Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah I'm thankful to chariot makers too

I do agree with you that bicycles shouldn't have to go on any roads, they should have a robust network of bicycle paths that make it easier and faster to get around by bike than in a car. Because cars should be banned from city centers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If god wanted us to move faster than a brisk jog he would have given us wheels instead of feet.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Lmao, this goon doesn’t have biowheels.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

If god wanted us to move faster than a brisk jog he would have given us wheels instead of feet.

God did give us the sharper image catalogue though and that's just as good: https://www.sharperimage.com/view/product/Boardless+Skateboard/204086

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Russian Bear posted:

God did give us the sharper image catalogue though and that's just as good: https://www.sharperimage.com/view/product/Boardless+Skateboard/204086

That's a fancy way of saying Heelys.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
What on earth are you all going on about now....?

Derail's over, back to EV's please.

e-Bikes is totally fine. I'll test the 0-30kph of the e-MTB I'm on tomorrow but I do know it gets 82kms on trails per charge in the snow, weighs 28kgs and utterly refuses to go over 32kph even bombing downhill. That I'm still trying to work out why because that makes no sense.

Also a Mach-E is ..... kinda nice to ride in? Dont look too bad in the flesh either.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 28, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you guys are being serious, there is an ebike thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933074

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Holy shitballs, thats uh, un-lightweight?

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
I'm currently being bombarded with adverts for the local low emission zones that are coming in this year and a couple of them are going to make my life very difficult, not very often, but enough that I probably need to replace my Saab sooner rather than later. I can probably afford a second hand Passat GTE but I'm finding it hard to get any decent information on how much cargo is lost to battery in various models. It was a lot at launch, and apparently none at all in the 2020 model. I know VW also increased the range at some point but again I can't find out when.

It's a second car mostly for local driving but occasional 300 mile road trips, so 2000 miles a year with most journeys under 10 miles which is the perfect job for a PHEV but it does have to be an estate. The Volvo V60 is too small, the V90 is too expensive, the Superb is too new for anything second hand and the battery in an E class is in a really dumb place (I think that's all my options covered unless there's a BMW PHEV I'm missing).

There's also a 3.6L V6 Superb for sale locally for about the same price and it's really really tempting to ditch the environmentalism for a 2 ton family car that does 0-60 in 6 seconds.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Got this Wind AWD on Saturday

First impressions: good enough acceleration, not going to beat a Y but plenty fast. Interior is fantastic, very open and tons of legroom. Kia app needs some work, and the biggest gripe I have is there's no easy way to switch drivers without going into menus, which is a pain since my wife and I share it as our only car.

Verdict: love it, great value.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Marvin K. Mooney posted:

First impressions: good enough acceleration, not going to beat a Y but plenty fast. Interior is fantastic, very open and tons of legroom. Kia app needs some work, and the biggest gripe I have is there's no easy way to switch drivers without going into menus, which is a pain since my wife and I share it as our only car.

Congrats! It looks great! I really like that black line that swoops off the wheel arches into the grill. The contour lines on the hood are also sharp. The white and black make for a nice contrast.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Charles posted:

If you guys are being serious, there is an ebike thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933074

:getin:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also a Mach-E is ..... kinda nice to ride in? Dont look too bad in the flesh either.

I am coming up on one year and 6000 miles in my Mach-E and I still enjoy the hell out of it. The only time I miss the power of my Scat Pack Charger is when I am at stupid speeds on the tollway, and it’s probably for the best that I don’t have any more power or speed to do dumb things for passing. My kids still comment on how quiet it is.

I do need winter to be over so I can give the vehicle a bath. It’s pretty crusty with salt right now.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Weak, I put 8,000 miles on my Mach-E since August or whenever the GT came out.

It's a great car in a lot of ways its problem is that it's mediocre in what is basically the most important way (to me), and a pretty goddamn important way for any Mustang GT.

There's a lot of little poo poo that adds up also. I can't get in the thing without scraping the cap off my head on the door jam most of the time. I think they're still yet to do a meaningful OTA update because they're pussies. No rear heated seats. No vented seats. Materials are better than a tesla but some are still pretty lovely for a 70k dollar car, even accounting for the EV premium. Controls and "gauges" are pretty terrible and very obviously designed for an electric Ford Escape, not an electric Mustang.

