Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

dialhforhero posted:

8T-88 is definitely not a lazy droid name.

Good thing 13-37 came along to show everyone what a really lazy Droid name looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Going to make a droid you can gently caress and name it FM3-69

Gonna design another one that does everything to maximize your enjoyment of smoking weed and call it W33D-420.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Gonna pal around with my astromech buddy Ar Four Two Oh

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Cartoon Man posted:

Sweet sweet neck pain

oh man, i remember playing this exact thing with my dad forever ago. it was super mario world though, one of the cave levels where you have to get through a bunch of those spinning yellow blocks

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Some more 90s music concentrate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY5Ejus6kgc

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

I mean, if you want to get nerdy, that's what the R4's are pretty much for. They're not flight Astromechs like the others, they're garage buddies for people who just want something that can help fix an old land or airspeeder for a home project. And with that tall conical head you know they gotta be able to make a sweet integrated bong.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Okay so help me fit one in my kia

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

You jest, but I always wanted an astromech buddy to pal around with

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

I'm not jesting, it would be The Best! Having a little buddy to take care of the tolls on the Kennedy for you, or holding your purse and tossing you your lipstick like launching a lightsaber handle from their dome? Have your own movie projector buddy? Hell yeah. it'd be great. The only hard part of the whole fiasco would be picking out the best colour scheme. Or do they pick it out themselves?

When i was a dumb kid in the 90s i convinced myself that an artoo that spoke actual words would be the way to go, but then i read one of those awful eu books where there was just such a thing and good lord it was stupid.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"OH NO, 69-4U, you launched my MAGNUM CONDOMS for my MASSIVE DONG everywhere!"
*tweeee-trooooooooooo*

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

little bumper sticker on the back of their dome reads: My Other Ride Is Your Protocol Droid

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I mean, if you want to get nerdy, that's what the R4's are pretty much for. They're not flight Astromechs like the others, they're garage buddies for people who just want something that can help fix an old land or airspeeder for a home project. And with that tall conical head you know they gotta be able to make a sweet integrated bong.

Nah dude, put a balloon on that poo poo, make it a volcano vape.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cartoon Man posted:

Sweet sweet neck pain

I think I had that shirt

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think I had that shirt

We all did, that's a Gecko Hawaii poo poo (how did I remember that?)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/GuGTTHq.mp4
Bonus sound

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:lol:

I held out on getting a smart phone until 2014, so I was definitely using MapQuest until at least then. Let me tell you driving from Kansas to Maryland was interesting using that method.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
My approach was to rewrite the MapQuest directions (using fantastically obtuse shorthand) on a post-it note which I would then stick onto the center of the steering wheel :classiclol:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Distracted driving was legal back then, and therefore not a problem what so ever.

Also, driving while smoking weed. Because they couldn't test you for it.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I hated being the mapquest reader/co pilot as a kid :smith:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I loved being able to read a Road Map of yore. I was proud to get my family to grandma’s house without a hitch or find the detour or scenic route. :3:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
AAA triptik was the thing we used through the 90s. Preprinted pages bound into a comb bound booklet. Then a highlighter and stamps to show the route and known construction projects along the way. You can get a PDF simulation of the booklet on their site.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

AAA triptik was the thing we used through the 90s. Preprinted pages bound into a comb bound booklet. Then a highlighter and stamps to show the route and known construction projects along the way. You can get a PDF simulation of the booklet on their site.

I drove my fully packed Geo Tracker from Boston to Tahoe in 1993, using triptiks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar
I would go to the library and photocopy pages out of the local street directory and then go over my route with a highlighter.

To this day, I will still use printouts from google maps if I'm going somewhere really far out of my way.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Iron Crowned posted:

We all did, that's a Gecko Hawaii poo poo (how did I remember that?)

because they were very popular!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Map Quest was for people in countries with sane grid systems and not a country with twisting country roads where the boomers (even when in their 40s) refused to use the real name of a location, and instead preferd to use the old one they were taught when they were 5. Kids these days should treasure their googles and their Internets just for the ease of navigation.

