Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It definitely felt the writing got lazier and Judge really went all in on sticking it to those lib strawmen. It doesn't help that the show looks worse IMO. That way too clean and colorful art style that you can identify an episode from a screenshot. Just like simpsons was funnier when it looked "worse"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The episode where they reveal that Dale has an obsession with wicker baskets feels like they're stretching to make him zanier. I don't have a problem with the idea but the execution felt too left field. It might have benefitted if they hinted at it in earlier seasons.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

killer crane posted:

I always thought it was the flanderization. The show really worked hard for most of its run to keep these zany characters kind of realistic, and have other human qualities to balance the specific character quirk. The last couple seasons had numerous episodes where the writers seemed to have forgotten the characters were more than one dimensional buffoons.

It's this.

Compare how bland but still believably self important Peggy is in the early seasons to the last couple where she is completely obnoxious and probably would be slapped by a stranger for the ways she acts.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

What's the point to stop at in a rewatch?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

It's this.

Compare how bland but still believably self important Peggy is in the early seasons to the last couple where she is completely obnoxious and probably would be slapped by a stranger for the ways she acts.

I think that's fine. The late episode about her birthday party where her birthday party on the train gets derailed (metaphorically) and then Hank rails her shows her in a pretty sympathetic light.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I think the show is at its worst season 12 but recovers decently for the final season

Still worth watching tho

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't think the show ever really had a noticeable dip in quality tbh. When something runs that long, some of it is bound to be hit or miss but, taken as a whole, I think it was fantastic. In a long running series, there's always that reach where they try to explore a tertiary character, add another layer of depth to an established one, bring in some guest stars, do some gimmick episodes but I wouldn't put any of it into Jump the Shark territory.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It’s still funny up to the end. The episode when hank works at the organic coop is good

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The show was on the bubble for a while where it actually did get canceled once before but got a reprise at the last second.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
the last few seasons really depended a lot on if the writer that day felt like actually telling a funny story, or just venting about an overly pc world gone mad.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Its why im not so sure about brand new season coming out, scared its just gonna be "lol pc culture"

And not even in the good way KotH did it in the old days.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Bad king of the hill is still better than good episodes of other sitcoms. The show has 9 seasons of solid gold and then started having some relatively bad episodes.

You don't skip any of the later seasons. If you skip any Lucky episodes you're a fool, and we can't be friends.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, just glancing at a list of season 12 episodes, it had:

Sticker Price, Death Picks Cotton, Train Sex, the Gentrification episode, Food truck, the Water Park, Minh joins the gun club, the Co-op... all good episodes.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Yeah there are great episodes in all seasons.

But You know what episode I can’t watch? Like I would watch “Miss Wakefield” 100 times before I’d watch this one?

The episode with Hank accidentally taking the guys wallet and loving up the communication so bad that the guy thinks he wants to fight him over it. I can’t stand Hanks handling of it though out the entire episode and especially at the end.

Also Dale tries to get some gender discrimination money at Hooters, but that was pretty funny.

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
Competitive eating episode bad

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Transfascism

The episode some executive at fox demanded be made on evey show they had. Unwatchable in every form.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cocaine is Abel posted:

Competitive eating episode bad

I just listened to the Behind the Bastards episode on George Shea, the guy who invented competitive eating. Fascinating, terrible man. They said it's actually a very good thing his thing was competitive eating instead of politics or something else because he would have been a very dangerous man. He wholesale made up the Belt of Fat theory.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

namlosh posted:

The episode with Hank accidentally taking the guys wallet

While the episode has its problems I love it. And I think the A and B plots line up in this weird exploration of toxic masculinity... Like the dude with the wallet went straight to Michael Douglas in falling down, and Dale doesn't actually give a poo poo about gender equality. It gave me loads of lols.

My worst is the American Choppers episode. What a ham-firsted cross promotional episode. Tune in to American Choppers on Discovery Channel at 8PM Friday nights.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I will give the American Chopper episode credit, they were cool with being portrayed as assholes.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Detective No. 27 posted:

I will give the American Chopper episode credit, they were cool with being portrayed as assholes.

That's basically the premise of their show. But yeah if they had somehow managed to make it look otherwise it'd be nu-Simpsons style dissonance.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I never watched it, but I figured as much.

They were always smart with guest stars playing themselves on KoTH. They, usually got people who would make sense within the world, rather than putting on whoever was that month's hottest star, or, doing it for the sake of doing it. Making Dusty Hill a cousin of Hank's might have been a little self indigent, but the show was nearly over, so whatever.

The last time I watched a Nu-Simpsons they got the guy who makes the NYT crossword puzzle to guest star as himself. Who was the intended audience for that? Who, besides possibly the guy's wife (or husband?) could have possibly been excited to see that? No one should know who makes the crossword puzzle and I genuinely hope they fired him and use the same algorithm to generate crossword puzzles that the Ratheon CEOs use to generate their pro-war opinion pieces.

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

The last time I watched a Nu-Simpsons they got the guy who makes the NYT crossword puzzle to guest star as himself. Who was the intended audience for that? Who, besides possibly the guy's wife (or husband?) could have possibly been excited to see that? No one should know who makes the crossword puzzle and I genuinely hope they fired him and use the same algorithm to generate crossword puzzles that the Ratheon CEOs use to generate their pro-war opinion pieces.

