Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

gently caress it i'm gonna tweet at sandia and see if she actually spooks me w/ a reply about oobe stuff

not usually a "poop toucher" but like I am in the mood for a bit of a scare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Riot Bimbo posted:

gently caress it i'm gonna tweet at sandia and see if she actually spooks me w/ a reply about oobe stuff

not usually a "poop toucher" but like I am in the mood for a bit of a scare

Su will tweet back at you a picture of Big Foot massaging your shoulders

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You know this is kinda funny because when I meditate (with Monroe tapes especially) I am prone to seeing something similar to this:

which is apparently a common visualization called the kutastha chaitanya often depicted like this:

I don't have much to say about it except that it's consistent, it makes my head hurt somewhat, and it is sometimes joined with a feeling of ecstasy.

the first time I tried mushrooms I had a visual hallucination of a large translucent Aztec calendar slowly rotating in front of me where ever I looked. it was finely detailed and kept its structure the entire time. I always wanted to see that again, and try to sketch it out

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

neutral milf hotel posted:

Su will tweet back at you a picture of Big Foot massaging your shoulders

tbh a decent outcome

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

You know this is kinda funny because when I meditate (with Monroe tapes especially) I am prone to seeing something similar to this:

which is apparently a common visualization called the kutastha chaitanya often depicted like this:

I don't have much to say about it except that it's consistent, it makes my head hurt somewhat, and it is sometimes joined with a feeling of ecstasy.

no ring

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Really enjoying Coulthart's book so far, it's well-researched and cited and has some crazy stories I haven't heard before. My favorite so far is this Blue Book report of flying saucers landing in Afghanistan in 1956, and the Afghan government trying to haul them away?

https://archive.org/details/1956-01-7340421-Afghanistan/mode/2up

raises many question like "why would a saucer land and let monke attempt to haul it away" and "lol wtf why was there no follow up on this." maybe there was and it was instantly classified way away from Blue Book/shunted into the compartmentalized depths so that it'll never see the light :tinfoil:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I've just gotten through the first full CD despite doing it since like December and I see this all the time. Just that same pattern never-ending falling into itself. It's rad.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Yea if I'm in the zone working from somewhere else besides my eyes I definitly am aware of a fleeting shape like the first one

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Azathoth posted:

I've just gotten through the first full CD despite doing it since like December and I see this all the time. Just that same pattern never-ending falling into itself. It's rad.

Oh poo poo! I didn't mention that part but mine, too, has that sort of weird inward pulse

I can't tell if it's blood feeding into the optic nerve or what I have no idea but it's not always there is the thing, it takes a few minutes for it to come into focus and it's not tied to light outside my eyes or anything. I've tried covering them and looking (eyes closed) into the bright sky and it's the same with either of those

I just call it "friend" and try to pulse nice energy colors back to it

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i also see a ring thing when meditating, it's usually the first sign i'm starting to percieve depth in the void and from there poo poo gets weird

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

is this more than just light passing through your eyelid?

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

:yeah:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

I'm sure it is some physiological process generating that, but for me it is definitely not light as I completely black out my eyes with this headband thing that I use to sleep.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

I meditate in darkness or as close to it as i can, its all in my head afaik

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

or the pressure response of lid on eye

I mean I get it too but that's what I've always attributed it to

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Just came across this. A couple science teachers (?) in Michigan saw a black triangle on March 9, 2018, and it made such an impression on them that it inspired them to start a UFO podcast. Here they recount their sighting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP8iHWWLTNw&t=676s

Another textbook sighting. In the great lakes region!

