Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I saw a sorcery thing that was like a big kamehameha thingy on tiktok that did like 20,000 damage to some giant and the giant pretty much went from sleep, to standing, to dead by the time the animation finished for him to actually stand up.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
After having done a little testing with only around 18-20 faith I definitely want to do a frenzy eye laser run because that thing when charged can do some real damage and poise breaks real good. And it's fairly cheap. Is there a talisman that speeds up charge casting somewhere?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

this game is too weird and good to exist

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Level 28, still can't beat Margit even using a spirit.

Done a lot of exploring in this game and really tried not to rush to this boss but whenever I come back I can barely even get him halfway. I dunno man.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lid posted:

I just won a boss fight with zero flasks left and little health because a message got appraised.

good for you and congrats, I just had this happen lol :cripes:

(Academy end-boss 2nd phase spoilers) https://streamable.com/1ncjp8

*looks to the sky* if I had 1st Lt. Jellyfish at my side this wouldn't have happened...I'm going to bed ...

No one seems to read my posts which is starting to bum me out during these trying times. I think I’m just too annoying......bye

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 1, 2022

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That spell does a ton of stance/posture damage too so you can get a bunch of critical hits in against bosses. But the cast time is pretty slow so in a lot of boss fights you can't safely use it.
carian piercer is also good for this, just outright knocks a bunch of stuff on their rear end when charged

also I think in almost every boss there will be at least some openings for slow stuff, though sometimes it requires weird strafing/spacing shenanigans

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

i can't really make up my mind if i want to

a) take my time with this and avoid critical path/completing the critical path
b) just do it while my interest is high, because i don't know how long it will last

that's the thing with really long games nowadays. once it gets above 40 hours or so i usually think ah gently caress it and just start going for the end. then afterwards i kind of regret it looking at all the stuff i missed - but who knows if i would've just drifted away before finishing the meatiest stuff.

in the past i've gotten about 2/3 through souls/bloodborne/sekiro before drifting away to then return later and really cover it all. i might do the same here, it just feels different because i got this one right away and have binged like 30 hours of this since thursday night.

with any luck i'll hit a wall that pisses me off so much i can't continue and the choice will be made for me.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gotta say that this salamander with a sword boss is a jerk.

I beat it but ugh, what a chore.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I go back and fourth between gasping in awed wonder at the sheer magnificence of the accomplishment that is this game’s world, enemy design, ambience… and just complete loving controller-throwing rage at how bullshit the boss AI can be.

“Hard but fair my loving rear end” I scream as sometimes I can get a boss down to 10% of their health remaining, and sometimes the fight opens with an 8-hit combo of multiple damage types I don’t have the stamina to either block or roll through so it insta-kills me. Just whatever the AI routine randomly feels like doing, ya know.

I suppose I am glad that for the most part there has at least been bonfires basically right next to or like at most, 1 to 2 must-fight enemies from each boss fog door.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 1, 2022

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Oh poo poo, do bloodstains work now

e: eh, maybe not

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
dragonkin takes title of boss whos dick i sliced up the most

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Godrick’s fire attacks are horse poo poo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jumped in a tomb, a little hard but not a big deal.

What's the boss? Oh just a crazy wild man with a greatsword and a perfumer lady and the room is TINY.

I can't even get a spirit out. gently caress.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Just beat the moon witch and maybe it's just my build but she was infinitely easier than the miniboss guarding her.

One shot her at 42, meanwhile the knight guarding her probably killed me 70 times, including 3 game crashes...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

AndrewP posted:

Done a lot of exploring in this game and really tried not to rush to this boss but whenever I come back I can barely even get him halfway. I dunno man.

If you're looking for tips, maybe how I did it as a melee fighter at Level 16 will help:

I identified two moves that Margit had bad recovery on, and only attacked during those times.

The first is the charge up, sword to Margit's left, dashing slice, followed by a second slice; you can dodge roll through both and then get a free jump R2.

