Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, get an easily-accessible tank drain setup ASAP. Mine is plumbed so that i don't even have to bend down, I can just tap the valve open with my foot and then close it again. We're required to drain ours at work daily, and we easily get a cup or more out during the summer when it's swamp-weather out.

I also never leave my home compressor full, I'll drain it when I'm done. Mostly because it's a 19 year old Craftsman that I bought when I moved out to college. I probably should just sell it, because everything is either battery now or fine running off the smaller compressor that I bought for interior finish work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I ordered an automatic compressor drain valve. Yesterday I got maybe ten minutes of "good time" with the blaster before it started clogging immediately every time I would unclog it. Today I drained the little bit of water out of the tank and got about 15 minutes of "good time" out of the compressor. When it is working it can strip a surface pretty drat quick and do a better job than I would ever consider doing by hand with sandpaper.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 15, 2022

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Can I get a needle nose plier recommendation? My Stanley ones that are 10+ years old are a bit unaligned, probably bent and slightly twisted, on the tips and don't have the best grip anymore. Looking for solid mid tier? (not like some titanium $100 tool) choices that will be a step up from what I have.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Suburban Dad posted:

Can I get a needle nose plier recommendation? My Stanley ones that are 10+ years old are a bit unaligned, probably bent and slightly twisted, on the tips and don't have the best grip anymore. Looking for solid mid tier? (not like some titanium $100 tool) choices that will be a step up from what I have.

Knipex hasn't let me down yet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've had good luck and really like the feel of Bahco pliers. They used to be made in Sweden (another posted they are not anymore) but they are still quality pieces.

Bahco is now owned by the Snap-on group and make many of the snap-on branded pliers as well.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Knipex with the dip handles that you can actually wipe down

e: I forgot I was going to ask for ball joint press recommendations for full size truck stuff. Powerbuilt 648617?

Yerok fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 16, 2022

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

StormDrain posted:

Knipex hasn't let me down yet.

Alright you bastards, I'll finally buy something not HF or low tier LowesDepot.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Suburban Dad posted:

Alright you bastards, I'll finally buy something not HF or low tier LowesDepot.

While I don't have any of their (HF) needle nose pliers, I do have their Doyle branded pliers that are ripoffs of Knipex Cobras and so far they're pretty nice (I only found out about them after watching a Project Farm video where they performed quite well).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Man, those vapor blast cabinets that many automotive YouTubers have gotten seem so drat nice. But they are also disgustingly expensive...

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If you say to yourself you don’t need a $200 line flare tool. Stop it and get one. I am done loving around with the cheap ones after using this thing once and getting perfect flares.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BigPaddy posted:

If you say to yourself you don’t need a $200 line flare tool. Stop it and get one. I am done loving around with the cheap ones after using this thing once and getting perfect flares.

Absolutely top of my list if I had a car that needed new brake lines. I'm already on the other side of that job on two cars, surely when I start my next project car I will though.

What brand?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

BigPaddy posted:

I got one of these. Probably not the same brand, but I think they are likely made by one place and rebranded for whatever retailer that wants it. Either way, they are amazing compared to the budget clamp and tighten ones.

Edit: I think Eastwood has one.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It was a generic Amazon one for under $200. I am expecting to have to rerun fuel and brake lines for the Pontiac and dreading flaring the ends and having leaks so bit the bullet. The Eastwood version of the same thing is almost $400 iirc.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I dropped 20-30 bucks on one of these guys: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-24364 and I don't know if I've ever been happier with a tool purchase. Had to flare a bunch of new poo poo for the Nova and had nothing but frustration with the bar clamp style tools. Picked this dude up and banged out like half a dozen perfect flares.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

BigPaddy posted:

I got what looks like the very same one (about €150 at a local store) just few couple days ago and used it yesterday to make a couple of new brake lines. The old cheap tool I used before always caused me trouble since the flares would often come out a bit bent to one side and was just a pain to use in general. This one, perfect flares every time with zero hassle. Even though it's meant to be vise-mounted, at least on 4.75mm (3/16") it's not more force involved than what should be possible to hold with a big pipe wrench or something, if I ever need to flare a line under a car.

