Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Third World Reagan posted:

They do not declare war because you vassalise a human faction. At least not norsca.

I should have said non-chaos faction. If you Vassalize Karl Franz, for example. Every chaos faction will immediately declare war on you the second they get any kind of line of sight to Reikland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dramicus posted:

I should have said non-chaos faction. If you Vassalize Karl Franz, for example. Every chaos faction will immediately declare war on you the second they get any kind of line of sight to Reikland.

Kill them first.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Third World Reagan posted:

They do not declare war because you vassalise a human faction. At least not norsca.

What they're referring to is an issue where if you vassalize a non-Chaos faction, anyone you have diplomatic relationships with can now see them. And Daemon factions are automatically at war with those. So what happens is you vassalize, say, an Empire faction, and a Nurgle faction next to you can now see them and immediately goes to war... which drags you in since they're your vassal.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
tried out battle realism, decided I didn't like it and unchecked it and it wouldn't go away.. had to edit the save file, learned how from a 2014 post about the same bug

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Did that same 2014 post mention anything about to activate mods without the mod manager? I have so many fun ideas and I have the tools to make them but I can't get the game to turn them on. :argh:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

Huh, it doesn't give you an option to wait around for the reinforcements? I've been able to wipe out an initial army before reinforcements arrive and it's given me a "Hang around, or end the battle now?" option to click or not. Maybe because they're from different factions?

If there's no more enemies in the field - including fleeing ones - the battle immediately ends. The stacks you summon with the Khorne manifestation are all demons, so they'll disintegrate wholesale and leave nobody behind to keep the battle going.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Just kite them until the reinforcements arrive.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Did that same 2014 post mention anything about to activate mods without the mod manager? I have so many fun ideas and I have the tools to make them but I can't get the game to turn them on. :argh:

Yeah, theres a fair number of edits that can be done rn but I don't wanna bother doing lots of work just to have to do it again when a patch hits.

Battle variables like fatigue from shooting are editable rn as are things related to AI difficulty levels.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It's important to note that without properly updated tools and a functioning mod manager, most mods are going to be movie style mods, which cannot be disabled unless you delete the file - they're always on even if you have the mod manager. So if you mod your game now, remember to delete it once mod support is officially out.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The soundscape in the Realm of Chaos is really cool. If you zoom in on the map, you can hear whatever thing you’re focusing on louder. If you do it to the Bad Moon in Slaanesh’s realm, you can hear goblins laughing.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Forest only affects the farm in the same settlement, and are generally less good than markets, but you have three slots per oblast region and those are your only 3 options for making money in them, so maximum income is market, then farm, then forest, but you will also want to build the trade goods and probably a church for supporters/patriarch cap, so I would suggest putting those in the regions with trade goods. You can also put a recruitment building in there if you want. If you are going to only have one economic building it should be a market, so you can also do market + trade good + one other discretionary building.

The three cities generally have more economic output than the oblasts and do it all through the market line. Also you can sometimes roll a + building income trait on a frost maiden, if you do I think they're good to get and also slap the + income ancillaries on them and take the boost income skill options, you can get a quite significant boost to income with that which will offset the agent cost when they are in the home territories. Also you can get ancillaries for lords too that do the same thing, can add up to a few extra hundred gold if you stack them together.

Meant to thank you for this but been super busy so thanks!

Have had a lot of fun with the game but agree it's not perfect and there's room for improvement. I don't mind elements of the chaos realms but they are definitely not my favourite part of the game. I'm curious if people have ideas for how to improve them. I think having movement halt at every portal jump is a loving drag for starters. Tzeentch is just annoying, I think I had to reveal every sigil before finding the route, another faction popped in much later and almost beat me to the end. It also has felt like I MUST grab a soul every time a rift opens or I'm hosed and so far have not encountered a scenario wherein I can successfully delay an opponent who has obtained all 4 souls before me. I do like some of the choices you're given such as carrying Khorne weapons until you enter another realm and Slaneesh's temptations, though no idea how balanced they are overall.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Levin posted:

Meant to thank you for this but been super busy so thanks!

Have had a lot of fun with the game but agree it's not perfect and there's room for improvement. I don't mind elements of the chaos realms but they are definitely not my favourite part of the game. I'm curious if people have ideas for how to improve them. I think having movement halt at every portal jump is a loving drag for starters. Tzeentch is just annoying, I think I had to reveal every sigil before finding the route, another faction popped in much later and almost beat me to the end. It also has felt like I MUST grab a soul every time a rift opens or I'm hosed and so far have not encountered a scenario wherein I can successfully delay an opponent who has obtained all 4 souls before me. I do like some of the choices you're given such as carrying Khorne weapons until you enter another realm and Slaneesh's temptations, though no idea how balanced they are overall.

