Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I though Facebook/Twitter had them taken down, which is why you are getting all the "hashtag COVID denial down 90%" clickbait

Russia's various diplomatic twitters from other countries are posting statements, there's a couple of Moscow based journalists posting things too. It's not hard to find.

I just don't share it here. And I'm pretty much the only one doing any twitter mining so what you get is what you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
You'd think goons of all people would understand the motivating powers of spite and pridefulness.

I hope Putin dies in a fire.
A really painful one.
Not sure how that works, but I have hope for a better tomorrow in which it does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

Russia's various diplomatic twitters from other countries are posting statements, there's a couple of Moscow based journalists posting things too. It's not hard to find.

I just don't share it here.

Huh. Thanks for the correction.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Yes, my friend is also asking what this means.

Further simplifying my tech-heavy explanation from earlier:

Unless the contents of the tweets are the tip of the iceberg, at the absolute worse-case scenario, it's equivalent to hackers getting all the source code of a game, but none of the assets. It reveals a heck of a lot about how the bank operates, which may or may not lead to further hacks. But the real valuable stuff, the data, is most likely not affected by this whatsoever.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 1, 2022

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

sean10mm posted:

I know one of CSPAM's gimmicks is Holodomor denial for the lulz, but the last time Ukraine was owned by Russia the Soviet Union millions of Ukrainians were starved to death on purpose. No loving poo poo a bunch of Ukrainians are motivated to fight to the death.

I agree completely. Also Holodomor denial wasn't a C-SPAM original, it was a Homework Explainer/Genocide Explainer addition to the canon.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I though Facebook/Twitter had them taken down, which is why you are getting all the "hashtag COVID denial down 90%" clickbait

Wait what? I roll with an adblocker and pretty much ignore COVID news in favor of my trusty P100 and self-imposed isolation because America is a failed state.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

enigma74 posted:

A budget increase is maybe sadly justified. Unless we want to wait until China's J-20's are strafing Taipei before we take any preventative deterrent action.

i mean we are going to have a military budget increase at this point. i just hope we spend it on real poo poo instead of "lol another superdongle that doesn't do dick"

sean10mm posted:

I know one of CSPAM's gimmicks is Holodomor denial for the lulz, but the last time Ukraine was owned by Russia the Soviet Union millions of Ukrainians were starved to death on purpose. No loving poo poo a bunch of Ukrainians are motivated to fight to the death.

i mean they have been hosed over by russian since ivan the terrible and they have basically been the big empires stomping ground before the ME became more popular to gently caress around in.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Seems eminently plausible that a decent chunk of the Russian army does not want to fight this war. I hope Ukraine is able to capitalize on this somehow, maybe letting Russian troops who surrender or defect know that nothing will happen to them.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/0...n-official-says

i am actually not surprised by that. i think ALOT of the russian military are conscripts of various stripes and alot of them are loving scared and hungary and don't know whats going on because putin didnt learn dick from any of the previous wars.

enigma74 posted:

Yes, the manner of death matters a lot, it completely changes the global calculus. Civilians getting killed as a side of effect of war is viewed as very sad, terrible. But civilians being executed because they may or may not have planted a bomb that killed 10 Russian "peacekeepers" in occupied Kyiv would be outright intolerable to the West, especially since they are fellow Christian white people.

I'm not certain that Putin is bluffing about nukes, I think he is somewhat serious. So, the escalation here can lead to nuclear war:

1) Kyiv occupied
2) Partisan warfare, gets very bloody
3) Suspected Ukrainian partisans are executed
4) The West is outraged, one NATO country decides to intervene against the wishes of other NATO countries, but nobody can really stop them
5) Putin interprets the intervention of one country as a NATO intervention, Ukraine becomes even more of a warzone
6) Other NATO countries feels strong public pressure to "help out"
7) NATO intervenes as a whole
8) Hopefully Putin is dead by now and there can be some kind of peace and removal of sanctions in exchange for a full Russian withdrawal from Ukraine, I'm sure whoever takes Putin's place will want to consolidate internally and so they will happily make concessions.

maybe but my guess is a bunch of cities basicaly turn into stalingrad for the russian forces while more forces are being built up in western ukraine(which hasnt been as hit hard then) which will be armed with preem NATO/EU/AMERICAN poo poo. also their will be some sort of insurgency.

i think if putin goes hard it will be fuel air bombs/chemical weapons route.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Warmachine posted:

Wait what? I roll with an adblocker and pretty much ignore COVID news in favor of my trusty P100 and self-imposed isolation because America is a failed state.

