Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Steen71 posted:

Criterion's edition of Miller's Crossing is cut by almost two minutes - because the Coens suffer from Lucasitis, I guess. Also, the transfer is exactly the same as the 2011 Fox edition.

They cut one of the best lines - "Jesus, Tom!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3YATAlIkk8

Wait really? Boooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I would love to hear from the Coens on this because you don't cut a line like that just because you're trying to fix a pacing issue or something. There must be some reason they didn't like the line.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Apparently Le Cercle Rouge also has a new color grading that is not well received.

What is going on? I haven’t followed physical releases until the last few years, but it seems like Criterion is piling up issues left and right in a way that they haven’t before. Both technical and w/ regards to changes in content.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if it's just the rise of other popular boutique labels that are making Criterions mistakes more glaring. For a long time Criterion was just far and away the best company for releasing older classic films so maybe we were just more willing to forgive these kind of issues.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my criterion Godzilla set started doing the glue thing others have talked about as well. i got a new custom case, i do hear they at least replace the discs if they get damaged? a couple of mine got glue on em but i haven't tested em yet.

i had also been planning on getting Millers Crossing but not now. Criterion fuckin up.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I would love to hear from the Coens on this because you don't cut a line like that just because you're trying to fix a pacing issue or something. There must be some reason they didn't like the line.

The most bizarre thing about it is that it's a recurring line, so why the hell remove ONE of them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QHuQuNo3tQ

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Inferior Collection

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if it's just the rise of other popular boutique labels that are making Criterions mistakes more glaring. For a long time Criterion was just far and away the best company for releasing older classic films so maybe we were just more willing to forgive these kind of issues.

prolly the combination of covid pressures and yeah the fact that the bar has been raised so much higher than it was 10 years ago. Criterion was hot stuff during the days when people were buying a ton of physical media and they scaled up their release schedule to be constantly churning stuff out, but perhaps it's been hard to scale that back down during the covid crunch where everything is being conducted over zoom. Also, much smaller companies like Kino Lorber and Arrow are doing really impressive restorations with the techniques that Criterion championed decades ago.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Yeah, much of it is that other companies have caught up to Criterion in terms of technology and the quality of restoration work, and I would argue some have surpassed Criterion at this point.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Boywhiz88 posted:

Apparently Le Cercle Rouge also has a new color grading that is not well received.

What is going on? I haven’t followed physical releases until the last few years, but it seems like Criterion is piling up issues left and right in a way that they haven’t before. Both technical and w/ regards to changes in content.

I think there's a few things going on.

The first thing is that in many cases, Criterion is just publishing what they have been given. They licensed out a new restoration, or the directors only offer their preferred cut of the film. The choice then becomes don't issue the film, or issue it.

The second thing is that by now, a lot of the films Criterion is issuing have been issued in high quality before. It's not like the DVD days where a film released by Criterion might not have ever had a decent home video issue. Or maybe previous issues were poor blotchy VHS copies. So now you have something to compare it to. It's quite possible that these issues have been around for a while, but when it's a big improvement on what came before, it doesn't stick out.

It also doesn't help that you have that one Italian house that does a lot of restoration who apparently thinks that films need to be more yellow.

Thirdly, people get used to what they've seen first. So it's possible that something isn't wrong, but because it's different, it stands out. A great example of this is Memories of Murder. The director oversaw and approved the transfer. I've even seen screenshots of older versions that were much, much brighter. And yeah, the Criterion looks different. But the police basement actually looks like a grimy police basement and not a sitcom set. But people will think the first version they saw was the correct one.

Fourthly, a lot of the case design issues just strikes of people putting form over function. Sure the Godzilla set is designed to put glue on your discs, but doesn't it look cool? And sure, Citizen Kane is a loving god awful abomination of a case with obvious design flaws like the fact that it's so tight you will eventually end up getting glue on the disc as you break it trying to get the disc out, and getting the disc out required bending the case backwards or else it will hit the middle panel. But it looks... Like poo poo. Seriously, they should not work with that designer again.

