Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Finally beat the campaign. They really seem proud of these survival battles, they have been fun for me but a carpet of Nurgle is sort of designed to survive so even a bunch of soul grinders is like oh hey i wonder how long until they run out of ammo but in the end can't really imagine wanting to do it again with the same faction. What's far more varied and interesting is exploring the myriad ways you can just keep the AI from progressing in the game. I honestly think some of them just loving give up after awhile. Like I kept comically punking the Undivided guy with Ku'Gath in this campaign just plaguing him in every realm of chaos and he just stopped even going into realms even ones I already got. And Skarbrand would like show up in a realm, look at you, and then leave the next turn. The only real competitors were Kislev and Cathay so I invaded them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I think the game picks a subset of the factions to actually attempt getting souls. At least, that’s how it felt in my campaigns where only 2-3 of them were jumping into portals with frequency.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
LL factions are vastly more likely to stabilize and grow but not guaranteed and one bad AR loss can put them in a death spiral. Me and my MP pal have been beating the poo poo out of SkarB and his priorities won't allow him to enter rifts anymore.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Doomykins posted:

LL factions are vastly more likely to stabilize and grow but not guaranteed and one bad AR loss can put them in a death spiral. Me and my MP pal have been beating the poo poo out of SkarB and his priorities won't allow him to enter rifts anymore.

I have quite a few roughly 50 turn campaigns under my belt so far and unfortunately N'Kari gets taken out in quite a few of them, presumably by Skarbrand. This is unfortunate as I'd like to see more Slaanesh invasions of other parts of the map.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Bear Riders are what Demigryph Knights wanted to be. And War Sleds both Heavy and Light are what War Wagons wanted to be.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
I think it's bad that all the chaos factions are at permawar with the human ones. I just finished a game as kairos and I ended up in an alliance with every chaos faction including nurgle who are supposed to be my mortal enemy, since we are at war with the same enemies.

Wouldnt it be cooler if, for example, cathay or kislev could "give in" to chaos by ending their war with them?

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Ristolaz posted:

I think it's bad that all the chaos factions are at permawar with the human ones. I just finished a game as kairos and I ended up in an alliance with every chaos faction including nurgle who are supposed to be my mortal enemy, since we are at war with the same enemies.

Wouldnt it be cooler if, for example, cathay or kislev could "give in" to chaos by ending their war with them?

They need A LOT more around taking deals with chaos and the like, although that might honestly be too much with what the game is currently at. Maybe modders will do something insanely rad with it, but ya, you should be able to offer unusual things to the AI that can make them take deals and you should be able to make odd requests of chaos as the player. Combine that with corruption, cults, and chaos traits having some upsides and you could have a real fun time of things.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I'm on around T80 of a VH Cathay Campaign, I've got two souls and decided to do Realm of Khorne next. I hop in and start merking the rogue armies with a baby doomstack (T5 Crossbows + Glaives and some artillery). A couple of turns later, the Chaos Undivided army shows up with an absolute garbage stack, it was basic Nurgle stuff.

At this point, the AI army sees me and basically just runs the check of "I am near someone I'm at war with, I cannot beat them, let me go into Forced March and stay exactly one pixel away from them at all times.", so now I've got this guy just living on Forced March orbiting me which is just comical and kinda sad. Except every single rogue army pretty much decides to attack him, die(??!?!?!) and fill out his Khorne rage meter thing.

Then he just Forced Marches past/around me and takes the soul since apparently his crapstack is also strong enough to win the quest battle.

I'm now in Immortal Empires waiting room.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ambush next to the entrance, I guess?

But yeah, truly gently caress the rift mechanic. I just want to play the game and it keeps going "nah gently caress you".

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Do Cathay and Kislev not get movement shenanigans? Poor humans.

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 2, 2022

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
now I've kicked over the prologue I'm mucking about in the OP adding some more deets.

whoever posted that I hosed up zhao ming's name can you quote this and your old post, I need to give credit to team

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
also I loved some of the writing regarding even stuff like the techs you had to research and how eg yuri wasn't getting why the ravens were following him or why they made better fletching

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

yuri wasn't getting why the ravens were following him or why they made better fletching

You're gonna have to explain that to me, then. I thought they were just carrion birds. What's special about them, given all the killing going on? What, are the arrows you're shooting cursed?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 2, 2022

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Bloodly posted:

You're gonna have to explain that to me, then. I thought they were just carrion birds. What's special about them, given all the killing going on? What, are the arrows you're shooting cursed?

The raven is the symbol of Tzeentch. Each of the Chaos Gods are represented by a bird.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

dogstile posted:

Ambush next to the entrance, I guess?