"Is this the right way to Settling upon Twine?" "Aye sure, go left at the old barn* and carry on till you see the dog and duck**"

*Barn demolished in 1973 and now a spar
** Dog and duck renamed in 1957 to The farmer's boots

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Driving to somewhere I’ve never been to while fiddling with my iPod and reading Mapquest directions and lighting a smoke-it’s a minor miracle I’m still alive

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I hated being the mapquest reader/co pilot as a kid :smith:

aw, it was the best! except i also fall asleep in the passenger seat so it meant i got woken up a lot.

i don't ever use a Real Map anymore in a car, but i'll always scope out the route for a while on google maps in the days before we head out on a long trip.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

learnincurve posted:

Map Quest was for people in countries with sane grid systems and not a country with twisting country roads where the boomers (even when in their 40s) refused to use the real name of a location, and instead preferd to use the old one they were taught when they were 5. Kids these days should treasure their googles and their Internets just for the ease of navigation.

"Is this the right way to Settling upon Twine?" "Aye sure, go left at the old barn* and carry on till you see the dog and duck**"

Don't worry, the newer England over here in the US does that too. 128 has been interstate 95 for the vast majority of my life, but people refuse to adapt, to the point that they had to re-sign parts of 95 to also be 128 because people were getting lost from old Bostonians giving directions.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

learnincurve posted:

Despite the existence of up to date GPS systems on a device that you can carry in your pocket, this is still a regular conversation I have to have with my dad

"What's the address for where we're going?"
"Do you know where *landmark* is?"
"No"
"Well when you get to *landmark* take a left, keep going straight for 3 miles, then take a right down *road I've never heard of*"
"What's the address?"
"Then keep going for about 4 miles until you pass *restaurant that closed in 1992*, take a left, and you're right there"
"Sure great. What's the address"

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Neito posted:

Don't worry, the newer England over here in the US does that too. 128 has been interstate 95 for the vast majority of my life, but people refuse to adapt, to the point that they had to re-sign parts of 95 to also be 128 because people were getting lost from old Bostonians giving directions.

I've definitely seen interstates be dual-signed like this before when they were built on the routes of existing state/US routes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mactheknife posted:

I've definitely seen interstates be dual-signed like this before when they were built on the routes of existing state/US routes

I've seen 3 and 4 signs, but that seems to be more related to a interstates temporarily merging through some areas.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

mactheknife posted:

Yeah, but the 128 signs were actually removed for a few years, then put back up.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Neito posted:

Yeah, but the 128 signs were actually removed for a few years, then put back up.

that is different and extremely funny

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

mactheknife posted:

that is different and extremely funny

Boston is the most stubborn city in the country at times.

The funny part is why 95 and 128 have to coexist on the same stretch of highway, which involves a whole lot of "The federal government loving up Dorchester and Southie with 93 and Roxbury and Sommerville refusing to roll over for that", which is now memorialized by a mural on the back wall of the Micro Center in Cambridge, because of course it is.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Boston has nothing on the ongoing war between speed cameras and the french

Just decades of vandalism that started with people taking chainsaws to poles/drilling a hole to fill them with builders expanding foam and now they look like this

Round 47 has begun
https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fre...em-out-of-order

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

learnincurve posted:

Boston has nothing on the ongoing war between speed cameras and the french

Just decades of vandalism that started with people taking chainsaws to poles/drilling a hole to fill them with builders expanding foam and now they look like this

Round 47 has begun
https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fre...em-out-of-order

A can of spraypaint seems like it'd take care of that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ugh, I've had Take A Picture by Filter in my head last couple days

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A can of spraypaint seems like it'd take care of that.

yeah i was gonna say, it still needs a lens. how do they design around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

yeah i was gonna say, it still needs a lens. how do they design around that.

Anti-graffiti coatings exist. They go on clear enough to not interfere with a traffic cam. Spray paint just runs off.