Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

I think some units need some 'finisher' attack that does bonus damage vs knocked down enemies. This could be given to all Lance cavalry so when they knock over models their follow up attacks are doing way more damage. It also means chasing down fleeing enemies is way more deadly as they'll repeatedly trample them to death n the process.

They could give this skill to some 'beast' type units as well for the intent to rear charge or finish off fleeing enemies, as well as a few kinds of infantry like slayers or death runners.

Just give all units the minotaur bowling-ball charge. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Minotaurs are the best charging units in the game. They move at 20000 speed and instantly gib every unit that isn’t a Minotaur

Every single horse unit is extremely unwieldy.

Make cavalry extremely fragile to counterbalance a powerful charge I guess, ugh

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I think what makes Ogres so fun to play is that they are basically a minotaur army. Proc ambushes and go all leeroy Jenkins on enemy formations.

Speaking of ambushes, they changed it so that the AI makes a run for a map edge while you attack them. On one hand this is a little annoying since it means some units will escape. On the other hand you could theoretically ambush with a much weaker force and harass and cull down their forces on the way out to soften them up for your upcoming turn.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also ambushed armies get a fading debuff for the battles which is a nice touch.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I think they went a bit too far with the single-mindedness with with the AI just tried to escape from ambushes now though. Like I ambushed a bigger stack than my own as Kislev and they absolutely could have just rounded on me and probably won but they just ran straight towards the exit without any attempt to defend themselves at all letting me slaughter them on the run.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ogres are funny because even when they ambush a cathay caravan if you have enough spears and halberds they all just die. Even with the debuff and even if they have on paper a much better army.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hargrimm posted:

I think they went a bit too far with the single-mindedness with with the AI just tried to escape from ambushes now though. Like I ambushed a bigger stack than my own as Kislev and they absolutely could have just rounded on me and probably won but they just ran straight towards the exit without any attempt to defend themselves at all letting me slaughter them on the run.

Part of that is some players want more "realism" vs gameplay in stuff like that. In game you know if you can hold off the ambush. Actual soldiers and commanders may well book it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Part of that is some players want more "realism" vs gameplay in stuff like that. In game you know if you can hold off the ambush. Actual soldiers and commanders may well book it.

So apply a 15-30 second leadership debuff or something instead of just making them mindlessly run for it

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah it's pretty stupid

"oh no this smaller force is ambushing us! Better mindlessly run to the left like zombies while they destroy our forces"

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Not a tabletop person, but if anyone is, out of curiosity, how would they handle the transformation of the dragon kids? For GW it sounds like a great way to sell two models, one much more expensive than the other.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
two models for sure, like aos morathi

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There were also transformations for eye of chaos chart results and transformation of kadon actually turned the caster into a manticore instead of summoning one. In both cases you had to own the extra model and replace it when the transformation occurred. Morathi is from my understanding more reasonable and has both models in the box together.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I didn't expect to have workshop support by now, but having a timeline for that and some of the other stuff they're working on would be nice (even if the broader roadmap for the year is understandably not top priority now), especially since I feel like mods could fix a lot of the things I'm most annoyed with. I think I'll be pretty irritated if there isn't more clarity by the end of the week.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
The inclusion of the save lord/hero feature is weird. Being able to recruit a leveled disciplined lord/hero is way more cheaty than the respec mod or the mod that refreshes the lord/hero pool every turn, so I don't get why they didn't just add those things.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

peer posted:

two models for sure, like aos morathi

Funnily enough as of the last Campaign supplement 'Broken Realms', they're basically two separate characters you buy and deploy as a pair due to lore shenanigans, rather than being a transformation as before.

