Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Actually does anyone elses cat make the most hosed up borderline choking sounds when they get maximally excited? Quill makes a sound like some kind of ??? I can't even describe it. It happens when she is sprinting around in full zoomies leaping onto and off things, it's like those people that can't control the tone of their voice when they get excited. 100% of the time it's accompanied by the crazy wide eyed death stare.

It sounds like you got a cat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Cats definitely do a weird chittering and teeth-clattering when they're really excited, like when they see a bird through the window. I think they also use trial and error to figure out what noises get a reaction, because my cat's meows through the years have become cuter and cuter (or maybe it's the :toxogond:).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Actually does anyone elses cat make the most hosed up borderline choking sounds when they get maximally excited? Quill makes a sound like some kind of ??? I can't even describe it. It happens when she is sprinting around in full zoomies leaping onto and off things, it's like those people that can't control the tone of their voice when they get excited. 100% of the time it's accompanied by the crazy wide eyed death stare.

Anything like this or this?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Anything like this or this?

No I'm actually 100% sure she's never made thos noises ever, and she spends a lot of time looking at birds out the window.

The sound I was trying to describe is more like an excited meow that gets turned into a frantic grunt because she's so excited she can't help it. I'll try to get it on video one day. I love her so much.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Faffas meows to announce himself upon entering a room/upon hopping up on the couch or bed/upon getting near you. He also makes accusatory mrapps if you stop petting him before he is read.

Fartie makes nasty meows when she's displeased, or a tiny little squeak of a wide-mouthed meow when she's getting affection.

Bootsy meows constantly. Look at him, acknowledge him, talk to him, etc. I think he thinks he's a person and we can understand him.

Perdy talks when she's hungry or saying hi occasionally.

Chino only ever meows when he needs something or is confused, and he will look right at you and open his mouth real big and then you can barely hear the whispered meow from 3 feet away.

Prinny meows mostly when my wife leaves to run errands. We think she's looking for her. Then again we also joke that Prinny wants to unzip my wife and wear her as a meat suit. Half-joking, anyway; Prinny has been extremely insistent the past few weeks on sleeping right in my wife's face.

Then again there's something loving adorable about how she's always happy to be with my wife, but as soon as she's laying with her face in my wife's and her butt resting on me, her purrs are loud. :kimchi:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Suzie has quiet meows until she picks up a cat toy or sock in her mouth and the volume shifts to 11.

she brings it to you, drops it then goes back to a volume of 2 'mew'

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

No I'm actually 100% sure she's never made thos noises ever, and she spends a lot of time looking at birds out the window.

The sound I was trying to describe is more like an excited meow that gets turned into a frantic grunt because she's so excited she can't help it. I'll try to get it on video one day. I love her so much.

My car often gets really excited and his meows turn into weird gurgles.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Diana chirps when she's doing that i-am-about-to-pounce dance. She also yowls angrily at things on the ceiling she thinks should come down so that she can pounce them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Mel will jump onto my bed and then meow indignantly and incessantly until I drop what I'm doing to come over and wrap her up in blankets so she can sleep in peace.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Cats are so good, guys. :kimchi:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Pavarotti used to cry and meow as loud as he could constantly, hence the name he picked up in the foster program. Ironically though, since he now has a permanent home and is able to roam the house with Sage he doesn't really talk much at all anymore. Just occasional little meows when he sees you or is looking for Sage or something

He does, when he's seemingly really happy and content, shut his eyes and like.. snore purr? It's the weirdest noise I've ever heard a cat make, but he only really does it when he's happy as far as I can tell. He's got a quiet and breathy purr, so I think it only happens when he's trying to purr really hard or something

Sage basically doesn't talk, but when he does he has cute little like.. trill meows. He only does it when he's going to get his wet food for the day basically. Only other noise he makes is dramatic yowling when play has happened for too long and a crazy loud and deep purr when he's snuggled up. Cats!

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 28, 2022

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

When Loki is really happy he does a high-pitched whistly purr and it's the best. Also he drools everywhere which is less great but :kimchi:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Pavarotti used to cry and meow as loud as he could constantly, hence the name he picked up in the foster program.

I have a cat friends rescued from an abusive situation who used to kind of scream. Named him Bruce, after Bruce Dickinson.

He’s mellowed out considerably, and mostly just makes an “eh” sound when he wants food or attention (he always wants both).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My cat’s ears are warm when they’re usually kinda cool. How worried should I be? :ohdear:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

My cat’s ears are warm when they’re usually kinda cool. How worried should I be? :ohdear:

Don't turn off the lights or let it get wet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If they're not panting or spending all day sprawled out trying to cool off I wouldn't worry. Ears and toe pads are how they regulate heat so if their ears are warm it just means they've been playing or cooked themselves in a sunbeam. Or maybe they're just warm. :iiam:

But if there's no behavior changes it's nothing to worry about.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

He’s being the same little poo poo as ever, it’s just kinda weird since it’s like 9pm in March in Massachusetts. Ah well, maybe it’s just a warm night for him.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I've got a problem with my 1 1/2 year old cat, Heidi. She's recently (couple weeks ago) started to pee on my couch and up in my closet, just pee. She has clean litterboxes upstairs and downstairs. She doesn't appear to be in an discomfort that I can tell. Is there anything to look for behavior wise? Any advice to get her to knock it off?

