Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
hey uuuh how do you actually leave radahn's arena after killing him

e: nvm I figured it out

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kaldaris posted:

I can tell you I got hit with its Weapon Art in PvP and it did like 75% of my HP. But that's PvP. I'm dex/faith and I've toyed around with it at +4 and it felt a bit underwhelming.

Seriously I haven't even seen a red sign down, what gives

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I finally found a Sorcery that you don't start the game with that I would call unambiguously Great.

Night Maiden's Mist, from a sorcery vendor near Sellia. Put out a huge silvery fart cloud that ramps up damage while enemies are in it.

I think this type of spell has been in a lot of past games, but it remains very strong against large and slow moving/stationary enemies or in conjunction with chokepoints.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

RBA Starblade posted:

Seriously I haven't even seen a red sign down, what gives

To be honest, I co-op to help a lot of people and I've probably seen a good two dozen invasions or so. Only like three of which were actually successful. You need to be dirty in Elden Ring to succeed at killing the host, the odds are so stacked against you 95% of the time.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Can you roll through the damage? Can you negate it with bubble flask? Is the damage boostable?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
when you go through the first Four Belfry portal to Crumbling Farum Azula, is it supposed to be a dead end or am I missing something?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Scoss posted:

I finally found a Sorcery that you don't start the game with that I would call unambiguously Great.

Night Maiden's Mist, from a sorcery vendor near Sellia. Put out a huge silvery fart cloud that ramps up damage while enemies are in it.

I think this type of spell has been in a lot of past games, but it remains very strong against large and slow moving/stationary enemies or in conjunction with chokepoints.

I've been sorcing my way through the entire playthrough, sans some melee combat here and there on mooks to save mana (there's a guy that drops a high level halberd at some point, and that thing is wonderful - so much better than the piddly rapier, and even replaced my trusty whip), and a lot of the spells are quite useful, especially once you get the FP to start throwing them around a bit more. I'm currently running with 20 mind and 6 FP flasks, and that's been more than enough for virtually everything.

Gonna spoiler my current spell loadout:

Swift Glintstone Shard: Casts fast, deals with lots of little enemies, super FP efficient. My go-to spell for much of the early-mid game, and still has uses in the later areas
Great Glintstone Shard: Workhorse for non-dodgy enemies that have to die right now and/or tighter spaces. Efficient and lays on damage very quickly
Carian Slicer: Farron Flashsword, but absolutely amazing and tears through almost everything. If I have to melee something and I need it to die, this is what I use. Also doesn't bounce, so very effective on stony enemies
Loretta's Greatbow: Has an absurdly long range (I think about 2x what other sorceries have), equally absurd damage, but a very long charge. Excellent for sniping overworld encounters and cheesing the everloving poo poo out of many bosses/hard enemies
Rock Sling: Stupidly powerful spell (still using the meteor staff) that does physical damage, has great tracking, and staggers enemies. Absolutely a gamechanger. Can't always use it, and it does have problems when the meteors smack into things, but holy poo poo is this my main boss killing spell, and it works decently on dodgier enemies. Amusingly, also has really good range since the rocks don't poof like magic does, and they can still hit things as they fall out of the sky
Glintstone Stars: This spell sucks in terms of FP to damage, but is amazing when it comes to enemies who sidestep. It'll hit with all 3 shots every time and there are enemies in later areas where you will be super glad to have this spell around
Ambush Shard: Shoots an enemy in the back, theoretically bypassing shields. In practice it only works when they're walking towards you, but for the rare situations you need this, it's really helpful.

I also have a rotating free slot that I swap out as needed. Right now I have Terra Magicus in there for the spell power boost when cheesing fights, but I'm tempted to try out some of the other spells I haven't given a fair shake yet.

Even if you don't hover over the spoiler, that's 7 spells that I use on a regular basis, and one floating slot (I have 8 slots total at the moment). There's a lot of great sorcery out there, and many of the spells absolutely wreck the crap out of bosses. It can take a little while to get going, but once you've got the tools you need, you're off to the races.

