Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia want to split Ukraine into three districts. Novorussia. The lviv confederation and the Kyiv Republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I assume the biggest effect of Ukraine formally associating with the EU like that is more long-term and political, rather than something that'll help the military situation in the here and now. It'll affect their bargaining posture in negotiations if they have some degree of EU recognition and support, and may help with post-war questions like rebuilding and stabilizing the economy.

It's less dramatic than transfers of missiles, but it may be just as important for blocking attempts to institute regime change in Ukraine. Unless Russia intends to militarily occupy and prop up a pro-Russian regime forever, the political gravity of Ukraine will keep pulling them toward Europe and away from Russia.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Itsfreeweaponry.png

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1498708463098204162?t=aXhu5gMpRdG3EcmChNtD3w&s=19

Translation according to comments is "Thanks for the free rpgs"

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Djarum posted:

I would be very surprised if Ukraine's are not being controlled via satellite with the operators out of theater right now. That seems like something that the US or UK would have assisted with awhile ago quietly. It would also explain why they are still operating.

Color yourself surprised, because you can look at a Ukrainian TB2 and tell that it is not satellite operated

Ukrainian TB2

Satellite operated TB2

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

It was basically impossible for anyone but the worst pariah to vote against the recommendation for them to be a candidate today. That will not be true in 5 or 10 or 20 years or whenever it comes time for it to actually be decided.

KitConstantine posted:

Itsfreeweaponry.png

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1498708463098204162?t=aXhu5gMpRdG3EcmChNtD3w&s=19

Translation according to comments is "Thanks for the free rpgs"

What's the blue armbands mean? Haven't seen those before

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The integration process can take a long time even after they're accepted as they try to meet what ever the requirements are. It's all just part of doing every single thing that Russia will be upset about because they've burned all their bridges

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

NG has a circulation of about 90k people according to Wikipedia. That’s decently large - NYT, for the US, which has twice the population, is about 370k - but it’s extremely hard to tell from here (China) how much ability it has to change the opinions of the general populace. Most likely that will be based on who reads it, internalises it and shares those views.

(Also side note, we get weird ideas out here about what’s influential because influencers need like ten million subs to be even on the radar.)
They are a niche opposition newspaper, so normally they have close to zero influence. If they were popular, they would get an offer they can't refuse replacing the entire editorial staff. Under the circumstances there is a chance that more people than usual might try to read it, though.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russia want to split Ukraine into three districts. Novorussia. The lviv confederation and the Kyiv Republic.

Coming out of Putin's discussion with Macron yesterday, he additionally demands recognition of Crimea's independence.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Holy poo poo. Someone was filming the exact moment a tank fired on his building - northwest suburb of Kyiv

Warning: the guy seems unhurt and the video just shows property damage, but yeah firing on a residential building in the middle of the day

:nms:
https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1498706479058235392?t=qt4metjKu-HO3Wm8_hidAQ&s=19

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

TheRat posted:

Probably the same thing as the yellow ones, or similar enough given they are the flag colors.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

jettisonedstuff posted:

What do you think is on those trucks if not fuel and food?

Those trucks arent moving. a 40KM traffic jam needs days to untangle. They arent useful if they arent at the front.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Liquid Chicken posted:

:nms:https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/28/europe/gallery/ukraine-girl-killed/index.html:nms:

'Show this to Putin': A 6-year-old girl killed in Ukraine.

"Editor's note: This gallery contains graphic images. Viewer discretion is advised.

A wounded 6-year-old girl arrived at a hospital in Mariupol, Ukraine, on Sunday.

Her mother wept outside the ambulance. Her father was at her side, covered in blood.

The family was at a supermarket on the outskirts of the southeastern port city when Russian shelling started, according to the Associated Press."

As a father of two little girls, this is the hardest thing I've seen. World needs to bare witness to this - needs to be shoved in Putin's face as well as all Russians to see what's going on.

Saw a video of this on Euronews or DW while ago and run into longer version of it today. It's some rough poo poo, having girl and 3 boys that are a similar age.

Was listening Euronews or DW today while shopping and there was about Belarus soldiers crossing the Ukrainian border, is there confirmation other news about that?

KitConstantine posted:

Holy poo poo. Someone was filming the exact moment a tank fired on his building - northwest suburb of Kyiv

Warning: the guy seems unhurt and the video just shows property damage, but yeah firing on a residential building in the middle of the day

https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1498706479058235392?t=qt4metjKu-HO3Wm8_hidAQ&s=19

"Whoops, got shot by tank, guess I should un-zoom and change position to get a better view." Man that guy has balls of steel. :eyepop:

Captain Kosmos fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 1, 2022

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

KitConstantine posted:

goddam you can see the shell graze a roof or something below before impacting the building

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TheRat posted:

It was basically impossible for anyone but the worst pariah to vote against the recommendation for them to be a candidate today. That will not be true in 5 or 10 or 20 years or whenever it comes time for it to actually be decided.