The first thing I'd do would be change the corruption traits from pure negative to double edged. Slaanesh for example bumping your army's MA at the expense of MD and Tzeentch giving you more winds of magic at the cost of spell resistance.

As for the realms themselves, Khorne's a blast. Everything it should be. Nurgle's realm is just Annoying Khorne. I don't want attrition, I want corruption. I want things to change. I want to end up plagued with a non-zero chance of a unit of permanently plagued troops that are hella tanky and spread nurgle corruption. (Or failing that just a unit or two of Forsaken).

Slaanesh's realm I want a second type of choice. I want to be able to pay units or permanent traits to skip rings so the temptations aren't all one way. I'm also tempted to leave some of my troops as playthings. And it would make it at least faster and a mechanic I engaged with rather than shrugged. If I could do it in four turns rather than seven but at the cost of one of my cheapest units, one of my most expensive, and a hero of at least level 5 then it would be much more interesting.

And Tzeentch? Rework. Leave all the sigil pairs visible - but they randomise every turn. I need to visit four of the points on the domains rather than work out a route and the fourth teleports me there. And give me gifts. Gifts I'm not sure I want.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Whats the logic behind the quest mechanic? For non storyline quests it just seems random. I legit got like 15 quests in 15 turns, legit never seen that happen in TW2. I will ignore them but it's annoying to see so many quests on the side piled up, triggering my ocd to complete it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

neonchameleon posted:

The first thing I'd do would be change the corruption traits from pure negative to double edged. Slaanesh for example bumping your army's MA at the expense of MD and Tzeentch giving you more winds of magic at the cost of spell resistance.

As for the realms themselves, Khorne's a blast. Everything it should be. Nurgle's realm is just Annoying Khorne. I don't want attrition, I want corruption. I want things to change. I want to end up plagued with a non-zero chance of a unit of permanently plagued troops that are hella tanky and spread nurgle corruption. (Or failing that just a unit or two of Forsaken).

Slaanesh's realm I want a second type of choice. I want to be able to pay units or permanent traits to skip rings so the temptations aren't all one way. I'm also tempted to leave some of my troops as playthings. And it would make it at least faster and a mechanic I engaged with rather than shrugged. If I could do it in four turns rather than seven but at the cost of one of my cheapest units, one of my most expensive, and a hero of at least level 5 then it would be much more interesting.

And Tzeentch? Rework. Leave all the sigil pairs visible - but they randomise every turn. I need to visit four of the points on the domains rather than work out a route and the fourth teleports me there. And give me gifts. Gifts I'm not sure I want.

You can actually get gifts, or "Boons" in Tzeentch's realm, from the glowing spots. Though you have to choose them instead of something like the sigil pairs, so most people probably don't.
They're not quite as strong as Slaneesh's, obviously. But there is still some pretty strong stuff, like +9 to lord recruitment level for 10 turns.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Onmi posted:

NOPE!

There are two paths chosen at random depending on which faction you're playing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/syr0uh/the_chaos_realms_tips_and_ai_cheats/

OP, can you add this to the OP, or perhaps your "reserved #2" post? it's not easy to find via google or Reddit search.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Ulio posted:

Whats the logic behind the quest mechanic? For non storyline quests it just seems random. I legit got like 15 quests in 15 turns, legit never seen that happen in TW2. I will ignore them but it's annoying to see so many quests on the side piled up, triggering my ocd to complete it.

Most of the ones I've seen are aimed at making you engage with particular mechanics, either general or faction-specific.

I would guess they are triggered by you not having done the thing at all by turn X, but I haven't tested this.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, theres a fair number of edits that can be done rn but I don't wanna bother doing lots of work just to have to do it again when a patch hits.

Battle variables like fatigue from shooting are editable rn as are things related to AI difficulty levels.

But should you make those edits - how would you activate the pack file?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

gently caress I hate Tzeentch's realm. gently caress it. gently caress it forever. The only way I can reliably slog through it is if no other AI enters it on that round of rifts. By the time I can plot out the loving portals, the AI has gotten the soul. It's loving bullshit and I hate it.