Dragon Kids would likely be how she originally was, or two separate unit entries for each form you could only bring either or of.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 1, 2022

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Just so be clear so I'm not missing anything: There are no land/take off buttons, right? Could have sworn I saw them in previews

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

PerilPastry posted:

Just so be clear so I'm not missing anything: There are no land/take off buttons, right? Could have sworn I saw them in previews

It's the furthest button on the left of the unit commands bar. It'll be greyed out for 10 seconds each time the selected unit(s) are hit by a melee attack however.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also on the off chance you’re Skarbrand, Khorne broke his wings so he can’t actually take off

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah that confused me for a while. I kept looking for a "Fly" button when I played Skarbrand until I realized what was up with him

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mercrom posted:

The inclusion of the save lord/hero feature is weird. Being able to recruit a leveled disciplined lord/hero is way more cheaty than the respec mod or the mod that refreshes the lord/hero pool every turn, so I don't get why they didn't just add those things.

Wait they come leveled? I thought it was enough that you could essentially savescum until you got your ideal Ice Court candidates or ensure always being able to recruit a trait of your choice for other heroes, but if you can just drop some max-level heroes and lords at will with ideal traits on top of that...

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

It's the furthest button on the left of the unit commands bar. It'll be greyed out for 10 seconds each time the selected unit(s) are hit by a melee attack however.

Thanks a lot. :)

Anyway, I just finished my first campaign, and I have to say as the intended culmination of three full games that final battle is unbelievably anticlimactic. One horrible, interminable melee grind of a battle followed by an unfulfilling cutscene and you're dumped to the you win screen. It's in keeping with the rest of the realm of chaos mechanics feeling like an unrewarding slug so I guess it's consistent if nothing else.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

So if cav suck due to bad charge damage what should I be fielding? Bear riders?

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

CancerCakes posted:

They're monstrous cavalry, so yes. The standard horse-riding cavalry units are the ones that feel underwhelming to use. Monstrous cav seems to have impactful charges and greater mass that lets them disengage much easier than standard cav, as well as being better suited to hanging in melee for more than 5-10 seconds at a time.

Bear riders may be the strongest unit in Kislev's arsenal, they certainly are when fielded in Boris' army

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
bear riders are the best unit in the kislev roster

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Collapsing Farts posted:

bear riders are the best unit in the kislev roster

Memes aside, they’re probably second best. The war sleds are the strongest.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

Wait they come leveled? I thought it was enough that you could essentially savescum until you got your ideal Ice Court candidates or ensure always being able to recruit a trait of your choice for other heroes, but if you can just drop some max-level heroes and lords at will with ideal traits on top of that...
Correct. In fact, you can export the same character multiple times. The costs scale up significantly if you want to recruit one of higher levels. I dont have the game running so I cant check but for example I exported the same Ice Witch at levels 1, 3, 7, and 9 just to test and I think the cost almost tripled from 3 to 7. The cost to recruit a saved character also varies based on how much XP they have, so a character that is level 1 with no XP costs less than a level 1 character that is a pixel from leveling up, and the cost scales in between.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CancerCakes posted:

Gryphon Legion are perfectly reasonable shock cavalry. Bear cavalry are actually slightly worse at being shock cav, imo, but they are also more durable when stuck in, come with anti-large, and heal better. They are noticeably more versatile and fill a niche that previously had not been filled (antilarge). They can also be used to screen ranged gunpowder infantry if needed, unlike cavalry, and fight well when stuck in with your infantry, unlike cavalry who need to disengage.

Gryphon Legion suffer in part because I could see bringing them along with bear riders except: Kislev also gets War Sleds, who also bring versatility in the form of skirmishing ranged fire and have excellent charge impact damage against massed infantry. On top of that, they are good against massed infantry. Which Kislev doesnt really struggle to fight, between their magic and omnipresent range.

They are cheaper and I probably will field some, but mostly on my backline lords and partially because I just like cavalry even if it isn't entirely optimal.

E: good to know about saving lords/heroes though.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 1, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just want to conquer chaos as Empire, playing with mods

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Trujillo posted:

If anyone is interested in trying out the new domination game mode, we're having our first warhammer 3 tournament! It'll start in one week from now and we'll be taking sign ups till then.

