Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ulvir posted:

at what point in the game should I start looking for something other than the meteorite staff? I have just barely beat Margit now, for reference

I'm still using it and going into the endgame. There are some competitive options after the second legacy dungeon once upgraded, especially if you're not using gravity spells. But personally I feel like meteorite staff seems good enough and you can use the upgrade materials on other things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sorry friend, i already gave up on magic. Big Sword is best friend now.

Why choose one or the other? Big Int Sword is my friend

e:

ulvir posted:

at what point in the game should I start looking for something other than the meteorite staff? I have just barely beat Margit now, for reference

Its gimmick is that it can't be upgraded, so it's mostly about how many smithstones you can get your hands on and are willing to invest. From what I've read, the strong 50+ int staffs start to beat it out around +6 to +7, but the basic low level staffs seem to not overtake it until ~+12-+16ish.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 1, 2022

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Iymarra posted:

Pages ago but can someone point me to this please?

They're scattered about the world, but if you can make it up to the western ridge of liurnia, sort of northish of the academy, I found one there.

Also the detour around the dectus lift you'll find a few singing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Southern Liurnia boss spoilers: oh hey, they put Capra Demon in this game!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
(mid-late yellow story boss spoiler)

So they put Godfrey in the game to make you feel like you're good and there's hope and then the next boss is there to remind you you're terrible and there's no hope. My Bloodhound Greatsword is starting to fail me here I just cannot get an attack in.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Iymarra posted:

Pages ago but can someone point me to this please?

They're a basic enemy, though not one that shows up frequently. You can find one encounter by running around the southern cliffs of Limgrave.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I saw you can get banished knight halberd off a quest line - is there a way to get the shield? Looks way better than the Kite shield and I’m not really in the mood to farm them all until it drops

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Deki posted:

So uh, what's the deal with the creepy paraplegic mage children in the first phase of the second rune boss?

Is it just meant to be heavily unsettling, or is there a greater lore significance behind them and their "mother"?

the younglings!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No Wave posted:

(mid-late yellow story boss spoiler)

So they put Godfrey in the game to make you feel like you're good and there's hope and then the next boss is there to remind you you're terrible and there's no hope. My Bloodhound Greatsword is starting to fail me here I just cannot get an attack in.

When this boss didn't have a second phase I knew it was supposed to be an amuse bouche to make you feel accomplished.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Funso Banjo posted:

Does Torrent's double jump let you drop huge distances and then jump 6 feet from the bottom to survive?

It doesnt seem to impact fall damage in any way.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I love how these weird Japanese games based on poorly understood books of mythology are somehow also an amazing representation of regional British accents. I got such a kick out of Eileen the Crow and her slightly congested South Yorkshire voice.

I’m pretty sure they’re using the same British based VA studio as Final Fantasy FXIV cause I immediately recognized Melina and Margit’s voices from characters they played in FFXIV.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

J posted:

For those of you doing a mix of melee and spellcasting, there is a nifty talisman from the boss located in (area name and location) the black knife catacombs, which is in the very northeast bit of Liurnia. What it does: Restores FP on crits. So any riposte, posture break crit, backstab, etc it restores FP. Felt like about maybe 10 to 15ish FP restored on crits? I'm at work so can't get an exact number.

This is the catacomb with the skeletons kicking my rear end isn’t it

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

the battle with the crucible knight continues today. i have to learn how to parry better and i will own his rear end. i really, really hate this video game boss.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If I wanted to look for something weird allegedly hidden beneath Stormveil Castle, where in the castle should I start from?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/1498690334242578432?s=20&t=fZkohAD4ke0LWOo8GgF_-w

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It burns

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ice Fist posted:

As is tradition (for me) in EldenSoulsBournekiro games I will be posting my "# of attempts to solo clear bosses". There's alot of "bosses" in this game so I'm only posting GREAT ENEMY kills unless something really sticks out as difficult or interesting. Using spoiler tags just in case. In case I reach Nameless King/Ebrietus territory I'm just going to use >20, because whose counting past 20?