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Rickshaw posted:

Just came across this. A couple science teachers (?) in Michigan saw a black triangle on March 9, 2018, and it made such an impression on them that it inspired them to start a UFO podcast. Here they recount their sighting:

send them your posts and get invited on the podcast, keep riding the wave until youre on a podcast with :tinylue:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Rickshaw posted:

LOL driving in Detroit and seeing the Pnuttys

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sounds like america needs to drain the great lakes and get to the bottom of this

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Sounds like america needs to drain the great lakes and get to the bottom of this

there's a TV documentary called "drain the great lakes" and I have no idea what it's about but I'm going to pretend it's an Ancient Aliens esque show to look for the black triangles

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
they dont need to drain anything, seaquest is in a cornfield

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

there's a TV documentary called "drain the great lakes" and I have no idea what it's about but I'm going to pretend it's an Ancient Aliens esque show to look for the black triangles

i will choose to believe this is a nic cage disaster movie

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

just learned about Philip Klass's "curse." why are all debunkers such assholes. smug anti science weirdos. hope Radar fucks em all up

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

just learned about Philip Klass's "curse." why are all debunkers such assholes. smug anti science weirdos. hope Radar fucks em all up

because dismissing the sheer volume of eyewitness reports from credible observers eventually requires you to take the position that "everyone but me is dumb and doesn't know what the sky looks like" because otherwise its impossible to explain what is happening. like my favorite example is either klass or macdonald saying that Lonnie Zamora, who saw a 12' wide egg shaped craft from 100 feet away, was mistaken and saw a dust devil or a "mirage of canopus". it literally requires you to assume that everyone else is such a dumb poo poo that it's a miracle they can tie their own shoes

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Azathoth posted:

because dismissing the sheer volume of eyewitness reports from credible observers eventually requires you to take the position that "everyone but me is dumb and doesn't know what the sky looks like" because otherwise its impossible to explain what is happening. like my favorite example is either klass or macdonald saying that Lonnie Zamora, who saw a 12' wide egg shaped craft from 100 feet away, was mistaken and saw a dust devil or a "mirage of canopus". it literally requires you to assume that everyone else is such a dumb poo poo that it's a miracle they can tie their own shoes

Honestly, though, people are really good at misinterpreting things. That many people, on the scale reported? That's a harder sell, sure, but look at any review of eyewitness accounts in court cases and you soon find that people are excellent at remembering only what they want to remember, regardless of fact, and human brains are great at filling in details that don't actually exist. I get why people would be skeptical. You can make similar claims about eyewitness accounts for various famous cryptids, like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster.

The difference to me when it comes to UFOs is how many of those witness reports come with corroborating physical evidence, up to and including the released gun cam footage from the Navy (and of course also all of the various video and still photos.) Compare it to the cryptids, where all of the best photos and videos are hoaxes. The other difference, of course, is that when people go looking for UFOs they tend to find them, while when people go looking for Bigfoot they get a history channel docudrama with bonus crossover with the Curse of Oak Island.

edit: On a related note I've been reading In Search of Lake Monsters by Peter Costello lately and it's amazing how many clear, concise, and level headed reports of the Loch Ness monster he can relate and how certain he is that they'll be finding hard proof any day now. The book was written in 1974.

Log082 has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Mar 1, 2022

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Log082 posted:

Honestly, though, people are really good at misinterpreting things. That many people, on the scale reported? That's a harder sell, sure, but look at any review of eyewitness accounts in court cases and you soon find that people are excellent at remembering only what they want to remember, regardless of fact, and human brains are great at filling in details that don't actually exist. I get why people would be skeptical. You can make similar claims about eyewitness accounts for various famous cryptids, like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster.

The difference to me when it comes to UFOs is how many of those witness reports come with corroborating physical evidence, up to and including the released gun cam footage from the Navy (and of course also all of the various video and still photos.) Compare it to the cryptids, where all of the best photos and videos are hoaxes. The other difference, of course, is that when people go looking for UFOs they tend to find them, while when people go looking for Bigfoot they get a history channel docudrama with bonus crossover with the Curse of Oak Island.

Yeah, the point is not that any one witness is accurate, it's the point that when that many disparate people report things that all follow a similar pattern, the usual explanation of "crazy, lying, or honestly mistaken" cannot be applied to every witness. Or, if they are all crazy, lying, or honestly mistaken, then there is some larger underlying unidentified psychological phenomena driving the reports.

