Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Scott saying Final Fantasy III instead of Final Fantasy VI.
I'm sorry, you're going to have to turn in your nerd badge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's surprising how "All of Us Are Dead" just doesn't leave the top 10

mystes posted:

I'm sorry, you're going to have to turn in your nerd badge

Nobody's called it Final Fantasy III since the '90s.

I'm also a complete idiot for bringing it up and deserved to be mocked for complaining about something so stupid.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm afraid that all the "streamers" we're real and that boring

mystes
May 31, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nobody's called it Final Fantasy III since the '90s.

I'm also a complete idiot for bringing it up and deserved to be mocked for complaining about something so stupid.
He said Final Fantasy II

(also the bass line is similar and it might be intended as a mixture of ff2 (ff4) and ff3 (ff6) so it doesn't sound too close for copyright reasons)

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 26, 2022

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I loved it. This and Extracurricular were bangers.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mystes posted:

I don't think the term "1-up" was used (at least in English) prior to Super Mario Bros though so other terms (including extra life, etc.) must have been used between the release of the atari and the release of the NES.

Extra life for sure

I'm gonna finish love is blind US s2 and love is blind Japan today, both are amazing tv. The US version for the more trainwreck style entertainment and the Japan version for surprisingly emotional pull. I watched the first couple episodes of love is blind Brazil and it was very promising in its own way too; their cast definitely seems more like fuckboy party people but some of the relationships still feel really genuine.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Saw Hellbender on Shudder, really enjoyed it for the most part but felt it had a weak finish.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I don't think that's right. Free Guy strikes me as a movie for the 45+ crowd that only knows about modern gaming and streaming culture from exploitative news reports on how dumb and dangerous the things their kids like are. At the very least it was written by that kind of person.

How would something appeal to the 45+ crowd just because it's not accurate? What even is the logic there? They hired actual streamers and tried to tap into the whole social gaming thing. There's nothing there for a 45 year old other than a generic action romcom.

Also hollywood movies aren't accurate most of of the time, because they are more concerned with appeal than getting details right. Watch just about any hollywood movie with someone who knows a lot about the subject and it'll be the same deal. it's not limited to video games.

Maybe saying it was trying to appeal to zoomers isn't even true. it was trying to appeal to everyone and that's why it's just kind of nonsense. FG not reflecting real games isn't even the bad part. The bad part is that it's just generic as hell. There's worse ways to spend 2 hours though

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I watched Free Guy because outside of this thread the consensus seems to be its pretty good but I think the nicest thing I can say about it is its better than Ready Player One

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I found both of them to be crap but palatable for single watch. Ready player one the book however is one of the worst pieces of media I've ever consumed. loving loathsome.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Saw Hellbender on Shudder, really enjoyed it for the most part but felt it had a weak finish.

I loved the film and thought the ending was actually among the best parts

She's upset at her mom isolating her for so long from everything and everyone she could have pursued, including how awesome being a vile witch is, but loves her too much to fulfill destiny and kill her (at least right now), so she leaves her alive and behind to explore (and probably end) the world with nobody who can now realistically stop her

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I finished Love is Blind Japan last night, and this was the best feel good show since Cheer. Just an incredible escape from all the garbage. The star couple is so positive and kind, I would watch a show that just follows their life around forever.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 27, 2022

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

i definitely heard "free guy" a lot in the 80s in New England, but have never heard it anywhere or anytime else

Yep in the 80’s I heard both “free guy” or “free life”. I assume it was a continuation of pinball terms like “free play” and I think “free ball”.

That said 1-UP came from pinball too (it originally meant first payer up).

mystes
May 31, 2006

nate fisher posted:

That said 1-UP came from pinball too (it originally meant first payer up).
I don't think this is true, or rather, while "1 UP" or similar phrases may have coincidentally been used to mean first player's turn in pinball, the reason it came to be used to mean an extra life in video games is completely unrelated. It was used by nintendo in Super Mario Brothers because "wan appu" literally means an increase of one in Japanese, so it's like using "+1" on an icon for an extra life (similarly to how "level up" meaning an increase in level was almost definitely borrowed back from Japanese into English although I'm sure saying this is going make people freak out).

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I just finished season 1 of Smiling Friends on HBO Max and, good lord, this stuff is incredible. Can’t wait for a season two.