But yeah, truly gently caress the rift mechanic. I just want to play the game and it keeps going "nah gently caress you".

I actually tried that as Slaanesh. The enemy army ignored me and got the demon soul anyway.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
I hope that Belakor is a playable lord from the beginning in Immortal Empires for chaos undivided over the Daemon Prince, even without any unit buffs he's still fun to play as a 12k HP, 90 MD flying tank that can drop Pit of Shades and Pendulums. It's kind of bizarre playing him after the game is over when your hardest battles are likely behind you.

It's going to be interesting seeing where this game goes over the next few months considering how radically races like the Skaven changed over the course of TWW2, but it feels like a long road to any of the new races being as interesting. As others have said, IM in its current state would lead to races of the second game just obliterating races from TWW3 due to the step down in power everything seems to have been hit with.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I'm looking forward to daemon DLC's. Apart from some Age of Sigmar models and heroes the daemon armies have basically all units represented in the game already. So I'm hoping they'll invent new stuff for each of the chaos gods until we have a fully fleshed out roster

It'd be a crime if Nurgle didn't get some sort of vomit-farting-fecal-spewing artillery

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
One of the nurgle big monsters already bends over and unleashes a torrent of diarrhea at the opponents so there's that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Things to look forward to with Immortal Empires:

Caravans having some "across the entire planet" routes that let you meet far flung Empires and fight all sorts of interesting enemies along the way.

Outposts giving really fun combinations of units to use in your armies, and your neighbors giving you missions to make it much easier to buddy up with them if you want to.

A massive playground for factions like beastmen or vampirates to roam around

Overhauls and tweaks of older campaigns to account for new factions. Maybe Empire gets campaign mechanics that interact with Kislev?

Nagash being the big nasty threat perhaps? I thought that was what they were going to go for here. But they could always have Nagash be an Immortal Empires thing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Angrymantium posted:

I hope that Belakor is a playable lord from the beginning in Immortal Empires for chaos undivided over the Daemon Prince
I wonder if they'll make it so it will be like Vlad/Isabella, Karl/Volkmar, and Throgrim/Grombrindal where you ca use the same start position for Belakor or Build-A-Demon?

Panfilo posted:

Nagash being the big nasty threat perhaps? I thought that was what they were going to go for here. But they could always have Nagash be an Immortal Empires thing.
CA will pull a Belakor and have Nagash get resurrected via Ursun's blood so you can only play him in the epilogue.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I dunno. A narrative 'epilogue' campaign could be vaguely interesting. The Prologue was fine enough in itself. Doing another one where they can take the gloves off wouldn't be foul, maybe?

Oh, and interesting viewing concerning AI buffs. Seems dynamic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AlWl7f3KI8

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 2, 2022

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I wonder if they'll make it so it will be like Vlad/Isabella, Karl/Volkmar, and Throgrim/Grombrindal where you ca use the same start position for Belakor or Build-A-Demon?

Ideally yeah, but given how Satoriel was never made available in the campaign, I'm concerned CA is going to pull that again and forget about him when it comes to importing stuff to IE. He should be the lord for Chaos Undivided obviously, but considering everyone gets him as an end of game reward, I could see him just not getting assigned to a faction at all.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

dogstile posted:

Same here, the rifts just add pointless tedium and work against the way I like to play. I started playing wh2 after mortal empires came out, and I think I finished the vortex campaign fully once? Same thing is probably going to happen in this game.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Angrymantium posted:

Ideally yeah, but given how Satoriel was never made available in the campaign, I'm concerned CA is going to pull that again and forget about him when it comes to importing stuff to IE. He should be the lord for Chaos Undivided obviously, but considering everyone gets him as an end of game reward, I could see him just not getting assigned to a faction at all.

Sarthoriel was a true CA invention added as an easter egg for MP. Belakor is an established character. I wouldn't be too worried.

Although it's really hard to make chaos predictions until we see the big map, and how Warriors are like in it.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

With the Vortex campaign, you have the option of throwing the other factions out of the game for the rest of the campaign if you complete that battle. With the Realms of Chaos, they just come back later.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

It's called Mortal Empires, you guys.

Mortal Empires.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think they call it immortal empires for WH3

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Grimson posted:

Mortal Empires.

Everyone's started calling it Immortal since Demon factions are now in the mix.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Finally doing well with Cathay. My thoughts:

Heroes: Metal seems more useful, in addition to magic she gets unit buff skills that are pretty interesting (piercing, magic, or fire? Which is best?). But I think the astromancer gets a war compass mount, and magic amplification could be bonkers if you really stack it.

Peasant units: Your cheap tier 0.5 units, seem fine for what they do and mid game you can set it up to throw up armies of them for almost nothing. Because their low stats I feel they get the most benefit from harmony and other buffs.

