Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't know if the Link's Awakening remake is even any good, I don't want to develop eye cancer from those graphics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
The biggest issue with the uncharted games is that the platforming being designed to feel smooth and expedient in the heat of combat makes it too shallow to carry sections on its own, half the game feels like a placeholder.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 27, 2022

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Blow Up A Fat Guy is the only good video game ever made.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
newgrounds still existing is another weird thing, also lol at its frontpage have edgy topical game "deal with putin."

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
elden ring is the first game to do the "just go and do whatever you want!!" and have it actually work without getting poo poo boring. I keep hearing it compared to breath of the wild and it definitely feels like that concept taken about 100x further and better

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't think Elden Ring is the greatest game of all time or whatever but it blows breath of the wild out of sky

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

True, it is much better than a bad game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

True, it is much better than a bad game

Yeah. Its not strong praise from me.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was thinking about an old favorite Genesis game called General Chaos the other day and realized that it is essentially DOTA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIh4pwAjPYg

It was a proto-RTS pitting two teams of 5 against each other in a small map featuring various terrain. There are five different heroes (Grenadier, Gunner, Rocket Launcher, Flamethrower, and Demolitions) which each had their own attacks. At the beginning of each round, each player chose their team composition.

Then a teamfight took place and you battled to the death. If a unit died it would respawn shortly after and could re-join the fight, and your goal was to down the entire enemy team at once.

It didn't have creeps or leveling up or towers but DOTA is essentially a General Chaos clone with RPG mechanics.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

General Chaos was way more fun than DOTA, and LEAUGES better than league (HAR HAR HAR)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

itry posted:

There isn't really a curve. The difficulty is all over the place. It's only kinda consistent inside the main indoor locations, and even then not really.

Edit: In graph metaphors, the difficulty is a collection of discrete data points.

Kinda sounds like BotW, where there's stuff of various difficulties levels pretty much everywhere you go, and it's a matter of what you feel confident tackling.

galagazombie posted:

BotW is great and people who don’t like it are playing it wrong. It is however, one of those games that is only good for a single playthrough since all it’s design choices are so laser focused around you having never seen a particular thing in the world before.

Unfortunately true, it's like Subnautica in being my definite priority game for if I could erase my memory to experience playing it blind all over again.

Also still kinda funny in that basically the entire game is about making the final boss easier.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dark souls 4 is much better than Zelda 17 but yeah they feel similarly structured

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Elden Ring is quite possibly the greatest game ever made

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I dunno, Cobra Triangle is PRETTAY good!

e: man talk about a game that needs a quality remake

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

I didn't want to say it first but yeah fridge, full agreement

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
IDK a lot about it seems grafted on :v:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Vic posted:

IDK a lot about it seems grafted on :v:

Too many fingers in the pot

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Really digging Elden Ring, though it is a little light on the twinks and the twink creator at the start of the game is kinda janky so my twink has a bit of a Z'dar chin going on.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

fridge corn posted:

It's not even the best game that came out in the month it was released.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Waltzing Along posted:

It's not even the best game that came out in the month it was released.

Monster Hunter Rise came out in January though????

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

QuarkJets posted:

General Chaos was way more fun than DOTA, and LEAUGES better than league (HAR HAR HAR)

The creator just told me he’s secured funding to make another General Chaos game.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Got the hyperkin 20th anniversary original Xbox duke controller, can confirm that the duke still owns

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Got a chance to play Elden Ring this weekend at sunk almost five hours into it, I doubt I will play much more. I really don't know what people see in this game, it looks like poo poo, combat is slow and clunky, the whole vibe is dour and depressing, and it feels totally pointless. Oh, go just wander aimlessly and maybe find a cave with some weirdos in it. Pick up a bunch of random poo poo you may someday have a use for. Take frequent breaks to google stuff the game doesn't explain. Feels very much like a low budget niche game from yesteryear. No thanks.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

QuarkJets posted:

I don't know if the Link's Awakening remake is even any good, I don't want to develop eye cancer from those graphics

Link Between Worlds is good but yeah its graphics suck because it's on 3DS

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

AcidCat posted:

Got a chance to play Elden Ring this weekend at sunk almost five hours into it, I doubt I will play much more. I really don't know what people see in this game, it looks like poo poo, combat is slow and clunky, the whole vibe is dour and depressing, and it feels totally pointless. Oh, go just wander aimlessly and maybe find a cave with some weirdos in it. Pick up a bunch of random poo poo you may someday have a use for. Take frequent breaks to google stuff the game doesn't explain. Feels very much like a low budget niche game from yesteryear. No thanks.

