Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

You can level summons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Apparently hitting someone with a bolt of lightning summoned from your sword is completely silent. I will now abuse this.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Oof, finally beat the double boss in redmane keep. That was a rough one - I could pretty easily burn down the first guy with the help of my wolf buddies before the second one got involved most of the time, occasionally lion-o would just decide to not stagger and kill me in 2 hits, but after that there's just so few opportunities to attack. Crucible knight seems to not give a poo poo about much and is fairly relentless, and then you switch to phase 2 and you only get an opportunity for a single r1 maybe once every 30 seconds. He also gives no shits about guard counters and just keeps on truckin' if you try. I tried parrying, but alas...

I wound up waiting for his focus to shift to a wolf to wallop him with a weapon art, and then once the wolves had been smashed just threw lightning at him until he dropped. Challenging fight, but is there some secret to beating him pure melee that isn't just playing super defensively and waiting for the rare opening? I got him down a ways a few time doing that, but then inevitably would miss a roll and usually get 1-shot by the rest of the combo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Relevant Tangent posted:

You can level summons?

When you find Roderika and send her to Roundtable Hold, you can introduce her to the blacksmith. After that, she'll level your summons.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I feel dumb for just having started doing this, but if your packing a bunch of souls... er runes, and hit a boss door you can always preview the boss by just throwing down a summon sign. Ya don't lose souls for dying when summoned, but you do get half (i think) the runes the boss would normally supply if you win

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

My +10 summon now usually ends boss fights with ~95% HP somehow. I'm not sure if it's because he's blocking everything or if the scaling is just bananas. In any case thank u roderika

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

This game really loves to teleport you all over. Just got chewed up and spit out somewhere else in the Academy. That one really caught me off guard.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Can't wait to find out just how thoroughly I hosed over this sorcerer by giving him the key to the academy. :allears:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

FishMcCool posted:

STR friends, the anchor and brick hammer are awesome, but don't sleep on the Grafted Blade. Despite its lower scaling, the thing's base damage makes it an absolute monster, and it upgrades like a charm with a single somber stone per level (also meaning it doesn't compete for upgrades with your other favourite huge weapon). 40 STR required to one-hand it, but that means you can start enjoying it two-handed from STR 27:

And the weapon art is a longish buff to all stats and poise. It slaps.

I have this at +5 too and I am absolutely trucking enemies. Nothing can stand in my way. Although I did just get the Magma Wyrm's Scalesword in the Ruin-Strewn Precipice where you summon the Havel-like person and that thing looks amazing - just need more stones to level it!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I can’t seem to find the big sword that was recommended to me earlier. I got a claymore and it it tiding me over but
It is not quite Lorge enough. Is there an executioners sword sort of thing in this?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Should I upgrade the wolf or jellyfish summon? I'm trying to decided where to put my limited resources in the early game. They both seem pretty good but the wolves are way better at drawing aggro despite being more fragile.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Washin Tong posted:

I mean this game's alright and all but why isn't it like my favorite animes?

nvm found the best Ash of War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JodhgOvcazM

E: ew

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I can’t seem to find the big sword that was recommended to me earlier. I got a claymore and it it tiding me over but
It is not quite Lorge enough. Is there an executioners sword sort of thing in this?

Exact same predicament I find myself in. I got a hot tip on where to find a chonker sword to tide me over until I can hold the blade of blades, NW of Caelin or whatever? I dunno I'm in the zone already but just arrived so pretty sure I'll come across it

Axetrain posted:

Should I upgrade the wolf or jellyfish summon? I'm trying to decided where to put my limited resources in the early game. They both seem pretty good but the wolves are way better at drawing aggro despite being more fragile.

Jellyfish, you're gonna be using these mostly on bosses so the ability to tank hits becomes seriously vital in a hurry

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
For Warrior or dual wield in general, is it better to level up one sword more than the other or have lower levels on each?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Had anyone found any of the ice sorceries yet and are they any good?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Got to the other end of Siofra River and went up to Caelid.

I think I'll go back there later...