If I paid ~50k for a non performance variant I'd probably overall be pretty satisfied with it though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

At any speed higher than 50 mph you floor it in a Mach-E GT and you either get:

1. A wet fart.
2. A powerful burst of acceleration that lasts ~1.5 seconds (50-70) and then turns into a wet fart.

The powerful burst makes the wet fart worse. It's like it's taunting you. See what I could do if they took the governors off? Well, too bad, enjoy your 20 second trip from 70-95. Faaaaaart.

The two motors in the GT make 281 hp each. You know what kinda press Ford would have gotten if they let it use all 562 hp for the entire length of a 1/4 and it ran a fuckin mid 11? People would have lost their minds.

Instead they basically withheld the thing from reviewers out of embarrassment and then when they finally started getting ahold of them to test the primary response from the press was "lol wtf is this thing broken?"

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 28, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What on earth are you all going on about now....?

Derail's over, back to EV's please.

e-Bikes is totally fine. I'll test the 0-30kph of the e-MTB I'm on tomorrow but I do know it gets 82kms on trails per charge in the snow, weighs 28kgs and utterly refuses to go over 32kph even bombing downhill. That I'm still trying to work out why because that makes no sense.

I'm going to bet the answer is ebike laws. It's weird though because I don't think I've heard of one having limits when you aren't using the motor.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
32kph is the limit of class 2 bikes in the U.S. (20mph). That thread I linked earlier says Australia's limit is 25kph so I dunno.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Holy shitballs, thats uh, un-lightweight?

Norco Fluid VLT A1. Mostly an okay bit of transport but hauling it up stairs to an apartment I'm at ATM is awwwwwwkward

Charles posted:

32kph is the limit of class 2 bikes in the U.S. (20mph). That thread I linked earlier says Australia's limit is 25kph so I dunno.

The issue is the bike in general tries to slow down at 32kph downhill which is unexpected. It's also got a lot of resistance to pedalling when the motor is off. In general I like the concept and if I want to cruise at 28kph that seems to be a sweet spot to ride but there's issues in the execution of this bike. I'm told that other e-MTB's dont have these flaws.

Orvin posted:

I am coming up on one year and 6000 miles in my Mach-E and I still enjoy the hell out of it. The only time I miss the power of my Scat Pack Charger is when I am at stupid speeds on the tollway, and it’s probably for the best that I don’t have any more power or speed to do dumb things for passing. My kids still comment on how quiet it is.

I do need winter to be over so I can give the vehicle a bath. It’s pretty crusty with salt right now.

Half an hour ride and chat with the owner isnt enough to form a defining opinion but ignoring the GT's issues the base model seems like a solid car with from the owner's POV very few issues. They have a charger set up at home and they use it basically only on Vancouver Island so no range issues as such.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Weak, I put 8,000 miles on my Mach-E since August or whenever the GT came out.

It's a great car in a lot of ways its problem is that it's mediocre in what is basically the most important way (to me), and a pretty goddamn important way for any Mustang GT.

There's a lot of little poo poo that adds up also. I can't get in the thing without scraping the cap off my head on the door jam most of the time. I think they're still yet to do a meaningful OTA update because they're pussies. No rear heated seats. No vented seats. Materials are better than a tesla but some are still pretty lovely for a 70k dollar car, even accounting for the EV premium. Controls and "gauges" are pretty terrible and very obviously designed for an electric Ford Escape, not an electric Mustang.

If I paid ~50k for a non performance variant I'd probably overall be pretty satisfied with it though.

This is exactly where I am. I will admit I was pretty tempted to try and find a way to get on a list for when the GTs came out. But after thinking about it for a bit, I realized that if I really wanted a performance vehicle still, I should just hold on to my Charger and turn whatever my car payment would be into the Mopar Repair fund.

No heated rear seats will one day be a thing when my kids are out of car/booster seats, but that is still a few years out. I would occasionally use the vented seats in my Charger, but I haven’t missed them much in the Mach-E. The cat gets pretty cold pretty quick, and I am much better about pre-conditioning the car. I can see someone who routinely uses ventilation missing that feature.

