Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

Nothing hosed up with a Bulk/Cut
Scores of fighters say it's incredibly bad for you, so I'm not sure this is entirely correct.

Weight cutting in particular is devastating to the body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Trying to make weight or dehydrate yourself for a competition can be super hosed up.

A regular bulk/cut lifting cycle -- i.e., first you eat at a surplus and gain both muscle and fat, then you eat less and try to lose the fat while keeping the muscle -- is just how it goes afaik. You aren't wearing garbage bags or spitting out saliva or even targeting a specific number necessarily.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Anne Whateley posted:

Trying to make weight or dehydrate yourself for a competition can be super hosed up.

A regular bulk/cut lifting cycle -- i.e., first you eat at a surplus and gain both muscle and fat, then you eat less and try to lose the fat while keeping the muscle -- is just how it goes afaik. You aren't wearing garbage bags or spitting out saliva or even targeting a specific number necessarily.

Yeah, there's cutting weight and there's weight cutting. Cutting weight is losing water weight for an event or making weight. Both can be done with health in mind.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah there's a difference between a normal bulk/cut lifting regime and doing what pros do, the second thing ruins your body over time.

But all bulk/cut cycles are ultimately for aestethics. There's nothing wrong health-wise with having some fat over your muscles at a reasonable weight. We carry fat for a reason. You bulk/cut because you want rippling muscles to show. It also helps put on muscle at the fastest rate without ending up fat- bulk/cut will leave you looking like "person who lifts" way faster than eating around maintenance and just working hard. And with the latter you'll never look like a bodybuilder or athlete so much as vaguely fit, nor will you be as strong or fast.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 18, 2022

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
So how does one min-max their actual fitness, while also scoring high on aesthetics?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Steroids

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Fionordequester posted:

So how does one min-max their actual fitness, while also scoring high on aesthetics?

Reroll your character

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When I joined the college jujutsu club, we had to have a trained medic attend practice. (The only injuries we ever had were from people accidentally elbowing their partner when escaping from back mount.) We asked him about the worst sports injuries he'd ever seen, and he said that they were all weight cutting related. I was expecting, y'know, shins folding in half and poo poo like that.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Sockser posted:

Reroll your character

No can do! I'm in an Ironman. Best I can do is re-spec.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

precision posted:

Also disappointed that Daniel's butter drinking failson was literally only in like one scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXIRQ_8Q_9M

After coming across Cobra Kai a month ago, I watched through the movies for the first time, watched the series (twice), and slowly read through this entire thread.... patiently waiting to post this 2-second video

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Tanner Buchanan has definitely had stronger material to work with, but he's grown as an actor so much.

I maintain that Jacob Bertrand is the best younger actor in the bunch, though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

Tanner Buchanan has definitely had stronger material to work with, but he's grown as an actor so much.

I maintain that Jacob Bertrand is the best younger actor in the bunch, though.

It's fun watching a lot the behind the scenes stuff with the younger cast. Mary Mouser and Peyton List have such a great vibe together. It makes the fact that Sam and Tori are mortal enemies all the funnier.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://twitter.com/MartinKove/status/1522433980976361472

September 9th

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Oh snap, three months earlier than I expected. Get hype!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"I am gasoline."

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
lol at Johnny's FBI shirt

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

isaboo posted:

lol at Johnny's FBI shirt

Johnny AND Robbie's FBI shirts :allears:

Parenting!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Guarantee they say “Female Body Inspector”.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yep, there's a quick shot where you can see their backs lol

Badass.

Can't wait!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Something I feel like I've missed: where did Kreese's nervous tic of grabbing his shirt with both hands come from? Young Kreese doesn't do it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

these dudes are making a Duke Nukem movie by the way

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Something I feel like I've missed: where did Kreese's nervous tic of grabbing his shirt with both hands come from? Young Kreese doesn't do it.

You mean where he holds his gi’s lapels instead of crossing his arms? I’m pretty sure he did that in the original movie.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

TheCenturion posted:

You mean where he holds his gi’s lapels instead of crossing his arms? I’m pretty sure he did that in the original movie.
Yeah, but Young Kreese from the 60s flashbacks doesn't seem to ever do that. The show's pretty consistent in showing how characters unconsciously mimic the behavior of people they look up to so I'm curious where it came from.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 13, 2022

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Honestly, it's pretty standard. It's considered rude in a dojo to cross your arms, so you have to find something to do with your hands. Your choices are generally hold your belt or hold your lapels.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I didn't know that! Makes sense.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Sean Kanan as Mike Barnes confirmedfor season 5.

Spoilers in photos: https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/cobra-kai-season-5-release-date-photos

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

Sean Kanan as Mike Barnes confirmedfor season 5.

Spoilers in photos: https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/cobra-kai-season-5-release-date-photos

Personally, I can't wait to see what Johnny, Daniel, and Chozen's little tracksuit mafia thing's about.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hell yes

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm very impressed Martin Kove doesn't age so much as just weather.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Botox fillers will do that.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Dawgstar posted:

I'm very impressed Martin Kove doesn't age so much as just weather.

Cobra Kai never dies……..

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-aQM8JzoaE

i love her so much

PurpleSky
Jun 28, 2022
Just a reminder that Netflix releases new episodes tonight at 3:00 a.m. ET/12:00 a.m. PT. :dance:

I just know that I will be finished watching the season before the weekend is over but it will be fun, at least!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PurpleSky posted:

Just a reminder that Netflix releases new episodes tonight at 3:00 a.m. ET/12:00 a.m. PT. :dance:

I just know that I will be finished watching the season before the weekend is over but it will be fun, at least!

Wait really

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

yea really

PurpleSky
Jun 28, 2022

Yes! Here is a link.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Wow, sure enough. Netflix sent me an email about it a few days ago, but I somehow missed it. Awesome! Nice surprise to get this back so soon.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'n loving ready

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Oh drat I didn't know it was that soon. poo poo I gotta watch some Cobra Kai tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

https://collider.com/cobra-kai-season-5-review-netflix/
https://www.dexerto.com/tv-movies/cobra-kai-season-5-review-karate-kids-deliver-best-series-yet-1925673/
https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/cobra-kai-season-5-review-netflix-original-karate-kid/
https://www.pastemagazine.com/tv/netflix/cobra-kai-season-5-review/

"If you like Cobra Kai and revel in the melodrama of the myriad Karate Kid sequels, the fifth season of this series is an all you can eat buffet of deep cuts, callouts, world-building and karate face-offs literally decades in the making."

Haven't started watching yet, but reviews are in and they mostly seem to think it's pretty great! Probably gonna dive in after work today once I can relax.