Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

BrotherJayne posted:

Actually, zero casualties per the news

Can you stop acussig me of apolozing for poo poo?

Wounded are casualties. Every take you've had here has been ghoulish and foolish, if you're not apologizing for poo poo you might want to take a minute to do some self reflection.

It does not matter if there was an Azov Battalion recruiting tent, they launched a missile at an administrative building. There wasn't an Azov Battalion recruiting tent, the evidence there was one is a digital flier posted by an absolutely wildly biased twitter account that is uncritically repeating any pro-Russian information it sees. Even they said there were wounded.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45

dominoeffect posted:

Can you find that social media post they use as proof that this is an azov tent? Because they don't link to it and I'm a bit suspicious.

You don't trust a screenshot that's been cropped to obscure what group it was posted in, who posted it and when it was posted? Next thing you know you'll be talking about inspect element.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

BrotherJayne posted:

You referenced "the only people hit would be civilians" or some such

Interpret it however you must to not feel attacked o7

Jesus loving christ.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

dominoeffect posted:

Can you find that social media post they use as proof that this is an azov tent? Because they don't link to it and I'm a bit suspicious.
It seems to be real, here it is on a Ukrainian site: https://novyny.live/kharkov/v-kharkove-nachinaiut-mobilizatsiiu-uchastnikov-boevykh-deistvii-41251.html

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BrotherJayne posted:

Actually, zero casualties per the news

Can you stop acussig me of apolozing for poo poo?

*Dropping a ballistic missile block buster on top of a busy road full of traffic and the town hall*

Zero casualties! Surgical strike, baby! The libs have been owned!

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Reposting a propaganda account to own the libs

fnox
May 19, 2013

BrotherJayne posted:

gently caress off you loving LARPer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

BrotherJayne posted:

How would "Actually, zero casualties" respond to that at all?

BrotherJayne posted:

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 1, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BrotherJayne posted:

Jesus Christ dude.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I don't remember where I read it, I think a diplomat maybe, said that escalation can be an off-ramp to de-escalation because everyone gets scared and it provides cover for returning to a calmer state. Brinkmanship politics with a purpose I hadn't ever considered. But also batshit crazy.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Also, it hit the building, not the tent.
Ten seconds of search.

https://twitter.com/ConflictsWW/status/1498563930053955585?s=20&t=hoXmMr22yJLPHxn8Ugw77w

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 1, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I feel like the implicit angle here is 'Putin's missile strike was aiming at a tent that might have at some point contained Azovs and was therefore ok and justified,' although from here I don't know where the thread is.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

BrotherJayne posted:

No civilian casualties (or so we hope) by sheer luck. I understand getting defensive but you must realize that "it's totally fine for Russia to shoot missiles at civilian buildings if (through luck rather than any effort on their part) nobody gets hurt" is not a good take.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
I think people are reading a bit too much in to that guy’s posts. From where I’m reading he thought it was an Azov tent and nobody was killed but wasn’t saying it was good it was hit. Maybe he could word it better, but don’t think he was trying to have a pop.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

No civilian casualties (or so we hope) by sheer luck. I understand getting defensive but you must realize that "it's totally fine for Russia to shoot missiles at civilian buildings if (through luck rather than any effort on their part) nobody gets hurt" is not a good take.

Why are you accepting their statement that there were no casualties as if it's true? Even their own source says there were casualties, after initially denying them.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Why are you accepting their statement that there were no casualties as if it's true? Even their own source says there were casualties, after initially denying them.

I'm trying to point out how even the most charitable reading of the incident is still not good. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

bustin keaton posted:

I think people are reading a bit too much in to that guy’s posts. From where I’m reading he thought it was an Azov tent and nobody was killed but wasn’t saying it was good it was hit. Maybe he could word it better, but don’t think he was trying to have a pop.

Respectfully disagree, this is the perfect way to spread misinformation. Isn't there a rule for this thread to at least try to post from reputable accounts and if not then do some light background investigation before posting wild claims like that?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

bustin keaton posted:

Indeed I was not, just infodumping crap I was seeing on Twitter adjacent to the occurrence.

There is no excuse for the flagrant violation of sovereignty involved in the entire loving invasion, in my opinion, and it was a drat strange place for a missile strike.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

BrotherJayne posted:

Indeed I was not, just infodumping crap I was seeing on Twitter adjacent to the occurrence.

There is no excuse for the flagrant violation of sovereignty involved in the entire loving invasion, in my opinion, and it was a drat strange place for a missile strike.

It's perfectly natural if your goal is to sow terror and crush a country's civil institutions.

Nice red text, btw.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

dominoeffect posted:

Respectfully disagree, this is the perfect way to spread misinformation. Isn't there a rule for this thread to at least try to post from reputable accounts and if not then do some light background investigation before posting wild claims like that?

