Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

What do you mean? You can definitely attack his tail if thats what you want to do, it will kill him just the same.

In DS1 (never actually played the sequels) attacking the tails of monsters, if they had one, would usually yield a specific weapon drop. Kind of like in Monster Hunter

efb a couple times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

every ladder has visions of snake messages by it

it's my favorite running gag tbh, poo poo came out eighteen years ago

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Willfrey posted:

yup. downloading also. well, 13 mb patching 10 gigs of files?

yeah, that's it

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

Deviant posted:

it's not monster hunter if that's what you mean. you can't sever it or anything.

Have y'all motherfuckers never met a Bell Gargoyle before?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Mailer posted:

Well it took a couple of hours and I'm pretty sure I'm married to a doll now which is weird because I'm not into anime but hey, I got a shiny thing...

Correct. Otherwise L2 uses the art from your shield.

Harrow posted:

How do you like the sword? I'm headed down that questline myself and I'm curious how this version of it does.

The Dark Moon Greatsword is inferior to other options unfortunately (and it's kind of ugly). You have to imbue the sword to even use the wave slashes for a set duration.

Moonveil (dex/int katana) is a much better spellblade weapon and has better tracking wave slashes. The heavy attack wave causes a ton of stagger. It's also a faster weapon in general

I respecced from STR/INT to DEX/INT because of Moonveil (same 5 stat allocation as a Prisoner base from str to dex)

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1498868165404598276

"Fixed other bugs" cool patch notes :thumbsup:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, I'm on 1.02.2. No patch notes yet.

e: ^^ lol

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

god drat, i inadvertently realized that there's chests on the backs of those wagons all around limgrave and found myself that starter lordsword greatsword i think everyone uses from the word jump, and so i went and got that bloody slash skill everyone was talking up and was just having a blast with it, but the problem remained that i had blown all my level 3 smithing stones upgrading my regular old longsword to +9, so it's stuck at +6. so, i figure i'll jump into a later game mine i see on the map and give it a shine up?

well, after picking up nothing but 4th level smithing stones the whole way down, i kill the boss at the bottom and wouldn't you know it, it's the one with that magic katana people have been talking up! so now i need to decide between my bloody slash greatsword or this laser weaboo stick! how dare this game!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

uh so that death bird thing in the mountaintops just killed himself when he got to half health?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

heckyeahpathy posted:

Have y'all motherfuckers never met a Bell Gargoyle before?

there are very few bell gargoyles in elden ring

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

What do you mean? You can definitely attack his tail if thats what you want to do, it will kill him just the same.

Deviant posted:

it's not monster hunter if that's what you mean. you can't sever it or anything.

It's a trope in Souls games that dragon-type enemies can have their tails cut off for unique weapons. So when I'm playing a Souls-like game and I see an enemy with a prominent tail I'm gonna try and hack that sucker off, that's just the way I roll.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gyoru posted:

The Dark Moon Greatsword is inferior to other options unfortunately (and it's kind of ugly). You have to imbue the sword to even use the wave slashes for a set duration.

Moonveil (dex/int katana) is a much better spellblade weapon and has better tracking wave slashes. The heavy attack wave causes a ton of stagger. It's also a faster weapon in general

I respecced from STR/INT to DEX/INT because of Moonveil (same 5 stat allocation as a Prisoner base from str to dex)

I saw a video of the Sword of Night and Fire's weapon art online and instantly respecced to use it. Who needs to actually cast spells when you can shoot kamehamehas from your sword?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i did a respec, swapped to the moonveil, and it seems like my spell and sword damage is about the same?

is scaling really that significant? (i was at 50+ int before, chasing the Carian staff)

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

I'm a level 31 astrologer and would love if someone who can tank could join me to take down the ulcerated tree spirit he's such a bastard. And I could really use his summon he drops as a glass cannon. Pm me if anyone is able to help me kick his teeth in. I've been trying for about 2 hours and it's clear he's too big for this loving room and just clips through the walls making it hard as hell to dodge his attacks when they come out of walls. I'm all for hard but this is just poor design I'm more fighting a camera than a boss.

