Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
There is no question Howard was broadcasting from Florida at some point. Interviews being pretaped wouldn't have been a big deal to me. Gary moving to Maine definitely made me think the team may stay remote for the rest of the contract (3 or 4 years left?), but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Imagine if Howard reups for another five years

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

haljordan posted:

Imagine if Howard reups for another five years

Wouldn't you? Give me $10 million to work 3 hours for 30 days a year and I'll do it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Wouldn't you? Give me $10 million to work 3 hours for 30 days a year and I'll do it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I don't think there's anyway for satellite anything to be counted in a 'viewers/listeners' kind of way, Direct TV can't do it because there's no signal being sent back to the satellite, all the authorization as to what tiers you pay for is done by the device, which is reception only.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Lifespan posted:

There is no question Howard was broadcasting from Florida at some point. Interviews being pretaped wouldn't have been a big deal to me. Gary moving to Maine definitely made me think the team may stay remote for the rest of the contract (3 or 4 years left?), but who knows.

He is *currently* in Florida isn't he? If you look at photos or videos from right when the pandemic started you can see the change in the set. I know it became more professional but you can see how it completely changed. The floor at the start was the floor of his sports bar basement that were leaked online by the interior design company. Then it completely changed. No other area in those leaked photos matches what the set looks like now. I'd bet money he's been in Florida for the better part of a 18 months if not more.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It's winter and he's working from home, of course he's in Florida.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

haljordan posted:

I'm not a big Dylan fan but it's funny because usually people describe his concerts as either the best one they've ever been to OR the shittiest night of their life lol. No middle ground.

I can confirm this. I’ve seen Dylan twice — the first time, it was the most baffling and unintelligible thing I’d ever heard. The second time, it was the best show I’d ever seen. Might have something to do with alcohol intake, or lack thereof, before the show, but it basically comes down to whether he feels like enunciating.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I mean sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit, that's a good deal.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Howard is going to be mumbling into the microphone like Imus until he either dies or the Russians blow up Sirius’ satellites thinking that they belong to the CIA.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Two Kings posted:

The cringiest is when they bring guests” in studio” in some sort of Pottery Barn display and talk to Howard on a TV screen.
A lot of those guests are actually in the SiriusXM studio in Los Angeles. It's still true that Howard is lazy and is hyping up Covid to have an excuse to stay home, though.

EngineerJoe posted:

It's winter and he's working from home, of course he's in Florida.
I doubt it since his mother is ill and he's been helping take care of her.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Former Human posted:

A lot of those guests are actually in the SiriusXM studio in Los Angeles. It's still true that Howard is lazy and is hyping up Covid to have an excuse to stay home, though.

I doubt it since his mother is ill and he's been helping take care of her.

The most recent stuff appears to be in a bad set in NY. His mother is ill? It would be nuts if his mom outlives his deaf dad, but I'm rooting for both of them to break 100 at this point. "I'm parting the hairs"

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I mean sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit, that's a good deal.

It actually is a fantastic deal for Howard and I can't blame him. He's been putting out a show for the last ~10 years that is arguably -- or otherwise indecipherable from -- a deliberate "gently caress you" to SXM, while completely eliminating any and all additional programming, and yet they keep throwing money at him. And now that they're content to let him have his podcast bunker and "broadcast" from home? It's free money, and quite a lot of money.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

It actually is a fantastic deal for Howard and I can't blame him. He's been putting out a show for the last ~10 years that is arguably -- or otherwise indecipherable from -- a deliberate "gently caress you" to SXM, while completely eliminating any and all additional programming, and yet they keep throwing money at him. And now that they're content to let him have his podcast bunker and "broadcast" from home? It's free money, and quite a lot of money.

I agree with you, but I was mostly posting to reference good ol' Clay Davis from The Wire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70eU840lc38

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I agree with you, but I was mostly posting to reference good ol' Clay Davis from The Wire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70eU840lc38

Oh, well that's fine, as he's immensely quotable. He even shows up as a DEA agent in the movie "25th Hour" and dials up the overacting for all of his five minutes of screen time in that one.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Are there pictures of Richard's cum hat anywhere?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

If there was ever a time to update the admittedly evergreen thread title...

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

this is a beautiful sentence

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Mods, you know what to do. You KNOW what to DO.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Alleged unreleased song from the album Big White Cadillac by the bigfoot band it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOr0ReSs-fs

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

wesleywillis posted:

Alleged unreleased song from the album Big White Cadillac by the bigfoot band it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOr0ReSs-fs

I could be wrong, but he sounds a little off-key to me.

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

I drive a big white Cadillac. I get around.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Analog posted:

I drive a big white Cadillac. I get around.

I got hilly clinton on the phone

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I wanna gently caress you like an aminal it is

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I finished "Too Fat to Fish" today and I remember listening to the show when it came out. It is super clear he is still a full heroin addict at the end and it's nuts that no one really called that out at the time. Super weird that so much of the book is from the "I was out of my mind" standpoint while he had not hit near bottom and it's more like a history of his enablers. The MADtv crew should have given him the boot so many times...
I went ahead and picked up "Crash and Burn" because it was like $3 on Audible and so far it is far more interesting just because it is coming from an even lower standpoint and it is all stories that were not shared on Stern.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
I googled to make sure Bigfoot was still alive (he is).. but I forgot about both crackhead bob and evil dave.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Evil Dave is under covered. His story with the show seems totally crazy and too many people shrug it off.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Lifespan posted:

Evil Dave is under covered. His story with the show seems totally crazy and too many people shrug it off.