My regular commute is 10 miles to work, so I don’t put a large amount of miles on it daily. I have just recently taken it on some longer trips for some interviews. It performed reasonably well in the winter, but I was super bundled up with the heater off to make sure I had a huge margin of range. The heated seats and steering wheel were enough for me on a single digit day. I got like 2.8 miles/kW at 40mph and 2.3 miles/kW at 75-80mph. It was a bit of a drive to the highway at lower speeds.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Friend of mine in the US is looking for a small EV. I know the selection isn't as great as in europe but what where the thread favourites? Chevy Bolt? Hyundai Kona?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Define small

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Norco Fluid VLT A1. Mostly an okay bit of transport but hauling it up stairs to an apartment I'm at ATM is awwwwwwkward

The issue is the bike in general tries to slow down at 32kph downhill which is unexpected. It's also got a lot of resistance to pedalling when the motor is off. In general I like the concept and if I want to cruise at 28kph that seems to be a sweet spot to ride but there's issues in the execution of this bike. I'm told that other e-MTB's dont have these flaws.

Half an hour ride and chat with the owner isnt enough to form a defining opinion but ignoring the GT's issues the base model seems like a solid car with from the owner's POV very few issues. They have a charger set up at home and they use it basically only on Vancouver Island so no range issues as such.

Oh you're in Canada now, it must be limiting itself to "class 2", but I just thought it would turn off assist at that point, so yeah but better to ask the ebike thread.

edit: "Canada: Capped at 500w, top speed of 32km/h, yes throttle"

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Like a compact car.
Like a Chevy Bolt. But those had the explody batteries right?

I'm just wondering if I'm forgetting any good options cause the US market is a bit different than the European one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Shai-Hulud posted:

Like a compact car.
Like a Chevy Bolt. But those had the explody batteries right?

I'm just wondering if I'm forgetting any good options cause the US market is a bit different than the European one.

Not a lot of choices for the small cars in the U.S. I'm afraid. Bolt post-recall should be good, people like the Kona, etc. I don't think either are super fast DC chargers (Bolt 55kw, not sure on Kona, 70s or 80s?). For some reason US spec Konas don't have a heat pump I think, so might amplify the winter range loss?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The Chevy Bolt is still a solid buy. I just bought one, with explodey battery still in it. They have a firmware kludge you get for free that lets you treat it like a non-explosive car with lower range, without worrying it's going to explode. You can use that while you wait for a brand new no-cost battery swap that will extend your range and comes with a brand new 8-year warranty.

But yeah it's slow on road trips because it only charges at 50kW max. I haven't gotten mine to go over 25kW yet. But if I'm taking a road trip, I take the Model 3.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Marvin K. Mooney posted:

Agreed, the Kia app is kind of crummy sometimes, but boy howdy is it better than Nissan’s.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Shai-Hulud posted:

Friend of mine in the US is looking for a small EV. I know the selection isn't as great as in europe but what where the thread favourites? Chevy Bolt? Hyundai Kona?

There's also the Mini EV, which only has ~100 miles of range, but the guys over at TFL seemed to have a positive view of. Super-limited range, but it's small and one of the lowest-priced EV in the US market.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Yeep posted:

I'm currently being bombarded with adverts for the local low emission zones that are coming in this year and a couple of them are going to make my life very difficult, not very often, but enough that I probably need to replace my Saab sooner rather than later. I can probably afford a second hand Passat GTE but I'm finding it hard to get any decent information on how much cargo is lost to battery in various models. It was a lot at launch, and apparently none at all in the 2020 model. I know VW also increased the range at some point but again I can't find out when.

It's a second car mostly for local driving but occasional 300 mile road trips, so 2000 miles a year with most journeys under 10 miles which is the perfect job for a PHEV but it does have to be an estate. The Volvo V60 is too small, the V90 is too expensive, the Superb is too new for anything second hand and the battery in an E class is in a really dumb place (I think that's all my options covered unless there's a BMW PHEV I'm missing).

There's also a 3.6L V6 Superb for sale locally for about the same price and it's really really tempting to ditch the environmentalism for a 2 ton family car that does 0-60 in 6 seconds.

