Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

They're doing a whole lot of poo poo over in Japan for the series' anniversary, and it's just about everything except announcing a new goddamn anime.

Most of the actors even reprised their roles for a mobile game event a couple years ago so it’s not like they’re unavailable or anything (though Amelia sounds kind of rough these days in my opinion). I’m still hoping for a full revival of the series soon at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Larryb posted:

So what has Wakanim done out of curiosity? This is the first I’ve ever heard of them

They're known for having the best video quality in anime streaming though they also hardcode their subtitles.

The other thing they're known for is being very litigious about piracy, which is why you don't see their rips uploaded anywhere point blank. Some fansubbers use their video by dehardsubbing them tho.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

They're known for having the best video quality in anime streaming though they also hardcode their subtitles.

The other thing they're known for is being very litigious about piracy, which is why you don't see their rips uploaded anywhere point blank. Some fansubbers use their video by dehardsubbing them tho.

Do they have any shows that Crunchyroll doesn’t out of curiosity? If so, I wonder if there’s a chance we could get some English translations of their work out of this merger.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I figured this is what would happen with the Funi/CR merger. CR as a name is way to big to give up and so rolling Funi into it made more sense. The Funimation name will live on as the BD/DVD arm of things.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the funimation insert was kinda pretty

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Black Stones posted:

I figured this is what would happen with the Funi/CR merger. CR as a name is way to big to give up and so rolling Funi into it made more sense. The Funimation name will live on as the BD/DVD arm of things.

They'll also probably still be producing a lot of the dubs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Also it appears that Funimation will continue dubbing/subbing new shows so all that’s really changed now is where you can find them

It’s already been confirmed they’re doing a simuldub of the upcoming Kamen Rider W anime for example

marumaru
May 20, 2013

marumaru posted:

the funimation insert was kinda pretty

nevermind, this is funimation's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvsXqdLbIzA

it's ugly

marumaru
May 20, 2013

now im trying to remember this intro to one of these companies that i vaguely recall being kinda cool

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

marumaru posted:

it's ugly

I hate it

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

marumaru posted:

it's ugly

what a goddamn mess

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

marumaru posted:

it's ugly

at this point I've seen it in front of so many movies at the theater that it makes my brain tell me I'm about to have a good time

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Larryb posted:

Do they have any shows that Crunchyroll doesn’t out of curiosity? If so, I wonder if there’s a chance we could get some English translations of their work out of this merger.

They've always had English translations too. You generally don't see it because again region locked + no piracy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

They've always had English translations too. You generally don't see it because again region locked + no piracy.

Ah, in that case do they have any notable shows the other two don’t?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.wakanim.tv/fr/v2/catalogue

This is their catalogue. The biggest thing that stands out to me that Crunchy doesn't in the US is Made in Abyss, but I don't know how that would work considering it's currently licensed to other services in America.

E: Oh, they also have the Heaven's Feel movies. I don't think those are on Crunchy.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 1, 2022

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Larryb posted:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2022/03/01/funimation-titles-now-available-on-crunchyroll

I seem to recall some of Funimation’s stuff being on Crunchyroll before a few years back, nice to see it reinstated (no Slayers unfortunately though)

God drat, I was JUST about to check to see if Slayers was on Crunchyroll now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It might show up later. They're promising at least 80% of the catalogue by the end of the month.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Oh, hey. They got Log Horizon back.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

God drat, I was JUST about to check to see if Slayers was on Crunchyroll now.

It used to be a while back but we’ll see if they reupload it (I think it might still be on Funimation’s YouTube channel at least)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm hopefully it means the Nanoha Reflection/Detonation appears on Crunchyroll but I expect everything to be geo locked

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shinjobi posted:

More slayers

More endorph

More posts

this tbh

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yo my next life as a villainess is still good

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Namtab posted:

yes. yes it is.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Namtab posted:

I felt the anime adaptation might be a better version of books 3+4 (and a strong 1+2,) but past that I think the LNs are better. The second season of the show compressed a lot.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Luckily I can’t read anything longer than a post or subtitle

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Zorak used to tell people to read a book. I will never read a book.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Namtab posted:

I feel like it kinda dragged its premise out a bit too much, though I still haven’t tried the second season. Does it do more to keep things fresh?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
manga are books

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Julias posted:

manga are books

no, it's printed anime.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/crunchyroll-adds-funimation-anime-sony-1235192876/

So it looks like the Funimation brand is going away entirely. Funimation Global Group LLC will operate as Crunchyroll LLC.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
On one hand, the Funimation apps really, really sucked.
On the other hand, more competition is good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

steaming services aren't really competing in a way that benefits consumers when they all have mutually exclusive libraries. anime streams competed in terms of grabbing seasonals, but for legal viewers that just meant rolling the odds on whether you needed one or two subs to watch what you wanted. basically all new anime distribution getting rolled under one company still isn't good, but it's basically just a different kind of bad imo

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

On one hand, the Funimation apps really, really sucked.
On the other hand, more competition is good.

They've been owned by the same parent company for a while now, it wasn't really competition at this point tbh.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Namtab posted:

Zorak used to tell people to read a book. I will never read a book.

He recommended "The High Frontier" by Gerard K O'Neill to me because I was interested in proposed space colony technology.

It was a cool as hell, but very dry read.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

competition is good, but hidive hid away nadia the secret of blue water so they unfortunately must perish

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I’m glad I only have to pay one subscription now, personally

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/crunchyroll-adds-funimation-anime-sony-1235192876/

So it looks like the Funimation brand is going away entirely. Funimation Global Group LLC will operate as Crunchyroll LLC.

Wonder what this means for Australia given that Animelab only just finished rolling into Funimation AU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

posting because its lol

https://twitter.com/MidnightMitch/status/1498805885996519426

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They've been owned by the same parent company for a while now, it wasn't really competition at this point tbh.

yes I know, but Tubi doesn't have new stuff (yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

you've seen "is arcane anime"
you've seen "are light novels anime"
you've even accepted that anime streamers aren't anime

introducing: are american politics anime