1. Flying Dragon Agheel (5) - Rode around on Torrent. Took a few tries to get used to avoided his one hit kill attacks, but he was pretty simple.
2. Margit Fell Omen (>20) - Jesus gently caress. Welcome back to From Soft games 'ole chap. This guy hosed me hard. When I finally beat him it was basically a near thing, could have gone either way. It helped to use the wolves, which if nothing else filled his posture meter and gave me a free crit. I think it would have been slightly easier if I had put more points into vitality earlier. Either way, when it comes to first major bosses in these series I think this guy takes the cake.

I've been avoiding the thread to prevent being spoilered on most things, although that hasn't stopped me from spoiling myself when I don't want to deal with the usual Fromsoft obtuseness re: story points. So it's been a while and I've fought a bunch more bosses.

3. Godrick the Grafted (1) - First try, caveat being that I did this fight as a summon a few times ahead of my own attempt helping a friend and I also used the NPC summon because I thought using the summon might be dependent on continuing their story. As what is probably intended to be the next chronological boss following Margit this is a nice change of pace. Strong boss with exploitable openings, unlike Margit who is uber aggressive and has almost no openings and the ones he does have are real short Patches item notwithstanding.
4. Lacerated Tree Spirit x2 (5) - This fucker. gently caress. It didn't take alot of tries, but this is an easy one to gently caress up. The explosion he does got me more times than anything else. Also one of the worst bosses in Fromsoft history related to camera movement.
5. Deathbird (4) - Most enemies are basically trivialized if you can bring Torrent to the fight. I'm positively certain that this is the case here, but this fight was still not easy. Plenty of openings but maneuvering around the black fire makes things tricky and he's real good at knocking you off Torrent if you gently caress up
6. Glintstone Dragon Smarag (1) - Like I mentioned above, Torrent makes fights like this super easy.
7. Red Wolf of Radagon (1) - Cool boss. Not terribly difficult though. What's fun is I co-oped this afterwards a few times and a bunch of people got one shot by the wolf right out of the gate.

Think that basically catches me up to where I am. Still in the middle of the academy when I had to stop for work.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Deviant posted:

So now that I can respec, I'm currently at this:

And I think I can do better.

I'm thinking 20 vigor, 20 mind, 20 end, 12STR/18DEX (for moonveil), dump the rest into int to get to 60 for Rennala's Staff

Thoughts? I'm between that or 16STR for dark moon greatsword later.

FROM stuff works on soft caps, which someone did a guide up for Elden Ring here.

In short get your fighty stat(s) of choice to twenty, then vigor to 40, endurance to 25 and back to finishing fight stats. I guess mind too in your case.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

It burns

You don't think he's valkyrie material?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

skasion posted:

If I wanted to look for something weird allegedly hidden beneath Stormveil Castle, where in the castle should I start from?

Secluded cell grace. Somewhere around where you fight the giant walking pot people

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

FishMcCool posted:

I'm using an xbox elite (series 2) in bluetooth mode here, it worked as usual. It's a bit freakish if Steam recognises your controller but the game doesn't use it. Rare cases where I had issues before were all resolved by switching off Steam input and falling back to Xinput (I think?). That sorted out a weird occasional buggy input I had in Redout which made it unplayable (randomly triggering the "look behind" camera, like when approaching a corner...). But I presume that's the first thing you tried?

Controller is recognized by steam and when I press the xbox button in game it opens up the xbox menu. I've got the Series 1 elite controller. Maybe that's the issue? I don't use any third party controller programs other than the Razer one for my keypad.

I might just have to use mouse and keyboard for the game.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I watched videos that show every spell and incantation and poo poo is loving insane. The poo poo makes glintstone pebble look like... well, a pebble.

I think that early sorcery is brutal but later on it is looking like these spells are really good. The pebble just happens to be very powerful. Carian slicer is very strong too.

Spells are extremely fun and look great.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So this flask of wondrous physick (which I found after 45 hours). Has an option that lets you sacrificial twig on demand. This is insane. You'll never have strand your souls in an unbeatable boss again.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Secluded cell grace. Somewhere around where you fight the giant walking pot people

Huh, don’t think I’ve seen any potmen at Stormveil yet. I’m guessing I should be looking past Godric’s arena? Jeez this place is huge.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Gamerofthegame posted:

FROM stuff works on soft caps, which someone did a guide up for Elden Ring here.