The other is the jumping attack. They're different in both phases, but essentially it's the one where Margit jumps in the air and does a stomp down with his weapon. If you do your own jump and time it to land just after Margit lands, you should be able to get at least one free jump R2.

Other times, I only attacked if the Jellyfish (or your preferred summon) distracted him.

He has this at least two different melee combos, which are easy to block/dodge and then counter. Except, in phase 2, he can cancel the recovery of one combo, to launch into the other combo, and as far as I can tell he can do this perpetually if you don't back off. This is the part took me the longest to understand. I'm sure a better player can probably pick a move or two to parry, or find a way to circumvent the "infinite" but I found it best to just let this one go.

He also has two variants on his right arm up, slash down to attack move. One you need to parry instantly, the other you need to wait. Again, I decided to just let this go and block/dodge instead of risk getting it wrong.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Wiltsghost posted:

Some do. I find that group password bloodstains almost always work now, but others only sometimes do.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I had the twin blade but rogerio gave me a +8 rapier that I like a lot. I think I’m gonna use this for now

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

AndrewP posted:

Take advantage of how his aggro works. He goes for whatever hit him last, if it was you he goes after you, if it was your summon he goes after your summon. So let him get plinked by the jellyfish or whatever, wait until he stomps off after it, run in and get a cheap shot before your summon dies. He comes after you next, get away from him until the summon hits him. Repeat until dead

This works much better if you bring in Roger from outside his boss door, then he has to split his attention in another direction in addition to your summon

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
skipping 5000 posts to show off my fit

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
i beat crubible knight by using the elevator - he fell in the hole below

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Artelier posted:

If you're looking for tips, maybe how I did it as a melee fighter at Level 16 will help:

DeathChicken posted:

Take advantage of how his aggro works. He goes for whatever hit him last, if it was you he goes after you, if it was your summon he goes after your summon. So let him get plinked by the jellyfish or whatever, wait until he stomps off after it, run in and get a cheap shot before your summon dies. He comes after you next, get away from him until the summon hits him. Repeat until dead

thanks. I generally have the moves memorized but I still get caught. I need to use my summon better for sure. basically: get good

real talk though, either let the boss fall off the edge like I can or put some walls on this bridge, it's ridiculous to see him bumping up against an invisible wall and then I fall to my death

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I was fighting a dragon, doing well, and then it just ran away and turned invisible lol.

hazardousmouse posted:

Holy poo poo, faith knuckles with a fuckin blade of light art of war? that sound awesome! Has anyone messed around with the cipher pata yet?

So tempted to respec just to get to try it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GreatGreen posted:

I go back and fourth between gasping in awed wonder at the sheer magnificence of the accomplishment that is this game’s world, enemy design, ambience… and just complete loving controller-throwing rage at how bullshit the boss AI can be.

“Hard but fair my loving rear end” I scream as sometimes I can get a boss down to 10% of their health remaining, and sometimes the fight opens with an 8-hit combo of multiple damage types I don’t have the stamina to either block or roll through so it insta-kills me. Just whatever the AI routine randomly feels like doing, ya know.

I suppose I am glad that for the most part there has at least been bonfires basically right next to or like at most, 1 to 2 must-fight enemies from each boss fog door.

usually long combos are best dealt with by just getting away from the boss

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Every character in this game has an accent like they're about to reassure Mister Frodo that everything will be okay and they will carry his burdens to Mount Doom.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Wiltsghost posted:

The only bloodstains that seem to work are ones that are surrounded by like a circular sigil. I also only started noticing these special bloodstains after putting in the LLJK group pass so I'm guessing that we're only able to see how other goons die. The sigil also happens around goon-written messages.

Which is much better honestly; I wish I could turn all the other lovely monkey-cheese ones written by pubbies completely off.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Thanks to whoever suggested the Ancestral Spirit ash. there isn't much that beefy boy cant do, but dear god he loved stomping around Caria garden aggro'ing every giant hand trap and only shooting the tiny ones

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Khanstant posted:

Haha I was fighting a dragon, doing well, and then it just ran away and turned invisible lol.

yeah if he gets too far out of his arena he teleports back to where he spawned. just go back over to him, his health will still be where you left it

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

This is my first souls game and I’m so overwhelmed haha

So many things to learn, the combat, the controls, how to even summon, figuring out how to parry- I JUST figured out you can wield a sword two handed.

