Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Popular thing is good actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
So far in ED on PC I've been scouting the tutorial map, picking off enemies when I can, picking up anything that isn't nailed down, getting a few level ups, getting owned when facing things that are too big for me and not getting much done and it owns. Great game and greatest horse.

Love how seamless it is, almost no loading times at all and I'm not getting any stutter at 1080p.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Elden ring and Sifu are two of the best games I've ever played and they released within weeks of each other

You love to see it

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

abigserve posted:

Elden ring and Sifu are two of the best games I've ever played and they released within weeks of each other

You love to see it

I checked Steam and Sifu isn't on it so this is an obvious lie.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

Popular thing is good actually

That's literally against the spirit of this thread. It's for us one out of ten dentists that don't recommend Colgate.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This is the GBS Video Game Chat Thread. The title is vestigial but does make for a good prompt.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Capital Letdown posted:

I’ve seen people complain about Elden Ring having pointless wandering and being unclear - but right out of the gates it’s like “go to this castle and fight this guy”, and then your map shows a big yellow line between save points and where you’re supposed to.

I wonder how much crossover there is between “this game is pointless wandering!“ and “as soon as an open world game starts and it tells me to go one way, I go the other.”

yeah and then you go attempt to fight that guy and you get your dick smashed. it's a nonlinear game, you're supposed to find some way to get stronger (which could be as simple as "grind the fight for hours on end until you manage to land 1000 wet noodle hits before exhausting your very shallow sippy cup") and then come back and try again. which i'm not really super on board with but whatever, i guess more wandering around might uncover something.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

AcidCat posted:

Got a chance to play Elden Ring this weekend at sunk almost five hours into it, I doubt I will play much more. I really don't know what people see in this game, it looks like poo poo, combat is slow and clunky, the whole vibe is dour and depressing, and it feels totally pointless. Oh, go just wander aimlessly and maybe find a cave with some weirdos in it. Pick up a bunch of random poo poo you may someday have a use for. Take frequent breaks to google stuff the game doesn't explain. Feels very much like a low budget niche game from yesteryear. No thanks.

Yeah I watched a friend stream and just mailed my copy back unopened. Maybe I'll try it again for $20 or on Gamepass or something.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah and then you go attempt to fight that guy and you get your dick smashed. it's a nonlinear game, you're supposed to find some way to get stronger .

Yeah I followed where the game points you and very soon came to a point I clearly wasn't ready for. Cue a couple hours wandering around, farming trash mobs to level up, getting killed by random high powered enemies. Compelling stuff.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Craven nerds self owning trying to poo poo on one of the best games ever made is the best part of souls games.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vic posted:

Craven nerds self owning trying to poo poo on one of the best games ever made is the best part of souls games.

I haven’t played elden ring

Let me be clear, I played dark souls so I played elden ring but I haven’t played elden ring

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Waltzing Along posted:

Elden Ring is the covid of video games. You have a ton of people who decided very early on that covid wasn't a big deal and so spent the next couple years self-owning. With Elden Ring, you have a bunch of people who decided it was great before it even released and can't back down now so are Stockholm Syndroming themselves through a 100 hour, last gen, subpar, open world game.

I rather enjoyed the last generation of games so I don't see how 'last gen' is supposed to be some kind of an insult. :v:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

tripwood posted:

So far in ED on PC I've been scouting the tutorial map, picking off enemies when I can, picking up anything that isn't nailed down, getting a few level ups, getting owned when facing things that are too big for me and not getting much done and it owns. Great game and greatest horse.

Love how seamless it is, almost no loading times at all and I'm not getting any stutter at 1080p.

Lucky. Wish it performed that well on my PC, which can run a game like Metro Exodus with everything maxed at high framerates but Elden Ring is a frustrating stuttering mess for me. No joke it's borderline unplayable. Too many times have I tried to dodge an attack only for the game to poo poo itself and stutter heavily for a few seconds, only to see the "You Died" screen before I can even parse what the gently caress just happened. Getting fairly regular crashes too.

The game itself seems fun if somewhat bland and uninspired but I'm on the verge of just shelving the game until From Soft fix it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

Lmao you haven't played much if you think Geralt is supposed to be a serious badass and not a guy who takes himself way too seriously. Like his friends are constantly mocking him for this and the world doesn't treat him like the badass he thinks he is.

No they're correct, the main character is basically a male power fantasy given pixel flesh. Geralt's backstory is even "Witchers are badass, and Geralt is the witcherest witcher who ever witchered."

The occasional NPC saying a bigoted comment and Geralt's friends ribbing him sometimes do not change the fact that you are playing a veiny monster-killing badass who spends a quarter of his time slamming rear end across Not Poland

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's a whiny man child who got killed by a rando with a pitchfork.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

QuarkJets posted:

No they're correct, the main character is basically a male power fantasy given pixel flesh. Geralt's backstory is even "Witchers are badass, and Geralt is the witcherest witcher who ever witchered."