The depressing vibe, slow combat, having players figure stuff out on their own and exploration are things that own actually hth

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Maya Fey posted:

if you disagree with my opinion then you are mad and weird, while i am calm and normal.

i like this post from 5 years ago. good poo poo op

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

witcher 3 has embarrassing character design and is just generally boring bullshit (the red baron ???? story was quite good tho)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

the opening scene of a long haired super serious pretty boy who you are supposed to think of as a badass in the bath really set the whole tone

i mean if you want to have a strum to a game that’s all good, just don’t pretend otherwise

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Archer666 posted:

The depressing vibe, slow combat, having players figure stuff out on their own and exploration are things that own actually hth

It's by design, but it's not objectively good or bad.

I'm glad you like it.

I hope that other guy finds games he likes.

Conan Exiles is the most slept on RPG of the last 30 years get your poo poo together internet it has dick sliders, and you can play Pokemon with crocodiles

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hzd and whatever the new one is is some boring formulaic poo poo and they don’t even get the formula right

it has a great setting and premise and i genuinely like ubisoft collect-em-all games but somehow hzd is solid snooze

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Archer666 posted:

agreed, i’m digging it. thank you fromsoft

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

hzd and whatever the new one is is some boring formulaic poo poo and they don’t even get the formula right

it has a great setting and premise and i genuinely like ubisoft collect-em-all games but somehow hzd is solid snooze

Guh. Sorry to hear that. I recommend Conan Exiles. It's great in all the ways hzd is bad. You can decorate your castle with throw pillows and fill your bedroom with huge dicked strippers flapping they're giant schlongs all over.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dreadful Swamp Simulator 2022 is the best version yet

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

botw is one of the most overrated games of recent times imo. it's boring as gently caress and if it didn't have the zelda name attached it would have come and gone without much fanfare.

actually it is pretty good

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i think zelda games in general are overrated tho. they are good games but chill out, nerds

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Gentle Autist posted:

the opening scene of a long haired super serious pretty boy who you are supposed to think of as a badass

Lmao you haven't played much if you think Geralt is supposed to be a serious badass and not a guy who takes himself way too seriously. Like his friends are constantly mocking him for this and the world doesn't treat him like the badass he thinks he is.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Elden ring is the dark souls of dark souls so if you don’t like dark souls you prob won’t vibe with the dark souls part of the dark souls of darks souls dark souls dark souls dark souls

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I’ve seen people complain about Elden Ring having pointless wandering and being unclear - but right out of the gates it’s like “go to this castle and fight this guy”, and then your map shows a big yellow line between save points and where you’re supposed to.

I wonder how much crossover there is between “this game is pointless wandering!“ and “as soon as an open world game starts and it tells me to go one way, I go the other.”

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Capital Letdown posted:

I’ve seen people complain about Elden Ring having pointless wandering and being unclear - but right out of the gates it’s like “go to this castle and fight this guy”, and then your map shows a big yellow line between save points and where you’re supposed to.

I wonder how much crossover there is between “this game is pointless wandering!“ and “as soon as an open world game starts and it tells me to go one way, I go the other.”

Wanna see these folks try to complete any quest in Morrowind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Elden Ring is the covid of video games. You have a ton of people who decided very early on that covid wasn't a big deal and so spent the next couple years self-owning. With Elden Ring, you have a bunch of people who decided it was great before it even released and can't back down now so are Stockholm Syndroming themselves through a 100 hour, last gen, subpar, open world game.