Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Some Guy TT posted:

fondly remembering that time hollywood thought julia childs life was too boring to be a biopic on its own so half the movie is about this incredibly annoying blogger in the modern day

I’m pet sure it’s because the blogger was an actual person who actually did the whole follow-along-blogging-recipes thing, and was the person pushing for the movie to get made lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Some Guy TT posted:

fondly remembering that time hollywood thought julia childs life was too boring to be a biopic on its own so half the movie is about this incredibly annoying blogger in the modern day

Same thing with that garbage-rear end mister Rogers movie

Death to hollywood imo

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

This is too on-the-nose:
https://twitter.com/angryasianman/status/1497429898125721600?s=20&t=XucuNnh4IGY-z2J_S84hiA

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

people talk about movies not being horny anymore but i remember watching that a year or two ago and there's like 5 or 6 sex scenes!! or like the characters are going to gently caress and then it cuts away. extremely horny movie

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The art in that book looks nice, tbh.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

drat horror queefs posted:

Same thing with that garbage-rear end mister Rogers movie

Death to hollywood imo

at least the eyes of tammy faye went for it

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Between Julia and Julia and the Devil's Wears Prada, like the arc type "millennial" Character was formed.

Edit: Men in black made that much loving money?
Holy poo poo. Had a real no duh movement. Men in Black was a pro border control film, that even started with a Mexican caravans carrying illegal Mexicans across state lines.
Now slide with me. Now slide with me. .....Wild wild west.

Kind of. It's pretty clear that stopping actual border crossers is considered stupid and irrelevant, but half the job of the MiB seems to be enforcing border rules on literal aliens so it kinda evens out.

And then there's the sequels...

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Some Guy TT posted:

I like how at the end of the movie the narrator mentions that Julia Childs thought she was a pos riding on her coattails and made it clear that she wouldn't help the blogger before dying

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

men in black explicitly states that humans are low energy losers in intergalactic politics who are only really useful to the extent that theyre a neutral zone for the actual power players so its not quite an american border control analogy of playing from strength i think

bear in mind this is mostly forgotten by the third movie where the villain has a huge petty grudge against earth a very big difference from the first one where earth itself is only in danger because peacekeeping aliens are prepared to blow the planet up to prevent the bad guy from escaping with the macguffin

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

lmao imagine having to pay for school lunch

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
imagine living somewhere the schools were well enough funded to even offer lunch

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

men in black explicitly states that humans are low energy losers in intergalactic politics who are only really useful to the extent that theyre a neutral zone for the actual power players so its not quite an american border control analogy of playing from strength i think

bear in mind this is mostly forgotten by the third movie where the villain has a huge petty grudge against earth a very big difference from the first one where earth itself is only in danger because peacekeeping aliens are prepared to blow the planet up to prevent the bad guy from escaping with the macguffin

is there an MIB about how there’s a race of aliens who claim to have lived on earth first and thus deserve it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I remember how it was a thing for Hong Kong dissidents, Thai dissidents, South Korean dissidents, and their supporters in Japan and Taiwan and the Asian-American diaspora to start collectively referring to themselves as the "Boba tea alliance"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

is there an MIB about how there’s a race of aliens who claim to have lived on earth first and thus deserve it?

Yeah it's called reality.

(I think that may be the plot of the x-files)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

indigi posted:

imagine living somewhere the schools were well enough funded to even offer lunch

I can heartily recommend it. Normally I'd say it's bizarre that a country wouldn't offer kids free lunch at school, but we all know america is a finely tuned machine for extracting wealth from the poor and siphoning it to arms dealers

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

McCloud posted:

I can heartily recommend it. Normally I'd say it's bizarre that a country wouldn't offer kids free lunch at school, but we all know america is a finely tuned machine for extracting wealth from the poor and siphoning it to arms dealers

it's things like this which make me question why liberalism is such a widespread and popular ideology in the US

imagining hitler against school lunches is a ludicrous idea but it's taken for granted that most governors are for shutting programs like this down

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I remember how it was a thing for Hong Kong dissidents, Thai dissidents, South Korean dissidents, and their supporters in Japan and Taiwan and the Asian-American diaspora to start collectively referring to themselves as the "Boba tea alliance"

BoPoMoFo are the first four letters of the chinese and Taiwanese phonetic alphabets and I think a great name for a tea shop in the USA. people say "do you know bopomofo?" like "do you know your ABC's?"

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's on the nose because "boba liberal" has become a pejorative term by some Asian diaspora leftists for East Asian American liberals.

But yeah, it's a famous bubble tea shop that has a good reputation.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Fleetwood posted:

I was just thinking it would have been cool if the financiers on Ridley Scott's Legend didn't get cold feet at the last minute and let him make the freaky fantasy movie that he had in mind

yeah, but even with it so obviously incomplete/unfinished it's still really great for the genre

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So Righteous Gemstones just ended.

Eric Roberts played a great red herring and Eric Andre is an incredible incompetent shithead.

