Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Wazzerphuk posted:

That time Chelsea subbed off Mendy for Kepa in the 120th minute of the league cup final, and not only did he fail to save any of the eleven penalties he faced, but then spooned his one 9000 miles over the bar, losing Chelsea the final

Just remembered this and lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Wazzerphuk posted:

That time Chelsea subbed off Mendy for Kepa in the 120th minute of the league cup final, and not only did he fail to save any of the eleven penalties he faced, but then spooned his one 9000 miles over the bar, losing Chelsea the final

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wazzerphuk posted:

lol

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Wazzerphuk posted:

oh yeah, managerial masterclass, this

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Wazzerphuk posted:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's such humiliation for Kepa I almost feel bad for him

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

shut up blegum posted:

Just remembered this and lmao

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

the time sarri tried to sub off kepa and he refused to go off and then chelsea sacked sarri and kept kepa.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the time sarri tried to sub off kepa and he refused to go off and then chelsea sacked sarri and kept kepa.

Sounds made up

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

ItohRespectArmy posted:

in a cup final

which they lost

with kepa in goal

in a penalty shootout

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Kepa skying it is obviously the best lol but a close second is him standing to the side he knew Van Dijk was going to put it and still getting nowhere near it

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Speaking of Chelsea players skying penalties in cup finals

https://youtu.be/HSnZz0kBnqs

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Her Dryer posted:

Kepa skying it is obviously the best lol but a close second is him standing to the side he knew Van Dijk was going to put it and still getting nowhere near it

I don't remember seeing a better penalty than that. Kepa standing there in the corner and then van Dijk just blasts it past his stupid face lol

https://twitter.com/lfc/status/1498289820782714885?s=21

also his reaction lmao

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
The stare down at the end makes it even better.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Tim Krul getting subbed on for that penalty shootout and loving with every shooter was also a hilarious sub

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

nawilo_420 posted:

I don't remember seeing a better penalty than that. Kepa standing there in the corner and then van Dijk just blasts it past his stupid face lol

https://twitter.com/lfc/status/1498289820782714885?s=21

also his reaction lmao

Shearer’s penalty in the 98 World Cup shoot out was like this but higher. Always sticks out to me. 1:50 in this video.

https://youtu.be/TMhY2eqpJ8M

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

blue footed boobie posted:

Never gets old

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ilmucche posted:

Tim Krul getting subbed on for that penalty shootout and loving with every shooter was also a hilarious sub

its particularly weird because he'd been so unbelievably poo poo at saving them at club level

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

they didn't sack him he went to juve!!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ahh, never gets old

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
https://youtu.be/E3eywSO-_0w

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAXpt2BSEUM

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIUp19bBoA

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
John Terry bringing his air rifle to training and spending his day noscoping youth players

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

the sex ghost posted:

John Terry bringing his air rifle to training and spending his day noscoping youth players

Wasn't that Ashley Cole?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Mickolution posted:

Wasn't that Ashley Cole?

It was!

quote:

It's truly inconceivable that a Premier League footballer could bring a gun to the training ground," a source said. "But Ashley pulled the rifle from a box and started larking about with it in the changing room."

Former Arsenal star Cole, 30, arrived at Chelsea's Cobham training ground in Surrey holding the weapon, complete with a nightscope, last week. The incident was witnessed by a dozen members of staff, but Cole claimed he was unaware that the rifle was loaded. Cowan, a Loughborough University sports science student, was at the team's training ground as part of a year's work placement with Chelsea.

On Wednesday, he was called into a three-hour meeting with "deeply worried" Chelsea officials to discuss the accident, and a day later his father, Ronald, a 51-year-old quantity surveyor, held a second meeting at the club where he demanded to know what action would be taken against Cole.

I bet they were deeply worried lol

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
What a club.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does anyone remember that time Chelsea subbed off Mendy for Kepa in the 120th minute of the league cup final, and not only did he fail to save any of the eleven penalties he faced, but then spooned his one 9000 miles over the bar, losing Chelsea the final

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I do remember that

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

I do remember that

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

i'm also remembering the time that rio ferdinand called ashley cole a 'choc ice' in public and had to go on a course

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
PSG's annual capitulation in the CL

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Benzema’s explosion in his 30’s has really been something.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm only being partly glib, but I wonder if that 5-6 years of not spending any time with the France NT because of...the thing...has helped him in the longevity department.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Lol Chelsea.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

benzema and lewandowski have always been good but have taken such a huge step up at what should be the end of their careers that it seems like something's going on

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

someone on Twitter posted the full chronicles of "The Banter Years", aka from when Rangers entered administration to today, and it reminded me of the greatest bar graph ever produced

(also, this entry:)

3rd December 2017: Graeme Murty guides Rangers to back-to-back victories in the space of a week over Derek McInnes' Aberdeen to move Rangers into second.

4th December 2017: But what's this? After 5 weeks of deliberation, Rangers have decided that they want Derek McInnes as their manager. The media tapping up goes into overdrive, it appears that Rangers have got their man until...

7th December 2017: Derek McInnes decides to stay at Aberdeen, Rangers release a pathetic 'didn't want him anyway' statement and use the word concomitant.

8th December 2017: In Aberdeen's next match, their fans unveil a banner reading 'Concomitant you Reds'.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Felix Magath being named interim manager at Hertha Berlin prompted me to look up his Wikipedia page again to find some anecdotes of his notoriously grueling training methods, I didn’t recall this but lol at Riether setting the record straight:

"Wikipedia posted:

After leaving Fulham in September 2014, bizarre stories emerged about how Magath had suggested that Brede Hangeland rub cheese on a thigh injury. Magath stated that Hangeland did not have a thigh injury but an inflammation of the knee, and that he suggested the additional use of an alternative treatment with a bandage (dressing) consisting of Quark.

Fulham player Sascha Riether later said that the story was greatly exaggerated and that Magath had suggested he use a traditional topfen curd.

Of course it also reminded me of the fabled Robin van Persie horse placenta treatment.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I remember a story about RVP still being really into WAZZZAAAAAAAP in like 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat

greazeball posted:

I remember a story about RVP still being really into WAZZZAAAAAAAP in like 2013

I don't know about RVP, but Roy Keane said that was true for Robbie Savage when Roy wanted him for Sunderland:

Roy Keane posted:

I rang Mark Hughes. Robbie wasn’t in the Blackburn team and I asked Mark if we could try to arrange a deal. Sparky said, ‘Yeah, yeah he’s lost his way here but he could still do a job for you’. Robbie’s legs were going a bit but I thought he might come up to us with his long hair, and give us a lift – the way Yorkie had, a big personality in the dressing room.

Sparky gave me permission to give him a call. So I got Robbie’s mobile number and rang him. It went to his voicemail, ‘Hi it’s Robbie – whazzup!’ like the Budweiser ad.

I never called him back. I thought: ‘I can’t be loving signing that’.