Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

Vortex Street posted:

Well if we’re all going to die at least it’s in support of a man with moves like Jagger:

https://twitter.com/abughazalehkat/status/1497768813860896770?s=21

drat this guy can do it all. He's not the hero we deserve, but I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone heard anything further re: Russians using Bears and/or Blackjacks to take out arms and supply shipments from nato & western countries?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Anyone heard anything further re: Russians using Bears and/or Blackjacks to take out arms and supply shipments from nato & western countries?

Haven't even heard of it happening at all.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was watching India Today for some reason just now, It’s kind of a guilty pleasure, is reporting that Russian artillery hit a Ukrainian military base and killed at least 70 Ukrainian military.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I was wondering about that too, like all those trucks coming in from Poland. Who's driving those? Would assume that it would be Ukrainians as those would clearly be valid targets for Russia (as much as anything is in their war of aggression) but seems unlikely NATO would be driving them.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I was wondering about that too, like all those trucks coming in from Poland. Who's driving those? Would assume that it would be Ukrainians as those would clearly be valid targets for Russia (as much as anything is in their war of aggression) but seems unlikely NATO would be driving them.

Contractors perhaps.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Haven't even heard of it happening at all.

Seeing a pretty steady stream of tweets along these lines:

https://twitter.com/vpnewsodia/status/1498110929099051008
https://twitter.com/LKNFTFLIP/status/1498068432935399428

I realize that they're probably cruise missile platforms, but couldn't they theoretically be kitted out for carpet bombing supply convoys that are being trucked into Ukraine from the Polish border? If you have even a few miles of backed up traffic all loaded up with ATGMs and ammo, that would be unpleasant.

This is just pure speculation on my part.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Thing about planes is it just takes one stinger.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Today I learned that T-72s have a horn, and it sounds adorable

I wonder if it's wired in, or if that is a very conscientious driver.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Oh, the aussies have committed.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/a...75-6919d369230f

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

modern strategic bombers fly a little high for stingers....

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That one is doing flybys low and slow to make that loving sound scare people.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Ok sure, but wouldn't they still be flying way over the ceiling of MANPADs if they were to do a bombing run across the Ukrainain side of the border?

edit:

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1498428447097556995

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
They won't

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wasabi the J posted:

Bears, Backfires, and Blackjacks would be flying above 30,000 feet. Stingers top out around 12,000 and the engagement envelope at that height is very narrow.

You'd need to break out the good SAMs for them.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Ok sure, but wouldn't they still be flying way over the ceiling of MANPADs if they were to do a bombing run across the Ukrainain side of the border?

edit:

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1498428447097556995

Any AF guys wanna weigh in on the loudness of a B52 or B1 at 15-20k feet?

Apparently stingers have about 11.5-12k foot ceiling with five mile range. I've heard that at least during the GWOT B-1's have been used as a sonic shock and awe in some instances, but I am completely ignorant as to any actual capacities.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Generally you wont hear much, about the same you would from a widebody commercial plane. I lived 20 miles from a B-52 base for 6 years and never heard/noticed them unless I was near the base when one was taking off or landing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
How do either compare to a C5 taking off?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Russia is pulling diplomats out of a LOT countries right now, even though airspace over most of Europe is strictly verboten for Russian planes as of now, it seems a few are being allowed in to retrieve embassy staff.

https://twitter.com/DrBrandonHenry/status/1498522879654346753

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

cult_hero posted:

I've heard that at least during the GWOT B-1's have been used as a sonic shock and awe in some instances, but I am completely ignorant as to any actual capacities.

They did this right over my head at Ghazni and it was the most America gently caress Yeah moment..

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

US estimates put Ukrainian military and civilian casualties at 1500, which seems low.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/01/russia-ukraine-war-putin-news/#link-TJFY6DJWHNGZVFDF44DLV5WDGA

Then again, if the UKA has avoided concentrating its forces and is mostly conducting hit and run ambushes against MSRs without having to face significant Russian air power maybe it's possible.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

cult_hero posted:

modern strategic bombers fly a little high for stingers....

Thats what motivated fighter pilots are for.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sentinel posted:

Thats what motivated fighter pilots are for.

Who just got some used jets coming.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Or we’re severely underestimating how absurdly loud bears are.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's crazy how much the past 24 hours seem to have redefined the geopolitical situation in Europe. Prior to this kicking off, the general consensus was that if Putin did march on Ukraine, there was nothing anybody could really do about it without potentially kicking off a MAD scenario, which was what Putin was clearly counting on. Oh, there would be sanctions, lip service stuff mostly, and a lot of tut tutting in the media, but nothing really substantial.

I guess what nobody really thought too hard about until the poo poo hit the fan, was that the capitalist economies of the world now have a shitload of levers to pull via the sanction dogpile, asset seizures, port restrictions etc. that simply didn't apply to the USSR due to the fact that the USSR were effectively economically isolated from the west from the get go. I guess the assumption that this would be done and dusted in 2 days played a major part in that, but I dunno, this really feels like it changes the game a little bit for future sabre rattling attempts by nation states, potentially even China?