Finally, there seems to be a lot of QA issues. I wonder how much is people doing quick spot checks and not a full validation. I don't know.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Millers Crossing thing feels like the worst one yet though, just because it's literally a different edit of the film and they didn't disclose that and market it as a director's cut. It feels disingenuous and as someone who has bought a lot of their stuff it's like a slap in the face.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The Gdozilla set doesn't look cool. Even if it didn't get all hosed up and smear goo over the discs, it would still be impossible to fit on the drat shelf

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
the ritrovata piss vortex is really where it all started to go downhill for me

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Cemetry Gator posted:

The first thing is that in many cases, Criterion is just publishing what they have been given. They licensed out a new restoration, or the directors only offer their preferred cut of the film. The choice then becomes don't issue the film, or issue it.

Weeell, yes and no. For example, in the case of The Tree of Wooden Clogs Criterion simply issued the film that Ritrovata handed to them. Arrow, meanwhile, chose to do their own colour grading. I assume that Criterion could have done that if they'd wanted to. Comparison: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=14186&d2=14185&s1=144826&s2=144810&i=0&l=0

Cemetry Gator posted:

Thirdly, people get used to what they've seen first. So it's possible that something isn't wrong, but because it's different, it stands out. A great example of this is Memories of Murder. The director oversaw and approved the transfer. I've even seen screenshots of older versions that were much, much brighter. And yeah, the Criterion looks different. But the police basement actually looks like a grimy police basement and not a sitcom set. But people will think the first version they saw was the correct one.

I highly recommend watching the film with the director + technical crew's commentary. The colours they describe often bear little to no resemblance to what you see on screen in the Criterion edition; but they match exactly what you see in the original CJ Entertainment release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Worth noting that even Army of Shadows has fairly unconventional color timing and its restoration and transfer were supervised by the DoP over a decade ago.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So The Music Lovers is about to rotate off the channel anyway, but is there something off with the transfer? I kept noticing little pixel-edge effects on some of the finer textures, including the sheet music, and looking around it seems to only have gotten a DVD release. Is this another movie of Ken Russel's that just hasn't gotten proper treatment? I can't imagine this being as controversial as The Devils, so what gives?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

So The Music Lovers is about to rotate off the channel anyway, but is there something off with the transfer? I kept noticing little pixel-edge effects on some of the finer textures, including the sheet music, and looking around it seems to only have gotten a DVD release. Is this another movie of Ken Russel's that just hasn't gotten proper treatment? I can't imagine this being as controversial as The Devils, so what gives?

I'm surprised it's even on there at all. That film is hard to find and yeah, I don't think it has ever been restored. A lot of Russell's stuff is in limbo and The Music Lovers is one of them.

The BBC composer series has been restored.

I think there's a blu of Mahler, but from what I could tell it's only available out of Japan?

The Rainbow might as well be lost to time, prolly same for The Planets,

The Devils is locked away, censored DVD copies only or bootlegs from Korea.

The Boy Friend and Women In Love have excellent blu rays.

Savage Messiah, Lisztomania, and Valentino I have no idea, as well as the lesser known films.

Altered States and Tommy have normal blu releases.

Crimes of Passion is on Arrow?

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
How does everyone feel about Smooth Talk with Laura Dern and Treat Williams?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino is releasing The Night of the Hunter on UHD with a new 4K restoration in Dolby Vision.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Here's a full list of all the changes made to the Criterion edition of Miller's Crossing: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=111233

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Steen71 posted:

Here's a full list of all the changes made to the Criterion edition of Miller's Crossing: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=111233

Ok, that's just nuts.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Looks like the Coens cut a few frames here and there lots of times and removed a second or two in a few places too. I get trimming the movie a little but the "Jesus, Tom!" scene being removed is a head scratcher. I'd rather they left the movie alone entirely though. Glad I've still got my unfucked with Blu ray.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
And if you're wondering exactly how the scene plays out now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crcYCOq-XqI

It's just pointless and removes a great character moment.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Possibly a stupid question, but is there any order for Yasujirō Ozu's, what is it called?, Season Cycle of films? Are they self-contained, are they better watched in release order, or am I good in pursuing them in time with seasons, starting with Early Spring?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Steen71 posted:

And if you're wondering exactly how the scene plays out now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crcYCOq-XqI

It's just pointless and removes a great character moment.

While I lament the cutting of that line and not being the original theatrical version, I can see why the Coens did it. The sequence is funny enough as it is and the line is sort of a "hat on a hat" situation.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Franchescanado posted:

Possibly a stupid question, but is there any order for Yasujirō Ozu's, what is it called?, Season Cycle of films? Are they self-contained, are they better watched in release order, or am I good in pursuing them in time with seasons, starting with Early Spring?
Ozu's late period beginning with Late Spring carry over themes of love, marriage, loss, growing old, and death with subtle iterations but are otherwise self-contained. I guess watch them in release order, but watching them in time with the seasons seems like a neat idea too

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

VoodooXT posted:

While I lament the cutting of that line and not being the original theatrical version, I can see why the Coens did it. The sequence is funny enough as it is and the line is sort of a "hat on a hat" situation.