On Xbox so PC and Xbox only name general madness

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Currently patching 10GB of "other bug fixes" :cool:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Did I have some fun today.

Have you guys tried to fight the Starscourge?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

To cheer myself up I did some exploring. Found the sword of night and fire, a sword that inflicts both fire and magic damage, and has the coolest weapon arts I've seen to date. I know I know, weapons with split damage types are wet trash, but it looks so drat cool I'm not too worried about it. I need a somber smithing stone 5 to bring it up to level 5, and then I need to figure out if I want to level INT or FTH with it, since it appears to scale evenly with both.

Where is everyone getting armor sets? I'm still running around in the starter set, except I have a pretty handband that I found.

Oh! And I killed 3 dragons and got all 3 of the useless dragon spells, so that's nice.

Really need some new swag though. Hard to look good.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I saw a video of the Sword of Night and Fire's weapon art online and instantly respecced to use it. Who needs to actually cast spells when you can shoot kamehamehas from your sword?

Big :same:

The R1 attack seems to really punish *some* bosses when they come out of an attack phase. Can usually get about 500-900 damage if I'm close enough. The R2 is good for crowd control, and man those hands on the manor grounds sure are weak to fire!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Banging my head off the wall on Dragonkin. He's one of those bosses that should not be difficult on paper, except he's so big that the game forces a weird camera angle where nothing is visible except a big blob of him filling the screen when he gets close

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Madness posted:

I'm a level 31 astrologer and would love if someone who can tank could join me to take down the ulcerated tree spirit he's such a bastard. And I could really use his summon he drops as a glass cannon. Pm me if anyone is able to help me kick his teeth in. I've been trying for about 2 hours and it's clear he's too big for this loving room and just clips through the walls making it hard as hell to dodge his attacks when they come out of walls. I'm all for hard but this is just poor design I'm more fighting a camera than a boss.

I beat him without a person summon at about your level. If you can't find someone to help, get the skeleton spearmen ash summon if you don't have it already, they work really well since they keep getting back up after it kills them. Between that and the meteorite staff and rock sling I finally got him after...a lot of tries.

I tried summoning people before that and either them or I kept getting killed in like 10 seconds due to that thing's bullshit grab move.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You know, I know that "lovely enemy placement meant to gently caress you" is a FromSoft thing but god drat does it ever feel like they had to do it every place they possibly could in this game. It's getting really old rounding a corner and just knowing there's some stupid rear end in a top hat there.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

wtf gimme xbox update

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm about level 60, just starting to dive into the plateau, are there any really good strike damage strength weapons I may have missed so far? Preferably a "special" weapon because I have a million unused somber stones burning a hole in my pocket. I've got some levels in faith too if that's a consideration

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

A talking coyote posted:

This games not really clicking for me. I’ve been playing for a few hours and nothings really happening? I cleared out some caves and some ruins on the beach but I still don’t even know how to level up so I’ve lost thousands of souls at this point. I tried following the light path and it just took me to a gate with a shitload of archers and some giant rear end in a top hat who one shot me.

Im glad people seem to be enjoying it I guess, but this might be the first soulsborne that’s just not for me.

Are you playing with a blindfold on? The guy outside the tutorial cave tells you exactly what you need to do. Follow the golden wisps to a site of grace, receive maiden, now you can level up. There's even one right in front of the gate with the archers and giant.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bloodstains been working better today for me. Even found a cave with a ton of goon deaths in it lol.

I just beat this psychotic scorpion-bull-antlion stone chimera! killed me first time, I summoned a few times and helped others fight it. Didn't think I could do it alone, and nobody would summon for me so I put on a twig to at least get my souls back. I got em back, plus managed to kill him, felt cool!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm getting a lil tired of dragon or other outdoor bosses vanishing mid fight. I went to fight this one dragon and he had basically his own arena, but for some reason Halfway through his hp he just pools. Usually they come back but this guy decided not to.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

I beat him without a person summon at about your level. If you can't find someone to help, get the skeleton spearmen ash summon if you don't have it already, they work really well since they keep getting back up after it kills them. Between that and the meteorite staff and rock sling I finally got him after...a lot of tries.

