Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Synthbuttrange posted:

I really didnt need this. its like before she was an insane hedonist that just loves having a flesh body, but turns out she's an idiot. and what the gently caress is even going on with loups's character at all?

Coyote told him to observe the court, so he want from blinding rage powerful enough to make tidal waves of earth to being willing to just chill with them, but he's really tsundere about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

the mind is the plaything of the body

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

At least it's interesting that Loup looks surprised to see Annie and Renard. As he said, he can't locate them easily without interference from some kind of bright light, so every occurrence is a genuine surprise to him.

I wonder if Renard will pick up on something being strange. If anyone would, it'd be him, especially with Loup's ether-mask slipping a bit in the second to last panel.

Like, this chapter still sucks but I'm making lemonade out of lemons

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
When Coyote turned himself into a dead goose he forgot who he was, I'm guessing Loup is going through something similar.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Lol we getting called out in the comments

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Splicer posted:

Lol we getting called out in the comments

I really love how people both here and in other dedicated forum threads have constantly been announcing every single day that this storyline is making them LEAVE FOREVER GUISE YOU'LL BE SORRY TOM and yet they continue to keep posting. It's just like the makeup idiocy explosion from a few years back (which also ended up being nothing in the end.)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dedicated comments sections for any particular work are usually populated by either sycophants or horrible weirdos and we've had examples of both in the last few weeks

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's gonna have to get quite a bit worse before I drop it altogether, but I think I will take the age-old advice of reading this chapter only once it's finished.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
i'm still enjoying the comic, just haven't really posted about it cause i'm not trying to argue with anyone. still gonna read it, and this thread.

gently caress the public comments section though. yikes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mimesweeper posted:

i'm still enjoying the comic, just haven't really posted about it cause i'm not trying to argue with anyone. still gonna read it, and this thread.

gently caress the public comments section though. yikes.

Same, honestly. Aside from never reading the comments section so I don't actually know what's in it.

A big flaming stink posted:

It's just like the makeup idiocy explosion from a few years back (which also ended up being nothing in the end.)

What was this one?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Same, honestly. Aside from never reading the comments section so I don't actually know what's in it.

What was this one?

I think it's referring to people getting mad as hell about Tony abusing Annie when he first returned

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I think it's referring to people getting mad as hell about Tony abusing Annie when he first returned

Yeah I think it's this. Which, if their takeaway was "he forced her to take her makeup off", then they are clearly dumb as rocks and not to be listened to.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I really love how people both here and in other dedicated forum threads have constantly been announcing every single day that this storyline is making them LEAVE FOREVER GUISE YOU'LL BE SORRY TOM and yet they continue to keep posting. It's just like the makeup idiocy explosion from a few years back (which also ended up being nothing in the end.)

A lot of folks HAVE left forever, it feels like. I wonder if his readership has dropped and by how much. Personally I am still checking the comic every now and again but its not with enthusiasm, its because 90% of the comics I read have poofed, turned to poo poo, or are on indefinite hiatus right now. Whats left for me, sluggy freelance, girl genius, and sleepless domain basically as ones that actually update. Please forgive me! too, I guess.

And I still havent checked gunnerkrigg in almost a month now.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
sluggy freelance is still going? wow

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

A lot of folks HAVE left forever, it feels like. I wonder if his readership has dropped and by how much. Personally I am still checking the comic every now and again but its not with enthusiasm, its because 90% of the comics I read have poofed, turned to poo poo, or are on indefinite hiatus right now. Whats left for me, sluggy freelance, girl genius, and sleepless domain basically as ones that actually update. Please forgive me! too, I guess.

And I still havent checked gunnerkrigg in almost a month now.

K6BD is still kicking rear end. (also it's very awkward to post about other comics in a thread, but man :sigh: )

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
K6BD is not currently updating (indefinite hiatus due to new kid/illness), but will be back on rotation once it is, yeah.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

m--morty

This panel is actually just how I feel about the comic rn.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mimesweeper posted:

sluggy freelance is still going? wow

I think there was supposed to be an "ending" at some point but then there's flashbacks and sideflashes and now it's going through the whole story again from the perspective of a magic book and the actual "current place the plot was at" hit cliffhanger over a year ago. Maybe two.

So yeah, same ol' Sluggy. I don't know if Pete is intentionally dragging it out to keep supporter money coming in, scared of the existential crisis that comes from ending something that's been going for so long, or just really sucks at endings. Or any/all of the above.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 28, 2022

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tom works with a buffer right? I’m wrong in thinking today’s comic is a response to the criticism, right?

