Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress you Brandon. I was actually worried for a moment.

Was kinda expecting him to say he smoked pot once or smelled alcohol but of course it's something extremely wholesome like writing a poo poo ton of secret books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Louisgod posted:

Was kinda expecting him to say he smoked pot once or smelled alcohol but of course it's something extremely wholesome like writing a poo poo ton of secret books

My assumption was burnout. I should have expected “I am a novel robot. Must write novels.”

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

My assumption was burnout. I should have expected “I am a novel robot. Must write novels.”

Yea I was thinking it was going to be like, "I'm all too aware of the reputation surrounding my productivity, but it's just unsustainable guys I need to cut back"

but... nope.. polar loving opposite. What a goddamn troll lol

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Tunicate posted:

GPT is good at pitching novels.

Edit: did another batch. Filtered out more 'the sequel to x set y years later' since it is super common.

Just to be clear, these are procedurally generated prompts, not actual summaries?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I really was hoping for some kind of tv/film deal, but this is an incredible surprise as well. Or not a surprise, in hindsight. This guy is a machine.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Sab669 posted:

Yea I was thinking it was going to be like, "I'm all too aware of the reputation surrounding my productivity, but it's just unsustainable guys I need to cut back"

but... nope.. polar loving opposite. What a goddamn troll lol

normal authors: I'm extremely depressed, I'm cheating on my spouse, I'm snorting coke, I haven't been able to write anything for months
sanderson, in extreme goldmember voice: I wrote boooooooooooooooooooks

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Already over 2.5m, goddamn.

Skuzal posted:

Its not what anyone expected, surprise he wrote more novels than he planned for.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragonsteel/surprise-four-secret-novels-by-brandon-sanderson

This is Brandon Sanderson you're talking about. He is a human printing press.

One of those books being a sequel to Alloy of Law 300 years later is real funny since that's how Alloy of Law happened and maybe this means we're getting the 80s Shadowrun-style Mistborn setting a bit early? :dance:

e: The swag box tier is real tempting but also $360...

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Already over 2.5m, goddamn.

This is Brandon Sanderson you're talking about. He is a human printing press.

One of those books being a sequel to Alloy of Law 300 years later is real funny since that's how Alloy of Law happened and maybe this means we're getting the 80s Shadowrun-style Mistborn setting a bit early? :dance:

It’s also weird to say “a sequel to Alloy of Law” and not “a sequel to Wax & Wayne” or “a sequel to The Lost Metal.” Why Alloy of Law specifically?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Louisgod posted:

normal authors: I'm extremely depressed, I'm cheating on my spouse, I'm snorting coke, I haven't been able to write anything for months
sanderson, in extreme goldmember voice: I wrote boooooooooooooooooooks

Never mind everything you do know about the man, just looking at him was enough to rule out a coke problem. Although it would help explain how he's able to write so much.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anshu posted:

Just to be clear, these are procedurally generated prompts, not actual summaries?

Yeah, I like seeing what AI predicts for things like this.

Sorry if that was unclear.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Never mind everything you do know about the man, just looking at him was enough to rule out a coke problem. Although it would help explain how he's able to write so much.

if anything he's a poster child for some kind of freakish fevered productivity granted by undiluted sobriety. i fear it

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
brandon will become as god in the mormon afterlife

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Oooh. Based on these covers, let the speculation begin.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
What absolute unit of an author.

"Don't roll your eyes at me!"

At least some of it better be good. He kept saying "this is the mindset I had for Empreror's Soul!" so I'm hopeful.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

aparmenideanmonad posted:

What absolute unit of an author.

"Don't roll your eyes at me!"

At least some of it better be good. He kept saying "this is the mindset I had for Empreror's Soul!" so I'm hopeful.

I can make out the words 'top secret' but nothing else.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Mordiceius posted:

Oooh. Based on these covers, let the speculation begin.

All I'm here for is the witch with a raygun. Don't care about any of the others, just want to read about that witch with a raygun.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't forget shipping to the US at $80!

Hard to resist it myself though...

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

International shipping is just so expensive I'll have to go for the ebooks.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
He's awesome.

I'd totally go all in but the shipping is literally the cost of the pledge again. 300 dollars total for the four books or 640 total for the swag.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tunicate posted:

I can make out the words 'top secret' but nothing else.

In the video he mentions he put the 4 stacks, all with "TOP SECRET" printed on them, on some desk at Dragonsteel for the staff to just find on their own :haw:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
4.55m and still climbing, with the average amount per backer in the $290 range? :wtc:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Evil Fluffy posted:

4.55m and still climbing, with the average amount per backer in the $290 range? :wtc:

perhaps his mormon fanbase considers it part of their tithing and are going all in.

e: For actual content, I'm slowly getting back into RoW again and am roughly 55% in and it's excellent. I appreciate how the stakes are consistently high as opposed to having those quiet moments before the storm (pun intended), which is so much more engaging. The only bleh segments are with the singers as it tends to be a bit boring, and I don't feel capturing their songs/hums comes through well on paper.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 1, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I've enjoyed RoW consistently more on reread than on my first read. Don't get me wrong, I also liked it when I first read it, but some things bugged me that don't bother me when I revisit the book. And I strongly suspect that I won't have the same problem in Stones Unhallowed, considering how RoW ended. Can an entire 1000 page book be a Sanderlanche? After that setup, we might just find out that it can, and I'm super excited and a little by afraid of it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Torrannor posted:

Can an entire 1000 page book be a Sanderlanche? After that setup, we might just find out that it can, and I'm super excited and a little by afraid of it.

I don't actually think it can. You've got to earn the awesome moments. The beginning of RoW is a good example of an unearned sanderlanche. It's just....weird.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

External Organs posted:

I don't actually think it can. You've got to earn the awesome moments. The beginning of RoW is a good example of an unearned sanderlanche. It's just....weird.

It's not like there's any possibility of a time skip, considering that book 5 will likely end in-universe no later than 10 days after the end of book 4.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Can an entire 1000 page book be a Sanderlanche? After that setup, we might just find out that it can, and I'm super excited and a little by afraid of it.

You've read A Memory of Light, haven't you?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

You've read A Memory of Light, haven't you?

Of course! Good point, the Last Battle made up like two thirds of the book, so yeah. On the other hand, Tarmon Gaidon was built up basically from book 1, and there doesn't even need to be a big military confrontation between Odium's forced and Dalinar's coalition, the main conflicts will be Szeth and Shinovar, probably Kaladin and Ishar in some capability, and of course Dalinar against Odium's champion.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I mean, concluding a 14 book series != concluding the first of two pentalogies. It won't be 1000 pages of Sanderstorm, there will have to be slow parts for at least some of Szeth's flashbacks, and presumably setting up the second series

But I strongly think my face is going to look like this for at least 70% of Book 5: :staredog:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Book 5 will be a 500 page philosophical debate between dalinar and taravangian, and while dalinar will refuse to concede it, it will be broadcast globally and the world as a whole will vote taravangian, ensuring his victory and setting up the next 5 books.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 1, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tunicate posted:

It will be a 500 page philosophical debate between dalinar and taravangian, and while dalinar will refuse to concede it, it will be broadcast globally and the world as a whole will vote taravangian, ensuring his victory and setting up the next 5 books.

This is vague enough, I guess, but please remember that there are regular readers of this thread who haven't read all of Stormlight yet.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Livestream started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuLtfMYiYTU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
lol they were about to hit $6 million and Kickstarter crashed. Brandon noted there are two other big campaigns going at the same time too.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Goddamn, I want the swag boxes but that price tag.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRxsLPux3xg

This is months old, too :v:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Yes, I thought of this. Or the Daniel Greene skit.

Speaking of Daniel Greene, he live reacted to Sandersons vid on twitch, and you can see the conflicting emotions of both being a Sanderson fan ("five more books?? amazing!") and being an author ("five more books?? HOW????"). The utter disbelief is amazing to see.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leng posted:

It's going to be this...
he's bitten off more than he can chew.
He might do some work on other projects to take a breather,
the only way they can get it to market in 18 months is to run five publication processes in parallel.
Nailed it

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
And the secret books will have full art and everything, that's a big deal, too! If there's in-book art as well (which has been standard for all his recent Cosmere publications at least), it will be even more extraordinary. He very definitely will have his team run five publication processes in parallel, which is just insane. Forget for one moment about his insane writing output, but putting all of this into book form (with revising and editing), then adding artwork and cover art, then getting all of that to the printing presses, and also organizing the audio team for the audio-books so that they can pull off 5 simultaneous hardcover, e-book and audiobook released in 12 months (Mistborn 2 finale November 22, 4th secret books October 23) is just unreal.

Plus doing a kickstarter and organizing big media and advertising pushes. The team behind Sanderson is imho no less impressive than Brandon himself.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I'm hoping we get a whimsy book out of this madness :allears:

I'm pretty sure he's said something about a kite based magic system too, hasn't he?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Tunicate posted:

Nailed it

I legit thought he was gonna have to take a break from the main projects...but then I should have remembered that he takes breaks by writing books. And I ALSO should have remembered the less welcome floating of the Patreon question back in December as well as the various moves he's made with Skyward Flight.

:golfclap: well played Sanderson. You had me.

Torrannor posted:

Speaking of Daniel Greene, he live reacted to Sandersons vid on twitch, and you can see the conflicting emotions of both being a Sanderson fan ("five more books?? amazing!") and being an author ("five more books?? HOW????"). The utter disbelief is amazing to see.

The answer to the author side of things isn't a sexy one. It's systems, processes and hiring the right people. Of course the way he's gone about this from a business perspective is just phenomenal and absolute genius and I guess my YouTube video this week is going to be on deconstructing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
All this on top of a Kickstarter later this year for the next leatherbound? I fear for his warehouse space, let alone his team’s workloads.

The cost and international shipping for the merch boxes is just too much for me, alas.