Also can someone help me out in Siofra - I lit the beacons and killed the Stag boss. Is there anything else to do down there? I see a dude really far away looking up at a floating ruin, can I get over to him?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Axetrain posted:

don't sweat upgrading spirit ashes. from lvl 1-4 they throw upgrade quantities at you if you do a lot of the crypt dungeons (grave lilies) and it only takes one lilly per upgrade level.

I'm a fan of the skeletons early on, the self-resurrect, as long as you draw aggro from bosses after they get knocked down they won't get finished off. That said midway through the game they are starting to suck, and I don't have enough FP to summon the big boys.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

Also can someone help me out in Siofra - I lit the beacons and killed the Stag boss. Is there anything else to do down there? I see a dude really far away looking up at a floating ruin, can I get over to him?

the elevator at the end of the the area takes you to a place on the overworld that you can't get to otherwise, but there isn't much there TBH, though i'm guessing it does serve a purpose later on.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bardeh posted:

That dude you can get to from elsewhere. But there are lots of ruins with things to find, and another warp gate

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007

Bardeh posted:

There's a teleporter in the south area of ghost viking land that will take you up to a higher level where you can find a friendly lil' lizard and a bunch of zombies. There's also a merchant in the ruined hall area; listen for flute music. Apparently there's a teleporter elsewhere in the world to reach the guy standing far away, but I haven't found it myself.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
lmao the boss of the capital

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/darkstrwastaken/status/1498186295193047040?t=fJuu5pCDt28Far6nIBFMfw&s=19

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Hey help me out!?

I'm playing Elden Ring and I like it just okay.

Seems like Dark Souls 4 but instead of having a cool creatively interwoven world that does fun little moebius things on itsself

It's big and wide open and you have a horse.

Sorry if that's reductionist and dismissive. I really do like it!

Anyway my approach has been to avoid reading anything at all to help me with this game. No googling anything. No walkthroughs. I don't want to know where the cool great items are hidden or where you can hop on your horse and sprint into an area way above your level and grab that one magical sword that will make the first half of the game a total cakewalk. I've made that mistake before.

That said: I've explored much of the map such as it exists to me thus far and am not sure what to do next? There are multiple bosses I've encountered but they all seem to be out of my league (I'm level 21 now). I'd also like to get some magic going but there appears to be no way yet to be able to have a weapon capable of casting (I started a dex build but have been leveling vitality and now faith, mostly).

Should I cave-in and look at some tips and walkthroughs? Keep grinding? I hate grinding and do not want to spam trashmobs to reach level 25 or 30 so I can beat the next boss and progress.

It's so weird I'll kill a special or tough enemy and they're like CONGRATS here is a smithing stone! or a dagger! or some more (effectively) worthless crafting junk! Am I wrong to be expecting not-garbage loot in this massive world? Even when I go out of my way to find a clearly secret area and I find a cool hidden thing I get nothing of value.

Also wild to tout BIG OPEN WORLD OH EM GEE! When there's a bonfire every 10feet and you can warp at any place and any time.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Zore posted:

I have not found any Ice Sorceries yet but I found the Hoarfrost Stomp Ash of War and it's so good that it's convinced me to go Frostbite build.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Arist posted:

Can't wait to find out just how thoroughly I hosed over this sorcerer by giving him the key to the academy. :allears:

i am not sure if there's more to that questline actually but the emote you get from it will come in handy for some stuff

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Zore posted:

There is an NPC in the second area who sells some, after Caria manor. I've not tried them but everyone has good things to say about frostbite so there is probably potential

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Zore posted:

there's a lot of them later on, (npc spoiler sort of? you meet her very early) the blue witch lady has a lot of them related to questlines and also their armor boosts it

frostbite is extremely good, once you proc it on someone they take a decent amount of increased damage (it lowers their defenses) i don't know the amount though

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Should I cave-in and look at some tips and walkthroughs? Keep grinding? I hate grinding and do not want to spam trashmobs to reach level 25 or 30 so I can beat the next boss and progress.

Why are you playing the game like this and making it unenjoyable? Just summon some help for the boss you're stuck on (or keep trying - bossruns are very short in this game) and move on.