Our current understanding of psychology for example does not allow for the concept of mass hallucinations. That is, if I am hallucinating, that is one thing, but my hallucination cannot in any way influence my buddy standing next to me. The discovery of some material phenomenon that allows that to happen would go a long ways towards explaining the UFO phenomenon, as would the discovery of some way for an otherwise mentally sound person to vividly hallucinate UFO encounters while not otherwise experiencing any other signs of mental illness, but both of those are not accounted for in our current framework.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Anything that undermines the current corpus of knowledge gets treated derrisively, truth of it isn't a factor to most people. They learned some poo poo in school for some variable number of years, that understanding of what history, scientific knowledge, etc. is, more or less hardens into place unless they went far enough to be one of the people on the cutting edge of what is known, they have just enough to become conservatives about what the universe can even be.

When something like a UAP witnessed by several people gets talked about, well there's no answer those folks have for that, that isn't a dismissive appeal to natural phenomena, because there's just nothing for them to pull from in their current, more or less locked-in frame of reference. UAP apparent movements imply a violation of known physics. Impossible, our physics can't be that wrong.

It just goes on like that. It has been a thing forever, too.

I think back to like, John Snow and his germ theory work didn't get widespread recognition till years after he was loving dead.

That's just how this goes lol. This poo poo is either something (it's something), and we'll be validated in a few years, or decades, or it isn't, and some of us double down in the same way, or we move on; red faced and chastised.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

seeing UFOs is a sign of mental thrillness

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Log082 posted:

The difference to me when it comes to UFOs is how many of those witness reports come with corroborating physical evidence, up to and including the released gun cam footage from the Navy (and of course also all of the various video and still photos.) Compare it to the cryptids, where all of the best photos and videos are hoaxes.

I would also add that there are big hurdles to be overcome before a cryptid enters the realm of plausibility. When I was a kid, I was way into the loch ness monster until I started reading about the ecological requirements to sustain a breeding population of aquatic megafauna in a landlocked lake. Similarly, what are the odds that there is a large ape of some sort that exists in North America with no identifiable fossil record or impact on the local ecology. We can estimate the brown bear population in the pacific northwest through various measures, but don't have a single body, bone, or anything for bigfoot?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Saucer Hovers posted:

seeing UFOs is a sign of mental thrillness

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
If y'all wanna real spooky story about unknown species on earth, consider this-

Some sciencey types tagged an adult white shark to monitor where it traveled, both gps and depth, as well as local temperature and other such data

This white shark roamed around, generally near or not far from coasts or relatively shallow, sunlit water...

Until one day, while loitering near a deep sea cliff dropoff... It suddenly plunged into the depths, down down down into the black. Thing is, the temperature recorded while traveling down stayed quite warm :cthulhu:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Riot Bimbo posted:

i also see a ring thing when meditating, it's usually the first sign i'm starting to percieve depth in the void and from there poo poo gets weird

The Ra contact said that a useful meditative focus is a white circle (unclear whether full or ring). I changed my focus from breath to that (ring) and it's worked wonderfully. Much easier for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Protagonist posted:

Some sciencey types tagged an adult white shark to monitor where it traveled, both gps and depth, as well as local temperature and other such data

This white shark roamed around, generally near or not far from coasts or relatively shallow, sunlit water...

Until one day, while loitering near a deep sea cliff dropoff... It suddenly plunged into the depths, down down down into the black. Thing is, the temperature recorded while traveling down stayed quite warm :cthulhu:

[citation needed]

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Protagonist posted:

And that sciencey types name? Albert Einstein

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The Ra contact said that a useful meditative focus is a white circle (unclear whether full or ring). I changed my focus from breath to that (ring) and it's worked wonderfully. Much easier for me.

Neat

For my part I kinda just let whatever comes, come.

