Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I finally got around to playing Space Empires 4x and it has some interesting ideas, although there is a fair bit of hex-and-counter bookkeeping to do. Its main thing is that the identity and composition of opposing fleets isn't known (until they are encountered) which opens up a whole lot of options with regards to feints, positioning, etc. I've only just started with it but it's interesting so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Eyes Have It posted:

I finally got around to playing Space Empires 4x and it has some interesting ideas, although there is a fair bit of hex-and-counter bookkeeping to do. Its main thing is that the identity and composition of opposing fleets isn't known (until they are encountered) which opens up a whole lot of options with regards to feints, positioning, etc. I've only just started with it but it's interesting so far.
I have only played it a few times and love the concept but winning is kinda lame. You can nuke a level 1 colony in the neutral zone from orbit and get as many VPs as taking out a fully developed colony in someone's home space. I think my issue with it is this bug I get in my eye sometimes where I feel like the the fun part of the game (spaceships fighting) isnt how you win, you can just be a sneaky wanker and win without fighting by sniping other peoples' colonies when they are fighting someone else, and you can get really lucky if you've got big enough balls to just tunnel through the neutral zone blind with a tiny fleet of chaff that can still somehow pack the firepower to turn planets to glass.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
We haven't progressed past just the basic "destroy your opponent's homeworld" scenario (or concede when it's obvious who's going to win) :haw:

It did occur to me that one could try to blaze through unexplored space and hope to be lucky and not run into hazards, but seeing the mix of tiles out there I would not have a lot of confidence in getting through unscathed.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/avalonhill/status/1496203722350903302

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

I'd like to see them do a total reno (heh) of the game but I have a feeling it'll be cosmetic at best. It's remarkable how much people love this goddamn game and who am I to begrudge people having a good time but Lord knows my ratio on enjoying this is something like 1:5

Sloober posted:

i'm mostly ambivalent about the game with the expectation that i'm going to dislike the 'haunt' 3/4 the time in the base game, my group played the legacy version which was not completely terrible, but if there's a game that would benefit from an entire main mechanic rework its definitely that one. For starters, they can toss most of the haunts into the garbage where they belong

Unrelated but i've been almost 100% out of the loop on recent (entire pandemic period) games, has there been a consensus on a good, solid 4p co-op game lately? Been looking to expand a little bit since i've mostly been devoid of buying new stuff since my usual outlet was gen con. My group's pretty capable of handling most, and we've enjoyed games like spirit island (i have spent a lot of money tricking mine out)

Unsure if you've tried them but the Pandemic Legacy games are tremendous (at least Season 1 and 0 are, haven't done 2). The EXIT games are great too for the most part and a nice one and done experience for reasonable price.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 24, 2022

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i'm mostly ambivalent about the game with the expectation that i'm going to dislike the 'haunt' 3/4 the time in the base game, my group played the legacy version which was not completely terrible, but if there's a game that would benefit from an entire main mechanic rework its definitely that one. For starters, they can toss most of the haunts into the garbage where they belong

Unrelated but i've been almost 100% out of the loop on recent (entire pandemic period) games, has there been a consensus on a good, solid 4p co-op game lately? Been looking to expand a little bit since i've mostly been devoid of buying new stuff since my usual outlet was gen con. My group's pretty capable of handling most, and we've enjoyed games like spirit island (i have spent a lot of money tricking mine out)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sloober posted:

For Science! Same designer as SI too.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Eyes Have It posted:

We've been playing this on BGA a lot with the quirk that none of us have read the rules and are just trying to intuit the rules. Combat is baffling so far, you roll dice forever and high or low they both miss.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sloober posted:

It's not that recent, but The City of Kings is a very good 4P co-op game. It's got the RPG leveling and exploration feel of Mage Knight, but with infinitely less cruft and bloat. You can play two 4-player scenarios in an evening, and it comes with both a campaign and some side adventures. It also has a nifty random trait system that means while you'll learn in time how powerful the enemies you'll be fighting will be, you'll never know exactly what they're capable of.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
the haunt where youre all shrunk by a witch and have to flee from the witch's cat inside tiny RC airplanes is the best

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the recommendations. No one talked about Warp's Edge, but I think Under Falling Skies might be better than it from what I'm reading? I watched a video on Warp's Edge and it seems a little too similar to Deep Space D6. Pretty positive I'm going with Aeon's End though.

I think I've told this story before, probably in the 4th Edition thread, but my first time playing Betrayal was amazing. We explored for a decent amount of time, and then found a haunt where a giant bird lifted the house off the ground and there were only half as many parachutes as players to go around. We ran around betraying each other and trying to wrestle parachutes away from each other until the game was over. Very fun, very hectic. Our other games didn't go so well and were too one-sided. Plus the stupid pegs for stats are still the most poorly designed game components I've ever seen, either so tight there was no way to move them without ripping the character card or so loose it was impossible to keep track. There's no way I'm preordering a 3rd edition, but I'll wait and see if they made any actual improvements.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

For Science! Same designer as SI too.

Took a look at that and it looks great, talked to one of my usual game group and they're already planning on buying it now, altho it appears to have just gotten out of kickstarter fulfillment so can't buy it retail yet

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETiKCA1EQsM

For Science! was NPI's board game of the year in 2021, which gets some points with me, but it's aesthetic has a very strong "first edition Sidereal Confluence" vibe that I am not into.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
There are copies at Greyfox games website if you’re in the US - shipping overseas is unfortunately prohibitively expensive otherwise, I’ve been trying to get a copy of it but $40USD shipping to Australia was too much for me.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

For Science! is incredibly fun. When it hit the table we played it repeatedly for almost 2 hours. It was a very enjoyable dexterity puzzle.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Blamestorm posted:

There are copies at Greyfox games website if you’re in the US - shipping overseas is unfortunately prohibitively expensive otherwise, I’ve been trying to get a copy of it but $40USD shipping to Australia was too much for me.

