Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I drive a BBW posted:

Thanks for the recs all. As of right now I’m planning 3/30-4/1 for a quick trip. Leaning towards just going to Breck.

Do you mind expanding on the difficulty of skiing Snowbird? Is it mostly ungroomed blues and blacks? Steepness doesn’t bother me but until I can get an intermediate or advanced lesson I’ve stayed off of runs with moguls.
Snowbird’s primary appeal is that pretty much the whole mountain is steep top to bottom. Yes there are groomers but if you don’t like ungroomed terrain then you’re limiting yourself to a small fraction of what the Bird has to offer.

However if you’re looking for a place to take said advanced lesson(s), Snowbird is an excellent choice both for the quality/variety of terrain and the caliber of the instruction itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

We're heading out to Park City next week and my SO would really like a private lesson, but PCMR isn't booking private lessons right now; anyone know someone they'd recommend? PM or post here, w/e.

(In terms of skill level, if it matters, she's a decent intermediate, comfortable on groomed blues at PC, but out of practice from not skiing since COVID hit so she wants a refresher on technique.)

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2022/02/25/the-story-idaho-hill/?fbclid=IwAR1V215tYQiqwu-ReaiFqapJXv2gdXwMZRehF63NXu1joWLlBb7QXI21ZVc

Probably better skiing per dollar than most Vail resorts tbh

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Snowbird’s primary appeal is that pretty much the whole mountain is steep top to bottom. Yes there are groomers but if you don’t like ungroomed terrain then you’re limiting yourself to a small fraction of what the Bird has to offer.

However if you’re looking for a place to take said advanced lesson(s), Snowbird is an excellent choice both for the quality/variety of terrain and the caliber of the instruction itself.

Yes snowbird is a GREAT place to take an advanced lesson. If that's what you're looking for I highly recommend it.

Snowbird is like 80% ungroomed steeps of the black and double black variety, and we're talking like "steeper than most inbounds black diamond runs" steep for a lot of them, and right now a large portion of those runs are nice big moguls. The groomers are still great fun but take a look at the trail map and you'll see what we mean. You'll be able to make it down from each lift if you just want to take blue runs, but you'll be missing most of the mountain.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
They are closing the tram at snowbird in April to replace the cabins. This means that once snow coverage has gotten bad at the base, they will close for the season (rather than use the tram to access the high terrain into may).

loving powdrcorp

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Utah isn't doing particularly well this year and park city is lookin' pretty bare.

hoping for snow next week before I get there next Thursday

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

They are closing the tram at snowbird in April to replace the cabins. This means that once snow coverage has gotten bad at the base, they will close for the season (rather than use the tram to access the high terrain into may).

loving powdrcorp

at least your lifts work, ours are hosed. Skyliner they finally admitted is dead for the season, Outback seems to poo poo the bed and go down every other weekend for an hour or more (not a weather hold), but a hard stop with people on it. Cloudchaser (our newest lift) had at least 6 hard stops two weekends ago and required lift maintenance to come out and smash things around with a wrench for 20 minutes.

"At least we're not Vail" -- Powdr Corp

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

At least Vail has not done the loving fast pass yet. Out of curiosity, I heard that only certain lifts at Bachelor got the fastpass, I imagine Skyliner was one of them?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I heard a rumor we’re going off the epic pass next season which sounds just fine to me.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

At least Vail has not done the loving fast pass yet. Out of curiosity, I heard that only certain lifts at Bachelor got the fastpass, I imagine Skyliner was one of them?

They put them on Little Pine, Pine Martin, Red, Outback, NWX, Summit, Skyliner (lmao), Sunrise & Cloudchaser so.. that's basically all of the lifts. The beginner progression lifts didn't get them so that leaves Early Riser, Rainbow & Alpenglow. I've only ever seen like 6 people on the prog lifts so.. why bother, there's never a line.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Every lift at Snowbird has it too. I haven't seen very many people in the line though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I heard a rumor we’re going off the epic pass next season which sounds just fine to me.

Who is we?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

SeaborneClink posted:

at least your lifts work, ours are hosed. Skyliner they finally admitted is dead for the season, Outback seems to poo poo the bed and go down every other weekend for an hour or more (not a weather hold), but a hard stop with people on it. Cloudchaser (our newest lift) had at least 6 hard stops two weekends ago and required lift maintenance to come out and smash things around with a wrench for 20 minutes.

"At least we're not Vail" -- Powdr Corp

Well... On Saturday they were running three of their main lifts at half speed. I asked one of the techs if there were power problems and he said "no just relay problems" which is uh... Power? It really worried me standing there waiting because I know how screwed bachelors lifts are.

