Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Could a Russian conscript with a smartphone easily get online in Ukraine and read any news sites?

See why they confiscated all the soldiers' smartphones? Can't have any intel reaching the grunts. If that means we can't get any of our intel to the grunts either, then so be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

At least they made that effort. Y’know, after a bunch of them tried swiping for locals on Tinder :v:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I could be misreading this map, but why does it appear as if the southern unit encircled the most southernly ukraine area, and then invaded Moldova?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Has Ukraine started leafletting yet promising hot food and internet access? Wonder if we'll start seeing mass surrenders or even units switching sides. Could a Russian conscript with a smartphone easily get online in Ukraine and read any news sites?

Without control of the airspace, how would they go about dropping them?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SerthVarnee posted:

See why they confiscated all the soldiers' smartphones? Can't have any intel reaching the grunts. If that means we can't get any of our intel to the grunts either, then so be it.

one of you will be given ________
the other will be given ________

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

one of you will be given ________
the other will be given ________

Waifus
yiffus

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Is that a 1st cav patch in the top right?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any idea of what this could be that was used or would an ammo dump getting hit likely produce an explosion like that?
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1498726404661432327?s=20&t=GyLouCUeQ9hv3IV9sFREyQ

not caring here posted:

Yes, I suspect it's for stats on US troops in surrounding countries.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

not caring here posted:

It is. Don't ask me what the significance is. I can't read that

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Defenestrategy posted:

I could be misreading this map, but why does it appear as if the southern unit encircled the most southernly ukraine area, and then invaded Moldova?

I think that's actually supposed to be an attack out of Transnistria toward Odessa. Moldova is not a NATO/EU member though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

A.o.D. posted:

It is. Don't ask me what the significance is. I can't read that

The head represents the horses they don't ride
The line is the river they never crossed
The color represents the color of their bellies

I have no idea where I heard that before but it was an easy layup

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Wasabi the J posted:

The head represents the horses they don't ride
The line is the river they never crossed
The color represents the color of their bellies

Wasn't that pretty much some Vietnam baby killer poo poo, or was first cav that disliked?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Any idea of what this could be that was used or would an ammo dump getting hit likely produce an explosion like that?
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1498726404661432327?s=20&t=GyLouCUeQ9hv3IV9sFREyQ

This looks like an ammo depot going. If you look closely, there are secondary explosions that leave a trail like a rocket or RPG. There was likely fuel in the mix as well.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/status/1498693036464914438

First off, :lol:

Second, gently caress you universe for making me go "Huh, John Bolton is right for once"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Crab Dad posted:

But a few well placed attacks will create an even bigger traffic jam.

The mother of all traffic jams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhviqeboPI4&t=20s

Substitute "boneyard" for "forest" and away we go.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yes, I suspect it's for stats on US troops in surrounding countries.

A few minutes of Google OSINT should be enough to tell them that 1st Cav is nowhere near eastern Europe.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/jkass99/status/1498737424729522179

:thejoke:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Well, it's official.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1498717061496852484

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Has Ukraine started leafletting yet promising hot food and internet access? Wonder if we'll start seeing mass surrenders or even units switching sides. Could a Russian conscript with a smartphone easily get online in Ukraine and read any news sites?

The Ukrainian govt is offering ₽5,000,000 to Russian soldiers who surrender, which is clearly a good deal for anyone who doesn't know what's happened to their economy over the last few days

https://twitter.com/oleksiireznikov/status/1498360024044904451?t=zIGB1C7UTo8jZ-IoPqq6pg&s=19

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

The Ukrainian govt is offering ₽5,000,000 to Russian soldiers who surrender, which is clearly a good deal for anyone who doesn't know what's happened to their economy over the last few days

https://twitter.com/oleksiireznikov/status/1498360024044904451?t=zIGB1C7UTo8jZ-IoPqq6pg&s=19

Whoa interesting. Would imagine they have effective means to get the word out.

Wonder if we're gonna see Russian pilots flying west to defect. Would be hilarious for many reasons including likely grounding many future flights if loyalty is suspect.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

18,895,857.63 Rubles.