Russian troll farms were running covid misinformation campaigns because why not.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Huh strange, I just thought to check and Western Union is still doing money transfers into/out of Russia. I'm not sure if that's the realm of business transaction or not but seems odd.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Uh that one's not a bank

https://twitter.com/AnonUkraine_/status/1498773498713497600

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The_Franz posted:

Not going to link it, but several people, what looks to be a family, were instantly incinerated by one of the rockets they fired at the TV tower.

I'm sure their friends and family and neighbors will welcome the Russian liberators with open arms.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Holy poo poo don't even attempt to do this or joke about it :dogstare:

In regards to Anonymous claiming to hack a Reactor control of a nuclear plant in Russia

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 1, 2022

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

:yikes:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Oh yeah, SCADA is the real poo poo. Though "hacked" is a bit much, people just love connecting large industrial facilities directly to the Internet for some reason.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Morrow posted:

A surrender would be just as bloody as a fight.

Georgia, Crimea, Belarus... etc. I'm not defending putin - he's a warmongering maniac. But he has been in power long enough that there's a number of examples where short or no conflict was not very bloody - and he has not committed genocide on a scale like Germany, the US (native americans), or earlier rulers in the Soviet Union. It doesn't rule it out, but I find it unlikely. Especially as he was very open about invading - Western experts were the ones calling it a bluff. Again - none of that justifies the actions of putin who is a warmongering gently caress that deserves to rot in hell.

Ynglaur posted:

Saying "give peace a chance" when you've already been loving invaded 8 years ago and then invaded even harder reminds me of this:

Pacificism I understand and respect, even if I disagree with it. It's at least a rationale and consistent moral framework. You don't need to respond to every aggression with over-reactive violence, but constant appeasement ultimately leads to greater evil in the world, not less of it.

If this thread is getting too philosophical and not enough news-y I'll stop.

Thank you for this. I'm not saying be quiet, ignore it. As mentioned when that was occurring - I wasn't quiet, but I also didn't resort to violence. This also occurred in the United States - so as people are discussing not wanting to live under an oppressive regime by any means necessary...

I don't want the US or world to be quiet. I do want the US to commit to actual sanctions - that include oil. Sanctions do take time to have an impact. Some EU countries (germany) need time to find new energy sources before they can act.

Actively rooting for a prolonged engagement where Ukraine "wins" at the cost of many lives - to me - is not a victory and everything possible, including surrender, should instead be considered.

Either way - excellent discussion, thank you to so many people who gave engaging, good faith replies.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Relevant Tangent posted:

I agree completely. Also Holodomor denial wasn't a C-SPAM original, it was a Homework Explainer/Genocide Explainer addition to the canon.

they've kinda gone beyond pure denial and seem to have taken on Stalin's racism for Ukraine themselves.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Aramis posted:

Further simplifying my tech-heavy explanation from earlier:

Unless the contents of the tweets are the tip of the iceberg, at the absolute worse-case scenario, it's equivalent to hackers getting all the source code of a game, but none of the assets. It reveals a heck of a lot about how the bank operates, which may or may not lead to further hacks. But the real valuable stuff, the data, is most likely not affected by this whatsoever.

The private TLS keys allow the hackers to do man in the middle attacks until they’re revoked.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:stonk:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

the popes toes posted:

They need new languages, strong, irrisistable Motherland code. Dependence on western code must end.

APL/COBOL hybrid with Russian keywords.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

:stonk:

I don't understand whats the implication of this but id rather not have nuclear reactors messed with

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

Oh yeah, SCADA is the real poo poo. Though "hacked" is a bit much, people just love connecting large industrial facilities directly to the Internet for some reason.

admin
password

is just fine for an alarming amount of SCADA

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Can anything actually be done from that site, or is it just a status report? When that VNC Roulette site was live, there was a lot of things like this exposed to the public internet, but they were ultimately just read-only pages for remote monitoring.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 1, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

A nuclear reactor control scada on the loving open internet, how am i not surprised.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Chernobyl Russia without pesky missiles.

Solid work

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

punishedkissinger posted:

they've kinda gone beyond pure denial and seem to have taken on Stalin's racism for Ukraine themselves.

Yeah this does seem to be the game plan for Putin

Take all the Stalinist hatred for Ukraine but claim they brought it on themselves by being Nazis.

Did a Ukranian bully Putin in School? Steal his first love? This wierd racist poo poo with him is kinda pathological.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

HMMMMMMMMM….well then…speaking of troll escalation

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

Russian troll farms were running covid misinformation campaigns because why not.

Well, yeah. That was an open secret.