Only regret I have buying this is that I didn't think about this sooner, and used lovely flare tools for so long.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its pretty goddam satisfying when you pay an "oh gently caress no" amount of money on a tool, but then the first time you use it, and it works perfectly/you do what you intended to do perfectly, and all of a sudden is "oh gently caress YES"!!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

wesleywillis posted:

Its pretty goddam satisfying when you pay an "oh gently caress no" amount of money on a tool, but then the first time you use it, and it works perfectly/you do what you intended to do perfectly, and all of a sudden is "oh gently caress YES"!!

I want to empytquote this. It’s so true. “Oh, this is the right tool for the job!”

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
One of the upsides of comfortable middle age is that I've reached the age where when I'm contemplating buying some lovely version of something, I remind myself that I can buy "The last X I will ever need to buy" and that makes it much easier for me to drop more money on good things.

Then, someday, insh'allah, my grandkids can be cleaning out my garage and wondering why I have all that crap in there and it can end up in the big dumpster with the rest of my earthly possessions that nobody else wants.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

stealie72 posted:

One of the upsides of comfortable middle age is that I've reached the age where when I'm contemplating buying some lovely version of something, I remind myself that I can buy "The last X I will ever need to buy" and that makes it much easier for me to drop more money on good things.

Then, someday, insh'allah, my grandkids can be cleaning out my garage and wondering why I have all that crap in there and it can end up in the big dumpster with the rest of my earthly possessions that nobody else wants.

I do that too! I smiled at the first paragraph and frowned at te second because I won't even have grandchildren to sift through it all.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Did you all know that thread locker now comes in a chapstick-like tube? It is great. No more spilling blue drops all over the place. I don't know if auto parts stores sell it this way yet, I saw it on Youtube and immediately bought a stick of it on Amazon. I used it on some steering wheel fasteners this morning.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

StormDrain posted:

I do that too! I smiled at the first paragraph and frowned at te second because I won't even have grandchildren to sift through it all.
If it makes you feel any better, my teenaged kids thus far have ZERO interest in ever having kids.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'll never have kids so I guess I should will all my junk to a maker space or something

PBCrunch posted:

Did you all know that thread locker now comes in a chapstick-like tube? It is great.

Seconding this. The glue stick style applicator is great.

Galler fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 1, 2022

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Loctite's got a whole line of sticks. Red or blue locker, teflon thread sealer, anti-seize (both flavors), etc. I really need to pick some up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

PBCrunch posted:

Did you all know that thread locker now comes in a chapstick-like tube? It is great. No more spilling blue drops all over the place. I don't know if auto parts stores sell it this way yet, I saw it on Youtube and immediately bought a stick of it on Amazon. I used it on some steering wheel fasteners this morning.
Yeah, totally. That's the only way I use it now. Been out for several years.... like 10?

Saves forgetting to tighten the cap and leak everywhere too.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Loctite's got a whole line of sticks. Red or blue locker, teflon thread sealer, anti-seize (both flavors), etc. I really need to pick some up.

Yeah, their copper anti-seize stick is nice and thick instead of runny goo. It goes on threads really nicely.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I have had nothing but leaks when using the thread sealant sticks, teflon tape and liquid teflon over that has never leaked for me.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Are you telling me there's a version of anti seize that won't leave me looking like I finger banged the tin man?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

StormDrain posted:

Are you telling me there's a version of anti seize that won't leave me looking like I finger banged the tin man?

I cannot speak to the potential neutralization of the seemingly magical ability of anti-seize to get absolutely loving everywhere as soon as the jar is opened.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

StormDrain posted:

Yes. It has its drawbacks though. its consistency is more like margarine, so application to things that aren't threaded fasteners can be difficult.

The main example I can think of is motor shaft key slots.

EDIT: the same applies to the threadlock. it doesn't wick, at all.