That sounds like a no-brainer for a :ussr: conscript who really didn't know what he was getting into or want to be there in the first place to get into, but I wonder how much that is in US Dolla--

quote:

5,000,000 Ukrainian hryvnia equals
166,451.65 United States Dollar

:allbuttons:

e- "Here, let me help you get that thermobaric rocket launcher up and running and pointed in the right direction."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 1, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Should have offered Rubles, I assume most of the conscripts don't know that they're income is currently about to be worthless.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

18,895,857.63 Rubles.

That sounds like a no-brainer for a :ussr: conscript who really didn't know what he was getting into or want to be there in the first place to get into, but I wonder how much that is in US Dolla--

Yo how can I join the Russian army and then surrender

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Is that an up-to limit based on what equipment they defect with? Or just anyone who defects gets that?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Arrath posted:

Just invade part of Europe with a Russian flag on your gear

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The offer is five million rubles, or the equivalent of $44k USD.

fake edit: no, wait, $43k USD.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Arrath posted:

First you'll need to contact Steven Seagal....

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Arrath posted:

I'm sure Uncle Vlad is taking recruits! Just find the first friendly Ukrainian officer you encounter in theater and say "Yes, hi, I'm here for the recruiting offer! Here's my MOS. Do you offer bonuses for former US military experience?".

Cool to see Tintin did the mercenary thing we saw talked about the other day.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Crab Dad posted:

But a few well placed attacks will create an even bigger traffic jam.

The mother of all traffic jams.

Bit late, but indeed it would. And most certainly it would be more than possible, considering the length of the convoy, russian incompetence so far in protecting their flanks and Ukrainian capabilities. Which to me shows that they choose not to attack, at least not right now. Although I'm sure they'll get around to it eventually once more pressing matters have been dealt with.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

18,895,857.63 Rubles.

e- "Here, let me help you get that thermobaric rocket launcher up and running and pointed in the right direction."

Whoa! that's way more than I thought they'd be offering. Although if the invasion being successful means your treasury is forfeit might as well spend now to save your state.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Arrath posted:

Finally a practical plan to get rid of those student loans

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Russia has a bold new strategy for the propaganda war.

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1498744441519149058

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Naked Bear posted:

The offer is five million rubles, or the equivalent of $44k USD.

fake edit: no, wait, $43k USD.

US got my rear end for 12 years for less bonuses.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Arrath posted:

With regards to your qualifications: have you ever driven a car until it ran out of gas?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cythereal posted:

Russia has a bold new strategy for the propaganda war.

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1498744441519149058

Normal behavior. Honestly with Russia getting yeeted from a lot of orgs and an ending an EU reproach...to lift the moratorium on the death penalty.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Whoa! that's way more than I thought they'd be offering. Although if the invasion being successful means your treasury is forfeit might as well spend now to save your state.

Seems like an efficient and immediately effective way of spending all that aid that's been flowing in these last few days, removing soldiers from the battlefield a lot quicker than buying weapons and waiting for them to be delivered and employed. Not to mention the obvious fact that I think everyone prefers russian soliders surrender rather than being killed. Swedens cash contribution alone would pay for almost 1000 defections, for example.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Surrendered soldiers won't dare to return to Russia so they'll settle in Ukraine and spend that money locally, stimulating the Ukrainian economy. Genius!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Churchill posted:

Seems like an efficient and immediately effective way of spending all that aid that's been flowing in these last few days, removing soldiers from the battlefield a lot quicker than buying weapons and waiting for them to be delivered and employed. Not to mention the obvious fact that I think everyone prefers russian soliders surrender rather than being killed. Swedens cash contribution alone would pay for almost 1000 defections, for example.

For sure, no idea how practical or effective it would be. Would assume soldiers without lots of family in Russia would be the primary audience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
How much financial aid did Ukraine actually get from the West? I've seen several reports of "X country will support Ukraine with xxx million dollars" as headlines, only for the full text to read "Y country will support Ukraine with xxx millions dollars in military equipment". If all they get is military hardware, I wonder how Ukraine can afford to drastically raise their soldier's wages (I think ten times as before the war started), while also bribing Russian troops?