Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'll report back if it works. Looks like you get 1m gil too, which is gonna leave me all wistful that I can't apply that to my main guy somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Pinax is the only mechanic my group is still struggling with, four weeks into reclears

Its more like sixteen distinct patterns: lightning/water first, fire/poison first, cape or sword, and then the final multiplier is whether he teleports next to the active tile or not (doesn't matter so much for fire but is a big deal for poison). There's just a lot that can go wrong.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Pinax is the only mechanic my group is still struggling with, four weeks into reclears

Its more like sixteen distinct patterns: lightning/water first, fire/poison first, cape or sword, and then the final multiplier is whether he teleports next to the active tile or not (doesn't matter so much for fire but is a big deal for poison). There's just a lot that can go wrong.

The way we do it, it's really only 4 patterns:
- Lightning/Fire
- Lightning/Poison
- Water/Fire
- Water/Poison

If it's water first, do not use your knockback invuln (you lose one GCD at most, but probably none).
Then, always run to where he jumps to, and always use the knockback invuln on the way there (even if it's not water third or cape). You already know which tile is unsafe (because it's the opposite of the first element), so don't be there.
Poison last does not matter, you have forever to spread.

Always doing the same thing made that mechanic a lot easier than having to think whether it was okay to use invuln or not / where to stand for sword or cape.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 1, 2022

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Use knockback immunity if water is first, ride the knockback to the correct side if knockback is second. Only other thing you have to do is remember to check whether it's sword or cape. Everything else is trivial to resolve.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Inner release is always up for second knockback, so I get to ignore mechanics.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

just do the mechanic right and it's easy

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

whatever you do just make sure your team is on the same page so you aren't all scrambling to find each other for the stack

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i just negate the water knockback regardless because there's roughly ten thousand years between the cape knockback happening and fire/poison resolving

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
in practice almost all of our pinax wipes these days are to the second pinax so it's just mental exhaustion rather than not being able to do the mech at all

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

iPodschun posted:

Between this post and the one in the newbie thread, you seem to have it under control now but thought I'd contribute my experience: After getting a new computer in December 2020, XIV was crashing very often. Sometimes DirectX stuff, sometimes the generic program crash message. I checked Event Viewer and a lot of the crashes were at the same time as Windows doing some other random thing, so I was going through and fixing permissions on files and folders or turning off various processes that would run at the same time as a XIV crash.
edit: XIV still crashes once or twice a week for me but it's much better than once an hour or so

The solution is always nuking your C: drive with a clean winstall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um5r-btTpUA

Or somehow getting your hands on a Steam Deck :v:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Getting 30 Fisher was indeed fast and easy - total time a bit over 1:45 - and there's a million Gil sitting on this character and 15 days on my account.

Did it with one ocean fishing trip and just a few minutes fish-grinding after that. Strictly speaking I just worked nearly two hours for like $7 of value but you know what it feels good anyway!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

After like 5 weeks, finally have this drat bird down. :negative:

200+ pulls, but biggest wall was having people missing the past 3 weeks.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Okay I am calling bull on this, that is 1000% a "fff" sound and not a "shh". I'm just going to assume they got cold feet about "freak" being potentially offensive.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

nearing the end of shadowbrings msq and i hope there are more duties like the chai nuzz one going forward

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Pigbuster posted:

Okay I am calling bull on this, that is 1000% a "fff" sound and not a "shh". I'm just going to assume they got cold feet about "freak" being potentially offensive.

Listening to it, it's definitely "shrieks".. The "shh" is just not as emphasized.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The DGKK musical troupe, FUNK ENGINE, is doing another concert, March 20th, we will be doing songs from Konami games:

https://i.imgur.com/ATvleGj.mp4
(there's sound)

It'll be in the DGKK front yard. I hope to see you there.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

it's freaks

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i am now bis

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You forgot the :wink:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I got the chest piece from P4S today so i'm basically BiS if i can be bothered to buy the valour point gloves. I guess i just stop playing for about 6 months until the next tier comes out?

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

CJ posted:

I got the chest piece from P4S today so i'm basically BiS if i can be bothered to buy the valour point gloves. I guess i just stop playing for about 6 months until the next tier comes out?

You stop playing until the dragonsong war ultimate comes out and then you try progging that for 2 weeks before your ult static implodes in a glorious fashion and you swear off the game until a week before the next tier.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

for reclears this week i bullied my static into letting my play monk instead of tank for a change

what a fun class

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

11000002 returns

After a few days of being able to do overworld stuff with perfect stability, I decided to tempt fate by posting on the last page that I had it fixed, and by doing roulettes. Dungeons and roulettes up to level 50 seem fine, 60 is a maybe, and 70 is a no. It's interesting that framerate tanks around big PC crowds without crashing, but can't handle the fighting action with a smoother framerate. When the spell effects really ramp up, or if I start doing particularly well as healer, it crashes instantly. GPU tends to get near 100% at those moments but temps are fine. This is different than the flickering black boxes seconds before the crash where you can see it coming which happens at default GPU clock speeds.