Gillian Jacobs?

https://youtu.be/sSHD0tQ1XvA

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've been doing a rewatch and am at the final season and decided to slow down the binging, but overall I've really enjoyed the final season. Luanne giving birth was a great episode. As was the hall of flame episode.

I know Fox really Frankenstein'd the last season by including episodes unaired from previous seasons, as well as episodes that didn't air that year and only showed up during syndication.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Detective No. 27 posted:

In later seasons they had Bill James, the guy who created advanced statistical metrics for baseball do a VA ("I make baseball as fun as doing your taxes!"), and I'm pretty sure they got him because a bunch of writers are baseball stat nerds. Greg Daniels did a similar joke in Parks & Recreation.

My guess here is that the writers room has a bunch of crossword fans and that NYT guy is probably like a God to them.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I guess I'm a huge nerd because I knew Will Shortz' name without looking it up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

seiferguy posted:

I've been doing a rewatch and am at the final season and decided to slow down the binging, but overall I've really enjoyed the final season. Luanne giving birth was a great episode. As was the hall of flame episode.

I know Fox really Frankenstein'd the last season by including episodes unaired from previous seasons, as well as episodes that didn't air that year and only showed up during syndication.

I did sorta like how the last batch of those eps felt like finales for a lot of characters, then the status quo returned for the next episode. Sorta like a choose your own adventure of epilogues.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder how much they would change in the Hill house to account for modern tech and living changes.

Especially since a late season episode has a B plot about Peggy and Luanne getting a new big screen tv and hating it

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

bobjr posted:

I wonder how much they would change in the Hill house to account for modern tech and living changes.

Especially since a late season episode has a B plot about Peggy and Luanne getting a new big screen tv and hating it

They obviously didn’t know how to turn the AI motion filter off that artificially makes everything 120 fps, like my stubborn brother. I bet Hank will insist it be left on, because that’s how the television manufacturers intended we watch tv, like my retarded brother. They’re the same brother btw.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm excited about a reboot in spite of a lot of the terrible ideas for it being posted here. I can't recall an animated show that actually aged up the characters aside from fantasy flash forward episodes. I think the modern context of all the poo poo happening right now suits the characters really well and I trust Mike Judge to find the right ways to pull it off.

Almost all of the characters on the show are very well written already so, to me, finding new poo poo for them to do in a society and culture that's totally off the rails right now shouldn't be real hard to not make it suck. Only thing that's really changed is the context

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

bobjr posted:

Will someone let the kitten out of the window?

The show won't be the same without Lue Ann :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope they keep Suzette, Boomhauer's Canadian wife.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Rewatched the volunteer firefighters episode and gently caress if this isn't the best 30 second gag

https://twitter.com/90sManiax/status/1229094969140371456?t=uYRN17aB7eJ5ecREMvN1Dw&s=19

I'm betting Johnny Hardwick and Stephen Root were giggling so hard they had to do multiple takes for this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

seiferguy posted:

Rewatched the volunteer firefighters episode and gently caress if this isn't the best 30 second gag

https://twitter.com/90sManiax/status/1229094969140371456?t=uYRN17aB7eJ5ecREMvN1Dw&s=19

I'm betting Johnny Hardwick and Stephen Root were giggling so hard they had to do multiple takes for this.

My favorite running gag is when the gang gets into trouble with the authorities, Boomhauer usually tells the whole truth, but no outsider can understand him.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

My favorite running gag is when the gang gets into trouble with the authorities, Boomhauer usually tells the whole truth, but no outsider can understand him.

It really doesn't get better than the fireman episode where he outright says "Hell no, we're not disrespecting the memory of Chet Elderson, Gribble plugged that drat sign in" but the fire chief only heard "Chet Elderson ... Plugged that sign in" and leaves it at that

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Iron Crowned posted:

Shishkahuben posted:

It really doesn't get better than the fireman episode where he outright says "Hell no, we're not disrespecting the memory of Chet Elderson, Gribble plugged that drat sign in" but the fire chief only heard "Chet Elderson ... Plugged that sign in" and leaves it at that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma6WAownJyo&t=63s

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Hey who feels like getting annoyed with someone's opinion about cartoons this morning?

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEAw2P4VRIoRhzE4lUK9OKTgqGQgEKhAIACoHCAownqWBCzD44fwCMMymtwY?uo=CAUiANIBAA&hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know how a complaint with adult animated sitcoms like Simpsons, and I suppose shows in general, are that the writers don't give the wife/mom characters anything to do? Never heard that complaint with KoTH. Peggy is usually perfectly utilized.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Peggy as a weird mother in law will/would be incredible.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The benefit of a timeskip is even potentially seeing how Peggy ruins Bobby’s wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

They are fixing her mom problem, she's not a mom anymore they are aging up. Peggy will be an excellent grandmother and spoil that kid rotten.

Also to fix the Bobby voice thing, Bobbie should open his mouth then a flash back should start to when he was still a kid with that voice.