You've got to be kidding, half the media posts in here are refuted inside of 6 hours, a trend that seems to hold true on all other platform as well

I will cease posting cuz getting people riled sucks, but that sure as heck wasn't my intent.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

HolHorsejob posted:

It's perfectly natural if your goal is to sow terror and crush a country's civil institutions.

Nice red text, btw.

Ooo nice, that's a first!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

please stop filling the thread with putinist propaganda and making excuses for posting it, this is one of the best places on the internet to keep on top of things and your posting is making GBS threads the place up

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

Might have a lot more to do with your feed. I'm looking at a dozen OSI posts on this and none mention Azov. Plenty mention that it's a standing anti Putin protest, not that it hit the tent at all. It hit the building from the top as seen in the vids above.

The tent is still there.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

That red car that was RIGHT at the center of the explosion is gone - so I guess it wasn't disabled and the occupant probably just drove off? That is surprising that such a huge explosion just shattered glass and didn't even seem to kill someone driving a like, 1980s Lada at the epicenter?

/insert Lada joke?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/StimsonCenter/status/1498368715909435395

FWIW, I read Tang Shiping's analysis <乌克兰,一种解决方案> and it's... let's say, implausible (argues that the US promotes intra-European tensions rather than letting Europe (summarised as France and Germany) be 'naturally' dominated by the largest, more powerful nation of Russia to produce a larger global power, in order to undermine Europe as a peer competitor; advocates Vietnam (the most heavily armed Southeast Asian state) balancing American and Chinese interests as a future model for Ukraine without once mentioning contemporary revulsion at Finlandization, not cognizant that the EU membership would not be acceptable for Russia either). Still, interesting as a view into a really different discourse.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BrotherJayne posted:

You've got to be kidding, half the media posts in here are refuted inside of 6 hours, a trend that seems to hold true on all other platform as well

I will cease posting cuz getting people riled sucks, but that sure as heck wasn't my intent.

Hey, if you can't actually read Russian, then maybe don't fling Russian propaganda hot takes around doing some "just asking questions" bullshit. We have a lot of actual Eastern Europeans and native Russian speakers in here, comparatively speaking, so perhaps you could consider just lurking and maybe learning something.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

dominoeffect posted:

I wasn't sure if troll was the right word, but some of their posts crossed into trolling territory for me. Maybe I should just leave it at pro-russian

oh yeah, not substantively disagreeing there, just adding a bit onto that

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Professor Beetus posted:

Hey, if you can't actually read Russian, then maybe don't fling Russian propaganda hot takes around doing some "just asking questions" bullshit. We have a lot of actual Eastern Europeans and native Russian speakers in here, comparatively speaking, so perhaps you could consider just lurking and maybe learning something.

I hadn't seen it posted here and it would indeed be cool if it was confirmed with a translation one way or the other.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

This does appear to be a Ukranian newspaper talking about Azov recruiting at the State Administration building at 10. According to Google Translate it's at the building and doesn't mention the tent (anyone able to verify that translation) and either way in no way excuses shooting the building with a missile at 8, even if the Russians did know that in advance and weren't heavily bombarding the city.

Azov is also bad.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

BrotherJayne posted:

I hadn't seen it posted here and it would indeed be cool if it was confirmed with a translation one way or the other.

You realize it would not make of goddamn bit of difference whether it was or wasn't, right?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/YWNReporter/status/1498469970648387588

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BrotherJayne posted:

I'm still curious what your original point was. War crimes are okay as long as they sometimes hit bad people? I'm not trying to trip you up so I can slam the probe button, your posts have been really ambiguous and I frankly can't tell what you're trying to say.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

ronya posted:

FWIW, I read Tang Shiping's analysis <乌克兰,一种解决方案> and it's... let's say, implausible (argues that the US promotes intra-European tensions rather than letting Europe (summarised as France and Germany) be 'naturally' dominated by the largest, more powerful nation of Russia to produce a larger global power, in order to undermine Europe as a peer competitor; advocates Vietnam (the most heavily armed Southeast Asian state) balancing American and Chinese interests as a future model for Ukraine without once mentioning contemporary revulsion at Finlandization, not cognizant that the EU membership would not be acceptable for Russia either). Still, interesting as a view into a really different discourse.

lol I know insanely little about European politics and even I know that the idea that the US is promoting conflict in Europe because otherwise Russia would dominate Germany and France and create a European Super-bloc to challenge the US is nonsense. Aside from the inherent silliness of this proposition, do they not think the UK, or Turkey, or Poland might have some feelings or influence in this supposed Russo-Hegemonic European Consensus based on their geography/relative wealth/relative militarization within the Eurosphere? Hell, SPAIN has a bigger economy than Russia does, maybe they'll dominate France and Germany first.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Professor Beetus posted:

I'm still curious what your original point was. War crimes are okay as long as they sometimes hit bad people? I'm not trying to trip you up so I can slam the probe button, your posts have been really ambiguous and I frankly can't tell what you're trying to say.