I disagree. Without "Jesus Tom", you kinda miss extra layers. That they're friendly enough to be on a first name basis, and that the guy's just doing his job, the whole act of being him up is a perfunctory thing that's "just gotta be done", and it's funnier that his feelings are hurt because Tom went for his nose, with a CHAIR of all things.

It's like if you cut out the joke about getting Norm nightcrawlers in Fargo. The scene's already darkly funny, you already know Marge is a thoughtful wife, you know there's a simplicity to the characters, so you don't need it, but it's also one of the best jokes in the movie for all it adds.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I disagree. Without "Jesus Tom", you kinda miss extra layers. That they're friendly enough to be on a first name basis, and that the guy's just doing his job, the whole act of being him up is a perfunctory thing that's "just gotta be done", and it's funnier that his feelings are hurt because Tom went for his nose, with a CHAIR of all things.

It's like if you cut out the joke about getting Norm nightcrawlers in Fargo. The scene's already darkly funny, you already know Marge is a thoughtful wife, you know there's a simplicity to the characters, so you don't need it, but it's also one of the best jokes in the movie for all it adds.

I said I can see why they did it, I didn't say I agreed with it. :v:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Lost Highway is coming to Criterion as Janus Films is listed as distributor for a new 4K restoration being shown at Lincoln Center. Kino's rep asserted that they still had Blu/DVD rights for another year or so, so perhaps Criterion will do a UHD exclusive for once.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

very excited to order the Lost Highway criterion UHD and then get a replacement disc + $10 store credit two weeks later when people find its big hilarious flaw

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Brexit the Frog posted:

very excited to order the Lost Highway criterion UHD and then get a replacement disc + $10 store credit two weeks later when people find its big hilarious flaw

halfway through the movie, bill pullman is accidentally replaced with balthazer getty. we will be recalling the affected discs.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Flash sale confirmed for tomorrow, March 8, starting at noon EST!

For those unfamiliar with their flash sales, it's 50% off all in-stock/in-print releases.

Ran out of time to do a recommends video, so I'm instead going to do a buyer beware list instead.

Obviously, I'm going to leave out anything DVD-only and out of print. That seems to amount to 752 releases that are in-print, on Blu-ray (including Blu+DVD and UHD+Blu). Please assume most of these are actually quite fine on their own and I'll only note serious flaws when needed.

Seven Samurai - New 4K restoration by Toho exists and incredibly likely we're getting a Bergman/Varda style complete works box set in the near future.

Amarcord - Essential Fellini box features newer 4K restoration.

The 400 Blows - New 4K restoration and UHD released in France, rumored we're getting a Blu or possibly UHD box of the Truffaut/Doniel films.

Beauty and the Beast - Newer 4K restoration exists, on Blu-ray from BFI (Region B)

Walkabout - New 4K restoration exists, on Blu-ray from Second Sight (B)

The Seventh Seal - New 4K restoration included in Ingmar Bergman's Cinema and just released on UHD by BFI (region free, but UK exclusive)

The Silence of the Lambs - UHD from Kino Lorber, but still definitive Blu-ray edition

Salo - New 4K restoration exists, possible Pasolini box coming

High and Low - See Seven Samurai

M - New 4K restoration exists

The Wages of Fear - New 4K restoration released by BFI in UK with more footage.

Yojimbo/Sanjuro - See Seven Samurai

Orpheus - New restoration exists and likely reissue of the Cocteau/Orphic Trilogy box coming soon

Do the Right Thing - UHD from Universal from same restoration, definitive for supplements still.

The Hidden Fortress - See Seven Samurai

Rashomon - See Seven Samurai

8 1/2 - New 4K restoration in Essential Fellini box, incredibly likely to get a UHD soon

Children of Paradise - Restoration used by Criterion has heavy noise reduction issues, no alternate without exists.

In the Mood for Love - Only way to get original version as World of Wong Kar Wai box has alterations.

Fear and Loathin in Las Vegas - New 4K remaster exists, Blu released by Arrow UK a few years ago. Very old transfer, but definitive extras.