A picture of the dastardly villain:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

It's her way of telling you to clean up that goony mail mess on your floor :classiclol:

I've been having similar issues with Faffas. Just up and pisses on the couch when the garage door is wide open. It's like...not predictable. The only thing I can think of is that a piece of something fell in the litterbox and obcured like 10% of it and he was offended.

Sometimes cats are just weird or mad. Prinny shits on the bed (and only the bed) despite a clean litterbox when my wife spends too long out of the house, or she did it the other night when he spent time on the porch instead of inside. Cats gonna cat :shrug:

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Well the problem is now she's doing it consistently! and it's new behavior! That pic is slightly old, I did clean up my goony mail mess. I'm going to have a think to see if anything in the house really changed.

What's the best method of cleaning up the pee and eliminating the smell? I don't want to have to throw the couch out and don't want my house smelling of cat pee constantly!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dervinosdoom posted:

Well the problem is now she's doing it consistently! and it's new behavior! That pic is slightly old, I did clean up my goony mail mess. I'm going to have a think to see if anything in the house really changed.

What's the best method of cleaning up the pee and eliminating the smell? I don't want to have to throw the couch out and don't want my house smelling of cat pee constantly!

UTIs (urinary tract infection) will make your cat pee on soft things that smell like you, because it hurts and you smell "safe" to them, you should take her to the vet.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

dervinosdoom posted:

I've had varying levels of success with Nature's Miracle (though this was several years old, they've apparently shitted up their formula since then). Also used Odo-Ban odor remover dumped directly on the stain, after which I suck it all dry with an upholstery/carpet cleaner. I've also done vinegar in an attempt to neutralize the alkaline compounds present in the piss, but that works better on ultra-fresh stains (and leaves the place smelling of vinegar for a while. If you have launderable upholstery covers like me, I also run those on a warm cycle with detergent and Odo-Ban.

Baking soda might or might not do anything because while it's a great smell-absorber, a lot of the odoriferous compounds in urine are alkaline in nature and therefore on the same end of the pH scale as baking soda. I stopped using it in my litterboxes for that reason - once the psychosomatic effect wore off, I realized they smelled even worse.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Iron Crowned posted:

UTIs (urinary tract infection) will make your cat pee on soft things that smell like you, because it hurts and you smell "safe" to them, you should take her to the vet.

Will do!

Thanks!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

quarantinethepast posted:

I just got a cat today from the shelter, 9mo black male cat.

I followed the advice on the front page. As soon as I put the Cat Attract litter in the box the cat went so that was easily resolved. I got a laser, scratch box, and cat plant. Things seem to be going well!

The only thing that concerns me is that the cat occasionally meows like it's looking for somebody. I don't know if maybe I should get another so it's not lonely, especially given that it's technically still a kitten. I work from home most days so it won't be by itself too much.

The reasons my cats meow:

Hungry
I just woke up and they want pets
I just got home and they want pets
They want pets
I am currently petting them
Hunting toys and announcing their kills
Want to go outside
Want to be in the room they are not in
Want to be out of the room they are in
Saw a bird outside
Just announcing presence to the world

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My cat just likes to talk to me. I'll ask her what's up and she meows. I tell her that's amazing and she meows. We have the most fulfilling conversations.

Sometimes she makes a racoon-style throat noise that kind of has a question mark on the end which is her asking me what's up. Or for some scritches.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

xzzy posted:

My cat just likes to talk to me. I'll ask her what's up and she meows. I tell her that's amazing and she meows. We have the most fulfilling conversations.

Sometimes she makes a racoon-style throat noise that kind of has a question mark on the end which is her asking me what's up. Or for some scritches.

Same.

I also love your Chaos AV!

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
We adopted a ~3 year old male (neutered) cat about 7 months ago and he was extremely timid, his confidence has grown a loads and he's as sweet as anything with humans (that he knows at least, strangers still send him running). He's a bit of fair weather cat and doesn't like going outside when it's cold but he's wanting to go out more and more since it's starting warm up and he's an absolute tosser to other cats. He cannot tolerate the sight of another cat and will immediately get up in their face and start yowling and will not back down for anything. He will chase and fight them, where ever they are. One of our neighbour's has a cat that is seemingly equally a poo poo and will sit outside our glass doors and antagonise him which does not help. Is there anything we can do, other than just never letting him outside, to get him to stop being such a little poo poo?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

VelociBacon posted:

I think I know exactly what you mean and one of mine does it too, especially when he’s playful and sees the other cat getting attention. It’s like a meow that turns into a “nrrrgggh” sound that a frustrated person might make, usually accompanied by sprinting away at full speed.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ArcticZombie posted:

Is there anything we can do, other than just never letting him outside, to get him to stop being such a little poo poo?