I don't always see the ring, but mine is usually black with a faint white outline. Once I'm properly meditative and I've shed my concern for my surroundings (maybe the hardest part for my severely anxiety-disordered rear end), There's no real consistency, except that geometric shapes are intense and sharp, and occasionally I see flashes of stuff, like I saw a close up of a person's elbow as the arm moved a couple weeks ago, and then heard a feminine voice trying to speak to me. It was fractions of a second but I had this like certain knowledge that's what was happening so vOv

I dunno what I'm doing beyond the initial stage, doing this as a regular thing was something I did when I was 18/19 because it made mental distress of varied ptsd flavors go away, and recently for same.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Rickshaw posted:

I would also add that there are big hurdles to be overcome before a cryptid enters the realm of plausibility. When I was a kid, I was way into the loch ness monster until I started reading about the ecological requirements to sustain a breeding population of aquatic megafauna in a landlocked lake. Similarly, what are the odds that there is a large ape of some sort that exists in North America with no identifiable fossil record or impact on the local ecology. We can estimate the brown bear population in the pacific northwest through various measures, but don't have a single body, bone, or anything for bigfoot?

Pretty much. I want cryptids to be real but I've never seen an F-18 do a gun run on Mokele-mbembe.

Though if you want an actual plausible cryptid (still nothing more than spooky stories, but at least they're possible spooky stories) I love the Lusca: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lusca

There's a lot of stories of strong swimmers unexpectedly drowning or going missing in "blue holes," vertical sinkholes in the Carribean. These can be in reefs, where that's not really that surprising, or on land, where the sinkhole connects to the sea through underwater caves. As the stories go, something is lurking in those caves and picking off divers and swimmers. What little exploration has been done suggests the caves are far too small and twisty for sharks or other obvious suspects, and nobody has ever caught sight of the supposed maneater. However, a giant octopus could fit through any cave large enough for its beak, the only hard part of its body, and octopi are known for their ability to camouflage themselves against rocks and plants...

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

[citation needed]

probably this? despite the title what actually happened doesnt seem to be clear at all

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

parts of the deep sea are like that scene in episode 1 idgaf what scientists say

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Azathoth posted:

This is really unfair to the skeptical perspective. Human perception is notoriously unreliable and memory, even more so. I don't assume I'm smarter than anyone when I doubt their account of what they saw because they're people with brains that process information pretty much just like mine and they're susceptible to the same cognitive biases and errors of perception that I am.

Without even touching UFOs or the paranormal (there's a cognitive bias right there, making that distinction), there's a personal anecdote that I think illustrates (pun intended, I guess) my point well. I'm a hobbyist photographer and while I did take a few pictures while at a conference, I was there doing tech support. Portrait artist Igor Babailov was giving a lecture about how to express what you see on paper or canvas.

He shared an anecdote about taking a picture of a beautiful landscape scene from a hotel because the lighting, the sky and clouds, and the scenery all came together at that moment. He was extraordinarily disappointed when he looked at the picture because it was nothing like what he saw in front of him, and I was completely dumbfounded, as was the videographer standing next to me, when he told the audience "they say the camera never lies; the camera does nothing but lie."

With all the stories about consciousness, perception, and the like in this thread, you probably realize why I was so incredulous at that statement. A camera is capable of recording what's in front of it l, within the technical capabilities of its components. While our eyes have a lens that focuses light onto a surface, the retina starts to interpret and process what it registers before sending signals to the optic nerve, and there are 7 regions of the visual cortex that process the signal before we consciously see what's in front of us. Even after that, what we remember seems to be altered just a little bit every time we recall it.

Nobody is a dumb poo poo who can't tie their shoes because I question what they saw it remember seeing. They're just human like the rest of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
aw poo poo we back to cryptids? heck yes.

If youre gonna accept the probable existence UAP on the basis on the amount of witness accounts there are, and you wish to stay consistent, then you must consider the north american Sasquatch to be probably real.

There's just a real significant amount of both stories from the past coming from native tribes as well as modern witnesses for it to not be considered plausible, bordering on probable.

It's come up before and I got it from this thread but if you want to dive into the stories and some of the thoerycrafting behind Bigfoot then Bob Gymlan on youtube is a good source.