Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

My bet is CA saw people assuming the 9th LL was Be'lakor, and they went "oh poo poo" and tried this to placate. It is very weird for the non-demons.

Also, gotta agree that the best part of the realms is the art direction. They really knocked it out of the park there. I just wish doing them didn't feel so much like a punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Collapsing Farts posted:

I really love the idea of the leader of Kislev, the most anti-demon human nation, coming home holding hands with a superdemon.

Nyet nyet it's ok dad, we can definitely trust this guy

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Huh. I didn't get that pop up at the end of my Cathay campaign.

For some reason, the epilogue popup doesn't show up till 3 or so turns after you actually win the campaign, I missed it entirely when I completed my first campaign as Skarbrand.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
They were up front earlier that Katarin probably would have had a sled except for covid, so maybe it did have an impact.

I like their attempt, it just falls short in a few ways that are really jarring. And Belakor is weird: make him only for the chaos factions or make him a bonus LL for all the demon factions a la Boris, but he does feel tacked on.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq06JLrsz20

Really interesting speculation that the Immortal Empires map might not require owning WH2 and WH1. Reason being that this would enable new players to play the big map and see all the factions they're missing, incentivizing them to buy those race DLC. And it would also make it possible to release DLC for races that are not on the WH3 campaign map. Which all sounds plausible to me, so if CA do go this route, it's at least a small hint that getting Ind or Kuresh factions in-game might be a bit more likely than we thought.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Torrannor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq06JLrsz20

Really interesting speculation that the Immortal Empires map might not require owning WH2 and WH1.

For what it's worth, the FAQ still says this
WILL THERE BE A COMBINED MAP FOR OWNERS OF ALL THREE GAMES?
Yes, though currently our focus is on Total War: WARHAMMER III.
We will release a massive combined map that will be a huge free DLC for owners of all three games,[i] and we’ll have more detail later.
Note that you will need to own all three parts of the trilogy through a single store front in order to claim this free DLC. Please see above for details.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I'm bummed it doesn't sound like they are doing a continuous globe map for Immortal Empires. I actually don't mind the squished Uthuan or other features honestly, I just want a massive battlefield to play in.

Outposts are going to be really fun with that game mode especially depending on your particular neighbors. With diplomacy being less opaque now it's easier to achieve as well.

Magic also feels stronger. I used to play an overhaul that massively buffed magic so I'm kind of spoiled. Though I do wish many overcast spells were a little more spectacular in form and function instead of just "you can cast it from further away" or "its a little bit stronger". Luckys overhaul did things like make overcast fireball a massive artillery barrage, vortex spells got 2 or 3 vortices on overcast, buffs had huge radii and lasted much longer. With the downside being that these cost massive amounts of wind to use so it was a 'magdump your reserves into enemy formation and that's it'.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Imagine an army of unbreakable Saurus led by Gor-Rok, backed by Sisters of Avelorn. The outpost system owns. :getin:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The new outpost system is honestly one of the best things that Total Warhammer has ever gotten. Yes, I do want Terracotta Sentinels in my Dawi army very badly. This will be sooo much fun, I can hardly wait for Immortal Empires.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm interested in seeing if they go back to the fairly standard map projection and just squish more east in, or use the more unusual projection from the 3 map.

Honestly, if it's the latter I hope the realms stay in. Have one of each eventual chaos lord start there, maybe keep rift teleportation in somehow. Just remove the tedious race bullshit. Like I said earlier the art style is neato. Plus you would then get the option to take your favourite game 1/2 lord and just raze Tzeentch for revenge. Remember how satisfying it was to nuke the poo poo out of the wood elves when Ikit arrived?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I really like the idea of using the Realms as rapid transit system for the large map. Just decrease the number of portals significantly and drop their corruption effect significantly and you'd be fine.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm interested in seeing if they go back to the fairly standard map projection and just squish more east in, or use the more unusual projection from the 3 map.

Honestly, if it's the latter I hope the realms stay in. Have one of each eventual chaos lord start there, maybe keep rift teleportation in somehow. Just remove the tedious race bullshit. Like I said earlier the art style is neato. Plus you would then get the option to take your favourite game 1/2 lord and just raze Tzeentch for revenge. Remember how satisfying it was to nuke the poo poo out of the wood elves when Ikit arrived?

Make map large, then allow you to warp your armies by Redeployment through capital cities.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Tzeentch powers on a global scale would be delicious, and yeah making it so the chaos forces can potentially go to any theater would be awesome.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tirranek posted:

Tzeentch powers on a global scale would be delicious, and yeah making it so the chaos forces can potentially go to any theater would be awesome.

