Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Is there still an MTG eternal thread? Didn't see it in the first couple pages, but I guess it wasn't terribly active to begin with.

With (maybe kinda sorta almost) in store play starting to come back again, I was thinking about masking up and heading out to some free modern events again. Picked up the new pieces for my current pet eternal decks of belcher and enchantress, but was trying to figure out if there were any new decks in the format.

I haven't really played since late summer/mid fall last year, but it looks like modern is still pretty much just Lurrus piles and a couple 4c decks. Is that roughly correct? I was sort of hoping something would shake it up a little, since I was getting a little tired of every game starting fetch shock ragavan go, but I'm guessing we're still kinda in that place.

At least Enchantress is pretty hilarious into midrange-y decks since you've got plenty of time to get the hard lock then win at your leisure

Technically Modern isn't eternal, but yes the Cardboard Yachtsman thread was the eternal thread.

You're right: Lurrus still dominated a lot of modern, but I would say 4c piles are on the decline, and that MH2 is more of what defines modern right now. There's some interesting brews out of NEO (Oni-cult Anvil and some form of Affinity) but it's uncertain if they have staying power.

One of the issues with Enchantress is that where as enchantments generally were tough to interact with now there;s plenty of MB answrs in Ending, March, Teferi, Trophy, Boseiju, in addition to the deck's lack of speed.

E: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778620

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I have begun construction of my seventh commander deck of the past year. In that time, I have also purchased 12 commander precons.

lmao

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Technically Modern isn't eternal, but yes the Cardboard Yachtsman thread was the eternal thread.

You're right: Lurrus still dominated a lot of modern, but I would say 4c piles are on the decline, and that MH2 is more of what defines modern right now. There's some interesting brews out of NEO (Oni-cult Anvil and some form of Affinity) but it's uncertain if they have staying power.

One of the issues with Enchantress is that where as enchantments generally were tough to interact with now there;s plenty of MB answrs in Ending, March, Teferi, Trophy, Boseiju, in addition to the deck's lack of speed.

E: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778620

Ah nice, thanks!

And yeah, enchantress is super soft to some cards for sure, though it looks like the only new one is boseiju? Which does seem pretty good! It's all worth it for when you slap the second shroud piece down though

I actually play the version with infinite mana main deck because it sometimes means they tap out and immediately you lock the game. But you definitely just sometimes kinda.. lose because you never get the engine online. I look at it as a fun tier 2 gimmick

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Ah nice, thanks!

And yeah, enchantress is super soft to some cards for sure, though it looks like the only new one is boseiju? Which does seem pretty good! It's all worth it for when you slap the second shroud piece down though

I actually play the version with infinite mana main deck because it sometimes means they tap out and immediately you lock the game. But you definitely just sometimes kinda.. lose because you never get the engine online. I look at it as a fun tier 2 gimmick

The white March is new.
I'll be honest I don't know much about enchantress, my strategy against it is untargeted life loss and I've played the mu zero times.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

The white March is new.
I'll be honest I don't know much about enchantress, my strategy against it is untargeted life loss and I've played the mu zero times.

Oh yeah, picked up copies of that one as I can see how it adds the redundancy.

Enchantress is like.. mega weak to decks that don't have to target or attack/deal damage for sure since your goal is to lock the game with solitary confinement behind a sterling grove or two to give everything shroud. The deck is helped by pretty much no one playing it as well, which means the really back breaking sideboard stuff usually isn't there.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

How many cards/decks in modern play a lot of untargeted life loss? you have to deal with sythis who gains its controller 1 life for each enchantment cast..

the new hotness for enchantment decks is hallowed haunting. but unfortunately that cards like $20 ATM and it's played more in standard/commander. i've seen a few decks play it in place of sigil of the empty throne in modern but it's seeing play in the naya enchantment deck in standard

besides the new lands, the latest enchantress deck that went 5-0 (a week ago) also had The Restoration of Eiganjo https://scryfall.com/card/neo/34/the-restoration-of-eiganjo-architect-of-restoration in it. But if you basically have the deck post MH2 it's pretty much the same.. other than maybe sigil of the empty throne seeing way less play.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I regret not picking up more copies of hallowed haunting when it was cheaper. Card's nuts.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