Nope.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Wednesday is super chatty, and in the mornings she puts on a really pathetic croaky meow when she wants her breakfast. I think it's so cool that cats are smart enough to manipulate their noises to make us react, but jesus, have some dignity! :v:

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bollock Monkey posted:

Wednesday is super chatty, and in the mornings she puts on a really pathetic croaky meow when she wants her breakfast. I think it's so cool that cats are smart enough to manipulate their noises to make us react, but jesus, have some dignity! :v:

Do you expect an animal that will willingly show you its b-hole to have dignity?

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Esme posted:

I think I know exactly what you mean and one of mine does it too, especially when he’s playful and sees the other cat getting attention. It’s like a meow that turns into a “nrrrgggh” sound that a frustrated person might make, usually accompanied by sprinting away at full speed.

Sinjin does this too! He meows when he’s excited and/or he wants to play. If I get up and he thinks he has my attention he’ll run away from me while making that “NRRRGGGH” sound.

If I don’t have time to clicker train him I “hide” a small handful of dry food around my home before I leave for work and he goes nuts for it. Just yelling at me as he runs around the apartment searching in all the regular spots.

He also has a very crazy, low octave, warbling howl when he’s about to throw up. I’ve never heard a cat make that noise. I thought he was dying the first time I heard it.

CATS! :neckbeard:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Harold was really quiet prior to his UT blockage last October but now that he’s on special food and drinking filtered water routinely and likely feeling a lot better for the first time in a while he’s a real talkative little poo poo :kimchi:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ArcticZombie posted:

We adopted a ~3 year old male (neutered) cat about 7 months ago and he was extremely timid, his confidence has grown a loads and he's as sweet as anything with humans (that he knows at least, strangers still send him running). He's a bit of fair weather cat and doesn't like going outside when it's cold but he's wanting to go out more and more since it's starting warm up and he's an absolute tosser to other cats. He cannot tolerate the sight of another cat and will immediately get up in their face and start yowling and will not back down for anything. He will chase and fight them, where ever they are. One of our neighbour's has a cat that is seemingly equally a poo poo and will sit outside our glass doors and antagonise him which does not help. Is there anything we can do, other than just never letting him outside, to get him to stop being such a little poo poo?

You can't train a cat to accept other cats in its territory. If you can't keep them out of your garden (with netting or similar) then you're just going to have to accept that there will be confrontations, and hope that generally they'll be more yowling and chasing and less clawing and biting.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

This is the ironic case where if the cats were forced to live with each other they'll typically get acclimated and develop a degree of acceptance, but because they have clear territories and the other is a transient they'll likely never come to an accord. If you make the yard inhospitable to the neighbor then he may visit less, but that's really about it.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Crocobile posted:

If I don’t have time to clicker train him I “hide” a small handful of dry food around my home before I leave for work and he goes nuts for it. Just yelling at me as he runs around the apartment searching in all the regular spots.

lmao, I do this too. It started as a way to get Katya to use her various beds and other furniture but now I just spread a small amount of kibble around their fav spots after feeding them and they love going on their little kibble-hunt.
Of course Kimchi started scarfing everything down when she joined the pack but it doesn't seem to bother Katya much so I just let them do their thing.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Hey cat thread.

Our kitty is likely on her way out. We've brought her to the vet several times, and while x-rays and ultrasound were clear, the vet thinks it's some form of digestive cancer. She's now on steroids for comfort care to go with her Prozac and miralax.

The steroids improve her activity for a while and then she sulks back to her bed. We're committed to letting her go when there is no more comfort for her.

Lately, she's started purring only to stop seemingly in the same breath. I've had 4 cats over 30 years and never heard anything like it. I don't think it's wheezing, it has the muscle sound of a purr, and she was purring five minutes after, but only briefly before baring teeth. After that, it did sound as if she were softly wheezing before getting up and breathing somewhat normally.

I'm wondering what that may mean, if anything. I know our girl is suffering, and that's a hard place to be. I'm hoping to make it as easy for her as possible.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm so, so sorry. I have no advice to offer; this is the worst.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That's not quite what Sweetheart was exhibiting shortly before we put her down, but it seems similar. It didn't help that we'd gotten ultrasound data that showed their might be occlusion/tumor growth in her lungs.

I am seconding the sympathy. It's so very hard. It's been a month and I still find myself randomly breaking down due to something reminding me of her, or me telling my partner "we love you" instead of "I love you" when she leaves for work. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Kyrosiris posted:

That's not quite what Sweetheart was exhibiting shortly before we put her down, but it seems similar. It didn't help that we'd gotten ultrasound data that showed their might be occlusion/tumor growth in her lungs.

I am seconding the sympathy. It's so very hard. It's been a month and I still find myself randomly breaking down due to something reminding me of her, or me telling my partner "we love you" instead of "I love you" when she leaves for work. :(

In my partner's reading she came up with "gurgling", and I can't say I disagree, she's gained a lot of weight since the steroids. We'll be calling the vet again shortly, the steroids are keeping her eating but her energy lasts for a shorter and shorter amount of time after each dose. There is also added stress in that I can't help with the steroids; I was concussed a few months ago and my motor control is not great, I'm not even able to hold her without shaking, leaving the dosing completely to my partner and our Luna has been less and less cooperative.

My partner is calling the vet again soon, though they likely will only offer words of comfort.