Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Jaytan posted:

They’re functionally identical but I think most people probably prefer one or the other. I use an Xbox controller for pc games because I have an extra, but I like the PlayStation controller better. Just not enough to gently caress around with repairing between PC and the console.

Thanks a lot. I'll pick up whatever's cheaper then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

I'm annoyed that great runes are tied to consumables, they don't seem like a great reward in light of that
I mean, it's basically like the ember boost in ds3, except you get to unlock and choose different buffs.

You still also get the same rewards that you normally would from important bosses in other fromsoft games(boss soul, lot of cash) so

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

tell me more plz

You get Rune Arcs for helping other players beat bosses. Drop your sign (if you want to help with a specific boss) or activate an effigy (if you want to help in a general region while doing stuff/exploring).

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cowcaster posted:

i'm sitting on having cleared out everything in stormveil castle save for the friend in the basement and the boss himself, but i'm more interested in exploring the weeping peninsula which i apparently completely skipped over than continuing the plotline

weeping peninsula should be very easy when you cleared the castle. I did it prior since the castle guys were a bit annoying

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Harrow posted:

This is a joke, yes. He's been doing this on Youtube for ages. He has a video for like every major or hyped game release called "DON'T Buy <game title>" or something like that. It's just his schtick.

He had one the first negative reviews of Cyberpunk 2077, I think the day before it was released, on a live stream, when everyone was still aboard the hype train.

Not sure if he was really trolling then, because his comments were right.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Verisimilidude posted:

https://twitter.com/MichaelDoesLife/status/1497689666337873928?s=20&t=aRpFtV-Je5Wi_KuN5iu4jA
This has to be a joke right? Like he's intentionally saying dumb poo poo to get attention?

Yes

hazardousmouse posted:

I'm gonna summon anything and everything I can cause these bosses are assholes and don't deserve respect or a "fair" fight
I think they’re neat

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

You get Rune Arcs for helping other players beat bosses. Drop your sign (if you want to help with a specific boss) or activate an effigy (if you want to help in a general region while doing stuff/exploring).

you also get them for invading and killing them

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

He had one the first negative reviews of Cyberpunk 2077, I think the day before it was released, on a live stream, when everyone was still aboard the hype train.

Not sure if he was really trolling then, because his comments were right.

I mean, you know what they say about stopped clocks

That said it's also possible he saw an opportunity to trash a game sincerely which I bet was refreshing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dangit now that i remembered the guy at the bottom of stormveil i've reminded myself of the same guy in the tutorial dungeon. how can i possibly finish off stormveil castle when there's so much other poo poo to do!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

hazardousmouse posted:

I'm gonna summon anything and everything I can cause these bosses are assholes and don't deserve respect or a "fair" fight

I understand the mentality of wanting to play through these games without help but the spell summons seem like a perfectly legitimate tactic. They cost FP so you have to use them instead of spells and mostly serve as a distraction. I've been using an upgraded version of one of the beast archers from the underground area and It's useful for drawing aggro but in no way comparable to summoning in some minmaxed player who will singlehandedly kill the boss for you.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

Controller is recognized by steam and when I press the xbox button in game it opens up the xbox menu. I've got the Series 1 elite controller. Maybe that's the issue? I don't use any third party controller programs other than the Razer one for my keypad.

I might just have to use mouse and keyboard for the game.

Something to try, while I didn't have any issues with this game the other fromsoft games were a pain to work on the playstation controller, and this is what i had to do to fix it

Go to steam, open the 'big picture' mode (the icon in the upper right of the steam window)
Go into your library, select Elden Ring
Select 'Manage Game' on the left sidebar
Select 'Controller Config'
Select 'Browse Configs' at the bottom
Select 'Community' and browse through different configurations. These are setups made by users who have your same controller (as detected by windows) Generally more votes = the way to go

I have no idea why you have to be in big picture mode to access this poo poo but it made my DS4 work flawlessly with DS3 and not fight with my mouse & keyboard

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

haldolium posted:

weeping peninsula should be very easy when you cleared the castle. I did it prior since the castle guys were a bit annoying

Yeah. It feels like the peninsula and Morne are the “so you got owned by Stormveil, huh?” area of the map where you go explore/level up to come back and finally take on Stormveil proper.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Cowcaster posted:

dangit now that i remembered the guy at the bottom of stormveil i've reminded myself of the same guy in the tutorial dungeon. how can i possibly finish off stormveil castle when there's so much other poo poo to do!

