Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What do people think of Makers Mark 46 vs the regular version? 46 isn't the best thing I ever had but I liked it a lot better than the generic version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, agreed. I like 46 better than the original and I think it’s got some nice oaky notes and a long palate as a straight pour, it just doesn’t stand up even to an old fashioned.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

sean10mm posted:

What do people think of Makers Mark 46 vs the regular version? 46 isn't the best thing I ever had but I liked it a lot better than the generic version.

For the price I really like Maker's 46 and I've never enjoyed regular Makers. It's not one of those bottles where I'll ever put in any real work to find but it's become one of those good but not special bottles in the same tier was WT101.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I was gifted a bottle of Firestone and Robertson Texas bourbon. For only being aged 4 years it was smooth and tasty. Apparently, the Texas climate speeds things along because it tasted more like 6-7 year bourbon. No doubt being wheated didn't hurt either. It's made with Texas corn, wheat, and yeast. Good middling bourbon.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Got a couple of more mini-reviews of the Canadian whisky I got my hands on last year:

Stalk & Barrel 100% Rye Whisky - $36.10 - a nice surprise, at least for that price. Not really all that interesting, but it's more mellow for a 100% rye whisky than I was expecting. Best way I can describe it is if you made a Speyside whisky out of rye: light oakiness, crisp apple, with a hint of overall spiciness.

Glynnevan Double Barrelled Canadian Rye Whisky - $48.80 - Nah. Not for this price. I mean, it was drinkable, but it's a touch too sweet for my palate. I don't recall the specific notes, but I remember a decent amount of berry and maple and caramel. Which is nice, but I like it more subtle. What's weirder is that it's probably one of the few Canadian whiskies that didn't mix nicely into coke (not all mix with ginger ale, but they should at least with cola).

Decided to take a break from the home-grown stuff for now, so I'm going through a bottle of Bushmills Black Bush. Not bad for a $40 import. Nothing special about it, but it's a nice palate cleanser.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

sean10mm posted:

I don't like it quite as much as regular Maker's. Private Select, however, is one of my favorites of all-time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Is this a real thing?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Just searching, it looks like it definitely was a thing at some point https://www.drinkhacker.com/2012/06/15/review-scottish-spirits-single-grain-scotch-in-a-can/

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Holy God lol

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
What I especially love is that it’s not even resealable at all. Here’s 12oz of 40% booze you have to drink in one sitting!

That said, last time I was in Japan some of the canned highballs you can get in convenience stores were very decent for the like $2 they cost. And I did enjoy that they came in high and low abv versions (usually like 7% and 12% I think) so you can choose what kind of night you’re having!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah it looks like a bad time lol

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Scythe posted:

That said, last time I was in Japan some of the canned highballs you can get in convenience stores were very decent for the like $2 they cost. And I did enjoy that they came in high and low abv versions (usually like 7% and 12% I think) so you can choose what kind of night you’re having!

There are scotch highballs here now too. This one is actually pretty good; Tomatin is the key malt. 8% abv so it probably couldn't be labeled "Scotch Whisky" in the UK.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Scythe posted:

What I especially love is that it’s not even resealable at all. Here’s 12oz of 40% booze you have to drink in one sitting!

Sounds great to me actually.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

There are scotch highballs here now too. This one is actually pretty good; Tomatin is the key malt. 8% abv so it probably couldn't be labeled "Scotch Whisky" in the UK.

Couldn't even at the minimum 40% since it's "bottled" with more than just water. (CO2)

And a highball at 40%, at that point you're just drinking fizzy whisky.

