Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yeah but it wasn’t Ching Chong, it was a normal sounding name.

So is Anthony Goldstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
RE: Wizard Fights

behold this amazing special effects extravaganza:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKm7NloL8bA

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

did anyone see Cry Macho?
holy fuuuuck this dude is old

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

now go see the ending to Bakshi's Wizards

rydiafan posted:

This is still the best wizard duel.

https://youtu.be/4cZqRzHnI8s

:colbert:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Fungo Hairstylios

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Quantum of Phallus posted:

did anyone see Cry Macho?
holy fuuuuck this dude is old

Fistful of Dollars to Unforgiven - 28 years
Unforgiven to Cry Macho - 29 years

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Gripweed posted:

oh yeah, tons of people actually named Cho Chang. That's like John Smith in China

Ugh who gives a loving poo poo she was a haggis-gobbling piece of eye candy for Harry for like 5 minutes screen time, she sucked, Harry sucked, the wizarding world sucks, Hogwarts was a school you sent children you didn’t want to get back, and the Dursleys knew it!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

poo poo i failed

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Dabir posted:

So is Anthony Goldstein.

Yeah that’s a normal enough name for a work of fiction. Nobody would keep the last name Weasley irl or the first name Hermione, though.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

rydiafan posted:

This is still the best wizard duel.

https://youtu.be/4cZqRzHnI8s

You're right but I was really hoping for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stink Billyums posted:

Fistful of Dollars to Unforgiven - 28 years
Unforgiven to Cry Macho - 29 years

:aaaaa:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I haven't watched any post-9/11 Eastwood movies because my top 20 of all time has TGTB&TU at #2 and Unforgiven somewhere around #15, and I don't want them tarnished by his insane right wing bullshit.

See also: Road Warrior at #5 and me blissfully knowing that Mel Gibson died in a plane crash in 1998 inside my mind palace

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I haven't watched any post-9/11 Eastwood movies because my top 20 of all time has TGTB&TU at #2 and Unforgiven somewhere around #15, and I don't want them tarnished by his insane right wing bullshit.

See also: Road Warrior at #5 and me blissfully knowing that Mel Gibson died in a plane crash in 1998 inside my mind palace

You should watch The Mule, it’s hilarious

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cho Chang is two family names. It's like a reverse Ricky Bobby

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Or at least listen to Eastwood sing Gran Torino.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

genuinely the worst film i've seen in years

It was funny how they couldn't think of anything for the female agent to do, so they send her into space in the first one, then blow her up with a missile in the first 10 minutes of the second one. Samuel L. Jackson, Elton John and Julianna Moore were great though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It was funny how they couldn't think of anything for the female agent to do, so they send her into space in the first one, then blow her up with a missile in the first 10 minutes of the second one. Samuel L. Jackson, Elton John and Julianna Moore were great though.

never saw 2, I hated the first one so I didn’t bother. My housemate was watching the new one so I joined in. We both regret it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Immediately blowing her up with a missile was such a weird move. I spent the entire second movie waiting for her to show up and it to be revealed that she had survived somehow. And at the end I was like, huh I guess she's really dead

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Cho Chang is two family names. It's like a reverse Ricky Bobby

I never questioned Ricky Bobby’s name either, it was a drat movie!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Immediately blowing her up with a missile was such a weird move. I spent the entire second movie waiting for her to show up and it to be revealed that she had survived somehow. And at the end I was like, huh I guess she's really dead

Yeah killing everybody was a bad move. Especially the bald guy.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Kingsman is bizarrely, a LoEG remake decades later that gets almost exactly the same things wrong.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Julianne Moore's jungle hideout looked so loving bad. Like out of something 20 years older.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sankara posted:

There sure are a lot of "guy walks around for a while" movies.

Cardio is important

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I wanted to share this joke Max Eggers told about the Lighthouse to Robert Pattinson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz52gPH3ou4&t=951s

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

It blows my mind they let the guy who made the worst looking Harry Potter films (and the actual worst one with OOTP) the reins of their entire new franchise. They loving suck!!!

They've always been bad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

They've always been bad

eh, first four are decent tbh. Third one is really good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

As lame as the Marvel movies are how do you see the Dr. Strange poo poo in Avengers and go yeah we'll just have the most powerful wizards shoot lasers out of their wands.

Dr Strange just casts Circle instead of Laser, he is equally boring and uninspired

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I can't really blame the filmmakers or even latter day rowling for the wizard duels being terrible, to my memory she pretty much always thought they would consist of two lasers pushing against each other until one wins and wrote them as such

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Aww poo poo. Shudder just added Darkman and its two sequels.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Julianne Moore's jungle hideout looked so loving bad. Like out of something 20 years older.

That’s completely loving inappropriate- oh! You meant her actual hideout, not her bush. That’s ok I guess.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

from five pages ago... I probably didn't give Hannibal a fair shake because I was going into it thinking it was going to be a serious psychological suspense thriller show. I didn't realize everyone was saying it was "really good" as a joke. I mean I love overwrought campy circular dialogue that thinks it's really clever and stupid hamfisted plotting as much as the next guy, just let me prepare my palette at least

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Lister posted:

I wanted to share this joke Max Eggers told about the Lighthouse to Robert Pattinson.

lol

also man Willem Dafoe owns- he was the only thing that elevated that stupid Spider Man movie

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Lister posted:

the lighthouse rocks so much rear end

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I can't really blame the filmmakers or even latter day rowling for the wizard duels being terrible, to my memory she pretty much always thought they would consist of two lasers pushing against each other until one wins and wrote them as such

I had this thought earlier but then I looked it up and the fight in the fifth one is actually alright
they bring statues to life and sic em on each other, one of them shoots fire and the other one turns the fire into a snake, they teleport, the phoenix eats one of the spells in midair and explodes
it sounds like it would be awesome airbrushed on the side of a van in the 1970's, which is where wizards loving belong

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Lister posted:

…joke?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

No Mods No Masters posted:

There is exactly on battle like this in the Harry Potter books, and it only happens because Harry and Voldemort's wands use feathers from the same Phoenix. After Harry wins that duel Voldemort's wand stops working against Harry, and you have some scenes where that happens, but DBZ style beam clashes are just not a thing that commonly happens in the books and are in fact a result of the creators of the movies not having any better ideas of how to show magic on screen. Rowling wasn't very good at describing magical combat in any case, and most of her combat involves inexperienced children so it isn't a good sample to begin with.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Lister posted:

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Just finished the Righteous Gemstones it rules and is the best thing Hill/McBride have ever done

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

runnypoops posted:

Just finished the Righteous Gemstones it rules and is the best thing Hill/McBride have ever done

That Young Guns ending was so good. Can't wait for season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i was flipping channels and saw about 5 minutes of Cry Macho

the scene, broadly, concerned Eastwood, a Latino youth, and a Latino cop... it was a "not all white guys are bad" sort of thing... it was... quite bad