I looked at 2016 Passat PHEV alongside the normal petrol one and it didn't look like it'd lost any space. The petrol one was an AWD though, don't know if that makes a difference.

I didn't like how it drove so wrote it off the list anyway (that transmission is always crap IMO)

Re BMW I think their PHEVs are all/almost all sedans for some reason.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Marvin K. Mooney posted:

...the biggest gripe I have is there's no easy way to switch drivers without going into menus, which is a pain since my wife and I share it as our only car.

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding what you're expressing, but you can just click on the profile icon in the upper left of the display to select a different profile, instead of going into the settings menu to get there.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

There's also the Mini EV, which only has ~100 miles of range, but the guys over at TFL seemed to have a positive view of. Super-limited range, but it's small and one of the lowest-priced EV in the US market.

This is a cool little car. Too bad getting active cruise control requires a $7000 model upgrade, because otherwise the MiniEV seems to fit 99% of my mission cheaply and would provide an excellent excuse for refusing to drive hundreds of miles, a thing I hate.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I still think the second gen Leaf is a great budget buy if you aren’t doing long road trips with the car. I would personally get it over the Bolt.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I’ll also plug the Volt if you are looking at phev, most every other phev outside the rav4 is kinda a joke IMO, and the rav4 will cost you bigly.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I use a bolt for work sometimes and I think it’s a nice little car. Not fancy but decent. I’d consider one if the prices go back down to pre supply chain issues.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Tom Guycot posted:

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding what you're expressing, but you can just click on the profile icon in the upper left of the display to select a different profile, instead of going into the settings menu to get there.

Yeah I just don't want to do that. Would rather associate each key with a profile, or assign the star button to profile switch, or use the seat memory buttons on the door. Literally anything other than touching the screen.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Loucks posted:

This is a cool little car. Too bad getting active cruise control requires a $7000 model upgrade, because otherwise the MiniEV seems to fit 99% of my mission cheaply and would provide an excellent excuse for refusing to drive hundreds of miles, a thing I hate.

If 100 mile range is not an issue check out a used i3 with the tech package.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

McPhearson posted:

If 100 mile range is not an issue check out a used i3 with the tech package.
There's a Kia Soul EV with about 100 mile range and it's compact enough. I'm talking US market, rest of world has the 240 mile range Soul available.

Actual suggestion is Chevy Spark EV in bright green if you can find one.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Jimong5 posted:

I’ll also plug the Volt if you are looking at phev, most every other phev outside the rav4 is kinda a joke IMO, and the rav4 will cost you bigly.

Volt is a loving fantastic PHEV, I’ll second the plug. Absolutely loved mine, only thing I hated was the ICE part, and that was solely on principle, it worked great.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Finger's crossed, there is a rumor that existing orders that don't have production dates are being pushed back late 2022, which I fully expected, delivered as 2023 models, which makes sense.

Still terrified, I feel like my dealership has dicked around with getting me a signed sales price agreement that is actually signed by the manager where it says this agreement is only accepted when signed by the sales manager, but we have an email chain from the manager saying this is my signed sales agreement, so I think it is close enough that intent is clear if they try and screw me.

The most disappointing thing in all of this is Ford charged my credit card and was just like, sorry, not sorry, everything is between you and your Independently Owned and Operated Ford Dealership. Really impressive how Tesla managed to make eliminating the dealership worse for consumers somehow.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

There's a Kia Soul EV with about 100 mile range and it's compact enough. I'm talking US market, rest of world has the 240 mile range Soul available.

Actual suggestion is Chevy Spark EV in bright green if you can find one.

Did Mercedes ever sell the B Class Electric in the US? No fast charge but 145 miles range, Tesla developed drivetrain and apparently pretty decent handling.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/forgotten-electric-cars-mercedes-b-class-electric-drive?amp=1

Yeep fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeep posted:

Did Mercedes ever sell the B Class Electric in the US? No fast charge but 145 miles range, Tesla developed drivetrain and apparently pretty decent handling.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/forgotten-electric-cars-mercedes-b-class-electric-drive?amp=1

don't think the U.S. ever got the B-class petrol/diesel, never mind the electric.