It was a great plot device seeing the Gemstones pitted against the Lissons, where Eli realizes that while his children are failsons, he can at least rely on their respect and love, while the Lissons weren't competent enough to be trusted with a cup of coffee.

Who knew that giving guns to troubled orphan kids would be a horrible idea.

I hope Walton Goggins signs on for more seasons. I need more Baby Billy in my life. The redemption arc of him owning up to being a dad may mean his time is over on the show tho.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

McCloud posted:

lmao imagine having to pay for school lunch

at the school my wife works at, they have one of those pre-deposit systems where parents/staff fill an account with SodexhoBux and you pay for your lunches out of your SodexhoBux and mysteriously accounts just have all their SodexhoBux disappear sometimes

It happened to my wife like 3 times in 3 months

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Forceholy posted:

So Righteous Gemstones just ended.

Eric Roberts played a great red herring and Eric Andre is an incredible incompetent shithead.

It was a great plot device seeing the Gemstones pitted against the Lissons, where Eli realizes that while his children are failsons, he can at least rely on their respect and love, while the Lissons weren't competent enough to be trusted with a cup of coffee.

Who knew that giving guns to troubled orphan kids would be a horrible idea.

I hope Walton Goggins signs on for more seasons. I need more Baby Billy in my life. The redemption arc of him owning up to being a dad may mean his time is over on the show tho.

This season's ending was so good.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Toilet Baby!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
did they ever give an explanation for where Martin came from besides "he just showed up one day as the new accountant"?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

did they ever give an explanation for where Martin came from besides "he just showed up one day as the new accountant"?

Do they really need to? He does well as Eli's right hand cleaner type. It's enough that he knows where the bodies are buried.

E: Eli really did cut himself manscaping. All my man wanted is some GILFs, man.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1498478165362200581

i am oddly comforted that this news story is the first ive ever heard of this movie existing

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
very principled stand, not releasing a movie where they can’t get money for it

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1498478165362200581

i am oddly comforted that this news story is the first ive ever heard of this movie existing

disney is burying the movie for some reason, either cause it's pixar or it has an asian lead or something

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's because it's too woke and the characters aren't attractive enough. :aatrek:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
do you think they ever had a meeting at Pixar about their thicc moms and what to do about it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

They raised the slider so all the mass in the rear end is shifted to the face.

e: actually looked into the Turning Red thing. Looks like Disney dumped it on Disney+ because they wanted a big ticket Pixar exclusive to draw people towards buying + accounts. They're not doing so hot in the streaming wars, and a theatrical release would draw people to spend money at theaters instead. They probably also don't have to pay a lot of people as much this way.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Mar 1, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They're not doing so hot in the streaming wars

is this because they have no original programming besides marvel and star wars? all the other streaming services have a variety of new and original series and movies, Disney hasn’t done poo poo but coast on IP built decades before they came along

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

indigi posted:

is this because they have no original programming besides marvel and star wars? all the other streaming services have a variety of new and original series and movies, Disney hasn’t done poo poo but coast on IP built decades before they came along

Yeah, probably. I mean they have a massive media library, but without any great streaming exclusives it's not much of a draw. The only thing I really wanted to see of theirs was the Star Wars animetrix.

Netflix has produced some real stinkers, but they were popular ones. They've also done a really good job of localizing great foreign media. Midnight Mass at least is one of the greatest tv programs ever made, IMO, so it's a real diamond in the rough.

Amazon Prime is a pain to use, but they do have The Boys and Invincible, along with a lot of real deal blockbusters in the library.

Ultimately the main draw for Disney+ from people who aren't adult Disney fans or who don't have kids are The Simpsons.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the big attraction on netflix is their huge stable of weird international stuff which paradoxically makes them less visible in english language press since they straight up dont acknowledge that international stuff exists and is popular outside of squid game discourse

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dark is one of the GOAT scifi/horror shows, and gets practically no recognition.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Some Guy TT posted:

the big attraction on netflix is their huge stable of weird international stuff which paradoxically makes them less visible in english language press since they straight up dont acknowledge that international stuff exists and is popular outside of squid game discourse

nah, money heist and we are all dead got some press too

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s just absolutely crazy how ignorant the American media is of the massive popularity of foreign stuff in the country. You’d think there would be hostility at least like there was during the 90’s anime boom.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

oh yeah let me watch a show called money heist

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

indigi posted:

tbh its worth a subscription for access to every Disney/Pixar release (and marvel i guess), and old disney series. Been making my way through Gargoyles.

Apple on the other hand...

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Dark is one of the GOAT scifi/horror shows, and gets practically no recognition.

doesn't help that it defaults to english dub and sounds loving weird

Durf has issued a correction as of 06:24 on Mar 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

galagazombie posted:

It’s just absolutely crazy how ignorant the American media is of the massive popularity of foreign stuff in the country. You’d think there would be hostility at least like there was during the 90’s anime boom.

every few months a mainstream publication does a new piece referring to anime as if its some new mysterious trend from the orient no one has ever heard of before and not something that most people alive today literally grew up with as a formative part of their childhood