Like the rest of the realms are rote, but Tzeentch is just absolute loving bullshit.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
You can just look up a map. The only thing that changes from game to game is which rune is paired to the final battle island. You can get through Tzeentch in like 3 turns if you're lucky. Maybe 5 or 6 if you start in a bad spot.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Directly editing data.pack

Which is why I don't wanna bother if theres gonna be lots of hotfixes coming out

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Yeah I figured that's what you meant. It's a shame it's a 6gb file or I could just play around with switching in and out different versions while I try out different things.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
The final tzeentch realm battle is some horseshit too. Went there on the first rift as Cathay to get it out of the way and while the other battles leading up to it were much easier than on the fourth rift as slaanesh, the final battle had just as many opponents. Ended up reloading and taking the pyrrhic auto resolve. Most of an army gone but at least I never have to go back.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Directly editing data.pack

Which is why I don't wanna bother if theres gonna be lots of hotfixes coming out
Wouldn't saving out your edits as a movie-type pack file and leave it in the data directory work?

Also lol at TWW3 not having split out the database files in data.pack out to a separate database.pack file like they finally intelligently did in TW3K.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 1, 2022

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

lurksion posted:

Wouldn't saving out your edits as a movie-type pack file and leave it in the data directory work?

Also lol at TWW3 not having split out the database files in data.pack out to a separate database.pack file like they finally intelligently did in TW3K.

Thank you! Yes that does work.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I thought they wanted to tell us the roadmap for Immortal Empires and DLC last week, did I misunderstand something? Was it this week?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Torrannor posted:

I thought they wanted to tell us the roadmap for Immortal Empires and DLC last week, did I misunderstand something? Was it this week?

I think that got pushed back by the hotfixes or something.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
If they're going to force me to engage with a mechanic like the chaos gates and getting souls for story reasons, then I'd appreciate if they put more effort into the ending cinematics. I've finished with Skarbrand and Skrag the Slaughterer and holy poo poo are the endings anemic. You get like 1 static picture and a 5 second voiceover going "YUP, you did that thing you said you'd do!" then it moves on to the same animation every campaign gets.

Khorne: You did infact collect the skull of the bear. Good job~ the end
Skrag: You did in fact eat the bear. Good job~ the end

A bit more of an epilogue would be nice...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The only nice thing I can say about the realms is that they're aesthetically cool, at least before you get fucken sick of them

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

If they're going to force me to engage with a mechanic like the chaos gates and getting souls for story reasons, then I'd appreciate if they put more effort into the ending cinematics. I've finished with Skarbrand and Skrag the Slaughterer and holy poo poo are the endings anemic. You get like 1 static picture and a 5 second voiceover going "YUP, you did that thing you said you'd do!" then it moves on to the same animation every campaign gets.

I got a chuckle out CA dropping Be'lakor at your capitol with no story-popup to justify it. It's such a no-effort after thought, it's almost lore-appropriate for Be'lakor.

The lack of a decent ending is kind of weird considering CA went for a campaign with more story focus. Perhaps working-from-home hosed with their art department somehow. Or maybe after making the "soul-captured" story cinematics, they somehow didn't have enough budget to make decent endings.:shrug:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I keep trying to force myself to finish a campaign to get the unlock and i'm just so, so loving bored of the chaos wastes.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Same, but chasing Ogres in the drat mountains. And with Nurgle economy I can either have enough forces or be able to build up conquered lands, because late game I can't just throw 2 stacks of Nurglings at a problem.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It's kind of funny just how thoroughly and regularly Franz gets eaten by Skrag given ordertide in previous games.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Raygereio posted:

I got a chuckle out CA dropping Be'lakor at your capitol with no story-popup to justify it. It's such a no-effort after thought, it's almost lore-appropriate for Be'lakor.

The lack of a decent ending is kind of weird considering CA went for a campaign with more story focus. Perhaps working-from-home hosed with their art department somehow. Or maybe after making the "soul-captured" story cinematics, they somehow didn't have enough budget to make decent endings.:shrug:

They do have a story justification, it's just ridiculous

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Collapsing Farts posted:

Cathay is different: You did not, infact, find out where your sister is. Good job~ the end

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

dogstile posted:

I keep trying to force myself to finish a campaign to get the unlock and i'm just so, so loving bored of the chaos wastes.

I beat the game. Then the turn after I immediately lost my capital to three stacks of Kislev armies while my main lord was away. Engaging!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Onmi posted:

Huh. I didn't get that pop up at the end of my Cathay campaign.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Onmi posted:

I cannot imagine any Kislev ruler being okay with this and yet they get the event as well. :cripes:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I really love the idea of the leader of Kislev, the most anti-demon human nation, coming home holding hands with a superdemon.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Send Be'lakor with no army to repeatedly die in battle. Make him do the Charlie Work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's really weird how half-assed and just plain bad the narrative campaign is. It feels rushed. I hope it feels rushed because they spent all their time and resources working on immortal empires campaign and not because CA finally fell victim to a troubled development.

I just spent two hours fiddling around making a mod and then as soon I got it all working and logged in to play I lost all interest.