Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

Are y'all legit opening up every single switch, dealing out the spring, closing it up, and putting it back in the board? Sounds laborious. Does mucking around in there that not mess up whatever special magic makes the Bobas so silent and... smooth isn't the right word, but hopefully you know what I mean. :shrug:

Are you doing anything like filming while you're in there as well, or just the springs?

E: And goonspeed eXXon, sounds like you're in for a journey

Yeah I took the 67x switches apart to lube with Krytox 205G0 and replace the springs. It definitely is tedious and took around 2 hours to do all of them even. Swapping springs makes a huge difference to the characteristic of the switch, and I mostly like lubing switches mostly because it reduces some of the switch chatter / pinging noise but I wouldn't say it's "necessary" depending on your sensitivity to that type of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

mes posted:

Coincidentally, I was going to try out this same exact switch and spring combination on my secondary board and can confirm that this combo owns.

I think mine are actually 52g because I swapped them out from my way-too-light Bobagums but I doubt 3g makes much of a difference :v:

Unsinkabear posted:

Are y'all legit opening up every single switch, dealing out the spring, closing it up, and putting it back in the board? Sounds laborious. Does mucking around in there that not mess up whatever special magic makes the Bobas so silent and... smooth isn't the right word, but hopefully you know what I mean. :shrug:

Are you doing anything like filming while you're in there as well, or just the springs?

E: And goonspeed eXXon, sounds like you're in for a journey

I do warhammer as a hobby this is nothing.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 25, 2022

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I put in Spirit 55g Supreme (linear) springs in my Boba U4Ts and those worked out well for me.

Has anyone messed with non-linear or progressive springs? Just curious if they actually make a significant difference over the course of a 4mm keystroke.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

mes posted:

I put in Spirit 55g Supreme (linear) springs in my Boba U4Ts and those worked out well for me.

Has anyone messed with non-linear or progressive springs? Just curious if they actually make a significant difference over the course of a 4mm keystroke.

You won't notice it in a tactile switch, though multistage springs can be interesting. I like progressives in linears

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Huh. Surprised you guys are lubing the U4s, I thought the consensus was that they're already well lubed from the factory (which was part of the love for them) and you might even reduce the tactility in the process of trying to add more

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think I noticed any factory lube on the U4T's actually, unless I wasn't looking very hard. I mostly want to lube the switches to reduce noise. The tactile bump is really prevalent that I don't really perceive any additional smoothness overall like you'd get on a linear switch.

I think that the fear of reducing tactility of a switch by lubing it, is way overblown. I've lubed both Pewters and Cherry Browns with Krytox 205g0 on the legs and the leaf and didn't notice any substantial change to the overall tactile bump of the switches. I don't think the friction between the leaf and the legs of the stem really adds much to the tactility but I could be wrong about other switches I haven't tried.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Google says it has a lightly lubed spring and leaf out of the box, but the slide rail and rail slot are completely dry. Gazzew recommends leaving it as is, but you can lube the rest if you want and supposedly the sound gets even deeper if you do.

It looks like I was mixing it up with the regular U4, where if you get lube on the silencing bumper it makes the switch feel sticky

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So I finally got a new keyboard and got the apex 3 which seemed a decent and affordable option. Still getting used to the subtle key differences but other than that, yup, it's a keyboard. One thing though; once I plugged it in for the first time, the types of program that tend to run when you first plug new hardware in started up and I closed it because it wanted to close all other applications and I figured I could do it at a future time. Now, I can't find it. There's nothing in the start menu under steelseries and if it's accessible in the device manager, I'm not finding it. The keyboard's working so obviously it's not insanely important but it might be registration for a warranty or something and if that's the case, I'd like to go on and finish it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I just lubed a batch of u4t's and can confirm that they're perfectly good stock.
Lubing doesn't really gain you much except for getting out that last little bit of scratch as well as a more consistent but reduced tactility if you lube the legs. Mind you that's with a VERY light touch of lube on the legs and a good brush stroke on the housing rails and all over the stem.
I probably won't lube any more to be honest.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
My Mojo68 finally arrived, at long last.

keep honking im sobbing
Jul 30, 2012

Does anyone know what spring the c3 tangerines use? I tried one and it felt great.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

keep honking im sobbing posted:

Does anyone know what spring the c3 tangerines use? I tried one and it felt great.