Ukrainian friend-or-foe armbands, recent appearance.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/SashaIngber/status/1498703049245790214

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Big deal: more high profile Russians speaking out against Putin's internal disinformation campaign

https://twitter.com/ichbinilya/status/1498633863114936321?t=_DXseX5bjpnmSgPv94d8qA&s=19

Original post in Russian is one down the thread

Plane posters confirm, but this also sounds like a big deal - evidence that an Su-34 was shot down in Ukraine

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1498712543870791682?t=VcZ5ZulWdpXe3ITbm5YicA&s=19

This is another weapons tracker account that has been pretty scrupulous about sourcing, btw

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

OctaMurk posted:

Color yourself surprised, because you can look at a Ukrainian TB2 and tell that it is not satellite operated

Ukrainian TB2

Satellite operated TB2

Well to be fair if the US or UK did help with any sort of satellite operation with the Ukrainian drones it would likely be a state secret and not shown off publicly. It could be something like a satellite relay as well, which considering if you wanted to keep it quiet would be a good way to do it.

It will be very interesting in the future to find out what exactly was done to assist the Ukrainians.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
If there is something more moral crushing in the army than running out of food, it's running out of cigarettes.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Charlotte Hornets posted:

If there is something more moral crushing in the army than running out of food, it's running out of cigarettes.

US army food is evidence enough that bad food is better than no food.

Running out of coffee, chewing tobacco, or cigarettes though, that’s a fast way to get absolutely nothing done.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

KitConstantine posted:

Big deal: more high profile Russians speaking out against Putin's internal disinformation campaign

https://twitter.com/ichbinilya/status/1498633863114936321?t=_DXseX5bjpnmSgPv94d8qA&s=19

Original post in Russian is one down the thread

Plane posters confirm, but this also sounds like a big deal - evidence that an Su-34 was shot down in Ukraine

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1498712543870791682?t=VcZ5ZulWdpXe3ITbm5YicA&s=19

This is another weapons tracker account that has been pretty scrupulous about sourcing, btw

It certainly matches the look of a Su-34. It looks to be from the underside of a wing. Which a hit there from let's say AA guns or a smaller missile might not take it down since it is a outer part of the wing. Unless we see more bits from elsewhere I'd say the evidence is inconclusive for a shoot down. The fact that it is in theater and getting hit means that the Russians are getting desperate since they do not have many Su-34s and generally only use them in very safe situations.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1498698484450578438

Looks like it was a direct hit on the TV tower, wonder what they were trying to hit?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Djarum posted:

It certainly matches the look of a Su-34. It looks to be from the underside of a wing. Which a hit there from let's say AA guns or a smaller missile might not take it down since it is a outer part of the wing. Unless we see more bits from elsewhere I'd say the evidence is inconclusive for a shoot down. The fact that it is in theater and getting hit means that the Russians are getting desperate since they do not have many Su-34s and generally only use them in very safe situations.

Doesn't super matter if it's a shoot down, thats a jet thats likely no longer going to be able to operate until its repaired.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

OctaMurk posted:

Ukrainian TB2

Satellite operated TB2

me, nodding my head very stupidly

Mhm, bird.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Captain Kosmos posted:

Looks like it was a direct hit on the TV tower, wonder what they were trying to hit?

They announced earlier today that they were taking out "communications and propaganda" or something like that, so they were probably aiming for the TV station.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Djarum posted:

Explain? Why is this a bigger deal than any other plane?

Sometimes this thread seems to assume we all know all thr acronyms.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Kosmos posted:

My bet, the TV tower. With the populace being armed, disrupting the government's communication with them could be a strategic goal.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Captain Kosmos posted:

The TV tower most likely, Like in a coup, in an invasion media control is important.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's newer and more expensive and they only have like 130 of them, but it's hardly a PAK FA

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I am hearing a lot of cautiously good chatter. US DoD saying 80% of Putin's invasion army is now inside Ukraine, but Ukraine defense still holding. Russian troops are showing noted risk avoidance behavior.

There are also credible reports that Russian troops in numbers are surrendering to UA forces, and that the Russians inside Ukraine are starting to exhaust their 8 year old MREs and run out of food.

Of course, FoW applies.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Apologies for POW chat, but it sounds like the fact that those videos are going out is the only way families in Russia are getting any information.

https://www.svoboda.org/a/v-voenkomate-skazali-eto-feyk-intervjyu-s-bratom-plennogo/31730440.html

Machine translated excerpt

from the article posted:

- Were you allowed to talk?

- Yes, mom talked to him, because they called mom, they told him that only mom can be called.

- What he says? Is he treated well?

- Well, yes, they feed, they don’t seem to offend.

- And what do they tell you in Russia, in the military registration and enlistment office?

