Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
gently caress the two Erdtree Burial Watchdogs fight, 15k souls down the drain. What a horseshit gank boss, I've given up on it for now. Even the jellyfish is wiped before you get two hits in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

is redmayne castle supposed to be almost completely depopulated

it isn't if you go there before reaching Altus

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Mods No Masters posted:

My +10 summon now usually ends boss fights with ~95% HP somehow. I'm not sure if it's because he's blocking everything or if the scaling is just bananas. In any case thank u roderika

I put some levels into the Marionette soldiers and they just loving gatling gun stuff down with those crossbows at range. I think it would still be strong if it only summoned one of them lol.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
What's up with drop rates in this game? I'm after killing every land octopus I see a dozen times over and I've killed this pumpkin head at least a hundred times and I haven't gotten any of their cool drops. I rarely ever get armor or weapons. In fact I'm still wearing literally the only armor I've gotten to drop besides commoner garb. It feels so barren.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'm knee deep into really tackling a third major region of the game but I watch youtube videos of people in Limgrave a still see new poo poo. "Oh poo poo, I should go there at night, and there's a customizable flask tear like right in the open!??!"

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I found out what Death Blight does.

:stare:

This game continues to horrify in new and interesting ways.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Macaluso posted:

So what's the deal with the graces on the map that have the like trail that looks like they're pointing to something. Are they pointing toward another grace?

They are pointing towards the nearest "big thing" or the next grace on the path to that thing.
"big thing" is mostly the larger dungeons, it is a bit unclear. But if you follow them you generally find something important.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

School Nickname posted:

gently caress the two Erdtree Burial Watchdogs fight, 15k souls down the drain. What a horseshit gank boss, I've given up on it for now. Even the jellyfish is wiped before you get two hits in.

Yeah the catacombs bosses are largely where the put gimmicky and/or cheap stuff. I think they expected people to co-op them a lot but lmao who is going to put their sign down in a catacomb. I'd never be afraid to bail on a catacomb and just come back with some more damage and summon upgrades

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I've gotten like four dex weapons and zero staves now, god drat it

The Great Epee seems pretty good though, but the flails seem middling, unless the Nightrider Flail hits a ton or something

Great epee, more like poo poo epee. Hate weapons that just have mostly pokes and a couple awkward swing options. drat toothpicks.

I use Nightrider flail as my backup for my axe or when I wanna mix things up, but I've never gotten the hang of using the swing stuff for lots of chain hits and my axe does a better job staggering enemies when it hirts, they tend to shrug off the nightrider swings. It's also kind of wimp looking, fails don't look cool until they get absurdly large with the spiky smashy bit. Probably one of the dumbest weapons ever invented next to nunchucks. Obviously any weapon can hurt the user but flails and nunchucks seem like they're more effective hurting the user than anyone else.

I got my dex to 30 thinking I might eventually find something that needed it like the big stat weapons I have for everything else. Might be a mistake though, I'm playing 90% of the time just two-handing my one-handed axe and frost-stomping. I should probably pump more points into mana and hp, not sure what all this dex is even doing for me at this point. The axe has C scaling on dex and d on strength. Lame but haven't seen anything higher than C scaling yet.

I should find the respec NPC because I'm wanting to try this idea of a faith/punch monk since I have that sweet holy hand weapon I can't use. The double weapon lifestyle also seems like it might be fun, it's weird, I don't actually block two-handing much, one-handed axe obviously lovely blocker anyway, except maybe rounding corners in case of ambush. Still, seems a little scary to have that second weapon and I'm not sure when you'd actually use it, or if it would ever do more damage anyway? Generally the amount of damage I do in a combo is limited by how long the boss let's me wail on them. In cases where I'm stamina-blocked, not sure having two weapons swinging would matter. In cases where I'm rolling around to dodge after just a few good whacks, is just the advantage double-stamina for double-swinging? Do you ever get simultaneously swings though?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Nuebot posted:

What's up with drop rates in this game? I'm after killing every land octopus I see a dozen times over and I've killed this pumpkin head at least a hundred times and I haven't gotten any of their cool drops. I rarely ever get armor or weapons. In fact I'm still wearing literally the only armor I've gotten to drop besides commoner garb. It feels so barren.

