Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Madurai posted:

Regarding Russian vehicle markings: I saw this explanation offered, and have no idea as to its veracity

Z - east forces
Z in rectangle - Crimea forces
O - units from Belarus direction
V - Russian Marines, but also seen on BMD vehicles
X - Chechens
A - special forces

Imma quote myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Seeing claims that the peace summit at the Belarusian border have ended and both sides are withdrawing to 'consult' with their home governments.

Russia's peace demands are reportedly:

1. The Crimea be officially recognized as part of Russia.

2. Ukraine pledge to not join any any organizations or sign any treaties involving economic or military commitments with Western powers.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Seeing claims that the peace summit at the Belarusian border have ended and both sides are withdrawing to 'consult' with their home governments.

2. Ukraine pledge to not join any any organizations or sign any treaties involving economic or military commitments with Western powers.

Well Ukraine applied to join the EU today soooo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Weren't the skies in the east full of drones after 2014, for both sides even. Why do they seem to be making so little use of them

effective anti drone technology might be part of it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That Works posted:

Talk like that will get him forums banned!

Oh my god I thought the same thing

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So it was about as serious as anyone expected and just another bullshit fig leaf. "We tried for the peace where Ukraine gives up and we get whatever we want but they just want to threaten us with more war, it's all their fault!"

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

grassy gnoll posted:

Even conscripts should know the Buk doesn't stop here.
:dadjoke:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cythereal posted:

After I heard this I think I've figured it out.

Putin has gone full Trump.

"The TV says we're doing fine in Ukraine and now you idiots from the Ministry of Defense come in here and tell me we're not?"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The difference is that Trump never really followed through on anything that didn’t involve speeches and adoration of crowds. It’s probably why prosecutors are having trouble finding any actual crimes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/valerieinsinna/status/1498322565621862400?s=21

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

This far in and they’ve barely got control of any major cities? Even if they win, they couldn’t do it again elsewhere anytime soon.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I mean at this point what kind of idiot would trust russia of anything. They already outright broke the promise of maintaining ukrainian soverignity. In the short while a lot of people are gonna die, however; in the long run as far as I can tell this is the first time in a long while the international community is willing to do more than tut tut russian aggression. I fear a cessation of hostilities would end up with everyone wiping the board clean and russia tries again in a few years except this time with proper planning and a more unwilling to do anything about it international community.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
FIFA has banned Russia from everything.

https://twitter.com/BrigidinBK/status/1498306030903742465

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So this could make things interesting if verified..... taken from the D&D thread.

William Bear posted:

Google translate of the attached tweet thread:

Shooting at an Israeli convoy in Ukraine, apparently a serious incident

Details in review. I will update when there is verified information

The Foreign Ministry said the incident was known, details under investigation

Permitted for publication: Disaster in Ukraine, Israeli Jew shot dead tonight near Kiev during an attempt to leave the city towards the country's borders | This is a 37-year-old Israeli Jew who was shot to death while traveling from Kiev to join the secure bus convoys to leave the borders of Ukraine. Notice was given to his family.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Whoa! So far I was under the impression Israel has been responding similar to China in not condemning the invasion but also not helping Russia. That could change fast if their citizens are being attacked by Russia.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/fpwellman/status/1498356747630780418?s=21

I say this is a joke, but I swear a couple of national guard detachment could gently caress the poo poo out of the Russians now.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/GaryManley19/status/1498133378406641667

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1498358635847639040

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Honestly if they’re using single freqs for hours at a time they’ve already been identified by nerds browsing for web SDRs. If actual intel assets haven’t tagged those already, they need more help than that paper is going to give them.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Without control of the skys/and in the era of drones/ IED's from the hostile populace.
Yet these guys STILL really seem to like to mill around clumped in big groups a lot.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Worrying this wasn't the Russians but Azov - but they probably have better things to do right now, and creating such a narrative would be precisely what Russian saboteurs might have been ordered to do, to galvanize support against the "Nazis". Just stating the obvious, I guess.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Worrying this wasn't the Russians but Azov - but they probably have better things to do right now, and creating such a narrative would be precisely what Russian saboteurs might have been ordered to do, to galvanize support against the "Nazis". Just stating the obvious, I guess.

Previous reporting from her indicated the Russians were responsible, but that has not been substantiated. We're stuck waiting for more info.

I don't think that Ukrainians are setting up false flags. What's more likely is that Russia fired on people trying to flee the city.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

this seems really bad

israel isn't known for allowing things like this to go unpunished, are they?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Icon Of Sin posted:

This far in and they’ve barely got control of any major cities? Even if they win, they couldn’t do it again elsewhere anytime soon.