Chaos forces should be able to open rifts using heroes, Port-owning forces should be able to warp to ports owned by themselves or allies. I mean they literally invented this for Oxy and the Wood Elves and the Chaos Rifts in the campaign like... just... just do it!

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

So FYI if you want to have Skarbrand hell camp his dad’s realm you can pick up all four weapons just move it to another character before getting the next one.

Once the Khorne realm is safe from thieving LLs pop back in a portal and go anywhere you want. I’m gonna invade Cathay. Can always cult teleport back home.

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 1, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't care if i have to wait minutes between turns, I want my combined non squished map just so I can see the eventual "way to much time on their hands" youtuber playthroughs of it, complete with skipped loading times :v:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

I really like the idea of using the Realms as rapid transit system for the large map. Just decrease the number of portals significantly and drop their corruption effect significantly and you'd be fine.

Maybe add a "portal jamming" effect to one of the buildings like the garrison or something so you have some control over where they appear. It's super annoying if the portals could just open up next to your critical infrastructure buildings/settlements. So the portals would be opening up at the edges of your territory mostly, or something to that effect.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

This is probably going to sound weird, but after playing with Ogres they feel like how I wanted Bretonnia to play. It's an army where anything worthwhile is large, based on a lot of powerful charges, but where instead of feeling fragile and low impact like most cavalry, their charges are incredibly powerful and they can get stuck in, they don't rely on just cycle charging. I don't know if it's a difference in stats, the difference in how monsters vs cav perform or what, but look at ogres to make Bretonnia more fun imo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I absolutely loathe the WH3 projection so I'm really hoping they have a standard projection for IE.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Monstrous infantry have always performed and felt better to me than cavalry, even in the last game minotaur or kroxigor charges were much more fun and satisfying than anything Bretonnia could pull off. A lower unit count with higher mass and HP pool per-model I think really helps as it takes a lot longer for a single minotaur to get poked down by peasants than a single knight.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Eimi posted:

This is probably going to sound weird, but after playing with Ogres they feel like how I wanted Bretonnia to play. It's an army where anything worthwhile is large, based on a lot of powerful charges, but where instead of feeling fragile and low impact like most cavalry, their charges are incredibly powerful and they can get stuck in, they don't rely on just cycle charging. I don't know if it's a difference in stats, the difference in how monsters vs cav perform or what, but look at ogres to make Bretonnia more fun imo.

I think it's mass. A lot of horse cavalry will get stuck in the enemy and it will be tedious to cycle charge them. On top of it they usually take a lot of damage during this process

Monstrous cavalry/infantry like kislev bears or ogre anythings, will have lots more mass and hp/model so they will be able to do the job much better

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think cavalry get stuck inside enemy units a lot easier than monsters. Maybe it’s because of their shape?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Collapsing Farts posted:

I think it's mass. A lot of horse cavalry will get stuck in the enemy and it will be tedious to cycle charge them. On top of it they usually take a lot of damage during this process

Monstrous cavalry/infantry like kislev bears or ogre anythings, will have lots more mass and hp/model so they will be able to do the job much better

It’s not mass. The reason cav feel weird is that cavalry charges don’t do damage; attack animations do. It’s unintuitive that a charge that bowls over an entire company is often worse than one that leaves the units on their feet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

orangelex44 posted:

It’s not mass. The reason cav feel weird is that cavalry charges don’t do damage; attack animations do. It’s unintuitive that a charge that bowls over an entire company is often worse than one that leaves the units on their feet.

It sucks gameplay wise but if they ever fix it properly, I'll almost miss seeing some empire schmuck go flying halfway down a hill, land on his head, then just get up and charge back to the fray.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

orangelex44 posted:

Yeah this does drive me nuts. A charge into the rear of an enemy that launches them 30 feet doesn’t do poo poo for damage. Sometimes when cavalry chase dudes down that are retreating it takes them forever to actually kill them because they’re knocking them over constantly.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Wait what? There's no more impact damage?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
And we know they can make then do damage (I'm pretty sure this is why 3k's charges feel so good) because all of the new chariots have impact damage on them.