There's a dude hanging in a hole with an item in Stormveil that I could never get to, also a dude up on a ledge by the spider guy behind a door that won't open. I kept thinking I'd find a passage that led to them but I just missed those. I'm sure they were the 2 best items in the game.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I've been stuck on the Redmane Castle boss for 2 days and have tried to bring co-op in and can never F'ing get it. I've helped beat the boss 8x+ for others including with just 2 but I cant loving crack this egg. There's like 45k runes in there now too.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know whether anyone gives at poo poo about this guy's cooking show besides me but i saw the name elden ring and i clapped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJXf0wFQ4Aw

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

PerilPastry posted:

Thanks a lot. I'll pick up whatever's cheaper then.

I think the only true benefit to one vs the other in these games in particular is that the PS4 controller has entirely separate buttons for the dpad directions and Xbox is a big + symbol.

In dark souls and elden ring you will be trying to press those buttons in battle to swap between equipment/heals/items and it's generally better to know when you press a direction it's only that one rather than hitting a corner and pressing both.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah. It feels like the peninsula and Morne are the “so you got owned by Stormveil, huh?” area of the map where you go explore/level up to come back and finally take on Stormveil proper.

I just found the underground river. Where does that lay in this spectrum? I keep expecting it’s going to get too hard and I’m going to get rekt but so far I keep progressing alright.

all I’ve done so far is I believe most of the main content in “central/east lingrave” and weeping peninsula haven’t even gone up to stormvail yet.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
sex is great and all but have you ever coop'd against a boss with two other people with bleed weapons

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

titanium posted:

I've been stuck on the Redmane Castle boss for 2 days and have tried to bring co-op in and can never F'ing get it. I've helped beat the boss 8x+ for others including with just 2 but I cant loving crack this egg. There's like 45k runes in there now too.

The allies you can summon aren't a one-time thing. If they die, run around until you find their summon sign and summon them back in again. With all the NPCs distracting him, you can mostly sit back and watch or wait for easy openings to get in attacks of your own.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol gently caress's sake, at the end of Godrick's 12 hit aerial combo I couldn't figure out how it was still hitting me on the final hit that lands him. He's holding two axes. It'll hit you anyway if you roll that way. :negative:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

titanium posted:

If you want you can just go in and grab your runes then quit game to get them out of the boss room, then you can spend them and maybe go explore somewhere else

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
You're gonna get wrecked down there

I've beat the boss and the random enemies down there still wipe the floor with me

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

hazardousmouse posted:

You're gonna get wrecked down there

I've beat the boss and the random enemies down there still wipe the floor with me

You talking about the river?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Do not enter a fog gate if you have enough runes to level up.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Do not enter a fog gate if you have enough runes to level up.

alternatively, lay down a summon sign and get a free preview of what the boss fight is like with a side benefit of more runes if ya beat em'

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
This game gives me such a feeling of imposter syndrome, every boss I kill makes me feel like I cheesed it somehow, or just got lucky. Only starting the second area now and regular mobs are just wiping the floor with me. I feel very not ready, but I'll keep hitting my head against it until I get somewhere. Best thing about this game IMO, you actually want to keep trying. The fights are just so well set up to make you realize yeah, death was probably your fault, you didn't know the moveset, you panic rolled at a bad time, tried to wind up a big attack at a bad moment.

Most epic thing so far in this game is when you and whatever you're fighting decide to do a giant jump attack at each other at the same time, and that millisecond in midair when you're waiting for the game to tell you which hit landed first.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Beat the final boss and got one of the endings. I happened to enable a 'secret' ending by accident involving a falling puzzle while listening to violin music. The dungeon prior to that part is pretty terrible though, with a lot of wandering through pipes. I was just looking for the final boss, and didn't see the other path in the Capital of Ash.

My character.