I mean, the comic from like a decade ago was a boy possessed by some weird spider thing getting threatening with her in a strictly non-sexual manner. Same thing!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Pants Donkey posted:

Tom works with a buffer right? I’m wrong in thinking today’s comic is a response to the criticism, right?

I mean, the comic from like a decade ago was a boy possessed by some weird spider thing getting threatening with her in a strictly non-sexual manner. Same thing!

Was it?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pants Donkey posted:

I'm not sure whether or not the comic is a response, but the comment under it pointing to the old comic definitely feels like an attempt to go "you've seen this before, it's fine!"

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I also really don't like the 'Reynard goes and agrees with Loup-boy that what he did was extremely necessary and useful, and just like Reynard's own masculine behavior in the past as Annie's mentor/buddy' because it continues to play into the exact same tired tropes going into this assault and protection schema. Plus, confirms that the comic is meant to communicate exactly the cliched alleyway assault that we were gritting our teeth over.

I'm sticking it out with the comic at this point more out of curiosity than excitement, which is a shame.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

That was a solid "did considerably less over considerably less" and making the comparison at all feels like a wild misreading of one's own material.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

It's weird because he could have easily linked the strip saying something like "he probably would have" and I wouldn't have thought anything about it, but the "in fact this has happened before" framing does sort of feel like an attempt at justifying it, like he's saying no one had a problem with it then so why now.

Also, I've gone back and reread the last couple chapters and boy, I think they may be even worse when read right through somehow.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

GlyphGryph posted:

It's weird because he could have easily linked the strip saying something like "he probably would have" and I wouldn't have thought anything about it, but the "in fact this has happened before" framing does sort of feel like an attempt at justifying it, like he's saying no one had a problem with it then so why now.

Also, I've gone back and reread the last couple chapters and boy, I think they may be even worse when read right through somehow.

It feels like Tom is having a bit of an internal meltdown. It shows in the strip's sharp decline in quality, as well as the tone of the commentary in the recent retrospectives.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Tbf I stopped reading and I just read the thread now. I imagine there are others doing this.

Gunnerkrigg's been the first tab of my comics/anime/manga window since like 2009. It's kind of depressing cutting that off.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pants Donkey posted:

I assume his buffer is still weeks/months out like it was years ago? The comment under it might be, but he probably already had it in mind if he made that comic a while ago.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I also really don't like the 'Reynard goes and agrees with Loup-boy that what he did was extremely necessary and useful, and just like Reynard's own masculine behavior in the past as Annie's mentor/buddy' because it continues to play into the exact same tired tropes going into this assault and protection schema. Plus, confirms that the comic is meant to communicate exactly the cliched alleyway assault that we were gritting our teeth over.

I'm sticking it out with the comic at this point more out of curiosity than excitement, which is a shame.

I feel like the past few storylines Reynard's just been treated as the default "voice of reason" and his affirmation is meant to be what the reader agrees with. Like, I'd like to hope not because obviously he's never been a perfectly rational actor and has done ill-advised or bad and impulsive things, but all the recent stuff is left unchallenged in a way that definitely seems like something we're supposed to agree with. I don't know, maybe the other shoe will drop eventually and we'll all look like fools for thinking he's supposed to be right, but I feel like I'm waiting on a lot of offputting things that will never be questioned or challenged at this point in the comics.

I'm still reading it because I'm not actively offended enough by everything to drop the comic, but I am also just kind of curious exactly how it plans to wrap up more than anything right now.

There Bias Two posted:

It feels like Tom is having a bit of an internal meltdown. It shows in the strip's sharp decline in quality, as well as the tone of the commentary in the recent retrospectives.

I don't think you can pull enough about Tom's mental state out of the comics to psychoanalyze him and this is a bit too invasive and weird to me. Are there some blatant cries for help in the comic retrospectives or something that really demand this kind of stuff?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

GlyphGryph posted:

Ooooor he may be doing standard webcomic callback practice and link to the page being called back to. C'mon people y'all need to calm down with the brain analysis when all you've got to go on is a few short phrases.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't think you can pull enough about Tom's mental state out of the comics to psychoanalyze him and this is a bit too invasive and weird to me. Are there some blatant cries for help in the comic retrospectives or something that really demand this kind of stuff?

I'm not trying to claim anything concrete here. It just strikes me as a bad sign that he was blatantly apologetic about the Annie fusion execution in that retrospective, that the quality of the writing has been declining, that the below-comic text seems to be a bit defensive, and that he's not bothering to moderate the commentary below his pages sufficiently. Maybe meltdown was the wrong choice of word, but it feels like his heart isn't in this anymore.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I'm actually going to back Reynard for this one. He got an abridged version from Loup that totally downplayed his unhinged reaction.