Makes sense that it's Tomatin btw, they're owned by a Japanese company.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I mean there's no shortage of distilleries, scotch or otherwise, owned by japanese companies if you count beam suntory

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah, Jim Beam highballs at izakaya here are usually like 20-30 yen cheaper than kakubin highballs. It's cheaper for Suntory to make whiskey in America and send it to Japan than it is for them to bring import crude booze from Brazil and mix it with actual Japanese whisky.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Stumbled onto a bottle of the Smooth Ambler Founders' Cask Strength Rye. First big release of their own stuff, not blended with any sourced whiskey. Pretty excited!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I picked up an Eagle Rare 10 and an Old Forester Single Barrel store pick last night. My wife is on a Scotch kick at the moment, so I may not get to them for a bit.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I was given a pour of Lot B tonight. There's no goddamn way I'd pay secondary prices for this, but this was a really, really delicious pour and I wish more ppl could taste this at retail cost.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I’ve tried all the main van winkle releases and Lot B is probably my favorite relative to age and what it should be priced. I’d never pay secondary prices for it but in a world where I could walk into a store and have my pick of van winkles for msrp, Lot B is the one that would be my regular.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Lawen posted:

I’ve tried all the main van winkle releases and Lot B is probably my favorite relative to age and what it should be priced. I’d never pay secondary prices for it but in a world where I could walk into a store and have my pick of van winkles for msrp, Lot B is the one that would be my regular.

This is a correct and good opinion.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

How is Lot 40 as far as Canadian Ryes go?

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.

Professor Shark posted:

Perfectly drinkable neat but nothing special, from what I remember.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Managed to snag a bottle of Blue Spot for €65 straight from Ireland with free shipping (to Netherlands). Seems a bit suspicious but so far I'm not complaining!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just found a bottle of Blue Spot in Lansing. Single bottle delivered. They had a single bottle of Red too but that was gone when I showed up.

Irish goons, mail me liquors.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I finished the bottle of Bushmills I opened a while back and opened The Balvenie 16 Triple Cask I bought a few years ago while travelling. Light, oaky, with a hint of berries from the partial-aging in sherry cask.

It's pretty good, but as a duty-free exclusive, I think there's a certain amount of diminishing returns for the price. If I was travelling, I'd rather find the Golden Cask 14 I had a few years before that, or at least save my money and get Doublewood at the LCBO.

Professor Shark posted:

coiol posted:

Perfectly drinkable neat but nothing special, from what I remember.

Pretty much. I think I wrote a number of pages back that it's almost as good as Canadian Club 100% Rye but not cheaper.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

zmcnulty posted:

No picture but my Dad brought home some new canned Crown Royal & Cola 4-pack from the gas station at the end of our road. $11 at the MS/TN state line. It tasted exactly like a Crown Royal with cola, which I guess is ok. Nothing special, but not like JD Honey or anything that bad. 7% alchohol so you can't even get drunk off of it. Better to put $13 to a case of Natural Light Ice...

It was nice enough to drink on the deck while smoking my pipe, so I'm not making GBS threads on it...just seems like the small bottle of Elijah Craig BiB with a bit of coke and ice cubes would be more effective and taste better all around. Still have one in the fridge, but I'll take a snap on my iPad if anybody just has to see what I'm talking about.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Neighbor came to visit inside my house first time. She went bananas over the Blanton’s airline bottles I had, so I gave her one. Think it’s all over her Instagram now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm in the Nashville airport. Any of these particularly worth getting?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Data Graham posted:

I'm in the Nashville airport. Any of these particularly worth getting?

No

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nothing super noteworthy.

That being said, a couple of the liquor stores here mentioned that Belle Meade might become allocated. I haven't had much of their bourbon, but I don't remember it being good enough to be in that high demand.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

None of that seems rare or cheaply priced.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it’s literally a tourist trap shop exploiting a captive audience so no surprise. Just making sure I’m not missing some hidden gem.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Casu Marzu posted:

That being said, a couple of the liquor stores here mentioned that Belle Meade might become allocated. I haven't had much of their bourbon, but I don't remember it being good enough to be in that high demand.

It's just another MGP IB and they're running low on aged stocks like every other MGP IB

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

It's just another MGP IB and they're running low on aged stocks like every other MGP IB

totally forgot it was yet another MGP

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Headed to London next month and will have to check a bag. Anything in particular I should look out for/pick up? Wife and I are both in to bourbon while I'm in to scotch. I've liked sherry-style scotches like Aberlour 12. Is international Blanton's still a thing? Any scotches worth picking up in London? Figure $50-$100/bottle or so.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

English whisky is actually making waves now, Cotswolds and Bimber

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Those sound like joke names.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That's how I feel with pretty much every English name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU