Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Completed the Titanic!

What an amazing model. The build was very interesting, if extremely long. And it fits perfectly on the mantle.

It looks like it was made for that spot.

The white-bordered Jack looks like an afterthought, though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That flag is so lovely it's funny.
Like the whole build looks great and detailed but then I'm laughing at the flag.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Anyone else played Minecraft Dungeons? I got it a few days ago and I absolutely love the Tower Keeper. Here's an attempt to make him:

Edit: Here are instructions:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-103772/mattking4/minecraft-dungeons-tower-keeper/#details

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 1, 2022

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

MaliciousOnion posted:

It looks like it was made for that spot.

The white-bordered Jack looks like an afterthought, though :(

I have James Cameron poisoning, when you mentioned the Jack in the prow of the Titanic I looked for a minifig.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I could use some help with a build.

I've been mucking around with a 4th speeder and I'm having problems. The whole thing is a giant snot build (which I am kinda proud of) but the most stable option is stressing the pieces and I'm not sure why. I've got a few pieces sandwiched in between two 1x2x1 2/3 pieces which are both attached to a 2x6 plate. If the snot bricks are facing the same way there is no stress but if they are facing opposite directions there's a slight but noticeable bend. Studio isn't showing any issues but it is definitely showing up in practice.

Here is essentially what the relevant section looks like (the brackets are 1x2x2 on the actual thing). The top is what works, the bottom is what I would prefer.

Am I just running into tolerance issues?

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 1, 2022

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Well I tried to submit my 5 mini-modulars as a 10th anniversary set to Lego Ideas and was rejected, apparently because they consider Mini Modulars to be a discontinued theme.

Submit them again and call them Less-than-macro Modulars

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Don't have a good spot to take photos at the moment but I've got some renders.

Pretty happy with how it turned out. I really wanted to use the dark azure wheel arches and that left me with some challenges for the rest of the build since we don't have many pieces in that colour. It's almost entirely snot; the top and core of the back section are the only things build the right way up. It'd be a lot stronger if I could sort out the issues I mentioned above, or if I rebuild a bunch of the snot stuff inside.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Don't have a good spot to take photos at the moment but I've got some renders.

Pretty happy with how it turned out. I really wanted to use the dark azure wheel arches and that left me with some challenges for the rest of the build since we don't have many pieces in that colour. It's almost entirely snot; the top and core of the back section are the only things build the right way up. It'd be a lot stronger if I could sort out the issues I mentioned above, or if I rebuild a bunch of the snot stuff inside.

This looks pretty cool!
But as someone who's only played a lot of pokemon I'm getting a strong Grubbin vibe here.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'd toss some orange in there to complement

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I'd toss some orange in there to complement

I'll give it a go. Might make up for the relatively small amount of azure I could use (though there's a bit more visible from below).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Marvel battle pack:

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-ma...7K26FVYPr8ko2vQ

Battlesuit Miek?? Yes please.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Bah, the one thing the leaks got wrong is there's no GWP for the Real Madrid set like Barcelona got. Guess I'm gonna wait a couple weeks for double points.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wish I had realized there was a GWP starting on March 3 before I ordered the March 1 sets.

https://ramblingbrick.com/2022/03/02/40530-jane-goodall-tribute-gift-with-purchase-hands-on-review/

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

smackfu posted:

Wish I had realized there was a GWP starting on March 3 before I ordered the March 1 sets.

https://ramblingbrick.com/2022/03/02/40530-jane-goodall-tribute-gift-with-purchase-hands-on-review/

Cool, hopefully the vespa + countach will be enough to cover this... or ill have to throw in red 5 helmet.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ElwoodCuse posted:

Bah, the one thing the leaks got wrong is there's no GWP for the Real Madrid set like Barcelona got. Guess I'm gonna wait a couple weeks for double points.

Speaking of VIP, does that go live midnight EST? Want to make sure I have it ready to go to order the modular.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I could use some help with a build.

I've been mucking around with a 4th speeder and I'm having problems. The whole thing is a giant snot build (which I am kinda proud of) but the most stable option is stressing the pieces and I'm not sure why. I've got a few pieces sandwiched in between two 1x2x1 2/3 pieces which are both attached to a 2x6 plate. If the snot bricks are facing the same way there is no stress but if they are facing opposite directions there's a slight but noticeable bend. Studio isn't showing any issues but it is definitely showing up in practice.

Here is essentially what the relevant section looks like (the brackets are 1x2x2 on the actual thing). The top is what works, the bottom is what I would prefer.

Am I just running into tolerance issues?

can you take the blue tile, or the vent tile, out and stick a radar dish all up into the antistud side of the styrated cylinder?

e: actually I guess you could put it one the stud side too

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 2, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pour some studs on me
(come on, build me up)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Hello 1980s boys’ bedrooms

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

LEGO also released a new LEGO House set yesterday:

quote:

LEGO House proudly introduces “Dagny Holm – Master Builder” (40503) as a tribute to the very first Master Builder in the LEGO Group. We are excited to present another iconic part of the LEGO history.

Dagny Holm was the first LEGO Master Builder, and she made a massive impact on model designing with her way of working with LEGO bricks in a cubistic and realistic way and her legacy can still be found in many areas within the LEGO Group.