It's a casual, domination mode tournament so all skill levels are welcome. If you're interested, we use the "fight night" room of the total goonhammer discord ((https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ)) to organize pvp and tourneys.

The challonge page to register for the tourney: https://challonge.com/TW3ODB

For anyone who missed it and wants to join, our first wh3 tournament starts in a couple days but have room for about 4-5 more players. If you're wanting to get into multiplayer, it's a better way to do it than the ranked matchmaking, especially right now with pendelum being broken and stuff like that people trying to climb the ladder are abusing.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

In my first campaign, as Tzezentch, I only ever ended up controlling like 4 provinces and never more than 2 armies, one of which was just basic Horrors and the other of which was my Kairos doomstack. I felt like battles were easy enough, but economically I was always on the back foot, and between Cathay on one side and Ogres on the other I was always running from one fire to another.

Now I'm on turn 75 of my Cathay campaign with 6 full armies, of which 2 are peasants, 3 are Jade, and 1 is Miao Ying's Celestials, with a few Terra Cottas in each. I've got 11k income, pacified all of Cathay between me and my iron bro, none of the Norscans or Ogres really feel like threats. I wish I could just resummon the next two realms and close it out. The idea of hitting "next turn" for, like, 30 turns autoresolving Norscan sieges of my tier-5 Bastion walls doesn't seem super appealing, and neither does the idea of, idk, invading Ogredom or trying to take over the Chaos Wastes since that'll just make closing the next wave of portals all the more annoying. At least the Khorne realm forced me to fight Katarin so she wouldn't beat me to the Brass Citadel, that was at least an interesting play I wouldn't have made otherwise.

Realm of Tzeentch and Survival Battles aside, I think the campaign could be vastly improved by letting you speed up the next wave of gates somehow. Let me, like, pray to Chaos or something, vastly increasing chaos in my capital province but making the turn timer count down faster, or instantly spawn the portals but get multiple negative traits at once, or something. It'd also be a lot better if there was some way for your non-legendary lords to participate in the race - as it is it feels like the "optimal" play is to just make your home province tall, support a single doomstack for your lord, and do nothing else while you wait for the next set of portals, since being able to control more territory or field more armies is essentially irrelevant to the overall campaign goal.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I'm having an incredibly annoying bug. Whenever I start a new campaign the battles seem to use legendary rules no matter what difficulty. I can't use the overview map and pause opens the menu. It works correctly when loading old saves.

Validating files on steam found some files to replace but the problem is still there.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Muscle Tracer posted:

Now I'm on turn 75 of my Cathay campaign with 6 full armies, of which 2 are peasants, 3 are Jade, and 1 is Miao Ying's Celestials, with a few Terra Cottas in each. I've got 11k income, pacified all of Cathay between me and my iron bro, none of the Norscans or Ogres really feel like threats. I wish I could just resummon the next two realms and close it out. The idea of hitting "next turn" for, like, 30 turns autoresolving Norscan sieges of my tier-5 Bastion walls doesn't seem super appealing, and neither does the idea of, idk, invading Ogredom or trying to take over the Chaos Wastes since that'll just make closing the next wave of portals all the more annoying. At least the Khorne realm forced me to fight Katarin so she wouldn't beat me to the Brass Citadel, that was at least an interesting play I wouldn't have made otherwise.

I found the iron dragon to be more interesting. The computer Northern Province is generally inept so things are dicier that way if you leave it alone. I like to go through the mountains to the south, at the edge of the map basically, and then west, conquering ogres and forging alliances with dwarves and lizardmen along the way (for fun outpost units), colonizing the eventual Chaos Dwarf area, and ending up on the borders of the Empire and Kislev.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Mercrom posted:

I'm having an incredibly annoying bug. Whenever I start a new campaign the battles seem to use legendary rules no matter what difficulty. I can't use the overview map and pause opens the menu. It works correctly when loading old saves.

Validating files on steam found some files to replace but the problem is still there.