I wonder if South Ossetia and Chechen nationalists are getting any ideas.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

RFC2324 posted:

this seems really bad

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1498362123692515334

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Especially if a bunch of Chechen loyalists/enforcers got smoked, as reported?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Azov is based in Mariupol in the easr aren't they? Though they might have moved to the west. Even if it wasn't Azov, it's a bit worrying that there is a Russian presence in southwest Ukraine

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Arrath posted:

Especially if a bunch of Chechen loyalists/enforcers got smoked, as reported?
Had this thought this morning. There's a lot of people that hate russia and russia sure does seem pinned down (pinned down may be too strong, but there's at least serious vibes of "lol, no, YOU'RE locked in here with ME") and incompetent. Somebody's gotta have a score to settle.

You know, except for Russia having nukes and all.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quick question to those with military experience: Are there special rules for just putting out indirect fire into an urban area? Say general prohibitions on indiscriminate shelling of a major urban center?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

RFC2324 posted:

this seems really bad

Israel isn't know for letting things like that go unpunished when it's "perpetrated" by Palestinians or Iranians or other ME adversaries. But they're not going to assassinate any Russians in response, at most they will join the sanctions regime. A fairly sizable part of their population has Russian roots, and Israel has historically profited from having better relations with the Soviet Union/Russia than it's status as a close US ally would indicate.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Quick question to those with military experience: Are there special rules for just putting out indirect fire into an urban area? Say general prohibitions on indiscriminate shelling of a major urban center?

Absolutely. We kept a lawyer on hand within our Combat Operations Center to help with snap decisions of whether a strike from artillery or close air support was within the bounds of the Rules of Engagement and the Law of War.

Not to say the US got that poo poo right all the time but the effort was there not to indiscriminately kill non combatants.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Torrannor posted:

Israel isn't know for letting things like that go unpunished when it's "perpetrated" by Palestinians or Iranians or other ME adversaries. But they're not going to assassinate any Russians in response, at most they will join the sanctions regime. A fairly sizable part of their population has Russian roots, and Israel has historically profited from having better relations with the Soviet Union/Russia than it's status as a close US ally would indicate.

Not to speak out of line, but I'm pretty sure we are just the piggy bank to Israel.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

In general, yes.

Will Putin adhere to those norms? Hasn't yet!

Will his indiscriminate shelling of civilians change much? Unfortunately not. We are happy to look the other way for some reason whenever Russia likes to play war crimes.

Everyone is afraid of engaging with the guy who has nukes. People are freaking out just thinking about that possibility. Right now, we are content to continue along the proxy war route it seems. Not gonna lie, it seems rather effective at turning Russian equipment into scrap.

Edit: to support my claims, Geneva Conventions say artillery is OK, but not when it isn't "targeted" and not when used "indiscriminately" . Basically, you need a "military reason" to destroy a city block of apartments. Relevant info/site: https://ihl-databases.icrc.org/customary-ihl/eng/docindex/v2_rul_rule71

ASAPI fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 28, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hekk posted:

Absolutely. We kept a lawyer on hand within our Combat Operations Center to help with snap decisions of whether a strike from artillery or close air support was within the bounds of the Rules of Engagement and the Law of War.

Not to say the US got that poo poo right all the time but the effort was there not to indiscriminately kill non combatants.

That’s actually really good to know and highlights just one of the major differences in forces. I just couldn’t imagine US artillery say just shooting poo poo randomly in the Baghdad with 155mm artillery. Now someone loving up and doing it, yes, but not as a matter of policy by anyone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
This map:

is from here: https://liveuamap.com/

There's fighting along the Moldova/Ukraine border that is confirmed by the Israeli death. He wasn't killed outside of Kyiv. He was killed at the border.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

not combat news but hilarious owning of an idiot who works for RT America

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1498366946852716553

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

That’s actually really good to know and highlights just one of the major differences in forces. I just couldn’t imagine US artillery say just shooting poo poo randomly in the Baghdad with 155mm artillery. Now someone loving up and doing it, yes, but not as a matter of policy by anyone.

But in say Fallujah where the majority of civilians have either evacuated or have picked up arms and are now combatants entire sections of the city were destroyed.

That’s one of the problems with arming your civilians - you’ve made the entire city a “legal” target. Take a pot shot from your apartment? Shot, over.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Most Russian Israelis fled to Israel due to Russian persecution of Jews and hate Russia. Same with Russian Jewish Americans.

There's a common joke that "In Russia, you're Jewish. In America, you're Russian."

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yes, and no.
Treaties and accords make the rules.
It's up to lower level dudes to decide to follow them or not. It also depends on the theater, location, and branch/country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's fighting along the Moldova/Ukraine border that is confirmed by the Israeli death. He wasn't killed outside of Kyiv. He was killed at the border.

Pretty sure that's confusion and border guards being jumpy. The 1000 troops in Transnistria is not going to try to invade Ukraine.