But! It's all ok because the new snowbird tram cars have a DECK on the ROOf (not a joke)

Btw I asked a fast tracks scanner guy how many people come through the line on an average day and he said zero.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 2, 2022

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

telluride.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Green chair at Whistler was running on diesel for three weeks earlier this year, gotta love that deferred maintenance.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spwrozek posted:

telluride.

I would like to check out their at some point.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Well... On Saturday they were running three of their main lifts at half speed. I asked one of the techs if there were power problems and he said "no just relay problems" which is uh... Power? It really worried me standing there waiting because I know how screwed bachelors lifts are.

But! It's all ok because the new snowbird tram cars have a DECK on the ROOf (not a joke)

Btw I asked a fast tracks scanner guy how many people come through the line on an average day and he said zero.

Relays would likely be considered controls circuitry, and while that may or may not control speed via modulation of power, in the facilities maintenance world we would typically classify that as a controls issue. In this case power is (I assume) available and constant. I don't know the inner workings of lifts, although I imagine they would be fascinating. I would surmise in this instance that there is some sort of relay actuated that allows the lifts to travel at full speed, and if this relay breaks opens/actuates it slows the lift to half speed. I don't know how wind sensing and lifts work and if it is automatic, but my best guess is a relay failed closed/open and replacing the relay would have required securing the lift entirely.

The above really only makes sense for a single lift though, unless they have some sort of master relay that ties into multiple lifts, again, I am not an expert on that, although if three lifts are located in the same wind area and could utilize a single wind tracking device it may be the case.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I think they really meant relays in the snowbird grid, they installed a waste heat capture plant to generate power and ever since then they've been having intermittent power outages. These lifts weren't slowed to half speed automatically, but rather kept shutting down if they tried to run them at full speed, so it seemed like they eventually just settled for running at reduced rope speed. At first I thought it was just a single lift issue but all three of the front side high speed lifts were suffering the same fate, and it was insanely busy that day too.

Really odd and there were a lot of mid-day "oh this lift is closed" followed by "it's open again" statements 30 minutes apart. I watched a bunch of cycles of lift starts -> speeds up -> suddenly stops -> starts again in slow mode -> slowly ramps to full speed -> shuts off again, honestly I've never seen anything like it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ok, that makes more sense. When discussing grid level power distribution you use the phrase "It relayed out" to describe a protective relay tripping and opening part of the distribution network. It is very odd though because, to my knowledge, all these sorts of reclamation systems supplement the grid and do not replace the utility in the entirety, especially when the supplemental power source is variable. These supplemental sources often have a reverse power relay to make sure that in case an incident happens in which load suddenly disappears (i.e. multiple lifts stop) that they don't shoot power up the grid and make it go all fuckey wuckey. There may also be an undervoltage/underspeed relay which will trigger if load causes the output voltage or frequency to drop out of a set band, especially if this could cause equipment damage. It would be really interesting to see the one line diagram for their set-up, then I could probably tell you more! Unfortunately I cannot seem to find the details of Snowbirds electrical grid, but looking at pictures of their distribution gear they published it looks like they have some SEL style relay equipment so they could have a variety of different protective features.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Speaking of small resorts, I was at Snowy Range in Wyoming last weekend and it's pretty nice. It's the same distance from me as the main I-70 resorts in Colorado except there's ZERO traffic, and the lift tickets are $70/day. None of the trails are very steep but it's great if you want a chill place to ski.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Ok, that makes more sense. When discussing grid level power distribution you use the phrase "It relayed out" to describe a protective relay tripping and opening part of the distribution network. It is very odd though because, to my knowledge, all these sorts of reclamation systems supplement the grid and do not replace the utility in the entirety, especially when the supplemental power source is variable. These supplemental sources often have a reverse power relay to make sure that in case an incident happens in which load suddenly disappears (i.e. multiple lifts stop) that they don't shoot power up the grid and make it go all fuckey wuckey. There may also be an undervoltage/underspeed relay which will trigger if load causes the output voltage or frequency to drop out of a set band, especially if this could cause equipment damage. It would be really interesting to see the one line diagram for their set-up, then I could probably tell you more! Unfortunately I cannot seem to find the details of Snowbirds electrical grid, but looking at pictures of their distribution gear they published it looks like they have some SEL style relay equipment so they could have a variety of different protective features.

It is really common for small scale generation to cause voltage stability issues, especially when utilities do not have good interconnection standards. Duke Energy had a huge issue with this in NC and solar, connections had no real standards and would cause major customers to drop. If it is relay problems it is protecting the systems so realistically you would rather have the relays doing something than your motors burning up.

