Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

For some reason the game started crashing a lot more for me lately, think I've had three crashes today alone and maybe 1-2 combined since friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Harrow posted:

Really not a fan of how this area's boss has a 100% required damage type in a game where upgrade materials aren't exactly raining from the sky, with a boss run-back that's just insanely aggravating to do.

I guess I'll come back when I have the mountain of smithing stones required to upgrade a blunt weapon enough for this single a single boss encounter.

Heavy attacks and attacks you make when they are staggered break their armor, it just takes a few hits (5 for the elite curserot versions, 3 for the regulars?)

This probably doesn't help any magic focused characters but you dont need blunt weapons.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Substandard posted:

I'm also curious if the meteorite staff stays great because it doesn't level up at all, but it's pretty amazing out of the box.

It's ok, but I can see the boss-soul-required catalyst overtaking it before or at +10 and shooting past it after. The main problem is by the time you can score the stones for the big boy level ups you've probably already burned through the bulk of the content. There are also two staves that are mechanically identical that have the best multipliers for the cost of more FP used. Given that chugging the blue koolaid is already the big limiter on spells I haven't used those.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Harrow posted:

I honestly found it kind of hilarious until I got to the boss, at which point I learned that a) I will need to upgrade a whole new weapon just for this fight, and b) no, there isn't a closer respawn point and yes, I will have to go through all those sorcerers again whenever I die.

What weapon are you using that’s giving you trouble?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I've done all the crystal bosses with magic damage without much difficulty, you have to whittle down like 20% of their hp but then their carapace breaks and they get rocked. I wouldn't build anything special just for them, just think of it as a really lopsided but otherwise normal healthbar

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

again, there's ways to power through with the weapons you have without switching, but just pull a blunt weapon out of your pocket at +0 and see how it goes before assuming you have to level it all the way up from scratch. they're not requiring blunt weapons which have been upgraded to parity at that point in the game, they're insanely weak to blunt weapons period

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Spoilers from the 3rd main boss

The Radahn fight was extremely hard, holy poo poo. it was also amazing. im using magic, and spent most of the time on my horse, and it took me like 30+ attempts. i do not envy people with melee builds.

Loved how you could summon patches to the fight, and no matter what, he immediately bails and “returns to his world” lmao. fuckin patches

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

fort farto

woops ehhehe. leaving it in.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Can you do more than one summon in a boss fight? I am still quite early on but after fighting Tree Sentinel the option never came back up after the initial summon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Harrow posted:

I honestly found it kind of hilarious until I got to the boss, at which point I learned that a) I will need to upgrade a whole new weapon just for this fight, and b) no, there isn't a closer respawn point and yes, I will have to go through all those sorcerers again whenever I die.

Check out if you have the Skeletal Militiamen ashes. I had clipped the fight because I finished it in style but looking at the replay the skeletons had that poo poo locked by themselves

Lol can you not link an mp4 file without it embedding?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Elden Ring (1999)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally found a staff and some sick gravity magic so starting to build for that. But also I found blood arts and a cool blood dagger, and that needs arcane. I also need 100 FP for this cool summon.

How do I build character when I want to use everything

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Can you do more than one summon in a boss fight? I am still quite early on but after fighting Tree Sentinel the option never came back up after the initial summon.

Yeah you only get one. This is why survivability is the most important factor to look for in a summon IMO

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Check out if you have the Skeletal Militiamen ashes. I had clipped the fight because I finished it in style but looking at the replay the skeletons had that poo poo locked by themselves

Lol can you not link an mp4 file without it embedding?

Yeah I ended up using them there and beat the boss this time. I didn't realize that if I just kept hitting them I'd break their armor. That helped, and the skeletons were pretty necessary meat (or, er, bone) shields.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

From the Farum Greatbridge grace, head south across the bridge then east once you’re off the bridge to find a mage tower (Lenne’s Rise). It’s tricky getting to it since it’s a bit of a drop but you can get there with some effort. Once you have the grace point, you’re set.

Spoiling the actual process / farm to be safe: get on your horse and take the road west that goes under the bridge. Right before you reach the bridge a giant ball will appear behind you and chase you. Simply move to the cliff face on your right when it does, avoid it, and let it fall (keep your camera on the ball as it falls). You get 1900 souls for it. Fast travel back to the grace, repeat. Takes about 10-15 seconds from the grace spot to getting the experience.