He helped me deal with my low self-estidle.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lifespan posted:

Can you give me a summary?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Lifespan posted:

I finished "Too Fat to Fish" today and I remember listening to the show when it came out. It is super clear he is still a full heroin addict at the end and it's nuts that no one really called that out at the time. Super weird that so much of the book is from the "I was out of my mind" standpoint while he had not hit near bottom and it's more like a history of his enablers. The MADtv crew should have given him the boot so many times...
I went ahead and picked up "Crash and Burn" because it was like $3 on Audible and so far it is far more interesting just because it is coming from an even lower standpoint and it is all stories that were not shared on Stern.

I listened to Crash and Burn years ago on YouTube. I enjoyed it. It's read by an older guy, and with his voice it sounds like a regretful telling of his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuRvz0lBb44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaucHkXNVTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To2oJltzkag

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

$2,500 lmao get the gently caress outta here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403363321242?hash=item5dea53d59a:g:jhsAAOSwcqlhvjLk

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I remember in like 2001 when I was working at Circuit City a woman came in and asked me if there was any way to tape Stern every day with a boom box and cassettes while she was at work. I told her not really, the show is 5 hours long, that you'd be spending like seven dollars a day in cassette tapes, and you'd have to be there to swap the cassettes out anyway as the tapes ran out. I told her she could probably do it on her computer but she wasn't interested. I don't blame her, it was the Windows ME days.

Anyway apparently someone out there did record the show that way which seems crazy. Is there any use for that lot anyway? Like are there any episodes that have never been dumped?

People are getting over $100 on ebay for random VHS tapes of random MTV timeslots in the 90s so nothing would surprise me.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 4, 2022

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Anyway apparently someone out there did record the show that way which seems crazy. Is there any use for that lot anyway? Like are there any episodes that have never been dumped?

"Use" is up to interpretation I suppose but there's definitely a lot of material that will never be played again in Sternthology or the equivalent, a/k/a/ the material he wants to pretend doesn't exist. The bulk of his run in the 90s through the 2000s is all over the place online. I think it was probably the source of those Trump audio drops that were released just before the 2020 election.

People are getting over $100 on ebay for random VHS tapes of random MTV timeslots in the 90s so nothing would surprise me.

There's a market for crapped tape off TV in the 90s? poo poo, I threw away a goldmine.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Can you give me a summary?

-None of what he did was an act or impression. That was his real voice, his real inability to read, and he would constantly make up his own jokes that made no sense.
-He was from the same neighborhood as Dave and worked a 9-5 office job in what I remember being sales. He had a wife, but I don't think a kid.
-His wife blamed the show for any trouble he would get in to. That includes when he randomly showed up on the show one day with his "girlfriend" and said he divorced his wife. When they asked his wife she said none of it was true and banned him from going on the show ever again.
-Of course he continued to go on the show, but he would do it by sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night and hiding in the bushes until someone came by to pick him up.
-The staff say that he was just super odd. Friendly, but so loving weird no one could hold a conversation with him. Gary said that one time Dave walked up to him with a standard yellow bag of Lays potato chips and said that he loved them and just HAD to know where Gary got them

There's a bunch of other stuff and I think one of the YouTube compilations has all the wrap up show stuff from after he died where they shared a all of these stories.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I remember in like 2001 when I was working at Circuit City a woman came in and asked me if there was any way to tape Stern every day with a boom box and cassettes while she was at work. I told her not really, the show is 5 hours long, that you'd be spending like seven dollars a day in cassette tapes, and you'd have to be there to swap the cassettes out anyway as the tapes ran out. I told her she could probably do it on her computer but she wasn't interested. I don't blame her, it was the Windows ME days.

The way to record the Stern show was to run your radio through a VCR, and use a six-hour tape to get the whole thing on there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lifespan posted:

-None of what he did was an act or impression. That was his real voice, his real inability to read, and he would constantly make up his own jokes that made no sense.
-He was from the same neighborhood as Dave and worked a 9-5 office job in what I remember being sales. He had a wife, but I don't think a kid.
-His wife blamed the show for any trouble he would get in to. That includes when he randomly showed up on the show one day with his "girlfriend" and said he divorced his wife. When they asked his wife she said none of it was true and banned him from going on the show ever again.
-Of course he continued to go on the show, but he would do it by sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night and hiding in the bushes until someone came by to pick him up.
-The staff say that he was just super odd. Friendly, but so loving weird no one could hold a conversation with him. Gary said that one time Dave walked up to him with a standard yellow bag of Lays potato chips and said that he loved them and just HAD to know where Gary got them

There's a bunch of other stuff and I think one of the YouTube compilations has all the wrap up show stuff from after he died where they shared a all of these stories.

Holy poo poo, this is fascinating.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

What about the time Dave mentioned to Artie that he could record an outgoing message on his answering machine so Artie, not caring much one way or the other, said "Uh ok sure." Then, as soon as Dave finishes, he turns to Artie and says "Y'know, I usually get $50 for this." :lol:

Also I think Dave had super bad breath/BO

haljordan fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 4, 2022

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I didn't realize Evil Dave was dead :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What was it he said during the newlywed game to Artie, like "You laugh or you get it, right Artie?"

Edit:

haljordan posted:

Also I think Dave had super bad breath/BO

It's probably way worse now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

It's probably way worse now.

Hey-oh!