Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Flesnolk posted:

There are like 500 pages since I checked this thread last night, so this one might've been posted already, but what do people think about this thread? It feels like an interesting analysis, and a more sober one than most I've been seeing.

Interesting:

https://twitter.com/bazaarofwar/status/1498125950436790280?s=20&t=THdBkDUfNZZs2U3gDtw9tg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Tuna-Fish posted:

There was a military reformer that actually tried doing that. In 2012, he finally stepped on too many toes and was replaced by a maximally politially suitable person. (Read: allows the most kleptocracy)

Belligerent mafia states appear to be self-solving problems.

A javelin missile costs ~$75 000. If you instead have a crew of 3 surrender and have to pay them about 15 000 000RUB, you are paying ~2x much at current exchange rate, but you don't have to transport the javelin to the front and you are maybe getting a tank. Also, it might well get cheaper for you before you have to make the payout. :|

War is ridiculously expensive, these payout amounts make financial sense. Also, lots of prisoners is a very visible hard to fake signal that you are winning, which can lead to winning by more.

$78,000 was the javelin missile cost originally in 2002, and so gets quoted around the internet a lot, but its actually far more now. As of 2021 its approx $175,000[1]

This is one of the reasons the amount of them that Ukraine has been using has caught the Russians so offguard. Theres no way Ukraine would have been able to afford javelins in large numbers before the US/EU started throwing weapons at them in large numbers in only the immediate last few months.

[1] https://www.asafm.army.mil/Portals/72/Documents/BudgetMaterial/2021/Base%20Budget/Procurement/MSLS_FY_2021_PB_Missile_Procurement_Army.pdf

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

DOOMocrat posted:

If there's anything I've personally given up on over the past ten years, it's that information changes minds. I want nothing more for you to be right but I really don't think so.

I'm not sure if there's ever been a similar situation in Russia or other authoritarian countries - best analogy is probably color revolutions protesting a government. But the Ukraine war is deeply unpopular with most Russians who are aware of whats happening. If Russians keep sending in cannon fodder I don't see there being fervent patriotic support, and if there will be a lot of dead Ukrainian civilians, that won't go well for them either. If Putin can actually get his messaging across that he's taking on a neo Nazi regime who are killing ethnic Russians and that this is an existential problem for Russia, then things become more challenging. But he needs more support for his war if he wants to continue it.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I do not think a nation with most labor age men dead, burning to cinders, and the expense that comes with that is something the Russian Federation wants. If Russia did control Ukraine it would make American control of Iraq and Afghanistan look downright orderly. Millions are suffering vs. Billions could die is not an unreasonable parable; a lot of the anger is just lack of control. Good news on that, though; you weren't in control before either.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

fuctifino posted:

This thread used to be a good source of currents events and info about the war in Ukraine.

Now it's turned into a childish slap fight between the egos of a tiny handful of people?
That's kind of a metaphor...

It's mostly a TV/IV liveposting thread and occasionally D&D/C-SPAM all-stars stop by to do their thing. Check back in twenty minutes.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

The whole situation is scary and poo poo but it also feels like the European / global response has been highly appropriate. In all likelihood Putin will still take Ukraine and we'll be accused in the future of having not done enough but at least its clear there is a cost and that the more he pushes the higher the cost will get.

To take a smaller example from the UK, we did practically nothing when Putin assassinated Litvinenko on UK soil with radioactive material. 10 years later we got the novichok nerve agent attacks and other 'statement' assassinations of Russians in the UK. It's not OK and we should have made way more of a big deal of it the first time it happened.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I'll help with some news: boomer Russians aren't gonna be able to be in denial much longer.

https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/status/1498434791364042754?t=whJ8GbjlKzT1mGwyGRjtMQ&s=19

This is gonna hit them a lot harder than younger generations if housing statistics are similar to literally everywhere else

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Kill All Cops posted:

I'm not sure if there's ever been a similar situation in Russia or other authoritarian countries - best analogy is probably color revolutions protesting a government. But the Ukraine war is deeply unpopular with most Russians who are aware of whats happening. If Russians keep sending in cannon fodder I don't see there being fervent patriotic support, and if there will be a lot of dead Ukrainian civilians, that won't go well for them either. If Putin can actually get his messaging across that he's taking on a neo Nazi regime who are killing ethnic Russians and that this is an existential problem for Russia, then things become more challenging. But he needs more support for his war if he wants to continue it.

I see what you're saying, but democracy is in no way required to keep the Russian president in control; at least not since 2004. Arguably never.

KitConstantine posted:

This is gonna hit them a lot harder than younger generations if housing statistics are similar to literally everywhere else

I think it was one of our Russian posters that ways saying most Russian army professionals only do so because it means an apartment.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Can we rate Russia's performance so far on an inverted scale of Germany invading Poland in WWII to Fame Douglas' posting?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's mostly a TV/IV liveposting thread and occasionally D&D/C-SPAM all-stars stop by to do their thing. Check back in twenty minutes.