Some of the creatures have STOMPED me. I was attacking these lower level “zombie” guys and a loving bear popped up out of nowhere and wrecked me.

Ive managed to beat a couple bosses but gently caress this difficulty is insane. I’m level 17 now, I’ll keep at it.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

The Joe Man posted:

The only bloodstains that seem to work are ones that are surrounded by like a circular sigil. I also only started noticing these special bloodstains after putting in the LLJK group pass so I'm guessing that we're only able to see how other goons die. The sigil also happens around goon-written messages.

Which is much better honestly; I wish I could turn all the other lovely monkey-cheese ones written by pubbies completely off.

i think you're putting goons on a pedestal.

Though I did LOL at Seek hole but Be wary of Dung.

Speaking about that I'm pretty sure one of you guys invaded the O'Neil fight i was helping with last night. any of you invading shirtless with twin scythes? I died like a bitch in a corner while trying to kill summons :(

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

maybe bloodstains arent meant to work?

maybe theyre meant to gently caress with youre mind instead

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Invading is so much fun!!!!!

First invasion: https://youtu.be/ijGIdsNSE80

Second invasion: https://youtu.be/NC2x63FtNGc

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Augus posted:

yeah if he gets too far out of his arena he teleports back to where he spawned. just go back over to him, his health will still be where you left it

There is also a glimstone dragon hanging around a later area who will actually peace out and teleport/poof away when he hits half hp. I haven't yet found where he went off to.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Just hit the worst trapped chest yet - got teleported very very far away, and thought I had to fight this bigass fucker because fast travel was disabled. Finally got the bitch down, turns out I could have left any time by resting at the nearby rest spot. Got some talismans though so it's not nothing.

I like how the biggest and baddest world bosses generally stay dead once you down them. Makes it feel like you're making a difference in this fantasy shithole.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...

MMF Freeway posted:

skipping 5000 posts to show off my fit

Oh poo poo there's a sword version of the inscrutable rune blade?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I found the map for West Liurnia, but can someone tell me if the map for the swamp area of Liurnia is absurdly well-hidden or if I'm just a blind idiot? I swear I've been over the vast majority of it and haven't seen a hint of a map. Don't tell me where it is exactly, I just want to know how stupid I am.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I dig the vibe of not feeling like a hero. You're more like a dark fantasy John McClane, death is imminent, you need to bring every tool to bear and take any advantage you can get.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Darth Nat posted:

I found the map for West Liurnia, but can someone tell me if the map for the swamp area of Liurnia is absurdly well-hidden or if I'm just a blind idiot? I swear I've been over the vast majority of it and haven't seen a hint of a map. Don't tell me where it is exactly, I just want to know how stupid I am.

You can see exactly where the map pickup is, there's an tower-like icon in each unrevealed section of the map that shows where to find it.

e: it looks like this

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Later game area spoiler. Beat rodrick and was heading up to the next area when I ran into patches again. Remembered I never opened that chest in the cave where I first met him, since I figured it was a trap. Well went back and sure enough it teleported me away. Next to a big ol bear. And a big ol tree. Saw a building with an elevator so I took a ride. And it went down and down and down and oh my god where am I why are there stars underground. omg there's a 2nd map???? arrrggh blowing my mind here.

Been trying my best to piece together the lore but I have no idea what to make of this place. Tho I just got here. This game is insane I love it so much

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can see exactly where the map pickup is, there's an tower-like icon in the unrevealed parts of the map.

Ah, neat, I haven't felt this dumb since I saw someone post that the horse can double-jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Khanstant posted:

So tempted to respec just to get to try it.

the cipher pata hits very anemically. i jacked my faith up a whole lot to use them and was super disappointed. ive never really been a fist weapon guy tho.