If you do it at night there’s a chance the ball itself is a variant that gives you 10k runes instead.

I made a quick clip showing the route for this just now

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

punished milkman posted:

Spoilers from the 3rd main boss

The Radahn fight was extremely hard, holy poo poo. it was also amazing. im using magic, and spent most of the time on my horse, and it took me like 30+ attempts. i do not envy people with melee builds.

Loved how you could summon patches to the fight, and no matter what, he immediately bails and “returns to his world” lmao. fuckin patches

yeah he loving sucks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW has any nerd started figuring out what the soft and hard caps are? I assume someone hasn't slept in days now lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yeah you only get one. This is why survivability is the most important factor to look for in a summon IMO

Someone earlier mentioned that technically you can summon the ash one AND a npc summon if they’re available for the fight but i haven’t tested it myself.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Harrow posted:

Really not a fan of how this area's boss has a 100% required damage type in a game where upgrade materials aren't exactly raining from the sky, with a boss run-back that's just insanely aggravating to do.

I guess I'll come back when I have the mountain of smithing stones required to upgrade a blunt weapon enough for this single a single boss encounter.

whip is great for this, btw

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

This game is so loving good goons

When I'm not playing it I'm thinking about playing it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

whip is great for this, btw

Big Sword Gud

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I legitimately laughed at Tibia Mariner v2. Oh, you see me from your little pond? What, you gonna summon some skeletons and cry ab... oh poo poo.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

RBA Starblade posted:

BTW has any nerd started figuring out what the soft and hard caps are? I assume someone hasn't slept in days now lol

vigor soft cap still 40

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So what are your favourite spirit summons?
I alternate between:
Jellyfish: Ranges poison attack, cute. But kinda fragile.
Skeletons: Don't die when they are killed, last forever. But no damage output.
Warhawk: Very strong, fire attack, and I am happy to see it get beaten up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Someone earlier mentioned that technically you can summon the ash one AND a npc summon if they’re available for the fight but i haven’t tested it myself.

Yup this is how I fought Godrick and he wasn't bad at all.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mailer posted:

It's ok, but I can see the boss-soul-required catalyst overtaking it before or at +10 and shooting past it after. The main problem is by the time you can score the stones for the big boy level ups you've probably already burned through the bulk of the content. There are also two staves that are mechanically identical that have the best multipliers for the cost of more FP used. Given that chugging the blue koolaid is already the big limiter on spells I haven't used those.

It probably does make mathematical sense to switch off at some point (especially if you're not committed to rock spam, there probably is some other better spell for efficient dps but I haven't found it) but I'm not crazy about committing a bunch of upgrade materials blind, I'll wait for the math nerds. There is eventually a staff with int and faith scaling that is probably the best of all if you're looking at going to level 200 or whatever

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Boat man is such a bitch. I let my summons handle the little skeletons while I wail on him and smash him up.

Thanks for the death!

Roundtable spoilers:
Couldn't trigger D yet but I came back after beating some more dungeons and boss by a poison area... it was all dark and I got invaded! What the hell? Killed em, got a skeleton fist weapon that needs 16 arcane? lol Sounds amazing! Also the guy outside the book dudes office is gone and his armor is there. Every piece has HP regen but it's HEAVY. This game is just non-stop surprises.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

VictualSquid posted:

I alternate between:

ive stuck with the wolves but ideally it would be whatever allows me to land as many attacks as possible while the boss is distracted.

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

whenever I'm in the open world I'm wishing I was playing a dark souls game instead

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

I strongly recommend hoarfrost stomp if you're having trouble with the big sweeping enemies or mobs. You can find it up near Caria Mansion, to the east. It's one of those footstep things you need to hit, and you get the weapon ash with contains it.

I have been spamming this thing to the point where a lot of the lesser enemies and even some of the bosses are trivialised.

It's even more useful than Bloody Slash because it hits a 90 degree arc in front of you, twice, and inflicts frostbite almost everytime so the damage can be immense.