It's wild to me that in world this open and with so many options, so many places to go and see and things to do, that you'd even consider grinding trash mobs for hours to level up.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 1, 2022

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's that spell that's just a huge powerful beam? Just like Soul Steam in DS3

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE

Bardeh posted:

Why are you playing the game like this and making it unenjoyable? Just summon some help for the boss you're stuck on (or keep trying - bossruns are very short in this game) and move on.

I am unable to go online with my computer/copy of the game. I summoned help with one boss when it was available but it was of limited help.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm using fextralife's interactive map to find entrances to the side dungeons. no regrets.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Is "jellyfish" not in the word list for messages? I wanna write notes praising her all over the place

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I am unable to go online with my computer/copy of the game. I summoned help with one boss when it was available but it was of limited help.

This game doesn't seem to be for you. Not to be a dick. Honestly. Grinding, following walkthroughs AND no online features?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

If people don’t want to have fun playing a game that’s on them. Don’t yum their yuck please

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

People keep posting about what level they are, but that's probably the least important factor in your success against a tough boss, or in general. Level is just a counter of how many stats you have increased, but people are thinking of it as levels usually are in RPGs where it means you are generally much stronger at level 30 than you were at 10.

That isn't true in a souls game. You can be totally unprepared for something regardless of what level you're at. It's everything other than level that matters - reading attacks, having the right equipment, exploiting weaknesses, etc.

So there's really no reason to go and grind like, 5 levels unless it is specifically to meet the stat requirements for something you really want. It isn't actually going to make much of a difference if you can't beat a boss.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
is redmayne castle supposed to be almost completely depopulated

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So what's the deal with the graces on the map that have the like trail that looks like they're pointing to something. Are they pointing toward another grace?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Macaluso posted:

So what's the deal with the graces on the map that have the like trail that looks like they're pointing to something. Are they pointing toward another grace?

They point towards the critical / story paths.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Hey help me out!?

I'm playing Elden Ring and I like it just okay.

Seems like Dark Souls 4 but instead of having a cool creatively interwoven world that does fun little moebius things on itsself

It's big and wide open and you have a horse.

Sorry if that's reductionist and dismissive. I really do like it!

Anyway my approach has been to avoid reading anything at all to help me with this game. No googling anything. No walkthroughs. I don't want to know where the cool great items are hidden or where you can hop on your horse and sprint into an area way above your level and grab that one magical sword that will make the first half of the game a total cakewalk. I've made that mistake before.

That said: I've explored much of the map such as it exists to me thus far and am not sure what to do next? There are multiple bosses I've encountered but they all seem to be out of my league (I'm level 21 now). I'd also like to get some magic going but there appears to be no way yet to be able to have a weapon capable of casting (I started a dex build but have been leveling vitality and now faith, mostly).

It's so weird I'll kill a special or tough enemy and they're like CONGRATS here is a smithing stone! or a dagger! or some more (effectively) worthless crafting junk! Am I wrong to be expecting not-garbage loot in this massive world? Even when I go out of my way to find a clearly secret area and I find a cool hidden thing I get nothing of value.

Also wild to tout BIG OPEN WORLD OH EM GEE! When there's a bonfire every 10feet and you can warp at any place and any time.

If you're leveling faith, then you can pick up a basic casting item in round table hold, from the item/weapon merchat, which you should have access to (you can teleport to it from your map, it's in the bottom left if you're zoomed out - took me a while to figure that out). If not, just keep exploring and you should get access soon enough.

Otherwise, you're really not constrained to your starting area - the map's huge! You can pick up all sorts of goodies just running around, even if the local enemies might tear you a new one if you engage. In particular, you can find flask quantity and quality pickups since they're both found in recognizable places - a few extra flasks makes fights a lot more doable if it's a close deal. You can go south and east with no complications, and you might just be able to find a route north as well. I'd also suggest running around and grabbing the map steles since they're on the road and it's easier to see where interesting places might be with a filled in map. Usually the areas with more structures or scenery going on have something more involved, small ruins are typically going to be pretty samey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
They point toward the main quest location for each zone.

Efb