How many cards/decks in modern play a lot of untargeted life loss? you have to deal with sythis who gains its controller 1 life for each enchantment cast..
Very few. I can't afford to play the new teired hotness so I have to attack Modern with some brews. This includes tribal Zombies where I have options in Wayward Servant and Plague Belcher.
Oh! Actually mill and Tasha's Hideous Laughter I assume is unbeatable for Enchantress?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

the new hotness for enchantment decks is hallowed haunting. but unfortunately that cards like $20 ATM and it's played more in standard/commander. i've seen a few decks play it in place of sigil of the empty throne in modern but it's seeing play in the naya enchantment deck in standard

besides the new lands, the latest enchantress deck that went 5-0 (a week ago) also had The Restoration of Eiganjo https://scryfall.com/card/neo/34/the-restoration-of-eiganjo-architect-of-restoration in it. But if you basically have the deck post MH2 it's pretty much the same.. other than maybe sigil of the empty throne seeing way less play.

Yeah the restoration card looks pretty good since it gives you a second win con in case they pithing destiny spinner in addition to getting back enchantments from the gy (which means you can use Stirling as a tutor more often)

Haunting doesn't look like it would fit in the modern deck since 4 mana is a lot and you're normally not attacking within anything but gigantic trample lands once the game is locked down. I might be super wrong here however! I guess it's giving you big ole spirits (edit 2 cause actually they don't fly), but honestly once you've got the game locked down winning it isn't usually a problem. Edit: Though, it looks like the legacy version is running it, so who knows? Maybe it'll turn out to be really good and I'll wish I'd bought it now :shrug:

Since I run the infinite mana combo I also run helix pinnacle main deck, which is good because last time I went to my local store there were a bunch of people with bridges. Enchantress is actually pretty surprisingly weak to a bridge locking you down in modern

There's not many untargeted ways for sure, the most common is mill and lantern decks in my experience? Both of which have regular players around here

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 1, 2022

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

HootTheOwl posted:

I haven't played legacy in a while, do you think it's too strong?
I feel like 'must answer before they untap twice' describes a lot of legacy cards.

From what I've seen it's strong but probably not too strong. The main thing is right now it's functionally a way stronger TNN in decks that can run it where you really have to answer it on the stack. Along with murktide it also continues the trend of giving blue the best best down creature leaving goyf in the corner crying which isn't great given legacy is already to some extent the blue format.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

Yawg-chord uses zulaport cutthroat as a kill with its undying loops.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5CDkmWf2Oc

Prof's new box design mockup, I like that it can fit a whole other gamegenic (or possibly another type of deckbox), box in it as well as those trays for whatever you may need. Real question becomes how many would you realistically need for travel.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
So are the Greasefang/Parhelion combo decks in Historic legit? I watched Nassif play a couple variants and it looked fun but I dont see it on any metagame lists. Figured I'd check before burning a bunch of wildcards.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jiro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5CDkmWf2Oc

Prof's new box design mockup, I like that it can fit a whole other gamegenic (or possibly another type of deckbox), box in it as well as those trays for whatever you may need. Real question becomes how many would you realistically need for travel.

It's kinda bonkers how there's so many gigantic deck boxes that are really good, like the gamegenic stuff

No one makes the really nice ones for 80 card decks it feels like though, so I'm still rocking those ultra pro sidewinder boxes

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So are the Greasefang/Parhelion combo decks in Historic legit? I watched Nassif play a couple variants and it looked fun but I dont see it on any metagame lists. Figured I'd check before burning a bunch of wildcards.

it's a cute combo that's going to blow people out especially in best of one, but i think if it starts showing up enough it's got some pretty simple counterplay that'll keep it from going too far + it's likely the only time you'll ever see parhelion get actual play

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I've been researching false "booster pack" style boxes for the jumpstart box I bought. I'd like to find a kind that has a window for one card on the outside, so I can put the theme card there to identify the booster from the outside. Anyone bought something like this? Right now I'm looking at transparent cubamajigs but I don't know if I want the whole box to be transparent

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I've been playing azorious tempered steel and gruul aggro and both handle it pretty well. It usually doesn't do poo poo until turn three, and if you get your good aggro draw and can go under it's often too late for them. Plus graveyard hate (rest in peace and klothys respectively).