Dark green or light green stem? Dark green is 67g, light is 62g I think?
They're just JWK's stock springs. But yeah they're pretty good. If the JWK's I buy come with the spring weight I want, I don't usually swap them.

It might be worth finding out if the Tangies you tried were first run or later ones.
Personally I find the leaves to be awfully noisy on those particular switches for some reason. Other JWK's don't seem to have the problem.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I need something cheap, hotswap, and non-garbage to drop switches and keycaps into while I wait for Keebio to roll out their next Sinc revision. Did Keychron pull their head out of their collective rear end yet?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Their "customer service" is still aggressively hostile AFAIK if that's what you mean. Buy through Amazon if you're going to buy Keychron so you can return it if there's any problem.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I see. That's a pass on giving them money in general, then. Looks like the NK65 Entry Edition is cheaper anyway

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Check out the royal kludge offerings. Pretty solid for the price.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
I think the KBD67 Lite also fits the bill

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

are there issues with keychron? i was looking into them for the 60% bluetooth model, which i was planning to pair with my surface.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Splash Attack posted:

are there issues with keychron? i was looking into them for the 60% bluetooth model, which i was planning to pair with my surface.

Solid boards for the price and pretty much the only game in town at a lowish price point if you want wireless mechanical. But the company's customer service philosophy is "gently caress you go away".

I concur with Unsinkabear that it's better not to give them money and thus encourage that kind of thing, but, again, if you want wireless and mechanical and don't want to break the bank, you'll have to give money to Keychron.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
I got some sweet new keycaps but the stabilizer guys on the ends of my space bar will not stay in place because the holes are a tiny bit too wide I guess? what are my options here? I probably don't want to glue them in place right

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chenghiz posted:

I got some sweet new keycaps but the stabilizer guys on the ends of my space bar will not stay in place because the holes are a tiny bit too wide I guess? what are my options here? I probably don't want to glue them in place right

People use different things but I have a couple of keyboards with tiny strips off of a post it note keeping the stabilizer posts in. It's not the adhesive, it's just the closest paper I had on my desk when putting them in.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

I see. That's a pass on giving them money in general, then. Looks like the NK65 Entry Edition is cheaper anyway

Like another goon said, the KBD67 is a pretty good option if you don’t like the available color options from the NK65, though slightly more expensive. Mechanicalkeyboards.com has them in stock in the US and I picked one up last week.

mes fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 1, 2022

mewse
May 2, 2006

Chenghiz posted:

Can try cutting out a small piece of a ziploc bag to act as a shim

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Hello keyboard thread! I have decided that while I really still loving love my Huntsman TKL I want to go full wireless. I'm getting a bonus from work in a few weeks and my wife is graciously cool about letting me spend some of it on myself and not our new house (which is probably where it should go.)

I would like to dip my toe into a custom keyboard, I have no problem putting one together, lubing switches, etc, but my problem is I really don't know where to start. I think I'm leaning towards a 75% or TKL design, I like linear switches. Do any of you have a recommendation for a 75% or TKL wireless keyboard? Most of what I see on youtube are hundreds of dollars more than what I want to spend (I'm looking to keep this around $150 if possible).

It's a little overwhelming with switches, stabilizers, gasket mounted, north facing RGB vs. South facing RGB. I just want something that is not poo poo and I can say "I loving did this myself!"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Hello keyboard thread! I have decided that while I really still loving love my Huntsman TKL I want to go full wireless. I'm getting a bonus from work in a few weeks and my wife is graciously cool about letting me spend some of it on myself and not our new house (which is probably where it should go.)

I would like to dip my toe into a custom keyboard, I have no problem putting one together, lubing switches, etc, but my problem is I really don't know where to start. I think I'm leaning towards a 75% or TKL design, I like linear switches. Do any of you have a recommendation for a 75% or TKL wireless keyboard? Most of what I see on youtube are hundreds of dollars more than what I want to spend (I'm looking to keep this around $150 if possible).

