Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

it brings me no pleasure to report that the lauren boebert free army has died from dysentery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 12 days!)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
come and join us

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

it's good that the water obeyed the stop sign

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Too Many Birds posted:

it brings me no pleasure to report that the lauren boebert free army has died from dysentery

Liar.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mediaphage posted:

yeah yellowstone is kind of inconceivable, a thing i read suggested 90k dead from the shockwave alone

America calls that “January”.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

lmfao is this really how you think that scenario would conclude?

yeah you show that comedy webcomic

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

well i went a head and took a quick spin through ar6 wg2's graphics

first off we have "all the fish have to die or move"

next up is "60% of biodiversity in the tropics is at risk"

or how about "the death of half of everything" (thanos was a cuck)

here's a great new neologism, "food production loss events", sorry india!

but wait there's another one: "yield constraint score"

this one says climate change is bad for humans! sure hope nobody in india has to work outdoors to overcome their yield constraint score during a food production loss event

here's the real deep cut poo poo, how about 10 million dead?

or the 366 days of the year that going outside will kill you in indonesia

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 03:10 on Mar 1, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yes yes covid deaths har har, it's still incredible to think of that many people dying within a few seconds / a minute of an eruption

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

skooma512 posted:

I think with Ukraine I'm at my limit at monitoring crises.

There's

* Climate
* COVID
* Economic poo poo
* Ukraine
* China's real estate market
* America's real estate market

Any ships want to get wedged in any more canals?

Eh, you're over complicating it, it's all human population overshoot

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
There's gonna be a supervolcano busting all over and I still need to be at my desk by 8 am

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

starkebn posted:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Karach posted:

There's gonna be a supervolcano busting all over and I still need to be at my desk by 8 am

that one pompeii guy except ur hunched over the remains of a pc with the scorched remains of like 20 empty coffee cups

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

starkebn posted:

:mods:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

imo population 'overshoot' is only the issue because things like capitalism are so bad, we all know we could have plenty of people alive and happy without killing the earth, but we just...don't

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mediaphage posted:

yes yes covid deaths har har, it's still incredible to think of that many people dying within a few seconds / a minute of an eruption

Don’t read about this.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

MightyBigMinus posted:

well i went a head and took a quick spin through ar6 wg2's graphics

first off we have "all the fish have to die or move"

next up is "60% of biodiversity in the tropics is at risk"

or how about "the death of half of everything" (thanos was a cuck)

here's a great new neologism, "food production loss events", sorry india!

but wait there's another one: "yield constraint score"

this one says climate change is bad for humans! sure hope nobody in india has to work outdoors to overcome their yield constraint score during a food production loss event

here's the real deep cut poo poo, how about 10 million dead?

or the 366 days of the year that going outside will kill you in indonesia

Well huh

starkebn
May 18, 2004

mediaphage posted:

imo population 'overshoot' is only the issue because things like capitalism are so bad, we all know we could have plenty of people alive and happy without killing the earth, but we just...don't

:wrong:

Edit: unless by "plenty of people" you mean like half a billion worldwide.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

terrifying, eh. i guess most of the living structures were built into dugouts in silt cliffsides; i can imagine how that might basically liquify in an earthquake.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

by volume, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that cows have conquered the planet, using their human servants to convert forests into pasture, to feed and propagate them?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

starkebn posted:

:wrong:

Edit: unless by "plenty of people" you mean like half a billion worldwide.

no, i don't think we'd have to limit the population to 500 million to avoid thoroughly destroying the planet, sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it'd be easier, though, and it doesn't matter because that's long since passed

starkebn
May 18, 2004

mediaphage posted:

no, i don't think we'd have to limit the population to 500 million to avoid thoroughly destroying the planet, sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it'd be easier, though, and it doesn't matter because that's long since passed

I guess you haven't been reading this thread much then, or just don't agree with many of the posted articles about the issue?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Too Many Birds posted:

should have known better than to let her cater

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Voice of Labor posted:

by volume, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that cows have conquered the planet, using their human servants to convert forests into pasture, to feed and propagate them?

cars are obviously the dominant species on the planet

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

🌳

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
drat bacteria is about to come up huge when plants go

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

drat bacteria is about to come up huge when plants go

I have bad news about what happens when the lion’s share of autotrophs takes a dive.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think bacteria might be higher than that. and really arthropods should just read “MOTHERFUCKIN’ ANTS”

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mediaphage posted:

i think bacteria might be higher than that. and really arthropods should just read “MOTHERFUCKIN’ ANTS”

been seeing a lot of fearmongering on mega-colonies and I for one :goonsay:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The Voice of Labor posted:

If that's the metric, pretty sure corn is winning

though, granted, with the razing of the Amazon, cattle are a strong second place for now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The answer to “how much corn could there possibly be?” is at the end of this paragraph, but the rest of it is too relevant not to quote.

quote:

Human activity contributed to the Quaternary Megafauna Extinction between ≈50,000 and ≈3,000 y ago, which claimed around half of the large (>40 kg) land mammal species (30). The biomass of wild land mammals before this period of extinction was estimated by Barnosky (30) at ≈0.02 Gt C. The present-day biomass of wild land mammals is approximately sevenfold lower, at ≈0.003 Gt C (SI Appendix, Pre-human Biomass and Chordates and Table S11). Intense whaling and exploitation of other marine mammals have resulted in an approximately fivefold decrease in marine mammal global biomass [from ≈0.02 Gt C to ≈0.004 Gt C (31)]. While the total biomass of wild mammals (both marine and terrestrial) decreased by a factor of ≈6, the total mass of mammals increased approximately fourfold from ≈0.04 Gt C to ≈0.17 Gt C due to the vast increase of the biomass of humanity and its associated livestock. Human activity has also impacted global vertebrate stocks, with a decrease of ≈0.1 Gt C in total fish biomass, an amount similar to the remaining total biomass in fisheries and to the gain in the total mammalian biomass due to livestock husbandry (SI Appendix, Pre-human Biomass). The impact of human civilization on global biomass has not been limited to mammals but has also profoundly reshaped the total quantity of carbon sequestered by plants. A worldwide census of the total number of trees (32), as well as a comparison of actual and potential plant biomass (17), has suggested that the total plant biomass (and, by proxy, the total biomass on Earth) has declined approximately twofold relative to its value before the start of human civilization. The total biomass of crops cultivated by humans is estimated at ≈10 Gt C, which accounts for only ≈2% of the extant total plant biomass (17).

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1711842115

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

quote:

A worldwide census of the total number of trees (32)

lol

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

(2015)

quote:

We provide the first spatially continuous map of forest tree density at a global scale. This map reveals that the global number of trees is approximately 3.04 trillion, an order of magnitude higher than the previous estimate. Of these trees, approximately 1.30 trillion exist in tropical and subtropical forests, with 0.74 trillion in boreal regions and 0.66 trillion in temperate regions.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

walking through the woods with a clipboard, going up to each tree to ask it important demographic info

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

we really did have everything didn't we

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In 1884, Bill Cornthwaite cut down a eucalyptus tree on his farm near Thorpdale, Victoria, believing it to be the tallest in the world.

He was right.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

toggle posted:

depends on how you define "we" and "everything"

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

The answer to “how much corn could there possibly be?” is at the end of this paragraph, but the rest of it is too relevant not to quote.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1711842115

this pairs nicely with that article a few pages back about how we're drawing down the global battery

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

brb, taking a quick joker laugh break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

toggle posted:

I mean we could still salvage a pretty decent world if western society imploded overnight, we’re not quite at the ‘it’s all over’ stage yet