The only thing it isn't the best for are fast single target types with strong combos because you'll probably get hit a lot. It still destroys them, but bloody slash is probably better in those cases.

I think it will probably be nerfed at some point so enjoy it while it lasts!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Non-spoilery Things I wish I'd known before I started: go

- Someone already posted about the glowing skulls a little ways back, I did find out those pretty quickly though (easiest to trample with Torrent)
- Rune items sell for their value, no need to waste time in menu consuming them (cant believe this is still as obtuse as it is)
- Map fragment locations indicated by small obelisks on the map

Dont believe it was answered if the trapped guy in Morne can be released. Can he?

Also, gently caress the shrimp

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

VictualSquid posted:

I alternate between:

Rotting dog just wrecks bosses if it can get his bites in - that scarlet fever is amazing! I've killed 2 trees now with it and just laugh.

codo27 posted:

Non-spoilery Things I wish I'd known before I started: go

- Someone already posted about the glowing skulls a little ways back, I did find out those pretty quickly though (easiest to trample with Torrent)
- Rune items sell for their value, no need to waste time in menu consuming them (cant believe this is still as obtuse as it is)
- Map fragment locations indicated by small obelisks on the map

Dont believe it was answered if the trapped guy in Morne can be released. Can he?

Also, gently caress the shrimp

For runes you can just pick use selected and eat the entire stack.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

Uh um a new door opened up in the roundtable and now there is a new all red npc who looks like death and smells bad and he's surrounded by dead rotting bodies and he posts on reddit about age of consent laws

I got the strong impression if I keep talking to him he's gonna attack me, but I've played other souls games... what are my options fellow tarnished. I got the impression from another npc he'll go hostile
if I handle this poorly.

Even our girl Roderika doesn't like his stench I think

I didn't get any help with this yesterday if someone can assist ty

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Rotting dog just wrecks bosses if it can get his bites in - that scarlet fever is amazing! I've killed 2 trees now with it and just laugh.

For runes you can just pick use selected and eat the entire stack.

Thats fine and dandy, but I almost always have 3 or 4 different kinds.

Also I really like the Tree Sentinel's halberd. Its much more maneuverable than the zwei. And he is an easy kill, you just have to fight him horse to horse (which really does trivialize a lot of fights)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

supabump posted:

whenever I'm in the open world I'm wishing I was playing a dark souls game instead

I felt like this for most of Limgrave. I don't think this game has the strongest opening, really - it does get better once you have found a bunch of major locations and can alternate between exploring those and setting course for parts unknown. At the beginning though, I felt this sinking feeling of open world tedium which thankfully has receded as the game has gone on.

When I'm in explore mode, I just run past everything to a specific target I've decided on. Most of the time, those locations are worth seeking out and might end up being major locations. Wandering around places that look like they're empty on the map usually means they actually are empty and is basically a waste of time unless you are just looking to relax.

beep by grandpa posted:

Just met this guy, too.

He asks if you are familiar with the rot curse when you meet him, then after that he tells you to leave him alone. That seemed like an indication for me to come back once I knew more abou what he is talking about, or when I'm afflicted by some kind of curse. He'll probably be more amenable then. I doubt he'll turn hostile in that spot because that's within the no-combat zone. If he does turn hostile, he'll probably show up somewhere else

roomtone fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 28, 2022

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Madness or whatever it’s called is a hilarious status effect and I can’t wait to make a build with it. The spear guy that uses a lot of the spells is absolutely kicking my poo poo in but he’s cool and I want his stuff.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

You'll find an item related to him later and if you bring it to him he'll give you a key.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are some occasional surprises in the blank spaces, usually an ash of war or a guy who drops armor piece(s) but yeah going off of the map and/or going to interesting looking landmarks is generally reliable. You'll miss out on catacombs and stuff I guess but that content is mostly pretty ehhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Thumbtacks posted:

Madness or whatever it’s called is a hilarious status effect and I can’t wait to make a build with it. The spear guy that uses a lot of the spells is absolutely kicking my poo poo in but he’s cool and I want his stuff.

There's an eye of sauron tower that does this to you and I hadn't looked up so I thought it was the nearby rats with glowing eyes and kept breaking line of sight with them but the meter kept filling and I looked up and went ohhhh.