- Dagny Holm was the first Master Builder in the LEGO Group.
- She was born on May 18, 1916 and started as an intern in 1936.
- She was a niece to the LEGO founder, Ole Kirk Kristiansen.
- For 25 years she lived in Copenhagen, where she was educated in Classical Sculpture Design.
- In 1961 she returned to Billund as a LEGO model builder.
- She was responsible for all LEGO model designs of the LEGOLAND Park in Billund when it opened in 1968.
- In 1967 she was asked to design a LEGO train for the Tivoli amusement park in Copenhagen, later to be installed in LEGOLAND Billund.
- She retired as the LEGO Group’s Chief Designer in 1986 at the age of 70.

https://legohouse.com/en-gb/press-releases/dagny-holm-master-builder/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My Gradius Vic Viper build might not be getting a ton of votes on Lego Ideas, I never expected it to anyways. But posting it there somehow pushed my build to be the first result on GIS if you google "Lego Vic Viper" which sort of swells me with pride considering it's sort of an established sub-genre of MOC building. it used to be the green one from Gradius 2 someone else did, which is frankly better than mine but I'll take the visibility anyways lol.

Although it's a bummer that Lego made me edit a bunch of stuff out of the images that made them cool before letting me post it, so it's not even the pictures I liked but whatever.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

HootTheOwl posted:

Pour some studs on me
(come on, build me up)

WHOAH
YEAH
BRICK START MY HEART, GIVE IT A START

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/legodoumoko/status/1499371270802055172
Love it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

quote:

Love it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't not see it as someone bolted Bender's head to a duck's rear end.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

So now there's butthole tiger AND duck?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Can't not see it as someone bolted Bender's head to a duck's rear end.
Bite my shiny metal duck!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'd heard ducks dicks were screw shaped but this is not what I was expecting

(I love it oh my god that waddle)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I like the snowboards as the bill. I had seen Lego snowboards before but had no idea until two days ago that they had licensed Gravity Games Lego sets in like 2003. Saw someone listed the big air jump and boardercross course and immediately bought it. Gonna have to find a way to integrate that into our winter village this year. Which when I think about it is kind of silly because if I end up customizing it I'll probably just buy the relevant pieces for pennies off bricklink.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

This is what bionicle should have been.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I knot there are some lego car goons itt
https://twitter.com/Rebrickable/status/1499594240812269569
I especially like the engine.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Heh, I was on the fence about buying the Creator Porsche 911 and the Mustang. The Firas MOC instructions for the alternative Countach is what tipped me over to the 911.

Actually, I don't know how much the cost of designing a model is but it would be really cool if the Creator Expert sets were 2 in 1. I don't feel like the Turbo/Targa versions really count.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Me and the young one just put together the Friends RV/boat/picnic area set and it is cool as f. Little dude loves the play features and it just looks like a freaking awesome little model.

Why is this Friends stuff so awesome??

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Heh, I was on the fence about buying the Creator Porsche 911 and the Mustang. The Firas MOC instructions for the alternative Countach is what tipped me over to the 911.

Actually, I don't know how much the cost of designing a model is but it would be really cool if the Creator Expert sets were 2 in 1. I don't feel like the Turbo/Targa versions really count.

I wonder what the process is for that. I assume that they have someone build the main model, finalize the part list and instructions and then give the pieces to someone else and have them build something new. But there is also the licensed set aspect. They get the Porsche branding or the Ford branding for the main set, what do they do for a potential second build? They can't exactly license another brand for the inferior set, and the main brand might not be happy that their set is also some other generic thing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The main model of the 3-1 always uses all the pieces, right? Do the other ones use all the pieces?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

smackfu posted:

The main model of the 3-1 always uses all the pieces, right? Do the other ones use all the pieces?

Not always, and no.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I grabbed the mercades 2 pack even though I don't know what I'm gonna do with it, just because the few Speed Champion sets I have have been such fun little builds with cool parts usage. Loved the Lambo and the ferrrari from last year. What a great deal too. Almost 600 parts for $30.

I've only put the F1 car together and man, first off it looks great, but that build is finicky as hell and I kind of can't believe that set is 9+. Usually those speed champions sets take me like 45 minutes to put together but this took me over an hour and a half cause its such a weird build and that car alone has almost 30 stickers. It's also got some areas held on by a single stud and it's super easy to knock parts off. It's neat as something to put on the shelf but I can't imagine a nine year old having much fun building or playing with it. Many of the "18+" sets I have put together are much easier and straight forward. Although I think the age recs are really more of a marketing thing than anything actually representative of the build.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder what the process is for that. I assume that they have someone build the main model, finalize the part list and instructions and then give the pieces to someone else and have them build something new. But there is also the licensed set aspect. They get the Porsche branding or the Ford branding for the main set, what do they do for a potential second build? They can't exactly license another brand for the inferior set, and the main brand might not be happy that their set is also some other generic thing.

I've always imagined the same designer makes the alternative builds, easier to build something new when you're already familiar with the parts. Good point about licensing, I didn't think of that. That really limits what you can do, which I guess is the big downside of building brands. At least some companies have a big enough range of real world stuff. Like the alternative for the Mustang could be a dragster car, the alternative for a Volvo 240 (one day...) could be a truck and so on.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

The alt build for the Mustang should clearly be a robot horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

I grabbed the mercades 2 pack even though I don't know what I'm gonna do with it, just because the few Speed Champion sets I have have been such fun little builds with cool parts usage. Loved the Lambo and the ferrrari from last year. What a great deal too. Almost 600 parts for $30.

I've only put the F1 car together and man, first off it looks great, but that build is finicky as hell and I kind of can't believe that set is 9+. Usually those speed champions sets take me like 45 minutes to put together but this took me over an hour and a half cause its such a weird build and that car alone has almost 30 stickers. It's also got some areas held on by a single stud and it's super easy to knock parts off. It's neat as something to put on the shelf but I can't imagine a nine year old having much fun building or playing with it. Many of the "18+" sets I have put together are much easier and straight forward. Although I think the age recs are really more of a marketing thing than anything actually representative of the build.

I just put that together last night. The only thing I would add is why if #44 is the default build did they not put a black minifig head in the box. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.