MRC48B fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 2, 2022

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SpeedFreek posted:

I have had nothing but leaks when using the thread sealant sticks, teflon tape and liquid teflon over that has never leaked for me.

no tape on fuel or oil connections

i just use the liquid on everything now, and havent had a problem yet

good to know that the chapstick sucks; i was thinking about trying it out and now i dont have to

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Raluek posted:

no tape on fuel or oil connections

i just use the liquid on everything now, and havent had a problem yet

good to know that the chapstick sucks; i was thinking about trying it out and now i dont have to

I thought you could use the yellow tape?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cat Hatter posted:

I thought you could use the yellow tape?

yellow tape will survive the fuel, but the risk, like in the oil, is that the little strings/fragments will end up somewhere they shouldnt. in the case of fuel, probably the needle/seat. like, its probably fine, but i dont trust it not to cause problems. pretty much just for water and air, imo

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Raluek posted:

Hey, the sealant chapstick might kinda suck for someone used to the liquid, but the anti-seize is godlike imo. I first encountered it in like 2009 and never looked back.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yellow tape is specifically known as petro tape. But the generic problem with sealing tape on threads in general is like Raluek said - contamination.

It's especially bad on hydraulics with NPT connections (or any thread sealing connections for that matter). Minuscule tape bits getting into servo valves and other hydraulics with super tight tolerances gets very, very expensive. Thankfully, thread connections are almost a thing of the past with most connections and moving to JIC and flat face seals.

Doesn't stop some people from using tape on connections that don't even seal on the threads though :haw:

And the sticks are fine, I've been using them for years and many of my major industrial clients won't use anything but in their MRO or even OEM assemblies.

I can't speak to why people would have problems with them other than the regular reasons.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Kinda tool related... but yard tools.

A single lady I know wants a blower for dealing with snow/leaves in her yard.

She was recommended a Stihl, which is (I believe) a 2 stroke. She's not helpless, BUT, mixing oil, trouble shooting, fouled plugs probably is something to avoid. She doesn't like 4-stroke lawnmowers.

Are there any good cordless units that can be recommended? I see Milwaukee does an M18 but no idea if its any good or not.

Or is the Stihl awesome and shouldn't be worried about it? I haven't had a 2-stroke anything in YEARS but I do remember it being a bit of a pain in the rear end when I had a weed eater.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

She was recommended a Stihl, which is (I believe) a 2 stroke. She's not helpless, BUT, mixing oil, trouble shooting, fouled plugs probably is something to avoid. She doesn't like 4-stroke lawnmowers.

Are there any good cordless units that can be recommended? I see Milwaukee does an M18 but no idea if its any good or not.

Or is the Stihl awesome and shouldn't be worried about it? I haven't had a 2-stroke anything in YEARS but I do remember it being a bit of a pain in the rear end when I had a weed eater.

How big of a yard? Does she already have anything with a battery system?

The DeWalt one I have (bigger of the two) is fine, but it rips right on through 5AH batteries in like 5 or 6 minutes.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

slidebite posted:

I have an EGO blower that I really like, and I bought it without a battery, I just let it share the little 2.5AH one from my string trimmer, and I charge it every few mows is all. Meaning I use the same battery to trim the yard and then clean up. I just use it to blow the trimmings back into the yard, clear out the driveway of pine needles, and blow off the dirt from the front porch, generally on a medium setting but using the TURBO Mode when I need. When it came time to blow the leafs I used the bigger 7.5AH battery from the mower and got through quite a bit before I ran out, using a lot of turbo blasting, then used the smaller one to finish up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not big, half a duplex. Biggest battery killer would probably be if she tried to use it for clearing her driveway of snow.

Driveway is, oh, 15'ish wide x 20' long? Not huge.

Some mature trees in the back yard though.
No battery ecosystem she's tied to.

Every other electric tool she has is 120V

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Not big, half a duplex. Biggest battery killer would probably be if she tried to use it for clearing her driveway of snow.

Driveway is, oh, 15'ish wide x 20' long? Not huge.

Some mature trees in the back yard though.
No battery ecosystem she's tied to.

Every other electric tool she has is 120V

The big ego seems to be the best reviewed right now and there's a pretty good sale on it: https://www.amazon.com/EGO-Power-LB...aps%2C83&sr=8-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
The Milwaukee leaf blower I have would not be recommended. I got it free with the weedwacker, but if I paid for it, I would have taken it back.
Its perfectly ok for my kids to play with, but i would say its half as powerful as the electric toro i have.
It also doesn't have a restrictor or anything to funnel the wind down.

If they are ok with 120v, i bet that would be better - you can probably find a used one someone is "trading up" to a battery.
Also lets them discover what they like/dislike to blow.