Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh nice, I got all the 3DS Themes, because Shipping and Handling is a real bitch to pay for tiny trinkets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I didn't realise those are avatars for my profile on the actual Switch. Cool.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So if I add credit to my Switch account, I can still use that stuff to buy games on my 3DS? I just can't buy games directly through the 3DS with a debit card if I understood correctly right?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
To be fair, BOTW2 could drop unannounced on a Wednesday in February and would still have 5 million units sold in the first week.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Zurtilik posted:

To be fair, BOTW2 could drop unannounced on a Wednesday in February and would still have 5 million units sold in the first week.

I’d drop whatever I’m playing that isn’t Elden Ring.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Rolo posted:

I’d drop whatever I’m playing that isn’t Elden Ring.

:hmmyes:

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
E-elden Ring? I've never heard of that Switch title.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

think it’s that fitness game

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Zurtilik posted:

E-elden Ring?

Elden Ring?!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Zurtilik posted:

I liked X/Y a lot but it did really begin the too much hand holding trend and just seemed to kind of revert to an entirely more kid friendly bent (they are kids games tho.)

Not by design!

quote:

JM: First of all, we did not create Pokémon for kids. We create the Pokémon games for everybody. Everybody can play the Pokémon games, so we try to make the games very approachable. For example, we use different colors. It's not just about the text, but the visual appeal. In the end, yes, even kids can play this game.

Of course, adults might focus more on the storyline. But the main thing is catching Pokémon, and trading Pokémon. You trade Pokémon.

If you're an adult and you're trying to trade Pokémon, you might feel a little bit shy, because you're dealing with Pokémon. Maybe between kids, they're not shy about it. So maybe in that sense, maybe kids can better enjoy the trading aspect of Pokémon games.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

is elden ring tempering anyone else's hype for BOTW2, it scratches the same itch but with so much more variety than BOTW had

hopefully BOTW2 has more than a dozen enemy types

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have not looked at a whit of footage of elden Ring and don't give a gently caress about it because I don't like souls games

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i like souls games AND i like nintendo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I have not looked at a whit of footage of elden Ring and don't give a gently caress about it because I don't like souls games

dumbass

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Sorry, but they're good OP.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Zurtilik posted:

E-elden Ring? I've never heard of that Switch title.

it's the new ring fit game, written by george r. r. martin.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i like souls games AND i like nintendo

Hell yeah same. Isn’t it awesome to like things?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I have not looked at a whit of footage of Elden Ring because I've given up on gaming PCs and consoles that aren't the Switch and I wanna play it blind whenever I have something that can play the remastered version like ten years from now.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I have been neglecting my poor switch due to a sudden addiction to the yakuza series but will probably be lured back by Triangle Strategy

A shame Yakuza will never come to Switch after it bombed on Wii U

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Rolo posted:

Hell yeah same. Isn’t it awesome to like things?

it owns

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

botw2 is going to be extremely disappointing to anybody expecting something other than a galaxy 2-style glorified expansion, which seems like it's gonna be a good number of people

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
galaxy 2 was really good though? gonna be so let down by this similar game that is way better, absolutely distraught

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sudden Javelin posted:

gonna be so let down by this similar game that is way better, absolutely distraught

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sudden Javelin posted:

galaxy 2 was really good though? gonna be so let down by this similar game that is way better, absolutely distraught

It's not bad by any means, but it's a clear step back from open worlds to more "classic" Super Mario level design and just didn't feel as good as the original to me because of that.

Motto posted:

botw2 is going to be extremely disappointing to anybody expecting something other than a galaxy 2-style glorified expansion, which seems like it's gonna be a good number of people

Nah, you're looking at the wrong franchise. I'd say Yakuza's the more likely comparison, where they stick to the old map, toss in the old existing mechanics, and then iterate a whole bunch of new ones and content into it to make it much more populated.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

repiv posted:

hopefully BOTW2 weapons have more than a dozen swings

:newlol:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I love how people will come out of the woodwork to tell you how wrong you are for not liking dark souls et al

I’m not sure at what point the internet collectively decided they’re the best games of all time and you’re a stupid fool if it doesn’t appeal to you. I remember demons souls on PS3 being this unique, challenging, niche title and now all of a sudden all anyone can do is be like oh god yes I can’t wait to die a thousand different times sit on my loving face fromsoft!

My point is, at their core, they’re intensely challenging games that will only appeal to people looking for such an experience, and I find the fanbase to be obnoxious and delusional. I’ve beaten dark souls and bloodborne and all that poo poo, they’re good for what they set out to be, they’re not the end all be all of gaming, not everyone is gonna be into it, and I’m certainly not interested in more of it myself. Calm the gently caress down about your stupid new dark souls game. Stop dogpiling anytime someone expresses that it ain’t their cup of tea.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not bad by any means, but it's a clear step back from open worlds to more "classic" Super Mario level design and just didn't feel as good as the original to me because of that.