-That's the thing, nothing. The fact that he was in captivity, we learned simply from the Internet. Someone wrote to Daniil's friend on WhatsApp, this friend called me, I met him, he showed me this video, where Daniil is blindfolded. A friend at first did not believe that it was him, but we know him, you can immediately recognize him by his lips, we immediately recognized him. And then, in the late afternoon, we got a call on whatsapp from Ukraine. No one from the unit ever got in touch with us. In the military enlistment office they don't know anything at all. Yesterday morning we went to the prosecutor's office and wrote a statement. Then we went to the military prosecutor's office in Vologda, where they also wrote a statement. Daniil's girlfriend lives in Vologda, she went to the military commissariat. There, I don’t know how to put it mildly, some inadequate people, they translate everything into “ha-ha”, like it’s all fake, don’t believe it. We prove to them that we saw everything ourselves, that we talked with him, but they don’t know this. We understand the seriousness, but they translate everything into a "fool". At the military commissariat they simply turned us back, there was nothing to do there, so we went to the military prosecutor's office. There, one person can go in, my mother came in, showed everything, told me, photos, videos

- The people who called you from Ukraine, did they offer any options, to come and pick him up?

- They have only one condition, they wrote: "Everyone go out to protest against the authorities, against the war, with posters to stop the war."

- The fact that he ended up in Ukraine did not surprise you?

- Yes, how not surprised, of course surprised. We already have a lot of information. We learned that we have a lot of conscripts in the Vologda Oblast. And in captivity, and ... well, in general, there. The mothers of the same guys, who are from the same place, from Kharkov, are slowly contacting us. Written by a woman. It was like this for them: they reached the border with Ukraine and waited for an order. Either forward, into battle, or back, retreat. And they were given the command "to fight." And they all went. Danila allegedly surrendered to me. She says: "Because of this, you have him alive, say thank you. Those who did not go on the offensive are in touch and alive and well."

- "From Kharkov" means that this happened near Kharkov?

- Yes.

- Were there dead?

- Daniil told us that they put everyone there, there were no survivors at all. Of his company, he was the only one left alive.

What can be done to help him now? What do you expect from the authorities?

I do n't know, we're thinking. We can’t get in touch with the unit at all and are already thinking of going there, to Naro-Fominsk.

Just a desperately sad situation

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

A question occurs to me after seeing that huge Russian column of vehicles make next to no progress today is, how long do you think Russia's supplies of fuel and food last?

At what point can we say, if the Russian dont start to make gains in Ukraine, they are in trouble?

How long would it take Russia to re-supply its army in Ukraine if they start running out of supplies?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

NPR has announced that NATO does not find it necessary to raise their nuclear preparedness levels in response to Putin's sabre rattling on Sunday. They do not deem it a threat.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Not going to link it, but several people, what looks to be a family, were instantly incinerated by one of the rockets they fired at the TV tower.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

StarBegotten posted:

A question occurs to me after seeing that huge Russian column of vehicles make next to no progress today is, how long do you think Russia's supplies of fuel and food last?

At what point can we say, if the Russian dont start to make gains in Ukraine, they are in trouble?

How long would it take Russia to re-supply its army in Ukraine if they start running out of supplies?

The problem is not going to be stockpiles, they've spent months moving stuff into position for this. The issue is how much throughput they have from the stockpiles to the frontline.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sometimes this thread seems to assume we all know all thr acronyms.

It's also a bit more focused on air to ground stuff than some of the other planes (if the Su-25 if the Russian equivalent of an A-10 then the Su-34 could be compared to an F-15E Strike Eagle). Flies fast, carries a lot of bombs, has more armor around the cockpit, and has a "toilet" (or at least a hand held urinal of sorts).

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

FishBulbia posted:

The TV tower most likely, Like in a coup, in an invasion media control is important.

NATO bombed almost every radio and tv tower in Serbia back in 1999. My grandparents lived near one and saw it blow up during the campaign. It's a common practice both to try and gently caress with state media and to eliminate any possible tools used for command and control.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Alchenar posted:

The problem is not going to be stockpiles, they've spent months moving stuff into position for this. The issue is how much throughput they have from the stockpiles to the frontline.

This. It's all about logistics. War is basically just a logistics puzzle game.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Captain Kosmos posted:

A tower built like that is pretty hard to topple with traditional ordnance. A large majority of the explosive force simply gets dispersed into thin air. It would need a direct on something load bearing to go down.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russia tightening up media even further

https://twitter.com/EilishHart/status/1498717987779579908?t=Wri-kgdF4dRiw7skySmJWA&s=19

Some detail on the stations:

https://twitter.com/ylitvinenko/status/1498717415286489088?t=dHZpcgFV06PzCv5pQDnQ3g&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Calibanibal posted:

This. It's all about logistics. War is basically just a logistics puzzle game.

Given what some posters said way back about Putin's distaste for domestic politics I'm going to hazard a guess that little things like logistics and encrypted radio channels don't fit into his big board game calculus.
I doubt he understands how anything works.