I tried summoning people before that and either them or I kept getting killed in like 10 seconds due to that thing's bullshit grab move.

I'll go snag that in a bit, I'd love to just suffer with someone else for a bit so of anyone wants to come try and beat this fucker let me know lol. This is the only boss that has been truly annoying because of just poor programming and the clipping....

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Actually this is what it says on the patch straight from Steam:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Madness posted:

I'll go snag that in a bit, I'd love to just suffer with someone else for a bit so of anyone wants to come try and beat this fucker let me know lol. This is the only boss that has been truly annoying because of just poor programming and the clipping....

even on the round I beat him I still had like no loving idea what was actually going on

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
God a loving hate draconic tree sentinel. The is no leeway on the lightning strike and he either one hit kills me or kills torrent then saunters up to strike me down.

Beat him with rot dog but goddamn he was a prick.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

You know, I know that "lovely enemy placement meant to gently caress you" is a FromSoft thing but god drat does it ever feel like they had to do it every place they possibly could in this game. It's getting really old rounding a corner and just knowing there's some stupid rear end in a top hat there.

Ironically, putting an ambush around every corner means you now know where all the ambushes are, rendering you immune *taps temple* Got reeeeal good at checking my corners when walking through any doorway in Nioh 1 and 2 :ninja:

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

even on the round I beat him I still had like no loving idea what was actually going on

lmao this makes me feel better I'll go try to snag the summons you recommended. Thanks man!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

sigher posted:

I think Bloodbourne takes that cake. This game actually has a lot of safe corners,I know because there's a lot of corners I round swinging to kill nothing. Most sneaks are laid out by a ton of white signs and tend to be certain dungeons and enemy types. Anywhere with those stone imp fuckers will be lovely corners.

lite_sleepr posted:

Did I have some fun today.

Have you guys tried to fight the Starscourge?

lmao i think it might've been your blood spatter i saw all over this cave. Good treasure in here, if this bell thingy does what I think it does.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Do yall have a favorite place to try out new spirit ash summons? The main place to summon them is boss fights which aren't really repeatable but there are a decent number of enemy camps etc with spirit-summoning enabled.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm getting a lil tired of dragon or other outdoor bosses vanishing mid fight. I went to fight this one dragon and he had basically his own arena, but for some reason Halfway through his hp he just pools. Usually they come back but this guy decided not to.

FWIW, I didn't check the names, but the dragon I fought last night was a crystal magic kind with blue breathe. I encountered that same dragon today randomly elsewhere, outside of the first arena. Either they're diff dragons of the same breed, or that one that ran away, ran away to there.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I think Bloodbourne takes that cake. This game actually has a lot of safe corners,I know because there's a lot of corners I round swinging to kill nothing. Most sneaks are laid out by a ton of white signs and tend to be certain dungeons and enemy types. Anywhere with those stone imp fuckers will be lovely corners.

lmao i think it might've been your blood spatter i saw all over this cave. Good treasure in here, if this bell thingy does what I think it does.

I'm taking about Radhan, one of the main bosses who reminds me a lot of Magnus the Red. What bell thingy?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

That guy runs away at half health. You can find and kill him elsewhere.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I really hate those necromancers who make the skeletons keep coming back to life.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

RBA Starblade posted:

Who should From collab with to make the backstory for the next Armored Core for them to just put a Ninebreaker on top of? I'm not in the loop of popular sci-fi authors anymore, though, I think GRRM writes some of that too

james S A corey

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Split damage seems pretty fine in this game btw, at least if you can enchant it.

Madness posted:

He's a real son of a bitch and it's obvious he's not fully functional in the arenas he's in. Use the jellyfish if you can summon it, poison turns the ai off because it's just a broken fight.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I just killed the Dragon Agheel and they're telling me to go to the Church of Dragon Communion for something. I go there, there's only an altar to interact with that I can tell. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Split damage seems pretty fine in this game btw, at least if you can enchant it.

He's a real son of a bitch and it's obvious he's not fully functional in the arenas he's in. Use the jellyfish if you can summon it, poison turns the ai off because it's just a broken fight.

oh that's a great tip and I can summon it!