Jade units: Good armor and decent selection of options. A lack of true great weapon/dual weapon option is a little disappointing but I guess we can't have everything.

Celestial guard units: Your T3 halberd and crossbow guys. Halberds I feel get a little outclassed by their monster counterparts because they've still got the low mass of infantry and get swatted around just the same. The xbows at least are durable enough to fend off light cavalry or enemy missile fire on their own and are probably the most self reliant missile unit in the arsenal.

Gunpowder units: Iron hail gunners are very hard to use effectively and probably not worth the hassle outside of siege defense. Crane gunners are basically Jezzails. In theory good for countering slow shielded units like chaos warriors and decent vs heavy cavalry and easy to hit lords. They fire rather slow and in spite of their range don't feel particularly devastating.

Balloons: The first is basically a flying crane gunner unit which has the benefit of great field of fire but an absolute sitting duck vs anything that can shoot back. The second is a flying rocket battery that trades volume of fire for flight. Not bad in terms of keeping them safe and in LOS to targets.

Artillery: They are the only new faction with traditional manned artillery. But for artillery it is decent, fire damage makes it good vs Trolls and the like, and they have so many buffs for ranged units in combat you can accomplish a lot with them.

War compass/Terra cotta soldier: The war compass really should have been some luminark type ranged weapon because as is it doesn't feel useful for what you get. The big guy on the other hand is a useful tank for drawing melee attention away from your gun line though like a Heirotitan they are painfully slow.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the flying rockets are fun to use manual aiming with

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

From my campaign I consistently saw my flying rocket do better than ground rockets. I'm going to assume it's just guaranteed elevation gives them way better angles of fire, and they seem to be able to keep firing when the lines meet.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Onmi posted:

The raven is the symbol of Tzeentch. Each of the Chaos Gods are represented by a bird.

Surprised Nurgle also has a bird instead of some fat fly.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
It's a tradeoff, the flying rockets have a great vantage point and while slow are still more mobile than ground artillery since they can fly over obstacles (or hover directly above them). In exchange their salvos are much smaller and they are more susceptible to enemy artillery since they're so easy to hit.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

the +weapon damage event is so bad for ogres the game predicted a pyrrhic victory for my main army ambushing a cheap 20 stack

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Lightning strike seems to give the same exp as beating up all of the reinforcing stacks too, at least in autoresolve. I autoresolved a lightning strike against a level 4 lord with no army and got 11k exp, presumably because a damaged 11-stack, an untouched full stack, and a 14-unit garrison would otherwise have reinforced.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Autoresolve will often give very favorable results if reinforcing armies are present. Normally in that type of fight the reinforcements arrive too late to be of much use but autoresolve assumes they were all fighting at the same time.

This is particularly good if you sit in ambush stance by a settlement. If the enemy takes the bait you can crush him on very favorable terms.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Grimson posted:

Mortal Empires.

You should start picking the size and shape of the hat you are going to eat in a couple weeks.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any tips on which direction to expand as Kislev. I have taken out the Ropesman clan and the other Norsca tribe around the capital. I already have low devotion and supporters so I don't know if I should fight other Kislev clans. I was hoping to take more land and confederate but currently I don't have enough for them to think about that.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Staltran posted:

Lightning strike seems to give the same exp as beating up all of the reinforcing stacks too, at least in autoresolve. I autoresolved a lightning strike against a level 4 lord with no army and got 11k exp, presumably because a damaged 11-stack, an untouched full stack, and a 14-unit garrison would otherwise have reinforced.

Yeah, experience is based on the size of the fight now. I attacked a single lord stack with a garrison and full stack right next to them and received enough experience for several levels when I routed the lord before the reinforcements showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Bloodly posted:

I dunno. A narrative 'epilogue' campaign could be vaguely interesting. The Prologue was fine enough in itself. Doing another one where they can take the gloves off wouldn't be foul, maybe?

Oh, and interesting viewing concerning AI buffs. Seems dynamic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AlWl7f3KI8

I agree, because I want something to tie the ending to the other games, if they want us to think of it as a whole series. All the races have a bit of epilogue text after you beat the Realm of Chaos campaign, and the ones I’ve seen all have a bit where the Advisor goes blind soon as he tries to use the book for himself, and Sarthorael, in the guise of the white crow, talks to him. That means he is up to something spooky in every other campaign, and his being a pawn of Tzeentch wasn’t a WoC timeline-only thing. But due to the way the series’ chronology works, noting will come of it, unless you do a Warriors of Chaos ME or Old World campaign, and then the big buildup is just for a feckless attempt at usurping the Everchosen.