The original Galaxy was not an open world game, you could not freely explore levels, they were all linear paths to the star. The game in fact completely prevented you from going to areas that were not relevant to the star you were trying to get. You couldn't wander off to the sticky pod area of Space Junk Galaxy if you were on the first star, for example, because the sling star can't send you there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Twelve by Pies posted:

The original Galaxy was not an open world game, you could not freely explore levels, they were all linear paths to the star. The game in fact completely prevented you from going to areas that were not relevant to the star you were trying to get. You couldn't wander off to the sticky pod area of Space Junk Galaxy if you were on the first star, for example, because the sling star can't send you there.

I meant more in-line with the older 3D super Mario games where it'd dump you in the same World with a different goal and level design.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Motto posted:

Give me a totally new map to explore and I won’t care about the rest.

“I wanna go up there and look around.”
“Oh what’s that I see from up here.”
Repeat for 100 hours. Fall in love.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So wait lemme see we're going to get BOTW2 which at worst is going to be BOTW with somewhat different stuff which will basically be what I have now what with being on my 2nd playthough because that game owns.

And now I can skip Arceus what with spring coming and instead wait until fall/winter an jump straight into an actual full fleged open world Pokemon game?

Nintendo's dyin.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I meant more in-line with the older 3D super Mario games where it'd dump you in the same World with a different goal and level design.

That's what I mean too. Super Mario 64 actually is more open world because you can get stars in mostly any order. There are some that are dependent on others (you can't get the one at the top of the fortress in Whomp's Fortress until after you've beaten the Whomp King for example), but if I go to the Koopa the Quick star I can go "Oh hey I'd rather get the 8 red coins star instead" or "Hmm I have the wing cap I think I'll get the one where you shoot through the rings from the sky island." You straight up cannot do that in Galaxy. If I'm going for the star where you save Luigi in Boo's Mansion I can't go "You know I'd rather go do the boo race instead," if I'm in Space Junk Galaxy on the spider boss fight I can't say "I'd rather go get the silver stars instead."

Galaxy 2 is identical to the first Galaxy in level design, the only difference is you have Lubba instead of Rosalina and a world map instead of a hub. And it's cool to like the original Galaxy because you think Rosalina is better, or because of the storybook, like that's valid. But there is nothing different about Galaxy 2's level design compared to the original at all. If you don't like how Galaxy 2 does things, then by definition you also don't like how Galaxy 1 does things.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm happy for everyone that is good enough at video games to like fromsoft games even though I don't like them.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

That really sucks man, I hope you don't have too many friends hounding you about it.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Comparisons of Elden Ring and BotW are very apt and interesting to think about because they're the two big standout games at this point that have really pulled off the deliberately designed open world game where the world is not to facilitate a checklist but rather a genuine fundamental focus. BotW went the route of abandoning conventional Zelda tools and progression in favor of extremely high levels of mobility, traversal and fuckery with stuff like physics and interaction with elements. It's very easy to picture, however, a similar world design with an opposite ethos on traversal. Having stuff like the hookshot, hover boots, the horse, or any other item to just clear a gated path without the freedom of climbing anything or gliding off of any height could still be something equally compelling. That's essentially what Elden Ring has done by way of intentionally gating you via the world design without ever making you feel like you're confined in a given region, but it lends gravitas to the traversal and winds up making everything feel significantly more "grounded" so to speak. That's done in conjunction with a variety of interior spaces seamlessly blended with all it that perfectly shift into dungeon crawling mode. You feel more like you're down there in the forests, swamps and dungeons along with your character. I think the perfect Zelda game ultimately draws that kind of stuff from Elden Ring's design. It has nothing to do with the Souls gameplay elements and all of the white noise about difficulty and opinions surrounding it. It's worth talking about because the world design is absolutely exceptional and incredibly impressive which winds up evoking the exact same feeling of wonder that BotW did a few years back. It's not meant in any kind of derogatory way, but if Zelda continues with the open world formula it could absolutely draw a lot from Elden Ring's ethos.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Looking forward to playing Poké of the Wild.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
From has always been good at designing a bunch of weird enemies so it makes sense that their open world would have a ton of variety there. Hopefully BOTW2 has more than 17 enemy types

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm happy for everyone that is good enough at video games to like fromsoft games even though I don't like them.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
buy elden ring

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

buy elden ring

No thanks it costs more than a Nintendo Game and I don't have a lot of time to be mad at video games so I cultivate a very tight schedule of titles to be owned by on the Nintendo Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you’ve played it and it wasn’t your jam, that’s fine, but I will recommend Dark Souls (available on Nintendo Switch!) for anyone who hasn’t tried it and does enjoy games like Zelda or Metroid Dread.

Their reputation is kind of overblown; yes it’s difficult and you’re going to die a lot, but that’s an element the game is consciously designed around. There’s loads of checkpoints and the punishment for dying is pretty minor. Even a scrub like me eventually beat that game.