Curious what your Arcane stat is at.

I definitely noticed more drops when I leveled mine to 10.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

VictualSquid posted:

They are pointing towards the nearest "big thing" or the next grace on the path to that thing.
"big thing" is mostly the larger dungeons, it is a bit unclear. But if you follow them you generally find something important.

They also don't seem to go away, so don't drive yourself crazy if one is pointing at something you've already done and you can't figure out why. It's just a breadcrumb trail to let you know how to get back on the main path.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I was under the impression the pumpkin head helmet only drops from one specific pumpkin head. Most armor drops in this game are like that for good or for ill

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 1, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Nuebot posted:

felt the same way at first, but it picks up.

you're not going to find much good equipment in the open world. it's all in the actual dungeons, and vendors.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

School Nickname posted:

i'm pretty sure they're very weak to sorcery but my character has the INT of a turnip so that does little good

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ohhhhh man I just lost ten hours somehow. I loaded my save and it was just... rolled back. Fuckin A dude. This blows major chunks.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Thread moves too fast for this question: Clawmark Seal question.
Does it make ALL incantations scale off STR, and on top of that, it empowers the incantations from the Beast Sanctum? Can I become a barbarian shaman, pumping STR and casting spells?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

VictualSquid posted:

Huh. Will they go away if you encounter this "something important" because one is pointing toward the south of the Morne castle that I finished, unless it's trying to guide me back to the father since I never finished that up.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Ohhhhh man I just lost ten hours somehow. I loaded my save and it was just... rolled back. Fuckin A dude. This blows major chunks.

Yep. PS5 I assume? It's just... not autosaving on PS5 for some reason. And a patch will be out to fix it at... some point. They didn't give a date as far as I know. I've had to resort to every once in a while saving and quitting to the main menu just in case something happens like it did during the power outage I had the other night.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Willfrey posted:

I'm using fextralife's interactive map to find entrances to the side dungeons. no regrets.

yes same. thorough combing of the landscape and then to the map for everything I missed, which is usually not insignificant.

Didn't make a ton of progress in a couple hours tonight. Explored the western costal region. Realized there was an area beyond the village of the albinaurics when I found the map that i'll have to check out. Found and unlocked one of the belfries to a Hidden Area with that dude I posted in the armor that hits like a truck. also can't be backstabbed, can GRAB YOUR HORSE, and seems to have very very good edge-pathing so can't be cheesed. I gave up.

tried to find the cave with the smithing stone shop unlock item but it's a two imp key door? lame. I'll come back

maybe I'm good enough to fight the glintstone dragon now?

no, no I am not.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

elden balls

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

i'm pretty sure they're very weak to sorcery but my character has the INT of a turnip so that does little good

I miss Straid

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

Huh. Will they go away if you encounter this "something important" because one is pointing toward the south of the Morne castle that I finished, unless it's trying to guide me back to the father since I never finished that up.

Yep. PS5 I assume? It's just... not autosaving on PS5 for some reason. And a patch will be out to fix it at... some point. They didn't give a date as far as I know. I've had to resort to every once in a while saving and quitting to the main menu just in case something happens like it did during the power outage I had the other night.