For we were posters once....and young

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

GTO posted:

The whole situation is scary and poo poo but it also feels like the European / global response has been highly appropriate. In all likelihood Putin will still take Ukraine and we'll be accused in the future of having not done enough but at least its clear there is a cost and that the more he pushes the higher the cost will get.

To take a smaller example from the UK, we did practically nothing when Putin assassinated Litvinenko on UK soil with radioactive material. 10 years later we got the novichok nerve agent attacks and other 'statement' assassinations of Russians in the UK. It's not OK and we should have made way more of a big deal of it the first time it happened.

Shrugging only emboldens awful people.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vorenus posted:

Can we rate Russia's performance so far on an inverted scale of Germany invading Poland in WWII to Fame Douglas' posting?

I think my favorite part is how Russia's military has taken NONE of the lessons of Blitzkrieg to heart, such as multi echelons to ensure secured logistical pipelines.

Its almost hilarious.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Panzeh posted:

The argument is that that is the consequence of the action, not necessarily that you prefer that outcome.

e.g. no NATO support for ukraine: russia controls ukraine

The consequences of military intervention include, potentially, a broader regional war, up to, potentially, actual nuclear war.

Also, depending on the degree of intervention, Russia may still ultimately achieve their immediate military goals in Ukraine, and the loss of life in Ukraine could be greatly worsened.

The potential consequences are really the whole reason to pause and think. Very few people actually prefer that Russia take control of Ukraine or otherwise take any of its territory.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Some more news: Canada is banning Russian oil imports

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1498420301390131203?t=wLCydzkrTx89bVp5bzsdWA&s=19

I wonder how this is gonna affect North American oil exports in general. I'm assuming a lot more is going to get held back for home use, especially if Saudi Arabia continues supporting Russia.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

This thread used to be a good source of currents events and info about the war in Ukraine.

Information has also slowed considerably while Russia (presumably) regroups and switches tactics to siege/urban warfare from air assault/shock and awe. A lot of sources of info in Ukraine are either catching up on sleep or have gone dark. And there's a propaganda war going on which makes it even harder to get good info, even from previously good accounts on Twitter.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

KitConstantine posted:

I edited the tweet out of the original post and put a direct link to the article instead. It matched the tweet when I posted, but I clicked through again and it's been updated significantly walking back the claims

https://ukraine.segodnya.ua/amp-ukraine/evropa-peredast-ukraine-70-istrebiteley-mig-29-i-su-25-dlya-aviaudarov-po-agressoru-1605977.html

It also has sources embedded now
Wait how are the claims walked back when it still says "Our partners are handing over MiG-29s and Su-25s to us! If necessary, they will be able to be based on Polish airfields, from which Ukrainian pilots will carry out combat missions, Goncharenko said."

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

I think my favorite part is how Russia's military has taken NONE of the lessons of Blitzkrieg to heart, such as multi echelons to ensure secured logistical pipelines.

Its almost hilarious.

Well see if you count the echelon that shot up the lightpole, the riot police echelon, the out-of-gas-getting-heckled-by-Ukrainians echelon(s)...

Vorenus posted:

I know it would never happen, but I'm imagining Poland announcing they've just sold Ukraine an entire airbase.

I was kind of (not really) close

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vorenus posted:

Well see if you count the echelon that shot up the lightpole, the riot police echelon, the out-of-gas-getting-heckled-by-Ukrainians echelon(s)...

That video of them shooting up a static APC used as a monument too.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1498420301390131203?t=wLCydzkrTx89bVp5bzsdWA&s=19

I wonder how this is gonna affect North American oil exports in general. I'm assuming a lot more is going to get held back for home use, especially if Saudi Arabia continues supporting Russia.

I would assume this will probably make the shale operations viable again in the short term. Remember OPEC hated them so much they manipulated the markets to put them out of business.

Long term I have to think that getting everyone off of oil and natural gas will be a major priority. You will have Green advocates be able to frame this as a national security issue going forward.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Invading is hard, is what I'm learning here.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Panzeh posted:

The argument is that that is the consequence of the action, not necessarily that you prefer that outcome.

e.g. no NATO support for ukraine: russia controls ukraine

NATO/US/EU are not gravity or the wind. They are actors, with agency.

Even if we think they HAVE to make a specific choice (because the alternative is monstrous), the choice is still made by them! Its really weird to see these posts denying agency to some of the most powerful entities in the world.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Wait how are the claims walked back when it still says "Our partners are handing over MiG-29s and Su-25s to us! If necessary, they will be able to be based on Polish airfields, from which Ukrainian pilots will carry out combat missions, Goncharenko said."

That's what I get for work posting, I just straight up removed the link now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shinjobi posted:

Invading is hard, is what I'm learning here.