That all being said, the single biggest thing that makes sorcery work is (location/item spoiler): The meteor staff and rock fling spell located in Caelid south of the mine in a swampy area. This gives you an S scaling staff that is the equivalent of something like +12 or so, and one of the single most powerful spells in the game that I've seen thus far. Had I not found these things early on in my playthrough I would have a much lesser opinion of how sorcery works

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Holy crap there is just so much to Stormveil Castle. It's like 3 or 4 standard Souls areas grafted together.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

IronicDongz posted:

hey uuuh how do you actually leave radahn's arena after killing him

e: nvm I figured it out
ok, so it turns out I didn't 'figure it out' and that catacombs is not the way out, you're supposed to be able to teleport out

dying fixed that bug at least

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

hazardousmouse posted:

Holy poo poo, faith knuckles with a fuckin blade of light art of war? that sound awesome! Has anyone messed around with the cipher pata yet?
I only just hit the requirements to equip it and it seems pretty neat. sad that two-handing it doesn't let you do any powerstance attacks, but it being unblockable seems very helpful, considering every goddamn enemy in this game has a greatshield.

also, it's 0 weight, which means I can equip it as a secondary weapon penalty-free! :D

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Any cool earlyish game hat recommendations?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

the manor is an amazing zone but I straight up don't like being here

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

the manor is an amazing zone but I straight up don't like being here

Yeah, I feel that. Snuck/sprinted my way through 90% of the encounters for very good reason.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Not sure if this has been posted.

I fell off a cliff on Torrent and sort of snagged on the geometry. Immediately opened the map, fast traveled to safety and kept my runes

Edit: edge of the world map cliff

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Willfrey posted:

margit drops an item that increases the slot by one.

You get another one for going back and talking to the fingers lady in roundtable hold after getting your second full power rune.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I feel like I a.m gonna beat the game having missed like 50% of the poo poo that I was supposed to do or wanted to collect.

I dont generally do new game + do I will probly make a new character.

Hell, I already have two and I want to make more!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Can someone point me in the direction of the respec npc? Been kinda scattershot with my levels and would like to be more focused.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Can someone point me in the direction of the respec npc? Been kinda scattershot with my levels and would like to be more focused.

You'll need to beat a Rune Lord, specifically the one in the big lake zone, and you'll need a relatively rare item.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I get spoilering pics, vids and written accounts/surprises during the fight but why do so many of you spoiler just the boss name in posts for a game with no prequels

Unless it's a char you already met or a rematch, the first and last time you'll ever see them is their fight so it's impossible for any of the names to hold any meaning ??

???

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Jesus christ this game is huge. Decided to run my horse behind the first castle to explore and it just keeps going and going.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

RandolphCarter posted:

go to and complete the academy

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Just for anyone with an older system who's still on the fence on buying this: I've got a Ryzen 5 1500X with an RX 480, and the various patch improvements, graphics driver updates, and a couple custom tweaks (setting its graphics to High Performance mode in Windows, the Device Association Root Enumerator thing, and forcing DX11 on Steam, all of which admittedly may or may not be placebo) has made the game completely playable. I'm running at 1600x900 with low/medium settings on everything and I'm still averaging 45-50 FPS, with only very rare dips into <40. The only stutters/lag I'm getting nowadays are from asset streaming, but it otherwise runs silky smooth. It does look a bit fuzzy at times, but I think the excellent art direction more than carries the weight where the technical fidelity is otherwise lacking.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

You'll need to beat a Rune Lord, specifically the one in the big lake zone, and you'll need a relatively rare item.

Haven’t even beat Godrick yet lol

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
If anyone is like me and hates how dodge works based on button release and not button press I've found a way to fix it if using Steam.

First click Controller Configuration on your Elden Ring library page. Then follow the images below.

This will still let you sprint but you will dodge first before sprinting so be careful. This basically turns it into Sekiro's sprinting if you've ever played that.

Let me know if this breaks something. I've been using it for awhile and no problems so far.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Haven’t even beat Godrick yet lol

Hey anyone of them can be your first.

If you're that early in the game you cannot possibly have botched your build. Just pick a) what you want to focus on and b) what weapon you want to dump all of your upgrade stones into

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yerok posted:

Any cool earlyish game hat recommendations?