Nope, Xbox 1. Pretty hosed up.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

you can see most of the side dungeons on the map if you look closely. idk about most but many. it's good to explore every square inch of the overworld anyway imo. this game plays with your sightlines expertly, often you need to be up close to see treasures and loot.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

gently caress the hands

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

RBA Starblade posted:

I miss Straid

Straid visited the place, but those feeble tarnished ones couldn't manage the glories that are his spells.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

it's good to explore every square inch of the overworld anyway imo. this game plays with your sightlines expertly, often you need to be up close to see treasures and loot.

i disagree with this.

anything important is drawn on the map. you don't need to be combing over what looks like an empty field up close because all you'll find are crafting materials.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Is there anything you can do with the giant pot in Caelid

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nuebot posted:

It broke me eventually. Forty hours with zero heavy armor greaves or chestpieces so I had to look up how to get one. On the plus side, no shortage of weapons which is the really fun part.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Has anyone hacked up infinite upgrade supplies to test the differences between weapons? I am especially wondering how Ashes combined with regular Smithing Stones that go to +25 weapons compare to the weapons upgraded with Somber Smithing Stones and only go to +10. Especially since you can't change the weapon arts or use buff spells/items on them (as far as I am aware.)

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

skasion posted:

When I went there it was surrounded by messages saying stuff like "Need Elden Ring" so I'm guessing something unlocks there once you progress far enough in the main story.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The random going ons at the round table hold are fascinating. the guy who just looks at you and says nothing died????? And I have his armor now!!!?????

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I miss Straid

My favorite character in the series.

"... long enough for the old world to have crumbled... Very good indeed!"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm in the uh... red plauge place and I am thoroughly creeped out

There is something extremely unsettling about the view on the overlook where you can see the giant pot

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Macaluso posted:

I'm in the uh... red plauge place and I am thoroughly creeped out

There is something extremely unsettling about the view on the overlook where you can see the giant pot

Bloodborne invaded and hosed the wizards up lol

Or maybe the wizards welcomed them in

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FishMcCool posted:

STR friends, the anchor and brick hammer are awesome, but don't sleep on the Grafted Blade. Despite its lower scaling, the thing's base damage makes it an absolute monster, and it upgrades like a charm with a single somber stone per level (also meaning it doesn't compete for upgrades with your other favourite huge weapon). 40 STR required to one-hand it, but that means you can start enjoying it two-handed from STR 27:

And the weapon art is a longish buff to all stats and poise. It slaps.

This has been my sword to roll with so far and been loving it as well.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

skasion posted:

There are some hard NPC summons you can duel and you get a talisman if you beat them. As of when I looked at discussion about it a few days ago no one had found anything else there

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Which boss do I have to kill in order to unlock the respec feature?

Also, a friend of mine asked me this question. If she used Wemod, which is basically a cheat trainer to enable instant, kill and used it on a boss once while offline in game mode and offline in steam, how likely is she to get the soft banned during the weekly checkups on the servers? She told me she didn't use it to add a hajillion runes or alter any stats.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 1, 2022

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

lite_sleepr posted:

Rennala

How the hell do i make skeletons stay dead? i've been swinging at the glowy bit as they die and are on the ground, but it's inconsistent at best.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

lite_sleepr posted:

Also, a friend of mine asked me this question. If she used Wii mod, which is basically a cheat trainer to enable instant, kill and used it on a boss once while offline in game mode and offline in steam, how likely is she to get the soft band during the weekly checkups on the servers? She told me she didn't use it to add a hajillion runes or alter any stats.

Forwarded post to miazaki. banned unless she provides feet pics

but seriously, who knows what the anticheat checks? Game is less than a week old ya rolling the dice my friend

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I found out what Death Blight does.

:stare:

This game continues to horrify in new and interesting ways.

Your average game only have 1 type of poison. Here we get a mad collection with ugly side effects.

Its so amazing and magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You do not need to do the assassinations in volcano world to progress that zones main quest, for those who will be getting there soon.

The Sella questline gets wild as it goes, haha

lite_sleepr posted:

Also, a friend of mine asked me this question. If she used Wii mod, which is basically a cheat trainer to enable instant, kill and used it on a boss once while offline in game mode and offline in steam, how likely is she to get the soft band during the weekly checkups on the servers? She told me she didn't use it to add a hajillion runes or alter any stats.

The boss of Lake Liurna/Raya College of Magic. It requires a fairly limited item to do, so its not something you can engage with at whim.