everyone is sick of Putin and this war.

We all deserve better.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

quote:

Schools across Russia will host special war-themed social studies classes on March 1, where teachers must retell to schoolchildren in grades 7-11 the arguments from President Vladimir Putin’s speech about the reasons for the “special military operation” against Ukraine and condemn calls for anti-war actions.

https://zona.media/article/2022/02/28/propaganda-lessons

Google translate did a decent job

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Google translate of the attached tweet thread:

quote:

Shooting at an Israeli convoy in Ukraine, apparently a serious incident

Details in review. I will update when there is verified information

The Foreign Ministry said the incident was known, details under investigation

Permitted for publication: Disaster in Ukraine, Israeli Jew shot dead tonight near Kiev during an attempt to leave the city towards the country's borders | This is a 37-year-old Israeli Jew who was shot to death while traveling from Kiev to join the secure bus convoys to leave the borders of Ukraine. Notice was given to his family.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

dominoeffect posted:

Apologies for a possibly silly question but I'm not that knowledgeable about markets and the economy. Since Russia is getting slapped with sanctions and what not, what are the implications of them closing the stock market like they did today? Can they just keep it closed since they're being economically isolated right now and keep the exchange rates frozen to make it look like things are "ok" for the domestic audience?

The domestic audience does have Internet access.

They can push this off for a bit but it is at the expense of what little investor tolerance could possibly remain for their insane level of risk.

And even with sanctions up, businesses exist that need to buy things not denominated in RUB.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Israel does not gently caress around with its citizens lives. The Israeli air force getting involved would definitely change the calculus. Russia can't just nuke Israel without de facto pulling in NATO (no one is going to let nukes start flying), and Israel is unpopular enough in the rest of the world that other countries can plausibly shrug and say, "What can we do?"

Based on what we've seen, they would tear the Russian air force apart.

The attack itself isn't corroborated yet, and of course this is pretty wild speculation (even for me).

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

tracecomplete posted:

The domestic audience does have Internet access.

Yes they do but several sites like twitter or facebook are block or restricted in someway.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The twist of the century would be the Israeli airforce relieving Kyiv

Wasn't Benny and Putin getting along as well? That might have just gone up in total flames

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Turkey is officially closing the Straits. Seems like they're taking a side.

https://twitter.com/b_nishanov/status/1498349254703783942?t=fYkC1mPRZ2Zh5KhL9-qMgg&s=19

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Messaged my Russian friend last night.
I told him I'm sorry for what the sanctions will do to regular people.
And that if he can please tell his friends that Americans don't hate Russians. They're good people.
He replied that everyone is sick of Putin and this war.

We all deserve better.

I'm glad to hear that. FWIW, last time I checked the Levada Center's polls (before the war), a majority of Russians said they had positive impressions of Americans, which was unexpected but nice.

KitConstantine posted:

Turkey is officially closing the Straits. Seems like they're taking a side.

https://twitter.com/b_nishanov/status/1498349254703783942?t=fYkC1mPRZ2Zh5KhL9-qMgg&s=19

Whoa.:stare:

Looks like Russia should've tried harder during the Crimean War. (the 19th century one, not the 21st century one)

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

So Navalny is probably dead at this point right? It's been awfully quiet on that side lately

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Telsa Cola posted:

Yes they do but several sites like twitter or facebook are block or restricted in someway.

Is it a situation like China where everyone young/with it knows how to VPN?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Ynglaur posted:

Israel does not gently caress around with its citizens lives.

Well, I mean. Sometimes it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

selec posted:

Is it a situation like China where everyone young/with it knows how to VPN?

Yes.