I am sure I completely hosed most of the NPC quests, but I'll worry more about that when information is better fleshed out. I never even found some of the NPCs. I mostly did stuff blind, because you can only do your first playthrough once. More fun to not have a wiki open as you play for the first time, I find.

My weapon of choice was the bloodhound fang. Just a nice overall curved sword with a great weapon art, and innate bleed. It is even resin-buffable, which I often did to double up on the bleed. Got it to +10 at the end, which is the max for boss weapons. I am sure you all see a lot of ghosts of people with it on. I didn't even use a shield all game. I just two handed it. Had enough armor to trade with most things profitably, but I did always try to dodge.

Some thoughts.
1) Get motherfucking vitality. The soft cap is 40. It scales exceptionally well up to that point. I feel like with most builds for most characters, you want to get min stats for your weapon of choice, enough endurance to hold what you want to hold, and then pump vit straight to 40. You can worry about scaling stats later on when your weapons are better upgraded and the scaling is more impactful. I think a lot of the people whining about difficulty in other places are making glassy builds and wondering why they are falling over. I didn't actually die to bosses all that much past godrick. I took around five attempts at the gimmick god-eater snake, and three at the final boss. The other great rune bosses past Godrick got killed on the first try, blind. I mean, I still died plenty, but it was often to gravity or me just being stupid.

2) Spirit summons are the bomb. If anything, this is the fromsoft game where summoning human help is the least helpful, and I didn't bother with it past Godrick. I used the jellyfish at the start for some tanking, before switching to the kaiden sellsword, since he was one of the cheaper fp cost single powerful summons. I am not stacked on fp, so the cost matters. The best summon by far seems to be the mimic though. It creates a clone of your character, including anything that is in your item bar. It will use any resins and such you have equipped. Probably spells too, but my character is too dumb for those. Even better, the summon takes hp instead of fp, which is great for low-mind dumbasses like my character. I had just enough fp to use my full weapon art skill four times (which was exceptionally powerful). My mimic and myself weapon arting a boss a few times was almost always good enough take things down very fast.

3) If you are looking for weapon upgrade materials, be on the lookout for mines. A lot of them show up as weird looking red spots on the map. You can often come out with with a lot of upgrade materials, and potentially a ball bearing that unlocks buying a tier of material.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 1, 2022

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is are there any talismans or armor that increase runefinding or item finding? That a thing in this game?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm curious as to how the game is being received in Japan. I can't find poo poo when trying to google search for japanese reviews.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Cimber posted:

Ahhh, ok. It was the storm stomp one, first one you got. Im a dex build (warrior), running around with 20 dex and a flail which is nice, but a bit slow.

Mind you, i have been playing close to 15 hours just dicking around on the east side of the map, I have not killed the first boss yet in the castle (but have died a few times to him).

I've also been putting a lot of points into stamina, I think my equipment load is close to 60ish now. I wonder if I've hosed up and should restart.

Endurance is good. It's where all my points are going now, because I'm a noob to the franchise and I pumped all my easy points into vigor and strength because I was seduced by the siren song of a colossal sword. Which I can swing 3 times because my endurance is 10. I noticed it when I started to fat-roll everywhere holding nothing but this sword and a pair of pants. So yeah all my points are going into endurance for a while now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

After my third Erdtree Avatar I'm growing really bored of this stupid fight. They really couldn't have changed it up at all?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Willfrey posted:

Is are there any talismans or armor that increase runefinding or item finding? That a thing in this game?

Haven't found any talismans, but there are consumable items which boost both stats. Both seem pretty rare, I would save them for if you want to farm something specific.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

PerilPastry posted:

Hope this doesn't start a console war or anything but is one considered better than the other? Or is any xbox or ps wireless controller a safe bet?

Stadia Controller.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Filthy Monkey posted:

Beat the final boss and got one of the endings. My character.

I am sure I completely hosed most of the NPC quests, but I'll worry more about that when information is better fleshed out. I just did stuff blind, because you can only do your first playthrough once. I also happened to enable a 'secret' ending by accident involving a falling puzzle while listening to violin music. The dungeon prior to that part is pretty terrible though, with a lot of wandering through pipes. I was just looking for the final boss, and didn't see the other path in the Capital of Ash.