If it was Annie and Reynard being surrounded in an alleyway I could see Reynard going horror-fox on the boys. Right before Annie turns into a fire spirit and scares them off.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't think the tiny author comments under the comic have changed that much (they were similarly snarky way back in the day about people failing to recognize Eglamore because the art style had evolved so much since he last appeared). People are just responding to Siddell's way of communication differently because they're less happy with him now than they were back then.

As the audience, you are generally not actually able to interact with the artist, although sometimes you feel like you are. Artists pretty much have to cultivate a certain amount of distance these days, or once their audience grows past a certain point, they'll be driven insane, unless they're going for the "actively cultivate parasocial relationships" victory condition, which is basically being driven insane anyway. There's no instruction book for how to do this, and it looks different for different artists.

This is actually very interesting because the way that people perceive artists based on their art and how they present themselves (or avoid presenting themselves) has all kinds of variation!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

. I don't know, maybe the other shoe will drop eventually and we'll all look like fools for thinking he's supposed to be right, but I feel like I'm waiting on a lot of offputting things that will never be questioned or challenged at this point in the comics.

This seems to be the same thing again as what was happening with the reaction to the monologue Annie was giving Jones about her father. It looks bad, but maybe the readers aren't supposed to agree and the other shoe will drop and it just-- never did.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Potsticker posted:

This seems to be the same thing again as what was happening with the reaction to the monologue Annie was giving Jones about her father. It looks bad, but maybe the readers aren't supposed to agree and the other shoe will drop and it just-- never did.

Yeah this nails what I was thinking. So many strips now are like "have faith! the other shoe will drop! He's a good writer and he has a plan!" and then it ends exactly the way it seemed to be going, with an unsatisfying wet fart.

I'm reading mostly out of morbid curiosity right now.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm waiting to see if Loup takes back Coyote's power from Reynard and what will happen to him.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Nuns with Guns posted:

i forget which one, but in one of the recent ones he was talking about adjusting to life in the US after moving to live with his wife, and he felt kind of depressed and that he wasn't doing his best work with the comic at the time

no idea what things are like for him right now

also i dont agree with assuming what the reader is or isnt supposed to see in the comic, or even what a reader is supposed to think about it at all. it seems to me like tom writes the characters as he feels they would act, and what a reader takes away from it is up to us

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 2, 2022

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Kyte posted:

Ooooor he may be doing standard webcomic callback practice and link to the page being called back to. C'mon people y'all need to calm down with the brain analysis when all you've got to go on is a few short phrases.

Ignoring all that, its still just... wrong, the way its stated. It's not the same situation. Superficially similiar, perhaps, but very different fundamentals.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Potsticker posted:

Yeah Annie and her relationship to Tony has bothered me for a long time, but that read like a very resounding "Well.... people are complicated" period on that whole situation. I know I could pull up some others if I thought for a bit, but another one off the top of my head was how when Kat was in her obsessive state about the split Annies. She went and woke up a bunch of the golems even though the first one she'd awoken made it pretty clear they should be left to their "death." And you'd expect that to lead somewhere because even Annie finds that concerning and Kat tries to stop the Annies from finding out, but I guess not?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Nuns with Guns posted:

She went and woke up a bunch of the golems even though the first one she'd awoken made it pretty clear they should be left to their "death." And you'd expect that to lead somewhere because even Annie finds that concerning and Kat tries to stop the Annies from finding out, but I guess not?

Nope it's totally fine to let my friend gradually ascend to godhood, not even a little weird, even as she literally wakes the dead and creates new life. I'm not gonna ask even if I had an epiphany later about how maybe she's suppressing her emotions and may be having problems she's afraid to talk to me about. Nor am I going to ask about her weird godform in the ether and how she was able to create a device to peer into it and why the absolute gently caress she looked like that. Anyway oh no I wonder if this shadow man I met 5 seconds ago who got all weird and pissy at me is ok :ohdear:

Between that and Kat casually befriending Annie's abuser that she used to deeply loathe and talking about how funny and charismatic he is when Annie's not around, no wonder people feel like this comic has lost the great friendship that used to be at its core.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 2, 2022

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Lol Reynardine was a Boomer all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
I think I mostly disengaged with this comic around when the two annies arc resolved. I just haven't found any of the arcs since have really captured that je ne sais quoi that was part of the charm of the original comic.

Honestly, should probably change my av, especially with the whole gender change thing, but I'm a cheap bitch.