I do lose games, it is explosive and if they get parhelion on board on turn 3 it's usually gg for me. But I win most matches.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

big cummers ONLY posted:

I've been researching false "booster pack" style boxes for the jumpstart box I bought. I'd like to find a kind that has a window for one card on the outside, so I can put the theme card there to identify the booster from the outside. Anyone bought something like this? Right now I'm looking at transparent cubamajigs but I don't know if I want the whole box to be transparent

are zip lock bags (that are sized appropriately to magic card dimensions) not an option? Like the ones that a pack of sleeves come in

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love doubling things. I'm messing around with a Standard deck that copies Calamity Bearer with Mindlink Mech and Delina, Wild Mage to deal high amounts of damage. Are there other creatures like Calamity Bearer that greatly benefit from having multiple copies of them in play?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chamale posted:

I love doubling things. I'm messing around with a Standard deck that copies Calamity Bearer with Mindlink Mech and Delina, Wild Mage to deal high amounts of damage. Are there other creatures like Calamity Bearer that greatly benefit from having multiple copies of them in play?

There's plenty, go to gatherer for any effect that says "double" or "twice" on a permanent.
The issues is none of them win alone so your deck need to be winning before these before relevant.
Like calamity bearer is part of like a hundred damage doubling effects, but you still need to hit a player before any of it matters.
E: so build your Giant tribal deck first, then add the bearers

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HootTheOwl posted:

There's plenty, go to gatherer for any effect that says "double" or "twice" on a permanent.
The issues is none of them win alone so your deck need to be winning before these before relevant.
Like calamity bearer is part of like a hundred damage doubling effects, but you still need to hit a player before any of it matters.
E: so build your Giant tribal deck first, then add the bearers

The only other one I see in Standard is Surtland Flinger, which would do well alongside Calamity Bearer.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

big cummers ONLY posted:

Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the Jumpstart format? Just picking two random packs and mushing them together to play? Have I been playing it wrong?

There are the plain white cubeamajig boxes you could use dry erase marker on the front to label what it is. That could work I guess.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

big cummers ONLY posted:

Just buy a box of letter-sized envelopes from Dollar Tree, they come 80 to a box and you can reuse them until they fall apart

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Chamale posted:

Totally different, but an interaction I hope you will like: T3 Mindlink Mech into T4 Calamity Bearer is pretty gross.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Jiro posted:

Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the Jumpstart format? Just picking two random packs and mushing them together to play? Have I been playing it wrong?

You can still play this way by turning them face down. I'd like to also be able to tell from the outside which pack it is so we can also experiment with combos intentionally. And I want them to look nice in a box, ie not in ziplocs or envelopes. Cubamajigs is looking like the way to go

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I wish I could find a local artist who knows how to draw something other than anime on cards.

Hell, I'm willing to mail cards to art goons at this point.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Some of the alt-art treatments in New Capenna are extremely sick

https://twitter.com/coL_Amazonian/status/1499516726211497994

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 3, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

"Triomes" are in New Capenna

Also some awesome basics

And the Strangers Things cards are appearing in the SET boosters, with Innistrad theming (note the "=SLD###" in the collector numbers)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

this is a good one

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
New Capenna looks amazing

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

flatluigi posted:

this is a good one

I love this mountain so much.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wait didn't cyber ninjas just come out

Lone Goat posted:

"Triomes" are in New Capenna

Also some awesome basics

And the Strangers Things cards are appearing in the SET boosters, with Innistrad theming (note the "=SLD###" in the collector numbers)

This is the perfect way to re-intergrate em', love it. I want to be friends forever with Bjorna, Nightfall Alchemist :ohdear:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The World Inferno posted:

Wait didn't cyber ninjas just come out

New Capenna doesn't release until end of April

info page here https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/first-look-streets-new-capenna-where-family-means-business-2022-03-03

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Excited for the Rockefeller Center/Chrysler Tower/Empire State Building legendary legends

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

the logo for new capenna looks like a muffin that has wings.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

It looks like the world's nastiest brass knuckle to me

edit: oh, I actually think that's what it's supposed to be

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Strong Sauce posted:

Agree and I love it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

AngryBooch posted:

It looks like the world's nastiest brass knuckle to me

edit: oh, I actually think that's what it's supposed to be

yeah, it's a brass knuckle with angel wings

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The Golden Age art on this is incredible. Wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Holy mother of god this alt art treatment.

Their alt arts have been fire lately.