I 100% am not saying poo poo, and consider warcrimes are inexcusable. I'm rubbernecking a massive conflict that seems unreal, and posted something that seemed particularly bizarre.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BrotherJayne posted:

I 100% am not saying poo poo, and consider warcrimes are inexcusable. I'm rubbernecking a massive conflict that seems unreal, and posted something that seemed particularly bizarre.

Literally the first thing you posted on the matter:

BrotherJayne posted:

Looks like they targetted the Azov recruiting station

Use your six hours of probe on lurking more and listening to people who might actually have a clue as to what they're talking about; it's one of the best things about DND when less people are drive-by shitposting.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Sanguinia posted:

lol I know insanely little about European politics and even I know that the idea that the US is promoting conflict in Europe because otherwise Russia would dominate Germany and France and create a European Super-bloc to challenge the US is nonsense. Aside from the inherent silliness of this proposition, do they not think the UK, or Turkey, or Poland might have some feelings or influence in this supposed Russo-Hegemonic European Consensus based on their geography/relative wealth/relative militarization within the Eurosphere? Hell, SPAIN has a bigger economy than Russia does, maybe they'll dominate France and Germany first.

I mean, it's a Chinese intellectual at Fudan U laying out a Chinese view of the world. It perhaps says more about how China interprets its natural/deserved place in East/Southeast Asia than anything else.

quote:

也许乌克兰会明智地从越南与中国的经验中吸取教训。越南曾一千年来与中国作战(与法国和美国也曾短暂作战),并在1975年至1989年间与苏联结盟对抗中国,但越南仍不情愿地承认。无论其外部盟友有多强大,它都无力与中国对抗。因此,在过去20年左右的时间里,越南一直试图在中国和其他外部大国(即美国)之间达成微妙的“中间立场”,但没有宣布中立。越南领导人明白,外交的艺术不是在地理限制范围内寻找情感上的满意,而是寻找理性上的可能。

quote:

Perhaps Ukraine would be wise to learn from the experience of Vietnam and China. Vietnam has fought China for a thousand years (and briefly with France and the United States) and allied itself with the Soviet Union against China from 1975 to 1989, but Vietnam is still reluctant to admit it. No matter how powerful its external allies are, it is powerless to confront China. So for the past 20 years or so, Vietnam has been trying to strike a delicate "middle ground" between China and other external powers (i.e. the US), but has not declared neutrality. Vietnamese leaders understand that the art of diplomacy is not the search for emotional satisfaction within geographic constraints, but the search for rational possibility.

"the art of bowing to the East without mooning the West"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sanguinia posted:

This is especially funny because a lot of what has informed the European political scene has involved Germany's last effort to naturally form a predominant hegemonic power in Europe, a power which reached as far as into parts of Russia and Ukraine, to say nothing of France, Poland, etc.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

ronya posted:

This is some dirt simple stuff, but I will posit strongly that the main intelligence failure was that a ton of people (and this goes as much outside of china as for chinese intel) just called up the best connected russians that they knew (eg people who normally very much did have the inside scoop about what Russia was about to do) and were given the same lines of bullshit that were going around among very well-connected russians. Eg 'putin is a pragmatist, no way he would be stupid enough to start a groundwar in ukraine. He's just going to bluff it to make the west squirm because he can, but he's definitely not actually that stupid.'

Extremely well connected Russians were caught off guard when Putin did his press conferences announcing hostilities.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

This is some dirt simple stuff, but I will posit strongly that the main intelligence failure was that a ton of people (and this goes as much outside of china as for chinese intel) just called up the best connected russians that they knew (eg people who normally very much did have the inside scoop about what Russia was about to do) and were given the same lines of bullshit that were going around among very well-connected russians. Eg 'putin is a pragmatist, no way he would be stupid enough to start a groundwar in ukraine. He's just going to bluff it to make the west squirm because he can, but he's definitely not actually that stupid.'

Extremely well connected Russians were caught off guard when Putin did his press conferences announcing hostilities.

Hopefully the "administrators" who were kept in the dark go hostile instead of covering down, especially since the Georgian blitzkrieg is not happening and there wont be a clean exit out of this. They are scum but I'd take anything over a military-first, agony-driven decisionmaking going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Just remember losses doesnt mean death or destroyed.
It also mean captured or surrendered.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498574179188330501