Lowering the GPU clock further (from -60 to -65, then -70) seemed to make the crash happen sooner, and lowering graphics did not seem to help. Maybe I'll be able to find some perfect balancing point between -10 and -60. I'm not sure how to approach tests going forward because doing multiplayer knowing you might crash is a dick move. Maybe I will look on twitch for big house parties.

iPodschun posted:

Between this post and the one in the newbie thread, you seem to have it under control now but thought I'd contribute my experience: After getting a new computer in December 2020, XIV was crashing very often. Sometimes DirectX stuff, sometimes the generic program crash message. I checked Event Viewer and a lot of the crashes were at the same time as Windows doing some other random thing, so I was going through and fixing permissions on files and folders or turning off various processes that would run at the same time as a XIV crash.
edit: XIV still crashes once or twice a week for me but it's much better than once an hour or so

I don't remember anything promising in Event Viewer but I'll start keeping a closer look at it.

Theophany posted:

The solution is always nuking your C: drive with a clean winstall.

Or somehow getting your hands on a Steam Deck :v:

I did this twice, once with Windows 10 and once with Windows 11.

My Steam Deck reservation says after Q2 2022.

A PS5 or new GPU would be an option, but isn't a very attractive once since the game looks and runs great otherwise, and I just dropped the cash on the new TV. All other games I've played with this setup have been fine except HITMAN 3, which just isn't super stable. It's an uncomfortable proposition that this game may now have a new $500+ barrier to entry. This is coming just as parts of the game are really clicking for me post-Stormblood. I could just put the game down for now and wait for the Steam Deck to come in, but the game looks great at 4k, and I have the sunk cost of the subscription I just topped up before the old TV really became unusable. Similarly, I could try lowering the resolution but it's so pretty and runs really well, up until it doesn't.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 3, 2022

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Heran Bago posted:

I did this twice, once with Windows 10 and once with Windows 11.

My Steam Deck reservation says after Q2 2022.

A PS5 or new GPU would be an option, but isn't a very attractive once since the game looks and runs great otherwise, and I just dropped the cash on the new TV. All other games I've played with this setup have been fine except HITMAN 3, which just isn't super stable. It's an unfortable proposition that this game may now have a new $500+ barrier to entry. This is coming just as parts of the game are really clicking for me post-Stormblood. I could just put the game down for now and wait for the Steam Deck to come in, but the game looks great at 4k, and I have the sunk cost of the subscription I just topped up before the old TV really became unusable. Similarly, I could try lowering the resolution but it's so pretty and runs really well, up until it doesn't.

Honestly I'd be tempted to flip your 1070 for a reasonably priced replacement of equal or greater power as that seems to be the root problem. Obviously GPU prices and availability continue to be screwy for consumers, but in my experience when a piece of hardware continues to cause errors after a drive nuke then it's likely only going to get worse over time as the hardware degrades and you slowly descend into madness.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Theophany posted:

Honestly I'd be tempted to flip your 1070 for a reasonably priced replacement of equal or greater power as that seems to be the root problem. Obviously GPU prices and availability continue to be screwy for consumers, but in my experience when a piece of hardware continues to cause errors after a drive nuke then it's likely only going to get worse over time as the hardware degrades and you slowly descend into madness.
I'm tempted. Not convinced the 1070 is the root of the problem but it's possible. The exact same hardware setup was fine until introducing the higher resolution monitor, and nothing else gives this hardware trouble, even when pushing it hard. It's possible that other games are handling some minor hardware failure more elegantly. People get this error with brand new current-gen machines too. Even though DirectX spits out the error it could be CPU, RAM, or even MOBO based on others' reports.

The next things I really must try are running the game in Vulkan with DXVK and checking the RAM. My troubleshooting patience will probably run out after that.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

If I got the new PC I'm planning to buy and I started getting that kind of errors on games I would start throwing poo poo out the window so you already have more patience than me.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
https://twitter.com/kikiko_xixiguo/status/1499071248504332290?t=AluEhsNrSmb8iWoBMF-C1w&s=19

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Solo healing P1S is the way to go. So much faster.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Heran Bago posted:

11000002 meltdown:

I like to play FFXIV with a couch, TV, and controller. The 1360x768 TV gave up the ghost and holy poo poo, I've never even been close to a 4k HDR TV until now. Amazingly, my souped up 1070 can handle 4k 12-bit color and medium graphical settings at a smooth 60 FPS.

For the last few weeks I have been struggling to enjoy FFXIV since the upgrade due to directX 11 error 11000002, never seen before plugging in the new thing. gently caress this so much. There are a dozen things that might fix the issue, depending on what exactly causes it but that's about impossible to know. The subreddit has multiple posts a week with this error. There are multiple blog posts with going in totally different directions to arrive at what helped that writer.

gently caress error 11000002 and gently caress the DirectX 11 it rode in on. I hope you never come across it. If you have, what helped?
Have you tried updating BIOS to the latest version? It's a desperation move, but if a full system reinstall didn't work it's worth a try. Occasionally it will fix game issues.

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 3, 2022

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Solo healing P1S is the way to go. So much faster.
Yesterday I subbed into someone's static that uses with a solo scholar healer for P1S and P2S reclears and while it was totally fine for P1S, P2S required them spend so much time planning out cooldown rotations that it was a clear case of false economy. also they weren't just looking for a tank but only for a warrior, which is the sort of thing square should be extremely concerned about.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yesterday I subbed into someone's static that uses with a solo scholar healer for P1S and P2S reclears and while it was totally fine for P1S, P2S required them spend so much time planning out cooldown rotations that it was a clear case of false economy. also they weren't just looking for a tank but only for a warrior, which is the sort of thing square should be extremely concerned about.

It seems totally reasonable for a static looking for a single sub for one night to want the same job as you're filling in for. Saves having to replan cooldown usage.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gobbeldygook posted:

I mean if you've built your Buff/CD timers around one specific set of classes then it's a bit tricky to on the fly shuffle for a one night shuffle.

Class balance, even now, is still pretty good and everything can clear anything combo wise.

My static is running SGE and DRK/GNB with a MCH and BLM for learning and we're getting by fine.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Having a warrior is really useful on P4S as it lets you ignore all the tank busters in both halves of the fight.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CJ posted:

Having a warrior is really useful on P4S as it lets you ignore all the tank busters in both halves of the fight.

I only play Warrior for the tanks, but as I understood it GNB and PLD's versions of Bloodwhetting were roughly equivalent but WAR scales absurdly well with multiple enemies in dungeons. Is there a gimmick to those tankbusters that makes the pre-shield better than the other abilities' post-heals? Assuming the ~20-30% mitigation (if I did the math right since it's two stacking effects) is enough to survive the hit in the first place.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bruceski posted:

I only play Warrior for the tanks, but as I understood it GNB and PLD's versions of Bloodwhetting were roughly equivalent but WAR scales absurdly well with multiple enemies in dungeons. Is there a gimmick to those tankbusters that makes the pre-shield better than the other abilities' post-heals? Assuming the ~20-30% mitigation (if I did the math right since it's two stacking effects) is enough to survive the hit in the first place.

The warriors shield isn't better than the healing the others provide, no, I'd say it's worse actually if you're directly comparing the two. It's effectively a 400 pot heal and the GNB heal is 900 pot after all. But the warriors healing via Bloodwhetting can also be increased because when your GCD crits, the heal also crits as well, so even if you're on a single target it's pretty okay. And if you used Thrill of Battle you're getting an extra 20% off those GCD heals.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bruceski posted:

It's not about mitigation, it's just that Holmgang cd is low enough for warrior to solo the first and third dualbusters in both part 1 and part 2 while the offtank can invul the second.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

holmgang has a 4 minute recast, the shortest of any tank invuln, so i assume the tankbusters are spread far enough apart in p4s that WAR can handle most of them with holmgang, with the rest being handled by the other tank's invulns

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Have you tried updating BIOS to the latest version? It's a desperation move, but if a full system reinstall didn't work it's worth a try. Occasionally it will fix game issues.

I wouldn't call updating motherboard or even GPU BIOS a desperation move here.

When I continued on to update SSD firmware, that was a desperation move.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Bloodwhetting is a 400 potency shield + 4 GCDs of 400 potency healing for roughly 2000 potency worth of saved healing from the healers. This is on top of the 10%+10% mitigation. If you use a guaranteed crit from Inner Chaos or Primal Rend, the heal will crit too. Inner Release crits don't count. It's pretty easy to save those moves to get the crit heal in a bloodwhetting window as well.

Holy Sheltron is 1000 potency total regen, with 20%+15% mitigation.

Heart of Corundum is a 900 potency heal, with 15%+15% mitigation.

TBN is a 25% max HP shield, which on a tank is roughly equivalent to 1500 potency worth of HP healing. Oblation is 10% and is probably the fair comparison here because DRK gets it at 82 alongside all the other tanks getting their upgraded short cd and duration defensives at that level as well.

This should show why people think DRKs are squishier in dungeons because their short defensive mit is quite a bit weaker than the other classes. And why even against single target, WAR mitigation is crazy good not even taking into account the natural synergy it has with its own Thrill of Battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
War is king in dungeons because bloodwhetting cannot be matched in aoe situations by any other tank.

Apparently P2S can be solo tanked by PLD without too much fuss. It might be possible for war, but hallowed is a bit better to use for coherence as you can run straight through the puddles without having to worry about dropsy.