I'd almost argue otherwise: Russia has openly demonstrated that not only has all their showy military maneuvers been largely just that, a show, they apparently don't grasp or understand some very core concepts behind logistics in the field that most other armies have long since both grasped and exercised before.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Tank posters - is this a for real T-90? I thought there weren't too many of those

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1498425709546586115?t=TALPW_0yYJr3ZNsQk414zA&s=19

My penance for starting the blow up is to slave in the twitter mines and avoid any further sketchy articles

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

That video of them shooting up a static APC used as a monument too.

OP is referring to that (i think), and how they missed the statue and hit the pole, lol.

https://twitter.com/NickPoole1/status/1498309449169178634

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Not an expert but that definitely appears to be a T-90. I'm almost impressed we haven't seen the same thing with Russian jets. "Welp, no more fuel, better eject and see if anyone down there can give me a change of underwear"

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 1, 2022

fnox
May 19, 2013

Varinn posted:

NATO/US/EU are not gravity or the wind. They are actors, with agency.

Even if we think they HAVE to make a specific choice (because the alternative is monstrous), the choice is still made by them! Its really weird to see these posts denying agency to some of the most powerful entities in the world.

So is Russia? Nobody forced Putin to start this war of aggression and the entire world pretty categorically stated that there would be dire consequences for it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CommieGIR posted:

I'd almost argue otherwise: Russia has openly demonstrated that not only has all their showy military maneuvers been largely just that, a show, they apparently don't grasp or understand some very core concepts behind logistics in the field that most other armies have long since both grasped and exercised before.

Well part of it is always execution, but as mentioned previously if they're trying to do the "invade but don't reduce everything to rubble and waste" then they're going about this in the worst way. You have a better chance of that kind of invasion if the country in question actually does welcome you as liberators. If they don't, good loving luck. It's gonna get messy even if you do everything right--urban warfare sucks rear end.

Russia has made mistakes and also they bought into their own bullshit, is really my takeaway.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KitConstantine posted:

Tank posters - is this a for real T-90? I thought there weren't too many of those

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1498425709546586115?t=TALPW_0yYJr3ZNsQk414zA&s=19

My penance for starting the blow up is to slave in the twitter mines and avoid any further sketchy articles

That does appear to be a T-90 based on the turret, gun, chassis, and the IR countermeasures system.

The wheels and road gear are also a dead match.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tuna-Fish posted:

There was a military reformer that actually tried doing that. In 2012, he finally stepped on too many toes and was replaced by a maximally politially suitable person. (Read: allows the most kleptocracy)

Belligerent mafia states appear to be self-solving problems.

I misspoke there, I should’ve said “continued” instead of “conducted”. I’m aware of Serdyukov, outline of the history of Russia’s military reforms, and how Serdyukov got kicked out for pissing off too many lobbyists.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 1, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

KitConstantine posted:

That's what I get for work posting, I just straight up removed the link now.
So what's going on here - before I start getting thoughts that NATO cannot control Poland's wild impulses?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Have some more Ukrainian legends joyriding in a stolen tank

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1498422823416647682?t=fmbnnsc7ec5XnfremXqSFg&s=19

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

KitConstantine posted:

I'll help with some news: boomer Russians aren't gonna be able to be in denial much longer.

https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/status/1498434791364042754?t=whJ8GbjlKzT1mGwyGRjtMQ&s=19

Not only that, according to a guy I saw on DW a couple of hours ago, a whole lot of mortgages are denominated in other currencies than the rouble, so those folks are going to be in a bit of trouble.

On the whole, I feel this will have long lasting consequences for the economy and standard of living.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KitConstantine posted:

Yep, that's a T-90. Also, they built some 3,000 of the things but most of them are in Indian and Algerian service. Russia still has few hundred.

Bit less than that now.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1498438289598337024

Can't tell if serious or just clever British counterconditioning.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

KitConstantine posted:

For Canada it will change almost nothing. Like 95%+ of Canadian oil is sent to the US for refining anyway. If they are already exporting so much of their oil to the US I doubt they are importing much from Russia.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

Might as well put the house on your Visa, cripes.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I misspoke there, I should’ve said “continued” instead of “conducted”. I’m aware of Serdykov, outline of the history of Russia’s military reforms, and how Serdyukov got kicked out for pissing off too many lobbyists.

Whenever anyone in post ussr Russia tried to modernize state agencies, military and so on. They either got fired or fell off a building

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Do you bring these to your local military guy and say, hey! free tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Whatever the future holds, it's amazing that Russia has been utterly humiliated more in a week than the US was in two loving decade in the ME. That is possibly a more impressive achievement than unifying NATO and drawing record sanctions combined.

Waiting for some Kyiv mechanic to go viral on social media for figuring out how to chop shop stolen military vehicle parts into civilian vehicles.