I would probably put money on the relays being SEL 411's.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I have a $50 giftcard to Smartwool that I'd like to use maybe on a base layer. Does anyone have strong feelings about Smartwool tops and/or bottoms as base layers?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I like my smartwool base bottoms.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

spwrozek posted:

I would put money on Rocky Mountain Power making as cheap of a decision as possible as well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

I have a $50 giftcard to Smartwool that I'd like to use maybe on a base layer. Does anyone have strong feelings about Smartwool tops and/or bottoms as base layers?

I know you said base layers but if you have problems with socks I loving LOVE my smartwool socks and will never buy another brand as long as they continue to be good. They've outlasted literally every other company and are way more comfortable and fit better.

Sincerely,

An Old Person

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spwrozek posted:

It is really common for small scale generation to cause voltage stability issues, especially when utilities do not have good interconnection standards. Duke Energy had a huge issue with this in NC and solar, connections had no real standards and would cause major customers to drop. If it is relay problems it is protecting the systems so realistically you would rather have the relays doing something than your motors burning up.

They look like they have some 751s of some type and maybe a 300G in their line-up. An interesting set up, in their picture I see 3 generator output breakers open, along with the utility breaker closed. 1 load of some sort breaker is closed and another, perhaps a spare, is open. I would have expected to see some sort of tie breaker(s) in place, but I guess that would be cost prohibitive for the specific use case. Would be interesting to play around with their equipment for a bit or see some of their one lines.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

They look like they have some 751s of some type and maybe a 300G in their line-up. An interesting set up, in their picture I see 3 generator output breakers open, along with the utility breaker closed. 1 load of some sort breaker is closed and another, perhaps a spare, is open. I would have expected to see some sort of tie breaker(s) in place, but I guess that would be cost prohibitive for the specific use case. Would be interesting to play around with their equipment for a bit or see some of their one lines.

I love that you were able to find some actual info. Power team unite!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBNJ2ZBh-Bg

I hoped that having this on video would give me some sense of what happened, but, nope.

I think I was just a little unsteady on my feet after coming out of glades, got cocky on open terrain with a bunch of ice under it, and just loving bit it. This reminds me of highschool in that it was a spectacular clothesline of a crash and I somehow incurred no significant injuries.

I am taking today off to work, ha. Back to MRG for kid's last lesson on Friday and I'll get 2 hours in the glades, and then on Saturday I should be at Sugarbush all day. Then, hopefully, we go into freeze / thaw and I stop posting here and post more in the maple syrup thread in DIY>.

I have logged 130k vertical so far and 88 miles, but I know I went out ~5 times before I was tracking for an average of probably 10k vertical and 7 miles, so I think hitting 200 for the season will be doable even if it's not the 300k I told myself I was gonna do.

I have a ton of gopro footage but most of it is me poking through the woods at 8-14mph. Much more exciting to do than to watch.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

$769 for the ikon base pass what?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

waffle enthusiast posted:

$769 for the ikon base pass what?

What was it last year?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

What was it last year?

Looks like it was $689 this season. And I’m pretty sure it was cheaper for 20/21 as well. When I last had Ikon for 19/20 it was $649 ($619 with the renewal discount).

Gonna wait to see what Vail does. But with traffic to Winter Park* being pretty awful the last five years or so, and our usual trips to CB, I’m not sure it’ll make a ton of sense to go back to Ikon.

*And they need to upgrade Challenger.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 3, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Came across this strip last night reading to kiddo, couldn't resist a little edit. In this scenario I am calvin and my buddy that I ski with is hobbes

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
We're running a 150+ kid end of season fun race today which is the same day as the resort is running the Red Bull Slide In Tour. This is going to be chaos.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 6, 2022

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ridding powder is still awesome. Storm riding is always awesome. Sitting by the fire, drinking a beer, watching people go nowhere on I-70...Chef's Kiss.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

It underdelivered at WP today. Maybe 2” on crust in the morning and just a little more during the day. But at least the drive was pretty easy! Berthoud yesterday did deliver too so I can’t complain.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Solid 7 inches on crust today in lcc but still ended up with an ice beard.

Skiing and snowboarding is fun.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
God the Montrose airport is a zoo right now. They’ve got a significant part of it shut down for renovations and more flights than ever. Was shoulder to shoulder everywhere in the terminal today. Yuck.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Solid 7 inches on crust today in lcc but still ended up with an ice beard.

Skiing and snowboarding is fun.
Spent the day at the Bird and found some great snow in the cirque, thankful for the crowds thinning out a bit in the afternoon

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah that was really nice when it cleared out a bit, just when I was getting tired of the lines they basically evaporated (often the case there).

Certain aspects held some really good pockets, not exactly typical Utah conditions but at this point I'll take anything I can get :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I’ll post some form of trip report once I’m done traveling home, but long story short the BC backcountry trip delivered in a big way