In short get your fighty stat(s) of choice to twenty, then vigor to 40, endurance to 25 and back to finishing fight stats. I guess mind too in your case.

so according to this, leveling int past 50 isn't worth doing?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Did some exploring during lunch, heading north of the academy. Ended up discovering the Ravine and further into it some mine/vertical dungeon. I made it to the boss right as lunch ended so it’ll have to wait but I threw my sign to get a sneak peek at it. :lol: it’s like a lava salamander with a sword? Hell yeah.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Has it bern worked out which summons are best other than Lady Jellyfish? I got the Ancient Archer guy from the River and he can solo just about everything as his bow has autoaim but been considering getting FP up for Oleg or Headless Lady but dont know if worth it.

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
Radahn as pure melee wasn't that bad. Didn't even use the horse. As long as you keep refreshing your backup you can sort of follow old giant boss tradition of staying directly under him and rolling through most of his stuff.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Holy gently caress! Was just mopping the Liurna map and activated the teleporter to Crumbling Farum Azula. What a view! And lol, I'm getting absolutely rekt by the two mobs.

edit: gently caress off George

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Funso Banjo posted:

Does Torrent's double jump let you drop huge distances and then jump 6 feet from the bottom to survive?

Not huge distances but there are definitely areas of the game that you can't get to without semi-cheesing this mechanic, Like the lower shoreline in the opening area.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
This sword of St. Trina seems pretty drat good for a sorcery build. I'm not sure its better than the longsword +4 I was using but this scales on INT so seems better?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lid posted:

Has it bern worked out which summons are best other than Lady Jellyfish? I got the Ancient Archer guy from the River and he can solo just about everything as his bow has autoaim but been considering getting FP up for Oleg or Headless Lady but dont know if worth it.

The Marionette Archers are super good, imo.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

General Radahn, the mighty conqueror of the stars

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

goferchan posted:

Good lord, whoever said Hoarfrost Stomp was a good weapon art wasn't loving around -- second hit does crazy damage with huge AOE. Ash is near Caria Manor from one of the invisible footprint guys if anyones wondering

Welcome to viking glory, friend.

For added fuckery I put Gravitas on my great epee, and an invader was an unfortunate experiment on my part to confirm that I can trap rolly bastards with Gravitas and swap to the axe to Hoarfrost Stomp them as a black hole drags them under my icy heel.

Also, today I learned that hitting birds and bats with gravity well or gravitas is an instant crumple.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Why choose one or the other? Big Int Sword is my friend

e:

Its gimmick is that it can't be upgraded, so it's mostly about how many smithstones you can get your hands on and are willing to invest. From what I've read, the strong 50+ int staffs start to beat it out around +6 to +7, but the basic low level staffs seem to not overtake it until ~+12-+16ish.

good to know that I don’t need to fear hitting a wall as quick as something like the drake sword in DS1, thanks

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Anyone find good bows yet? I want something to use for dex/int but I don't know if you even can use any int ashes on a bow.

I just love being a swiss army knife character. Keep a shield, a spear, a katana, a bow, and a staff ready to swap around as the need arises

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Wow, that tutorial revenge came up a lot earlier than I expected! Feels good, man! drat, only had two keys for the Belfries, third gate will have to wait...

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Nuebot posted:

For some aesthetic stuff: explore the area around Agheel Lake North a bit. To be more specific if you really want: There's an NPC who's been turned into a weird looking tree near that grace, save him and he has some cosmetic benefits.

I did this and gave him the thing he wanted at the entrance of the cave, but what now? I have no idea where he went!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Funso Banjo posted:

I've heard that fall damage is based on how long you spend in the air without touching the ground, which would mean a double jump is actually more likely to kill you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

PantsBandit posted:

Is there a way to access this part of Siofra River?

I've gone up and down the bank and haven't found a way in.

In the forested area, have a look around for teleporters. Make sure to check all of them.

:getin: