Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've enjoyed Founders of Gloomhaven every time I've played it, which is 3 or 4 now, but drat it has a lot of fiddly, easy-to-forget rules.

I can't remember which one we punted last time we played it, but read the placement rules like 4x before you start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

CommonShore posted:

I've enjoyed Founders of Gloomhaven every time I've played it, which is 3 or 4 now, but drat it has a lot of fiddly, easy-to-forget rules.

I can't remember which one we punted last time we played it, but read the placement rules like 4x before you start.

I can't get it to the table sadly. I really like it but no one else seems to.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Is 18AL worth grabbing for $120 CAD if I can get it? I already have MEX so unsure about this.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

Is 18AL worth grabbing for $120 CAD if I can get it? I already have MEX so unsure about this.

No, don't bother.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mayveena posted:

I can't get it to the table sadly. I really like it but no one else seems to.

It's in a slot for me where I'll be happy to play it if someone else requests or suggests it but it will never ever be my choice. Since 2020 my board game time has really become a scarce resource, too, and in that environment it doesn't stand a chance against tier-1 favourites, and it's too fiddly for many groups (not that I have many groups).

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

FulsomFrank posted:

Its not very good. Its not terrible, its just fine.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Infinitum posted:

:toot: First game day of 2022 happening this weekend.

Time to be a traitorous son of a bitch in Nemesis :gritin:

Good luck! I've played Nemesis a couple of times now, and it's been great each time! (Just ignore the fact that I won both games :D )

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Played Unfathomable 4 times, and I haven't been a Hybrid even once :(

I just want to murder people :(

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

djfooboo posted:

Seventh Cross was shelved indefinitely. I wonder if it was shelved for this? :tinfoil:

Nah, Seventh Cross was shelved years ago and this is pretty new.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

taser rates posted:

No, don't bother.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Its not very good. Its not terrible, its just fine.

Thanks for the heads up. I will certainly pass. I just saw that it looks impossible to find and was curious whether it was worth it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Nah, Seventh Cross was shelved years ago and this is pretty new.

Oh, I thought they were just taking their time with it. I wonder how that game was even going to play. Was there ever any gameplay info?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gapclosergames/illiterati

Oh this looks good

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Put a bunch of stuff on the new Geekmarket with *free shipping*. Most of these include expansions:

Galaxy Trucker includes Big Expansion, Another Big Expansion, Latest Models, and Missions.

If you're not on that market and want any of these for a similar price (flat rate shipping will be ~9-15 so still a good deal in most cases) just post here or PM me. I'll probably throw in a small box game too if you buy here.

https://market.boardgamegeek.com/u/defeldus

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Looks like the new geekmarket is currently invite only?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, they're letting in a bunch of people on the list now though and if you got the email about the beta updates to the market you can just reply and ask them to add you. It says free shipping will have a 2 week cutoff notification so it'll be going for a while still.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This is up for preorder on Hasbro Pulse
https://hasbropulse.com/products/avalon-hill-betrayal-at-house-on-the-hill-1

But it's a gently caress you if you don't live in the US or the UK, because they don't do international shipping.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Speaking of preorders Terra Mystica Big Box is up Mar 8th for $150usd

https://capstone-games.com/board-games/terra-mystica-big-box/

quote:

The Big Box contains the following:
Terra Mystica: Base Game
Terra Mystica: Fire & Ice expansion
Terra Mystica: Merchants of the Seas expansion
Solo mode by Automa Factory

The components include, among others:
2 double-sided game boards (with one map each from the base game and the expansion Fire & Ice and the 2 maps from the Merchants of the Seas expansion)
10 double-sided playable faction boards and 9 different colored wooden sets.

With a box that is only 2.25″ deeper than the base game, Terra Mystica: Big Box is the ultimate package for newcomers and fans of Terra Mystica! Included with the Big Box is a complete storage solution instruction guide to help you organize all the components on the inside.

quote:

The games are waiting to dock in the port of Los Angeles. We anticipate receiving the games in our Cincinnati warehouse in the beginning of April. Preorders will then be shipped immediately upon receipt. The retail release is slated later on May 3.

Terra Mystica is def a game I want in my collection, and yes yes I know Gaia Project exists, so I'm definitely considering preordering if the shipping to :australia: is reasonable.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Box is way too big

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh, I thought they were just taking their time with it. I wonder how that game was even going to play. Was there ever any gameplay info?

There was a TTS mod for playtesting and a rulebook which didn't quite have everything it needed in it, but I'm not sure those exist any more. I enjoyed it! Although I'm a board gaming casual so I couldn't tell you exactly where it was strong or weak. Brad contracted me to write the adventures for it -- they were going to be a CYOA type of deal leading to an assortment of boss fights -- but I only did the first three before the whole project fell apart round about the end of 2019. Got paid for what I did, though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Box is way too big

Need a Big Box that takes up a 2x1 slot in a Kallax

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bottom Liner posted:

Put a bunch of stuff on the new Geekmarket with *free shipping*. Most of these include expansions:

Galaxy Trucker includes Big Expansion, Another Big Expansion, Latest Models, and Missions.

If you're not on that market and want any of these for a similar price (flat rate shipping will be ~9-15 so still a good deal in most cases) just post here or PM me. I'll probably throw in a small box game too if you buy here.

Whats this about Dominant Species for $35 in the screenshot?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Speaking of preorders Terra Mystica Big Box is up Mar 8th for $150usd

https://capstone-games.com/board-games/terra-mystica-big-box/

Terra Mystica is def a game I want in my collection, and yes yes I know Gaia Project exists, so I'm definitely considering preordering if the shipping to :australia: is reasonable.

what if i just want the box

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Whats this about Dominant Species for $35 in the screenshot?

Yours if you want it! Flat rate box for that is $16 though unless your on the new BGG market and can get the free shipping promo.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sloober posted:

what if i just want the box

It sounds like it may not fit since they're including a combined double-side gameboard for the base game and Fire & Ice. It would be nice if they had an option for just the box + double-sided board, though.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i think it'd fit fine since the box is just taller, which is all it needed to be - right now i have all of it fitting into the base box with a bit of a lift on the lid

Sloober fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 3, 2022

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

How's import/export? I'm not on the geek market yet but I'd also be interested in Fire In The Lake if it's still available.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Carillon posted:

How's import/export?

Already gone to another goon! FitL has an dibs as well, but I'll post again if that falls out.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I really love Gaia Project, but have never actually played TM. Worth it or not really?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I haven't had any desire to go back. The cult track is the tech track but only for points or an extra resource here and there. The map is static, and the races are much more unbalanced. I do think it looks better though. https://terra.snellman.net is a great site to try it.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

A friend of mine is a Stonemaier Champion, which means 20% off in their store. I've played Wingspan (eh) and Viticulture (cool and fun). Is there anything that is a must have?

Edit: oh yeah, and Scythe.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 4, 2022

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

A friend of mine is a Stonemaier Champion, which means 20% off in their store. I've played Wingspan (eh) and Viticulture (cool and fun). Is there anything that is a must have?

Edit: oh yeah, and Scythe.

No must haves by any stretch. Viticulture + Tuscany is a perfectly fine MWE. Haven't played it but Space-Biff gave a glowing review to the "new" version of Libertalia if that's something you might be into?

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

FulsomFrank posted:

No must haves by any stretch. Viticulture + Tuscany is a perfectly fine MWE. Haven't played it but Space-Biff gave a glowing review to the "new" version of Libertalia if that's something you might be into?

I love 1ed Libertalia on BGA and it sounds like the new one fixes the one janky bit (tiebreakers) in a way that is so elegant and obvious that it is surprising it wasn't in the original. Plus, readable icons.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Unless you think anthropomorphic creatures edge towards furrydom I would recommend libertalia preorder for sure. Paolo Moro has some hits and I consider this his #1.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mr. Squishy posted:

Box is way too big

Give me the biggest Terra Mystics box you have

No , that's too big

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Let the games begin..

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Has any game made personal goals not suck? New Angeles probably the closest?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Stationfall?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

Diplomacy maybe?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Infinitum posted:

Let the games begin..

Good luck! I hope Player 3 pulled the queen in round 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Bottom Liner posted:

New Angeles I had a lot of fun with the one time I played it and I think it’s solution to this has been the best (haven’t played stationfall). I suspect it’s just too long and conceptually kind of mind bendy for most groups, and I haven’t been able to play it enough to see how it holds up over multiple plays - I suspect some kind of a limited meta would probably develop and that would be interesting to see. I am determined to get it out again but maybe play it with a timer as I think In theory it could be played a lot faster and leaner than what we manage - we had a lot of discussions that really pushed the game length out.