Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Arc Hammer posted:

Guns at Batasi?

No, it seemed to be set earlier, like 1880-1910. I remember it was in full color and all the women and children were naked or wearing loincloths or something, which added to the horror. The British were wearing the heavy, red wool uniforms of the period. I was only 6 so there’s a distinct but unlikely possibility that I just imagined it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

two wizards at the true peak of magical power dueling for the fate of the world: essentially a laser gun fight

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nigmaetcetera posted:

When I was a kid I saw a movie that traumatized me where British soldiers forced African women and children down a cliff using Maxim guns. Anybody know what movie that might have been? I thought it might have been Zulu but the Wikipedia article on it didn’t mention this specific form of war crime. I’m asking this thread cause y’all are the movie smartest.

That was a documentary

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Wizard 1: I cast Laser
Wizard 2: cool. I cast a spell that changes the fabric of time and space and that attempts to remove you from the timeline
Wizard 2: I cast Laser 2

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

That was a documentary

It had a feel to it like it was definitely based on a real massacre.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jon Irenicus posted:

Wizard 1: I cast Laser
Wizard 2: cool. I cast a spell that changes the fabric of time and space and that attempts to remove you from the timeline
Wizard 2: I cast Laser 2

Lasers are cool and Harry Potter is for kids. Kids like lasers.

You want Dr Strange. He's the hip and cool wizard for TEENS.

And if you're a grown up you can watch Penn and Teller.

Trollologist fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 1, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/generalquixote/status/1498469624911966213

Sunk Dunk posted:

please no more

kingsman
john wick
anything with liam neeson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9ltaTUzs3Q

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

As lame as the Marvel movies are how do you see the Dr. Strange poo poo in Avengers and go yeah we'll just have the most powerful wizards shoot lasers out of their wands.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The ultimate magical showdown, the evil wizard and the good wizard at the height of their power fighting over the future of the world. Two old men in suits frowning at each other in a grey void

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1498318828136288262?s=20&t=aiwQR3waC5Wnf9OhtBJ0Sg

Are they fighting over whether trans rights are human rights?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Blacklight (but not on Liam Neeson's jeans)

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

All you need to know about Young Thug you can learn from this music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9L3j-lVLwk

Pages back but this is maybe the best music video I've ever seen, and I guess it won awards too?

Amazing

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lobsterminator posted:

Are they fighting over whether trans rights are human rights?

don’t think so

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Can the harry potter experts in this thread confirm that dumbledore and mads aren't even gay together anymore because china. I feel like I heard it somewhere and it would be amusingly pathetic if so

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they were never and still have never been gay in the films, it’s JK Rowling retcon bullshit to appear woke. unless I’ve blanked it from my brain, there’s been absolutely zero explicit text in the films about it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Dumbledore is celibate

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Can the harry potter experts in this thread confirm that dumbledore and mads aren't even gay together anymore because china. I feel like I heard it somewhere and it would be amusingly pathetic if so

It's not because China, it's never because China. You get these studios nowadays saying "Oh yeah we'd love to have all kinds of gay stuff, gay superheroes, gay kissing, gays in space, but that drat China won't let us :(" and imo you'd have to be pretty gullible to buy that.

But yes, Dumbledore and Grindelwald aren't gay, they instead made a magical best friends promise when they were teens. I think the far more likely culprits would be people involved in the production being uneasy with showing a major canonically gay character in a wide audience franchise children's movie, or JKRowling herself realizing that it's not just the T in LGBT she's uncomfortable with.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

they were never and still have never been gay in the films, it’s JK Rowling retcon bullshit to appear woke. unless I’ve blanked it from my brain, there’s been absolutely zero explicit text in the films about it

You are correct it's something she came up with afterwards.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

General Dog posted:

Dumbledore is celibate

Maybe he’s just impotent.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Dog posted:

Dumbledore is celibate

Dumbledore is a Cenobite and nobody at Hogwarts can match his fetishe needs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The best part was when she said Hermione could have been black, she had never imagined her as specifically white. And then people turned up multiple instances where she was described as white in the books and an actual drawing of white Hermione Rowling had done.

It's like, drat if you really never thought of this character as specifically white then it's pretty clear what color you consider a default person to be.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Did she really say the sorting hat murders children for being gender nonconforming? :smith:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Shut up about Harry Potter you child molesters/would-be child molesters.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anybody who even once thinks about anything related to Harry Potter after the age of 20 should be put to death.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Mordja posted:

Shut up about Harry Potter you child molesters/would-be child molesters.

I’m pretty sure Harry Potter fans are more likely to be victims than victimizers, they’re just that mentally stunted.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

It's not about harry potter, it's a about britain using leaded gas into the 1990's

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Mordja posted:

Anybody who even once thinks about anything related to Harry Potter after the age of 20 should be put to death.

Better men than you have had me put to death.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

General Dog posted:

Dumbledore is celibate

Also a nevernude

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

priznat posted:

Also a nevernude
there was probably a brief window of opportunity where we could have gotten a harry potter series from the arrested development people

well too late now that AD went bad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Did she really say the sorting hat murders children for being gender nonconforming? :smith:

no

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jon Irenicus posted:

two wizards at the true peak of magical power dueling for the fate of the world: essentially a laser gun fight

This is still the best wizard duel.

https://youtu.be/4cZqRzHnI8s

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Ok good. Hogwarts is lethal enough.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nigmaetcetera posted:

She didn't say the thing about Jewish students either - someone asked her if there were any Jews at Hogwarts and she gave him the name Anthony Goldstein (Ravenclaw). It's why the joke has her giving the Hispanic student such a steorotypical name.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It blows my mind they let the guy who made the worst looking Harry Potter films (and the actual worst one with OOTP) the reins of their entire new franchise. They loving suck!!!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

She didn't say the thing about Jewish students either - someone asked her if there were any Jews at Hogwarts and she gave him the name Anthony Goldstein (Ravenclaw). It's why the joke has her giving the Hispanic student such a steorotypical name.

Yeah but murderous transphobia seems like it’s less inconsistent with her ideology than virulent antisemitism.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Jon Irenicus posted:

now go see the ending to Bakshi's Wizards

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Reminder that the one significant asian student's name is two changed vowels and two added consonants away from Ching Chong

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you don’t have to make up and then post your own racist things you know

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Dabir posted:

Reminder that the one significant asian student's name is two changed vowels and two added consonants away from Ching Chong

Yeah but it wasn’t Ching Chong, it was a normal sounding name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yeah but it wasn’t Ching Chong, it was a normal sounding name.

oh yeah, tons of people actually named Cho Chang. That's like John Smith in China