I loved Rick & Morty Bushworld Adventures and YOLO: Crystal Fantasy, so it stands to reason I was gonna love this show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mystes posted:

I don't think this is true, or rather, while "1 UP" or similar phrases may have coincidentally been used to mean first player's turn in pinball, the reason it came to be used to mean an extra life in video games is completely unrelated. It was used by nintendo in Super Mario Brothers because "wan appu" literally means an increase of one in Japanese, so it's like using "+1" on an icon for an extra life (similarly to how "level up" meaning an increase in level was almost definitely borrowed back from Japanese into English although I'm sure saying this is going make people freak out).

Apropos of this, I highly recommend How Nintendo Conquered America. its not super insanely deep but it has a lot of neat little details about weird video game stuff

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Watched the first 3 episodes of Station Eleven yesterday and drat this show is good. The storytelling and performances are so well-done.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I wanted to like it more than I did. The hobo traveling wagon stuff was cool

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Saw the first two episodes of yellow jackets last night and what the fuuuuuuck.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Really enjoying somebody somewhere so far. Small town slice of life dramedy on hbo

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Kingtheninja posted:

Saw the first two episodes of yellow jackets last night and what the fuuuuuuck.

It's so good

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

Really enjoying somebody somewhere so far. Small town slice of life dramedy on hbo

The first episode that I watched had the show scream “indie” to me. It was like a show made with a amateur YouTube budget.

This is more of a compliment than a criticism.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'm absolutely out of shows, out of movies. Checked what's new to netflix, hbo, prime this month and its garbage. Guess I'll have to read a book or something lol

Anybody randomly come across a gem on HBO or something? I've probably seen it already but who knows

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm absolutely out of shows, out of movies. Checked what's new to netflix, hbo, prime this month and its garbage. Guess I'll have to read a book or something lol

Anybody randomly come across a gem on HBO or something? I've probably seen it already but who knows

Same. I'm back to watching things I've seen before. If I'm home, my TV is on, even if I'm not fully paying attention and doing something else.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Righteous Gemstones, Barry, Peacemaker and lots of adult swim shows

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
The French Dispatch just came out on HBO Max, if you like Wes Anderson.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

u seen continuum?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Sorry to Bother You just got added to Netflix.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Google Butt posted:

u seen continuum?

I haven't. Is it just called "Continuum"?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sorry to Bother You just got added to Netflix.

Thanks, might be due for a rewatch of this one.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I haven't. Is it just called "Continuum"?

Thanks, might be due for a rewatch of this one.

Yes, its a bit older but it's good and owns

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Beforeigners on HBO Max is good.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

frogbs posted:

The French Dispatch just came out on HBO Max, if you like Wes Anderson.

I generally enjoy Wes Anderson but the French Dispatch feels like a Wes Anderson parody film written by a hateful critic. It has positive moments. No where near enough of them to redeem the movie.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Google Butt posted:

Yes, its a bit older but it's good and owns

what platform? I don''t see it on Max

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I watched Kimi tonight. It was fine. Didn't blow me away or anything but I don't feel like I wasted 90 minutes.

That was actually the best part - it was 90 minutes. More of this, please!!!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speaking of 90 minute movies, Werewolves Within wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It was not great but was carried by the cast. The setup is actually pretty good too, but is largely squandered in the second half which is kind of a mess but still entertaining.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Watched "The girl across the street..." this last weekend and loved it. The tone was just slightly off enough that I found myself giggling at all the dumb things happening like the mailbox, the changing tombstone messages, the extended fight with the kid, the casseroles to name a few

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Amazon has a rom-com named “I Want You Back” with Charlie Day and it starts with two people getting dumped out of nowhere for being complacent in their relationship. Fun date night movie!

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

thatfuturekid posted:

Watched "The girl across the street..." this last weekend and loved it. The tone was just slightly off enough that I found myself giggling at all the dumb things happening like the mailbox, the changing tombstone messages, the extended fight with the kid, the casseroles to name a few

Another little thing I liked was the repeated "you too can be a _______" books

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, West Side Story is already on Disney+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

smackfu posted:

Wow, West Side Story is already on Disney+.

and hbo max

drive my car is also on hbo max now