Having proof in the shadow of "Hey so we blocked Russian social media access and in the shadow of that 'Open Biden' is polling a lot lower" is another story entirely.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Please hack and gently caress up any sort of infrastructure other than nuclear reactors. Hit up refineries and poo poo please.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

More on the EU offering amnesty to Russian deserters

https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/1498687499857764356?t=PSEAXfP8ACOX4DvrJMSlHw&s=19

I'm gonna do some loving yoga now

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

IF the picture on the lower right is anything to judge by, it looks like a small research/test reactor at a lab or university.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Russia largely running and funding the right in the West online has been the worst kept secret for years

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

....Are they going to make a reactor outside of Moscow meltdown?

brugroffil posted:

IF the picture on the lower right is anything to judge by, it looks like a small research/test reactor at a lab or university.
How so?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah this does seem to be the game plan for Putin

Take all the Stalinist hatred for Ukraine but claim they brought it on themselves by being Nazis.

Did a Ukranian bully Putin in School? Steal his first love? This wierd racist poo poo with him is kinda pathological.

There is probably some papers in the kremlin from Ivan the terrible or some long dead czar saying “to ye who rules Russia, be horrible to Ukraine for no reason”

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Grouchio posted:

....Are they going to make a reactor outside of Moscow meltdown?

That just looks like the status monitor.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
With respect to the question about whether Ukrainians "should" fight this war, I think it's a little odious to assume that any of us are in any position to make that judgement for them. I don't see any indication that their arm is being twisted by the West on this issue, nor that it's being twisted by anyone except Russia. They have two choices - fight or submit - and only the Ukrainians themselves are in any position to decide what is in "their best interests".

I've been thinking recently of what Sartre wrote in Existentialism is a Humanism, specifically the dilemma posed to him a student during the second world war. His student asked him for advice about whether he should take up a weapon and go off and fight the Nazis, or stay home in France to take care of his ailing mother, who had no-one else in her life besides him. As Sartre argued, there was no right answer to this question. The student could abandon his mother to die alone in grief, sacrificing his life in deference to some quixotic principles, or he could abandon his fellow men and women (who also had mothers) to die on his behalf: either way, he would likely be stricken with guilt. Sartre's broader point is that there are no "rules" one can appeal to in answering this question: Christian morality won't solve this dilemma for you, Kantian moral philosophy won't solve this dilemma for you, and so on. In deciding what is right and wrong we are left largely to own devices. Sartre's advice to his student was blunt: "you must choose".

In Ukraine, 40 million people are currently weighing up the same existential dilemma - existential in every possible sense of the word. They can fight, potentially leaving their children orphaned and their parents to wither with grief; they can submit, subjugating themselves to the whims of a tyrant; or they can flee, abandoning all that they have spent their entire lives constructing on that soil. That's it: those are the options. Each Ukrainian must decide for himself and herself where their commitment lies, and each Ukrainian is better placed than anyone else to make that determination. I know what choice I would make if I were standing in their shoes, but I don't stand in their shoes: the responsibility is theirs alone. In the existential sense, that is exactly what it means to be free. Every choice is difficult, every choice must come with a cost, every choice can be regretted, but no-one else can make that choice in their place. They have been abandoned in a godless world, and no external power will swoop in to make that choice for them. Such freedom is terrifying, such freedom is horrific, but it cannot be avoided. Every Ukrainian is currently, as Sartre put it, condemned to be free.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

Man that got me a lot of probes

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Georgia, Crimea, Belarus... etc. I'm not defending putin - he's a warmongering maniac. But he has been in power long enough that there's a number of examples where short or no conflict was not very bloody - and he has not committed genocide on a scale like Germany, the US (native americans), or earlier rulers in the Soviet Union. It doesn't rule it out, but I find it unlikely. Especially as he was very open about invading - Western experts were the ones calling it a bluff. Again - none of that justifies the actions of putin who is a warmongering gently caress that deserves to rot in hell.

He was already talking about garbage like the Ukranian Solution before Ukraine showed the world how easy it is to make his armies bleed. He has been humiliated internationally and will absolutely make an example of them in the worst way if he gets the chance.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
isn't Dubna just nuclear research faciity and not 'a nuclear plant'? I remember it being mentioned in relation to superheavy elements research and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

TulliusCicero posted:

Russia largely running and funding the right in the West online has been the worst kept secret for years

I've been wondering whether the strong European response is driven by this to some extent. Between the Covid-19 fatigue in populations, antivaxxer and antimasker protests, rising cost of living and constant supply chain interruptions, Russian election interference could see a lot of success all over the place. Some governments could be motivated by interest in self-preservation.