Make sure Battle Realism is disabled.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Azran posted:

Make sure Battle Realism is disabled.

Oh wow I missed that option. Thanks!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I mean, if CA wants to drop the big map for everyone, that works, you can play on it if you only own WH3 and it essentially acts as a gigantic advertisement for the stuff from the other two. PLUS, that opens up the avenue of DLC that only applies to the big map, although that would likely be much, much further down the line.

I don't think they'll do this immediately, if they even do it at all, though.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Seconding whoever said Slaanesh snootlers are good. I dunno what exactly is different, but they are so fun to use.

Haven’t really figured out how to use chariots yet, any tips?

My usual Slaanesh army is a line of Hellscourge marauders with a spellcaster behind them, a few daemonettes with fiends to flank, and a cultist on a mount with some snootlers to disrupt the line and run down routing units/ just murder whatever is showing it’s rear end.

I really wanna enjoy the chariots but they just don’t seem great to me, so any advice is appreciated.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

orangelex44 posted:

Memes aside, they’re probably second best. The war sleds are the strongest.

War sleds do have the campaign bonus of being randomly murdered by autoresolve without warning - they don't seem to get the red warning light and also die in really easy fights, so in campaign bear cav are better :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Re: Goon tournaments: They are fun and if you're not sure, just sign up and give it a try. Really chill discord server and a fun group of people to hang out with. I cant play this one but hopefully covid will gently caress off, childcare will be reliable, and I keep my job so I can play next time.

Trujillo posted:

For anyone who missed it and wants to join, our first wh3 tournament starts in a couple days but have room for about 4-5 more players. If you're wanting to get into multiplayer, it's a better way to do it than the ranked matchmaking, especially right now with pendelum being broken and stuff like that people trying to climb the ladder are abusing.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Getting to mid-late game as Slaanesh in my duo MP campaign and really surprised people are sleeping on how god drat powerful this faction is. N'Kari is Skarbrand lite as far as army murdering effectiveness goes and I got Banner of Swiftness so with yellow line +speed and Foe-Seeker up he has 178 speed. In a settlement battle this is bananas. He can go anywhere, win 95% of 1v1s, drop nukes and debuffs anywhere on the line and assassinate targets better than Sniktch. The sheer amount of debuffs N'kari can put out is absurd, his presence while fighting a squad is a tactical bane(MD debuff, passive rampaging) and his active casting Hex is better than a lot of late game spell debuffs. The cheap spammable spells carry so much weight too, I haven't even looked at the rest of the Slaanesh lore spells.

The Slaanesh economy is great. Your cash buildings double their income if your control is under 50. You get a ritual for +20% province income and -50 control. See where I'm going with this? Playing on VH and straddling the line of neutral control and press button, make money. I hit 5k+ econ and leveled a second full army in time for it to go back down to 3-4k. I also took a Slaanesh growth boost so my main province is T5 ahead of schedule but hey, domination victory tactics. And I did this with 1.5 provinces by stacking money buildings(money maker, +percentage boosting money maker.) The sheer reliability of the Slaaneshi marauder frontline goes a long way too and it's easy to get -15% on their upkeep as well as tech another -10%. Plenty of good, cheap, surprisingly resilient high MD boys to die while girls just wanna have flanks. Daemonettes are actually good, astounding flankers. Exalted Daemonette on flank is flank/rear charge morale debuff, enthralling debuff(-9 attack), magic + AP hits with 40-50 MA and the Slaanesh bonus to flanking in general. Unit ruined in moments. Only problem is default Daemonettes are 200 upkeep and that's harsh at the start when cavalry do their job and move twice as fast for less upkeep.