Nah it's out of stock.

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

Sloober posted:

Feels like ages ago, but Jaws of the Lion came out during the pandemic. Still haven’t played it multi myself yet for that very reason.

And Paleo won the Kennerspiel.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I did my last (scheduled) podcast with Game Brain and it's up for listening now. I'll be adding a vlog to my YT channel. The first season for the vlog will be talking with marginalized people about representation in board games plus some solo vlogs on my thoughts regarding various things. For example in a couple of weeks I'll have a vlog on my experiences with Dice Tower West, which I'm attending this week.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mayveena posted:

I did my last (scheduled) podcast with Game Brain and it's up for listening now. I'll be adding a vlog to my YT channel. The first season for the vlog will be talking with marginalized people about representation in board games plus some solo vlogs on my thoughts regarding various things. For example in a couple of weeks I'll have a vlog on my experiences with Dice Tower West, which I'm attending this week.

I've gotten to the point where I was only listening for your episodes, tbh, so I'll definitely listen to this one and consider going forward.

Definitely link those vlogs here, though!!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How's Founders of Gloomhaven? It's on sale at my flgs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
"An interesting mess" was probably the most positive review I remember about it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:toot: First game day of 2022 happening this weekend.

Time to be a traitorous son of a bitch in Nemesis :gritin:

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

I played it 3 times with 3, 3 and 4 players and I quite enjoyed. Nice game flow and the semi cooperativ nature of the roads feels a bit tricky at first and you need a few rounds to get used to it but I would play it again any time.

I also quite enjoy the solo puzzle.

But yeah, it won't be everyones cup of tea and the theme can be a bit hard to get into.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I played it once and I'm pretty sure I won because my factions was brown and no one could tell where my pieces were. It was interesting, with mechanics I haven't seen in any other game and it flowed pretty well, but the visual design is a mess.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Infinitum posted:

:toot: First game day of 2022 happening this weekend.

Time to be a traitorous son of a bitch in Nemesis :gritin:

I do wonder if Nemesis would be a better game if you only used the interesting goals.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It would probably be less interesting if every goal card as "dick over someone/everybody else", as there'd be no reason to trust anyone.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

We played our first in person game of Nemesis Lockdown (after 3 TTS demo runs) and it went about as expected. One guy had incredible luck and got out early only to die to the post game contingency effect (which I believe is one mechanic layer too many in an already busy game). I ruined my exit by not trusting my best friend because he betrayed me the last time we played and had spent the pregame banter bragging about it. I still made it out but died to the contamination check. Everyone else went down in a Benny Hill pile of aliens.

It was fun but messy. The host did offer pure co-op next time but the gang shouted no, they love the paranoia and backstabbing. They left reminiscing about the time in the original game that everyone worked together selflessly and got out alive but one player had betrayed everyone by setting the nav computer to Mars while lying about it, so he was the sole winner.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Selecta84 posted:

I played it 3 times with 3, 3 and 4 players and I quite enjoyed. Nice game flow and the semi cooperativ nature of the roads feels a bit tricky at first and you need a few rounds to get used to it but I would play it again any time.

I also quite enjoy the solo puzzle.

But yeah, it won't be everyones cup of tea and the theme can be a bit hard to get into.

gently caress it, I'm getting it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Infinitum posted:

It would probably be less interesting if every goal card as "dick over someone/everybody else", as there'd be no reason to trust anyone.

Those are the ones I'd take out, the goals like 'Get an Egg' or 'Change the destination' are just 100% better than 'Kill player 2'

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress it, I'm getting it.

Little late - but... I wouldn't? We tried a couple rounds, and it didn't really grab anyone. It seemed like a lot of work/fiddling/rules for a bland game.

Certainly don't get it if the theme of adventuring is important to you, as that doesn't really come through well.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I own a copy but actually still haven't opened it. Just haven't gotten around to it -- too many games, not enough time.

I bought it sight unseen on release, not because of Gloomhaven, but actually because of Forge War which I really really enjoyed.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

quote:

Forge War

Tired: pretending you're adventurers in an adventuring guild

Wired: pretending you're the accountant for an imaginary adventuring guild :haw:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So hmmm, Level 99 is doing a Dead by Daylight game. Which seems a bit weird.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tekopo posted:

So hmmm, Level 99 is doing a Dead by Daylight game. Which seems a bit weird.

....huh

As an exceed season or as its own unique thing?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Well I leave for Dice Tower West tomorrow. I'll be running two sessions of Ark Nova and a session of Bitoku. I'm the old Black lady, not the pretty young Black lady named Candice :)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

....huh

As an exceed season or as its own unique thing?
As it's own standalone game. Just never thought I'd see L99 doing licensed games.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I guess it's surprising the chance slipped out of the hands of the two or three companies who specialize in video-game adaptations, but if it's a money market (and I guess it must be, they keep making them), good job for Level 99 on grabbing a particularly juicy license.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tekopo posted:

As it's own standalone game. Just never thought I'd see L99 doing licensed games.

They've done them plenty of times before, usually just adapting a license to another of their games though.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dead by daylight game ends up sharing its game design skeleton with another future L99 project like Seventh Cross.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

They've done them plenty of times before, usually just adapting a license to another of their games though.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dead by daylight game ends up sharing its game design skeleton with another future L99 project like Seventh Cross.

Seventh Cross was shelved indefinitely. I wonder if it was shelved for this? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, the point is this is not a pre-existing game with attached license, but a bespoke game for that license.