The Killers (1946/1964) - New 4K restorations exist, released only in Germany

Throne of Blood - See Seven Samurai

The Rules of the Game - New 4K restoration using newly found camera negative recently completed.

Naked Lunch - Possibly coming to UHD from Arrow UK

Ikiru - See Seven Samurai

3 Women - Arrow UK Blu uses newer 4K remaster, but doesn't have the Altman commentary

The Tin Drum - Only includes director's cut, some foreign editions have both.

The Leopard - Very old transfer, newer 4K restoration exists, but unreleased outside Italy

Smiles of a Summer Night - Newer 2K restoration exists, oddly omitted from Ingmar Bergman's Cinema, but in BFI box set.

The Battle of Algiers - Newer 4K restoration exists.

F for Fake - New 4K restoration recently completed, though very good disc.

Naked - New 4K restoration coming to Blu from BFI

The Double Life of Veronique - New 4K restoration on UHD in France

Bicycle Thieves - Newer 4K restoration exists, only on Arrow UK Blu (B)

La haine - Newer 4K restoration on Blu from BFI UK (B)

Breathless - 4K UHD released in UK/France, likely coming in near future

Berlin Alexanderplatz - UK Second Sight edition has original 25fps speed encoded as 1080i50Hz, this encodes 25fps within 1080i60Hz.

The Last Emperor - Cropped to 2.00:1 per DoP's preference, but new 4K restoration exists in original 2.40:1 and rumored to be coming to Arrow UK.

Vampyr - UK Masters of Cinema from new 2K restoration just announced, but still a very good disc.

The Earrings of Madame de... - Some noise reduction issues, French edition apparently without issues.

El Norte - New 4K restoration exists

Wings of Desire - 4K restoration exists

Paris, Texas - 4K restoration exists

Paths of Glory - UHD coming from Kino Lorber this year.

The Night of the Hunter - UHD coming from Kino Lorber this year.

Easy Rider - UK UHD exists

The Killing/Killer's Kiss - UHD coming from Kino Lorber this year.

The Complete Jean Vigo - New 4K restorations exist with additional footage.

Three Colors - UHD box coming to France, likely to be released here by Criterion.

12 Angry Men - UHD coming from Kino Lorber this year.

Godzilla - Newer 4K restoration exists, not available outside Japan apparently.

Anatomy of a Murder - UHD included in Columbia Classics UHD Vol. 2 box set with most of the extras, plus a few exclusives.

Dressed to Kill - UHD coming from Kino Lorber

The Manchurian Candidate - UHD coming from Kino Lorber

Dr. Strangelove - UHD from Sony features all on-disc extras, same restoration

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me - Same 4K remaster featured in several collections of the original and revival TV show, but two exclusive interviews.

Some Like It Hot - UHD available from Kino Lorber from same restoration

In the Heat of the Night - UHD coming from Kino Lorber from same restoration

The Great Escape - UHD available from Kino Lorber from same remaster

The Elephant Man - UHD available in UK/France from same restoration

Parasite - UHD available from Universal, but without any notable supplements.

Crash - UHD available from Arrow UK with extensive supplements, but no Cronenberg commentary.

Miller's Crossing - Same transfer as Fox Blu-ray, but with about two minutes of footage trimmed out.

edit: Eight Hours Don't Make a Day and Dekalog are also 25fps productions slowed to 24fps for the Criterion editions while the UK editions from Arrow are 25fps via 1080i50Hz (both locked to B).

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 8, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

jesus what a post

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Three Colors - UHD box coming to France, likely to be released here by Criterion.

It has also, apparently, been retitled One Color: Yellow. :P

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=16940&d2=16941&s1=185415&s2=185427&i=17&l=0&a=0

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Why does Ritrovata like the color yellow so much?

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 8, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I appreciate the warning not to buy Salo because a better version is coming.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kino Lorber is where it's at these days

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
Great post by Egbert, though I'd note that the UHD HDR grade for Elephant Man is way, way too bright and contrasty, and extremely detrimental to the mood of the film. Strangelove is also one where the HDR goes a bit too far, but it's not nearly as bad.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I wonder what glaring error or edit is going to make me not want to buy the Kurosawa box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

RichterIX posted:

I wonder what glaring error or edit is going to make me not want to buy the Kurosawa box.

Rashomon now comes with a never before seen coda where it's revealed who was telling the truth