I guess you still risk cornering a rabid dog, or delivering proof to Putin's sceptics that an imperialist doctrine is really the only way forward - but it's still clearly a much lower risk than having another nation state wade into the conflict directly. I'm really hoping that sanity ultimately prevails and they roll Putin to save face, but I'm now wondering what other rabbits might come out of hats in the event that he does choose to double down? Most of us probably thought this level of solidarity and coordination among the governments of the western hemisphere was unlikely to impossible.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

So... what I'm hearing is that Japan will be completely safe if they intervene directly?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

It's crazy how much the past 24 hours seem to have redefined the geopolitical situation in Europe. Prior to this kicking off, the general consensus was that if Putin did march on Ukraine, there was nothing anybody could really do about it without potentially kicking off a MAD scenario, which was what Putin was clearly counting on. Oh, there would be sanctions, lip service stuff mostly, and a lot of tut tutting in the media, but nothing really substantial.

I guess what nobody really thought too hard about until the poo poo hit the fan, was that the capitalist economies of the world now have a shitload of levers to pull via the sanction dogpile, asset seizures, port restrictions etc. that simply didn't apply to the USSR due to the fact that the USSR were effectively economically isolated from the west from the get go. I guess the assumption that this would be done and dusted in 2 days played a major part in that, but I dunno, this really feels like it changes the game a little bit for future sabre rattling attempts by nation states, potentially even China?

I guess you still risk cornering a rabid dog, or delivering proof to Putin's sceptics that an imperialist doctrine is really the only way forward - but it's still clearly a much lower risk than having another nation state wade into the conflict directly. I'm really hoping that sanity ultimately prevails and they roll Putin to save face, but I'm now wondering what other rabbits might come out of hats in the event that he does choose to double down? Most of us probably thought this level of solidarity and coordination among the governments of the western hemisphere was unlikely to impossible.

I genuinely expected Germany, a country so culturally and politically inflexible that they maintained that coal was preferable to Nuclear from an emissions perspective, and which is run by a political party whose former head is literally on the board of a major Russian oil company, would continue to maintain that diplomacy was the only viable approach even as the missiles rained down. I'm glad that I was proven wrong.

psydude fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 1, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Russians continuing to deliberately target civilian infrastructure in Kharkiv. This morning they blew up the admin offices with a missile.

I'm going to spoiler this because it's really hosed up, although it isn't gory.

https://twitter.com/StratcomCentre/status/1498552426261057537

e: Context:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08dd0c8671829e

quote:

More on the Kharkiv missile attack from our correspondent Luke Harding:

Ukraine’s operational command says Russian forces have fired a rocket at the regional administration building in Kharkiv.

Video shows a massive explosion with the building hit directly. Several civilian cars were passing at the time.

The strike was an attempt to kill Kharkiv’s governor and his team leading the defence of the city, Ukraine’s second largest, Kyiv says. Residents say Kharkiv was targeted again last night and this morning.

A second video showed extensive damage from the strike to a private flat, just across the road Kharkiv’s administration building.

psydude fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 1, 2022

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-28/putin-bans-russians-from-servicing-foreign-debt-over-sanctions

Didn't see this posted, but Putin has banned citizens from depositing money to foreign accounts or making payments in foreign currency, finishing what the partial SWIFT sanctions started. Other than buttcoin there's no real way to get money into or out of Russia at this point, it seems. In fact I don't even know if there's a way to get buttcoin there anymore, since afaik most of the major wallets/exchanges aren't actually Russian?

This has real "you can't fire me, I quit" energy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mirconium posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-28/putin-bans-russians-from-servicing-foreign-debt-over-sanctions

Didn't see this posted, but Putin has banned citizens from depositing money to foreign accounts or making payments in foreign currency, finishing what the partial SWIFT sanctions started. Other than buttcoin there's no real way to get money into or out of Russia at this point, it seems. In fact I don't even know if there's a way to get buttcoin there anymore, since afaik most of the major wallets/exchanges aren't actually Russian?

This has real "you can't fire me, I quit" energy.

Watching a bunch of exchanges get fined into extinction for sanctions evasion would be a silver lining to all of this.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

psydude posted:

Watching a bunch of exchanges get fined into extinction for sanctions evasion would be a silver lining to all of this.

Is it that, or the provision of further evidence that Bitcoin/crypto can't even be used to do the thing was originally conceived to do?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Don Dongington posted:

Is it that, or the provision of further evidence that Bitcoin/crypto can't even be used to do the thing was originally conceived to do?

This is completely unrelated to anything I'm just leaving this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZkiQUzITU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Real? No idea.

https://twitter.com/xxNB65/status/1498563301525102594

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

psydude posted:

Would that actually work like that though, since western sanctions don't cover crypto? Russia could try to fine Binance to their heart's content, but I doubt they have a meaningful enforcement mechanism.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have a very hard time believing that Russia connected mission critical C2 servers to the public internet and that they don't have fault tolerance or redundancy built in.

But then again I also thought an army based around vehicles would bother bringing enough gas with them to drive more than 100km so who the gently caress knows.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

psydude posted:

I have a very hard time believing that Russia connected mission critical C2 servers to the public internet and that they don't have fault tolerance or redundancy built in.

But then again I also thought an army based around vehicles would bother bringing enough gas with them to drive more than 100km so who the gently caress knows.

At one point there were some tactical comms on unencrypted HF that Russian troops were calling out positions on.

While thousands of people were listening to it on WebSDR.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I, uh.... hope they haven't accidentally shut something down on the ISS.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

i'm cackling
https://twitter.com/janusrose/status/1498341311589535755

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Speaking of, how do we think things are going for ol' Snowden right about now? I completely forgot that guy was still in Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

psydude posted:

Speaking of, how do we think things are going for ol' Snowden right about now? I completely forgot that guy was still in Russia.

My money's on "tortured for intel" or "medically induced coma in a benzo withdrawal clinic Jordan Peterson style"