Slaaneshi Cultist Hero has the same absurd power spike as Nurgle Cultist from level 13 up. 3 + 1 summons, 90 speed on horse, high MD and good attack. Seduce Units is absurdly cruel for tipping close scales. The +move and army speed/charge buffs ritual is perfect for leaving your territory. Disciple Armies when N'kari's stack is built are insane for strategic muscle. 100% controllable waagh army, just pop it out in the border of your land(or raise a ruckus in theirs with N'kari and a hero or two that boost corruption) and have it lead the attack and dilute enemy power with your free glass cannon 20 stack with no upkeep and no downside to being fully wiped out.

Ironically the diplomacy is the weakest part. Even fully enraptured factions are reluctant to vassalize(and I hear that's a trap) and confederations are hard to get even from sub factions of Slaanesh with 200+ positive favor. At least it's really easy to milk the Norscans for "balance offer" money while they play goalie from the ordertide for you. I've never spent 750 devotees to get buildings in random human settlements and I doubt I ever will unless this mechanic gets adjusted, though the disciple army spawner might be funny if you had a truly ridiculous and decadent amount of devotees you didn't plan to use(1k+.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Doomykins posted:

Getting to mid-late game as Slaanesh in my duo MP campaign and really surprised people are sleeping on how god drat powerful this faction is. N'Kari is Skarbrand lite as far as army murdering effectiveness goes and I got Banner of Swiftness so with yellow line +speed and Foe-Seeker up he has 178 speed. In a settlement battle this is bananas. He can go anywhere, win 95% of 1v1s, drop nukes and debuffs anywhere on the line and assassinate targets better than Sniktch. The sheer amount of debuffs N'kari can put out is absurd, his presence while fighting a squad is a tactical bane(MD debuff, passive rampaging) and his active casting Hex is better than a lot of late game spell debuffs. The cheap spammable spells carry so much weight too, I haven't even looked at the rest of the Slaanesh lore spells.

The Slaanesh economy is great. Your cash buildings double their income if your control is under 50. You get a ritual for +20% province income and -50 control. See where I'm going with this? Playing on VH and straddling the line of neutral control and press button, make money. I hit 5k+ econ and leveled a second full army in time for it to go back down to 3-4k. I also took a Slaanesh growth boost so my main province is T5 ahead of schedule but hey, domination victory tactics. And I did this with 1.5 provinces by stacking money buildings(money maker, +percentage boosting money maker.) The sheer reliability of the Slaaneshi marauder frontline goes a long way too and it's easy to get -15% on their upkeep as well as tech another -10%. Plenty of good, cheap, surprisingly resilient high MD boys to die while girls just wanna have flanks. Daemonettes are actually good, astounding flankers. Exalted Daemonette on flank is flank/rear charge morale debuff, enthralling debuff(-9 attack), magic + AP hits with 40-50 MA and the Slaanesh bonus to flanking in general. Unit ruined in moments. Only problem is default Daemonettes are 200 upkeep and that's harsh at the start when cavalry do their job and move twice as fast for less upkeep.

Slaaneshi Cultist Hero has the same absurd power spike as Nurgle Cultist from level 13 up. 3 + 1 summons, 90 speed on horse, high MD and good attack. Seduce Units is absurdly cruel for tipping close scales. The +move and army speed/charge buffs ritual is perfect for leaving your territory. Disciple Armies when N'kari's stack is built are insane for strategic muscle. 100% controllable waagh army, just pop it out in the border of your land(or raise a ruckus in theirs with N'kari and a hero or two that boost corruption) and have it lead the attack and dilute enemy power with your free glass cannon 20 stack with no upkeep and no downside to being fully wiped out.

Ironically the diplomacy is the weakest part. Even fully enraptured factions are reluctant to vassalize(and I hear that's a trap) and confederations are hard to get even from sub factions of Slaanesh with 200+ positive favor. At least it's really easy to milk the Norscans for "balance offer" money while they play goalie from the ordertide for you. I've never spent 750 devotees to get buildings in random human settlements and I doubt I ever will unless this mechanic gets adjusted, though the disciple army spawner might be funny if you had a truly ridiculous and decadent amount of devotees you didn't plan to use(1k+.)

daddy likes