Or at least that is what the collision impact tooltip implies.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
All cavalry should use whatever code, stats, mass or animations Slaaneshi dootlers do because they are insanely good.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

jokes posted:

Yeah this does drive me nuts. A charge into the rear of an enemy that launches them 30 feet doesn’t do poo poo for damage. Sometimes when cavalry chase dudes down that are retreating it takes them forever to actually kill them because they’re knocking them over constantly.
Same here, and I'm sure someone will come running to post "Well AAAAA! Real Muenster you're not going to get 3K quality charges in WH3!!!!" which is not what I'm asking for. I'd just like the whole going flying thing to get addressed. WH3 is a different beast because there are SEMs and they need to be balanced, but the side of effect of Cav charges being completely anemic and boring has to get fixed. A model that gets knocked off a wall dies, why cant a model that flies far enough do the same? I watched a Kislevite Ice Kitty play with its food, the last model in a Marauder Spearmen unit, for 10 minutes on max speed because it kept charging, which knocked the guy flying, so the kitty just charged again and again, sending him flying again and again.

Doomykins posted:

All cavalry should use whatever code, stats, mass or animations Slaaneshi dootlers do because they are insanely good.
Maybe I'll play a Slaanesh game after all.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Wait what? There's no more impact damage?

They actually added it back a little bit in WH3. Now units that get knocked back and fall a certain amount (I don't know exactly how far) will take extra damage and die.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I just charged headfirst with a unit of bloodcrushers into a unit of tsar guard with great weapons and did 1100hp damage on the charge. Pulled out of combat immediately.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just charged headfirst with a unit of bloodcrushers into a unit of tsar guard with great weapons and did 1100hp damage on the charge. Pulled out of combat immediately.
And?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

I read the post above me as saying that they'd removed or severely nerfed impact damage.

I just repeated it with Jade Lancers and did 500 on the charge, headfirst. It's probably either mass OR it's that the mounts on blood crushers do an attack animation on the charge whereas horsemen need the rider to do an attack animation.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

OR it's that the mounts on blood crushers do an attack animation on the charge whereas horsemen need the rider to do an attack animation.

It's this, monstrous infantry/cavalry have better charge attacks.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Dramicus posted:

They actually added it back a little bit in WH3. Now units that get knocked back and fall a certain amount (I don't know exactly how far) will take extra damage and die.

You can see it in action in this post about Plague Drones knocking guys off a wall to their deaths.
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/sz4m7c/i_sent_my_plague_drones_to_fight_a_unit_on_the/

Torrannor posted:

I thought they wanted to tell us the roadmap for Immortal Empires and DLC last week, did I misunderstand something? Was it this week?

Gonkish posted:

I think that got pushed back by the hotfixes or something.

The quote I remember is that we’d have news in “a week or two.” We still have a couple days to make good on that!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I read the post above me as saying that they'd removed or severely nerfed impact damage.

I just repeated it with Jade Lancers and did 500 on the charge, headfirst. It's probably either mass OR it's that the mounts on blood crushers do an attack animation on the charge whereas horsemen need the rider to do an attack animation.
Ah okay, I didnt think it was some sort of post trying to say "the issue everyone is complaining about is not an actual issue because of this one example" but I couldnt tell because a lot of posts all came at once. I dont think anyone is denying that charges do damage, its just that its inconsistent and there is another game made by the same developer where a proper charge will do an appropriate amount of damage, like if Heavy Cataphracts charge peasant archers, well, there are no more peasant archers, which I think everyone can agree is the proper outcome. In WH3, if Grail Knights charge Peasant Archers, not a ton happens other than Peasant Archers flying in the air.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Wow Jade Lancers loving suck. Two charges did a little over 1000hp damage but did not kill a single model. In the exchange Jade Lancers lost 1600hp and 9 models. I didn't stick around in combat. That was charge - do impact damage - retreat within a few seconds and then a second charge while they were unbraced and then withdraw immediately.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

You can see it in action in this post about Plague Drones knocking guys off a wall to their deaths.
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/sz4m7c/i_sent_my_plague_drones_to_fight_a_unit_on_the/

The quote I remember is that we’d have news in “a week or two.” We still have a couple days to make good on that!

I even saw it happen when I did a downhill charge with Jade lancers. The infantry got knocked back and because it was a little downhill, they fell a bit before all dying. Must have been 20 or so who died in the impact like that.

And it wasn't super steep or anything, so the threshold for fall damage might not be very high.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dr Christmas posted:

I put some crane gunners up on walls and the unit at the back kept pushing the shield unit over the edge of the destroyed section of wall, lost an entire unit to that fun bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I think some units need some 'finisher' attack that does bonus damage vs knocked down enemies. This could be given to all Lance cavalry so when they knock over models their follow up attacks are doing way more damage. It also means chasing down fleeing enemies is way more deadly as they'll repeatedly trample them to death n the process.

They could give this skill to some 'beast' type units as well for the intent to rear charge or finish off fleeing enemies, as well as a few kinds of infantry like slayers or death runners.