My weapon of choice was the bloodhound fang. Just a nice overall curved sword with a great weapon art, and innate bleed. It is even resin-buffable, which I often did to double up on the bleed. Got it to +10 at the end, which is the max for boss weapons. I am sure you all see a lot of ghosts of people with it on. I didn't even use a shield all game. I just two handed it. Had enough armor to trade with most things profitably, but I did always try to dodge.

Some thoughts.
1) Get motherfucking vitality. The soft cap is 40. It scales exceptionally well up to that point. I feel like with most builds for most characters, you want to get min stats for your weapon of choice, enough endurance to hold what you want to hold, and then pump vit straight to 40. You can worry about scaling stats later on when your weapons are better upgraded and the scaling is more impactful. I think a lot of the people whining about difficulty in other places are making glassy builds and wondering why they are falling over. I didn't actually die to bosses all that much past godrick. I took around five attempts at the gimmick god-eater snake, and three at the final boss. The other great rune bosses past Godrick got killed on the first try, blind. I mean, I still died plenty, but it was often to gravity or me just being stupid.

2) Spirit summons are the bomb. If anything, this is the fromsoft game where summoning human help is the least helpful, and I didn't bother with it past Godrick. I used the jellyfish at the start for some tanking, before switching to the kaiden sellsword, since he was one of the cheaper fp cost single powerful summons. I am not stacked on fp, so the cost matters. The best summon by far seems to be the mimic though. It creates a clone of your character, including anything that is in your item bar. It will use any resins and such you have equipped. Probably spells too, but my character is too dumb for those. Even better, the summon takes hp instead of fp, which is great for low-mind dumbasses like my character. I had just enough fp to use my full weapon art skill four times (which was exceptionally powerful). My mimic and myself weapon arting a boss a few times was almost always good enough take things down very fast.

3) If you are looking for weapon upgrade materials, be on the lookout for mines. A lot of them show up as weird looking red spots on the map. You can often come out with with a lot of upgrade materials, and potentially a ball bearing that unlocks buying a tier of material.

What if you put the bleed weapon art on it, would that make it even bleedier?

I don't understand those. Weapons that should be hitting like trucks do decidedly less damage when I make them sharp or heavy with the appropriate stats leveled.

As a result I don't use any of the ashes of war since standard weapons just seem to do better.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 1, 2022

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Filthy Monkey posted:

Beat the final boss and got one of the endings. My character.

Do you remember where the mimic spirit is? Sounds dope.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Jaytan posted:

After killing Radahn, a new area opens up. Down in that area, behind a gargoyle door, the mimic ashes are in a chest. It is pretty much the best thing since sliced bread, and everybody should get it immediately.

lite_sleepr posted:

What if you put the bleed weapon art on it, would that make it even bleedier?
It is a boss weapon which upgrades with somber, meaning you can't swap out the weapon art or the scaling. It eventually gets C str/B dex scaling though. The weapon art is excellent anyway. You wouldn't want to change it.

You can get the weapon right at the start of the game with a pretty easy fight, and it is easily good enough for the entire game.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 1, 2022

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Haven't found any talismans, but there are consumable items which boost both stats. Both seem pretty rare, I would save them for if you want to farm something specific.

yeah i'm aware of those things. I did pop one when i killed the dragon near faroth tower, an easy 100k right there. I have the crafting recipe but i won't be bothered to find the rare ingredient location

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Jaytan posted:

Vague spoiler, then specific.

Vague: underground

Specific: Search Limgrave for a cluster of floating rocks (I think they might only appear after beating Radahn, not sure about that). Jump down and you'll find the main entrance to the underground city, you get the mimic summon from a chest behind a gargoyle door.

e: fixed, misremembered

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

People were saying PS4 version on PS5 was best.

Is there a difference? I’m playing PS5 version on PS5 (Performance Mode) and besides a bit of stutter sometimes I haven’t had any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Beat the final boss and got one of the endings. I happened to enable a 'secret' ending by accident involving a falling puzzle while listening to violin music. The dungeon prior to that part is pretty terrible though, with a lot of wandering through pipes. I was just looking for the final boss, and didn't see the other path in the Capital of Ash.

My character.

Are you level 118? Can't read the numbers clearly.