The occasional NPC saying a bigoted comment and Geralt's friends ribbing him sometimes do not change the fact that you are playing a veiny monster-killing badass who spends a quarter of his time slamming rear end across Not Poland

his conversations with Dandelion cleverly deconstruct this. Maybe Dandelion is actually the real hero.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

the opening scene of a long haired super serious pretty boy who you are supposed to think of as a badass in the bath really set the whole tone

i mean if you want to have a strum to a game that’s all good, just don’t pretend otherwise

nobody is pretending otherwise

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

roomtone posted:

nobody is pretending otherwise

nice

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

the witches or whatever all have their tits hanging out all over the place too

i liked that younger witcher trainee or whatever, she seemed like a legit character, but because i am a miserable poo poo her face makeup - ie, perfect model level makeup all the time - annoyed me

it’s almost like this fantasy game made purely for entertainment is unrealistic

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

tripwood posted:

So far in ED on PC

Elden Dong

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Are there NPCs I can harass in Dark Souls 4? The world does look cool but Dark Souls 1 got mad at me for hitting some shiny knight guy that was just sitting there and he always remembered I hit him and ruined the game. Compare this to RDR 2 where I can shoot a shop keeper so much that his head explodes off and he's back to work the next day with some bandages and surly but ready to sell me candy and cigars.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The Witcher series is unabashedly male fantasy for all of its incarnations, with the one detail that the protag has an actual personality instead of just being a Mary Sue. I don't think anyone has ever argued otherwise, and besides it actually has a female following so there must be something in there beyond male chauvinism.

Let people enjoy the Witcher, if anything go chase after ARPGs, MOBAs, and the entire Mobile Games market.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Geralt isn't a male chauvinist per se, he's a power fantasy for sure but is basically just serious about killing monsters and being a good dad

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Whats wrong with a little male fantasy, it IS a fantasy game after all

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't think anyone is saying that it's a bad thing :shrug:

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The game itself seems fun if somewhat bland and uninspired but I'm on the verge of just shelving the game until From Soft fix it.

You should. And then pick up Conan Exiles. It's got all your open world stamina action, except it's fun and you can worship a giant snake.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Trollologist posted:

You should. And then pick up Conan Exiles. It's got all your open world stamina action, except it's fun and you can worship a giant snake.

Praise snake.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vandar posted:

I rather enjoyed the last generation of games so I don't see how 'last gen' is supposed to be some kind of an insult. :v:

I also fail to see a single thing that the "next gen" is doing that's different from the last gen. Or the gen before that, for that matter.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Series X let’s me suspend like 5 games at once and that owns when you’re drunk

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beastie posted:

Series X let’s me suspend like 5 games at once and that owns when you’re drunk

Yeah, this is the future of gaming, consoles that cater to my pathetic attention span and impatience to wait through load screens

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Yeah, this is the future of gaming, consoles that cater to my pathetic attention span and impatience to wait through load screens

Alt + Tab has entered the chat.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
alt + tab to Conan: Exiles

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is that game actually good? I love Conan but game looks like some ark bullshit

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

It is basically ark with a little better dungeons.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

It's all this open world nonsense but brutal and unforgiving.

Then you spend 5 hours trying to figure out color swatches on your armor and placing decorative ferns in your barbarian castle.

There is a survival aspect, but the combat is solid and exploring the world pays off. Along with a slow drip narrative and world building.

Conceptually, it's like Ark. Except it's actually fun to play and fight and explore.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Well the combat is solid for a sandbox game. It's Skyrim level whack-a-thon. You'll need to do a ton of mining, hauling and crafting and the world is huge and samey. You need to keep tabs on eating and drinking gauge. The UI is ARK level jank, and the devs are already working on a different game so it'll never get fixed. The only new content is new building blocks/skins.

You can edit out most of the grind from the game though via options.

I have 435 hours in it because I played it with a group of friends with tons of building mods on our private server.

Vic fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 1, 2022

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Vic posted:

Well the combat is solid for a sandbox game. It's Skyrim level whack-a-thon.

Every weapon has unique motions, combos and features. There are multiple options for equipment including melee and ranged and dual wielding.

You also have that oh so hot dark souls stamina combat everyone loves so much.

And friendly fire is on so you can kill your companions on accident, watch out for that.

Oh also your companions level up and get unique skills and abilities based on how you treat them.

But sure, you could call it a Whack-a-thon.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Elefunk

Boy howdy is PSNow chock full of crappier versions of mediocre mobile games. This is a terrible bridge building game with elephants instead of cars that was slapped together in an afternoon. It starts with several unskippable warning screens about seizures and not throwing your controller at peoples heads and not turning it off while saving, and they just linger, so you have plenty of time to read each warning about 10 times over. UNSKIPPABLE.
Then you go into the first level and it explains all the basic controls and functions and then it just tell you to build a bridge, so i did, i never played one of these type of things before so i have no idea what im doing, and it fails me, just says i did it wrong, do it again, ok theres only like a few pieces i can choose from so i rearrange them into something that looks right, boom, it fails me again.
YOU NOT ONCE EVER EXPLAINED ONE NOTION OF HOW BUILDING THIS STUPID THING IS SUPPOSED TO WORK
a tutorial is supposed to teach you how to play the game, not just say WRONG with no indication of how or why. It doesn't tell you what any of the blocks do, any basics of bridge building, nothing, and its ugly, slow, sounds terrible, physics are crap, it gave my sister the clap, rot in Hellefunk, Elefunk.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Would you say elefunk is the dark souls of bridge building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
elden funk