Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I mentioned it before but the movie looks and feels so goddamn amazing. The story has some issues. If rumors are to be believed it was because Jamie Foxx had some demands that screwed up the production so things had to be changed.

when they were filming in the dominican republic their security got into a gun fight with a local

I think at that point jamie foxx said gently caress this and went back to the US, refusing to do any more shooting outside the country

I've heard some of his other demands were ridiculous at times, but I totally get that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

The slow zoom on the Rich Evans laugh will never ever get old.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TIP posted:

when they were filming in the dominican republic their security got into a gun fight with a local

I think at that point jamie foxx said gently caress this and went back to the US, refusing to do any more shooting outside the country

I've heard some of his other demands were ridiculous at times, but I totally get that one

Yeah I heard something about unsafe shooting conditions with regard to the cigarette boats out in stormy conditions/lightning too, which sounds bad. But it did look amazing! :haw:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe wait for the trade paperback of Heat 2. Never buy hardcovers new.

Barnes & Noble has new bestseller hardcovers for 30% off. Plus another ten percent off if you're a Barnes & Noble member. At only 25 bucks a year, a Barnes & Noble membership pays for itself pretty quickly.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
For all these years I never bothered seeing the Miami Vice movie because why would I wanna see a trashy cash in on an 80s tv show but I didn’t know it was the same dude! I guess I’ll check it out

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Jose Oquendo posted:

The TV show is for the most part top tier TV. I would at the very least watch the pilot. It's basically a really good Michael Mann movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HmuFuRPv6o

I mentioned it before but the movie looks and feels so goddamn amazing. The story has some issues. If rumors are to be believed it was because Jamie Foxx had some demands that screwed up the production so things had to be changed.

The rumors are absolutely true. Foxx is an insane diva

allegedly

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gutcruncher posted:

For all these years I never bothered seeing the Miami Vice movie because why would I wanna see a trashy cash in on an 80s tv show but I didn’t know it was the same dude! I guess I’ll check it out

Yeah it's not a cash-in. Jamie Foxx was like, "Hey Michael, you should do a Miami Vice movie." So they did.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Browsing ShopGoodwill.com for bad art, came across something familiar

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/139653924

You, too, can decorate your home like Plinkett.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I remember a lot of people dismissing 2006 Miami Vice because they thought it would be an obvious comedy like the Starsky and Hutch movie but it's basically a modernized feature length episode of the show. One of its biggest strengths is it doesn't even try to set up an origin story for Crockett and Tubbs, they're already established partners.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

widefault posted:

Browsing ShopGoodwill.com for bad art, came across something familiar

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/139653924

You, too, can decorate your home like Plinkett.

That's a mighty fine Jesus picture

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
What’s the episode where Rich beats the poo poo out of the doll? A grown man beating up a doll will never not be funny.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Nigmaetcetera posted:

What’s the episode where Rich beats the poo poo out of the doll? A grown man beating up a doll will never not be funny.

https://youtu.be/IKdWSYCM8Ug

Driftingmouse
May 26, 2021

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1498439181617532936

Endless Trash!!!!!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Will Alec Baldwin reprise his role?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

General Dog posted:

Will Alec Baldwin reprise his role?

No but the people he murdered might be.

If this movie happened 30 years ago when Burton was still doing good poo poo, I'd be up for this. At this point, I could care less.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

BOOOOOO!!!

*throws trash at screen*

So did the Roman Empire produce nothing but sequels and remakes before their collapse?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

That movie sounds like a Plan B all right!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

poisonpill posted:

The rumors are absolutely true. Foxx is an insane diva

allegedly

Tarantino appeared to be the only dude who could really get through to Foxx:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K8j55V3Lvw

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

BOOOOOO!!!

*throws trash at screen*

So did the Roman Empire produce nothing but sequels and remakes before their collapse?

Kinda, yeah.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Elevated Horror is back

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/rabtvcom/status/1498420183370588164?s=20&t=6lpNGQrlw8iQf-PKK6pH7A

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Ok

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I never really liked Beetlejuice for some reason. Maybe because there really wasn't enough of goth Winona Ryder.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

In fairness, it's impossible for there to ever be enough goth Winona Ryder.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m way too old to know who Young Thug is, sorry.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

rydiafan posted:

In fairness, it's impossible for there to ever be enough goth Winona Ryder.

She's gonna be a normal mom and the plot will be about rediscovering her goth side

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

priznat posted:

You might remember his father, Bob Newhart.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

priznat posted:

All you need to know about Young Thug you can learn from this music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9L3j-lVLwk

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I don't think you have to know who young thug is for it to be funny that he thinks family guy should have two peters for twice the hilarity

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
hell, why not three

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

All you need to know about Young Thug you can learn from this music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9L3j-lVLwk

Lol that is amazing

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Lister posted:

she did those mystery books under a pen name, right? Those weren't a big hit but I don't know how good they were

They are ok. Though ive stopped reading them because shes a loving terf.

Edit: my memory of the miami vice movie is that it was both visually incredibly striking with a very distinct mood and also boring as goddamn hell.

Minus some memory of a car and a sniper? Its all fuzzy. I remember the boredom though and the shock that something could be pretty AND loving boring

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 1, 2022

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

She's gonna be a normal mom and the plot will be about rediscovering her goth side

so its Drop Dead Fred, ok

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

X JAKK posted:

so its Drop Dead Fred, ok

Oh god… the sequel is going to be like the cartoon, where Lydia and Beetlejuice are friends, and he’s a good guy. :cripes:

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Miami Vice came out back when I was still working in theaters and I can tell you that while the gun fights did sound amazing and real, the same could not be said for like 60% of the dialog. I just could not understand what people were saying in most scenes. I'd check again and again as it moved between 4 or 5 different screening rooms throughout the weeks it was showing, and in each room it was the same thing.

I'd take my breaks in there, napping in the back rows, because the some of the music was rad and the dialog was that perfect level of sleep inducing, nigh-unintelligble warbling.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Oh god… the sequel is going to be like the cartoon, where Lydia and Beetlejuice are friends, and he’s a good guy. :cripes:

Girljuice was kinda cute. :grin:

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

X JAKK posted:

Girljuice was kinda cute. :grin:

looks live the chav girl on little britain

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/MattGoldberg/status/1498459164980436994

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AO2Faz7phk

ZeusCannon posted:

Edit: my memory of the miami vice movie is that it was both visually incredibly striking with a very distinct mood and also boring as goddamn hell.

Minus some memory of a car and a sniper? Its all fuzzy. I remember the boredom though and the shock that something could be pretty AND loving boring

Roumba posted:

Miami Vice came out back when I was still working in theaters and I can tell you that while the gun fights did sound amazing and real, the same could not be said for like 60% of the dialog. I just could not understand what people were saying in most scenes. I'd check again and again as it moved between 4 or 5 different screening rooms throughout the weeks it was showing, and in each room it was the same thing.
The movie is indeed kinda boring and surprisingly subdued for most of it, but when the climax kicks in it fires on all cylinders. It suffers from not having a big action scene in the middle like the bank robbery in HEAT. It's similar to BLACKHAT where there's just a lot of slow burn plot without much happening in the middle until Hacker Thor rams a car off a parking garage and then it's great.

Subtitles help a lot with the dialogue.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The hostage rescue scene in Miami Vice movie was pretty great too.

The car sniper scene had some CG that aged pretty badly though.

The sound and music are both fantastic too. The dialogue is usually pretty muted in Mann films though, but unlike Nolan movies with a complicated stupid plot it doesn't really matter that much. The plots aren't very complex in Mann flicks, you get the gist of what's going on. I bet they translate abroad really well!