It's a little overwhelming with switches, stabilizers, gasket mounted, north facing RGB vs. South facing RGB. I just want something that is not poo poo and I can say "I loving did this myself!"

Wireless is out of your budget tbh

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
What is the price range I would be looking at for wireless?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

What is the price range I would be looking at for wireless?

$300+ if you want wireless custom that’s good. $150 ain’t much for a good board these days unless you want base stuff.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Haha ok! That makes that decision easy! I have a budget of ~$400 for wireless keyboard, mouse and headphones. Thank you keyboard thread!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I mean if you want something wireless but otherwise cheap and no-frills, Keychron has some models like that

They come with switches but some variants are hotswappable so you can pop the switches out and put nicer ones in

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I had looked at the Keychrons. I don't really need a lot "bells and whistles" with a keyboard, I use it for typing and gaming. I was looking at the Iqunix keyboards and that is probably the direction I'm leaning.

mewse
May 2, 2006

My mind went to keychron as well when the asks were "wireless, TKL, hotswap"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Is there a specific Keychron keyboard that is recommended? They have so many versions and variations. I was looking at the K2 75%

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

We're not kidding when we say that if anything at all goes wrong with that board, Keychron WILL tell you to go gently caress yourself. I wouldn't give them money at all. But if you must, I certainly wouldn't give them more than $100.

When you look at it that way, the K2 75% is definitely the least bad choice.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hmmm ok. Thank you! That is not what I wanted to hear :-/ Oh well I guess the Iquonix it is!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Those look interesting, let us know how they are!

keep honking im sobbing
Jul 30, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Dark green or light green stem? Dark green is 67g, light is 62g I think?
They're just JWK's stock springs. But yeah they're pretty good. If the JWK's I buy come with the spring weight I want, I don't usually swap them.

It might be worth finding out if the Tangies you tried were first run or later ones.
Personally I find the leaves to be awfully noisy on those particular switches for some reason. Other JWK's don't seem to have the problem.

It was the dark green tangies. Would you happen to know if JWK springs come in different profiles - linear, slow,progressive, etc, like I know Sprits do

Currently thinking about swapping the spring of my Gateron Cap v2 yellows to the Tangies'. Do you imagine this to be somewhat viable? or am I just wasting my time here?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

keep honking im sobbing posted:

It was the dark green tangies. Would you happen to know if JWK springs come in different profiles - linear, slow,progressive, etc, like I know Sprits do

Currently thinking about swapping the spring of my Gateron Cap v2 yellows to the Tangies'. Do you imagine this to be somewhat viable? or am I just wasting my time here?
The majority of JWK linear springs are 13mm long if that helps, about the same as TX short springs (14mm). Actually this retailer says Tangerine springs are 14mm as well: https://www.keycrox.co.uk/product/tangerine-switches?variant=GGEMEZJB

Maybe don't attribute too much of the feel to the spring though, and IIRC Gateron Cap springs aren't interchangeable with standard MX springs due to the shape of the pole

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

Hmmm ok. Thank you! That is not what I wanted to hear :-/ Oh well I guess the Iquonix it is!

I also just stumbled across this bad boy, which gets surprisingly good reviews for the seemingly too-good-to-be-true price. In particular I see a lot of talk about how good the stock stabilizers are, which isn't something I've read very often in <$100 stuff.

It's a DIY kit so you'll have to drop in the switches and keycaps of your choice, which might be a little tight to squeeze into your remaining budget (depending on the switch choice and whether you're okay with clone keycaps instead of designer ones), but that means you're not paying for filler stuff you won't use, and I think it's worth stretching just a bit to get exactly what you want. $90 for 5-pin hotswap, per-key RGB, underglow RGB, wireless modes, and a knob is a very tempting deal.

E: I'm looking at this and considering if I could get away with a non-split keyboard, lol

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 3, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Thank you so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
anyone have a reccy for macOS kb thats clicky/tactile but not insanely loud? literally asking for a friend.