I like the round hats that some of the footsoldiers wear, that's what I've been wearing for awhile. That's probably the earliest game nice hat that you could expect to find organically

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
In order to do a critical hit, does it have to be light attack, or will heavy attack work? I'm not going any on bosses when I stagger them and I'm not sure if I'm just not hitting the right spot or of it's because I'm using the wrong attack.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

If you go to the Painters Shack you will find a path to get a fun hat hehe

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How the gently caress did they put a whole underground massive cavern like holy poo poo it has its own ecosystem.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Red Mundus posted:

If anyone is like me and hates how dodge works based on button release and not button press I've found a way to fix it if using Steam.

First click Controller Configuration on your Elden Ring library page. Then follow the images below.

This will still let you sprint but you will dodge first before sprinting so be careful. This basically turns it into Sekiro's sprinting if you've ever played that.

Let me know if this breaks something. I've been using it for awhile and no problems so far.

This might belong in the OP.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Inzombiac posted:

How the gently caress did they put a whole underground massive cavern like holy poo poo it has its own ecosystem.

My jaw dropped when I saw that place.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cowcaster posted:

just running through the math example here i gave to its end, if the enemy has say 60% physical resist and 60% magic resist:

271 physical damage reduced by 60% = ~108 damage give or take
164 physical damage reduced by 60% = ~66 damage, plus 170 damage reduced by 60%= ~54, equals about 120 damage (still a little bit more overall)

yeah i did a bunch of rounding so sue me

The reason split damage is weak in souls games is because defense isn't just a percent damage reduction. If defense was only percent reduction, split scaling would be just fine.
It's not exactly a flat subtraction either, there's some hosed up piecewise function but BASICALLY defence is more effective against lower damage numbers. Against a high-defense enemy, two separate hits with a 100ar weapon will do less damage than one hit with a 200ar weapon. And for a split-damage weapon that has 100 physical ar and 100 magic ar, it basically counts as two separate hits each time.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I just won a boss fight with zero flasks left and little health because a message got appraised.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Is it known yet what tier of smithing stones are limited and which ones can be farmed or bought in unlimited quantities? I want to gently caress around with so many different weapons but I don't want to spread limited resources thin. Right now all I know is the thing from the crystal cave that lets you buy smithing stones 1 and 2 from the roundtable vendor.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Dirk the Average posted:

That all being said, the single biggest thing that makes sorcery work is (location/item spoiler): The meteor staff and rock fling spell located in Caelid south of the mine in a swampy area. This gives you an S scaling staff that is the equivalent of something like +12 or so, and one of the single most powerful spells in the game that I've seen thus far. Had I not found these things early on in my playthrough I would have a much lesser opinion of how sorcery works

I stumbled onto that item very early on after being spirited away by the fun chest, and I have had that spell for a while, but I have not been respecting it at all. I tested it a bit and immediately put it away when it didn't seem to be outpacing pebble spam, in addition to having a very slow cast and the tracking frequently not working well. I'll give it another shot.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Very late game secret boss spoiler question

Is there any trick to Mohg's bleed lifesteal phase or do you just have to get lucky with flask timing?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

J posted:

Is it known yet what tier of smithing stones are limited and which ones can be farmed or bought in unlimited quantities? I want to gently caress around with so many different weapons but I don't want to spread limited resources thin. Right now all I know is the thing from the crystal cave that lets you buy smithing stones 1 and 2 from the roundtable vendor.

In every previous game you've eventually been able to get infinite upgrade mats for every enhancement level but the last one (+25 for normal weapons or +10 for somber-stone weapons and spirits)

Scoss posted:

I stumbled onto that item very early on after being spirited away by the fun chest, and I have had that spell for a while, but I have not been respecting it at all. I tested it a bit and immediately put it away when it didn't seem to be outpacing pebble spam, in addition to having a very slow cast and the tracking frequently not working well. I'll give it another shot.

That spell does a ton of stance/posture damage too so you can get a bunch of critical hits in against bosses. But the cast time is pretty slow so in a lot of boss fights you can't safely use it.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 1, 2022

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Scoss posted:

It's not FP efficient, and really isn't what you use to clear areas. It's your kill button against the big enemies and does absolute wonders against bosses.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

I just won a boss fight with zero flasks left and little health because a message got appraised.

congrats, you should celebrate

Try rolling,
grass

my most successful message is at a random crystal 'bud' plant^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Scoss posted:

A really important thing about that spell is it counts as physical damage. No idea how one would beat the second phase of the main academy boss as an a non hybrid caster without it.